TV Official Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Ben

Reaction score
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion Thread

Don't know if anyone has been keeping up with casting but they've filled a few major roles for season 3. Both the Black Fish(Being Played By Clive Russel) and Mance Rayder(Being Played by Ciaran Hinds who was Ceaser in HBO's Rome another fantastic season. There's been some smaller casting announced but those are the 2 big ones so far. Really just waiting on who's going to play Ramsay Bolton. Honestly can't wait until April.

Reaction score

They're both extremely good shows. They're un-comparable too though, since both shows are different genres.

True but if you've read the books, I would argue that the books are better than the show. That isn't to say that the show isn't good. It definitely is but I suppose because one is based on a book and the other is a brand new idea, I find the latter more creative.

I do think that Game of Thrones is one of the best shows on television.

Pete

Reaction score

The only thing I don't like about GoT (other than fanboy-ish nitpicking of inaccuracies, i.e. why is Rickon as old as Bran, why is everyone older, etc) is the battle sequences. Fight coreography is often very cheesy (reminiscent of a wrestling match actually). The actress who plays Sansa is also extremely poor.

With that said, I am in awe of the Catelyn Stark performance - I've recommended that people who dislike the show just watch her act, and at least give her credit. Tyrion is also every bit as good as in the books, and Draco Baratheon (erm, sorry, Joffrey) makes me want to smack him. Varys is also awesome, and Arya, of course, is the best character of both the books and the show. But I disagree with the Loras/Renly/gay storyline (not in the books AFAIK) and with them having given Littlefinger gay mannerisms.

Just my opinion after having watched Season 1.

Reaction score

The only thing I don't like about GoT (other than fanboy-ish nitpicking of inaccuracies, i.e. why is Rickon as old as Bran, why is everyone older, etc) is the battle sequences. Fight coreography is often very cheesy (reminiscent of a wrestling match actually). The actress who plays Sansa is also extremely poor.

With that said, I am in awe of the Catelyn Stark performance - I've recommended that people who dislike the show just watch her act, and at least give her credit. Tyrion is also every bit as good as in the books, and Draco Baratheon (erm, sorry, Joffrey) makes me want to smack him. Varys is also awesome, and Arya, of course, is the best character of both the books and the show. But I disagree with the Loras/Renly/gay storyline (not in the books AFAIK) and with them having given Littlefinger gay mannerisms.

Just my opinion after having watched Season 1.

I don't think they did a good job casting Sansa either. She's supposed to be a very beautiful teenager. No offense to the actress but she's not exactly how I pictured Sana in the books. Her acting is off as you said.

I also watched season 1 and was impressed with Tyrion, Ned, Arya and King Robert mainly. Viserys and Joffrey were also very well cast considering that I hate them on the show as much as I do on the books.

I don't like the Lord Renly/Loras gay storyline either. It has been hinted in the book that he might be gay but we don't know for sure. I would have preferred if they left it that way. I'm fine with gay couples on television but this storyline doesn't correspond to the book.

Last edited:

MrMister

Reaction score

Sansa gets her looks from Cat, who is supposed to be quite attractive. Maybe they didn't want to cast a girl so much better looking than her mom? At any rate, I don't see the problem with the actress playing Sansa. She's got whiny, delusional, clueless teenager down. Cat not being really good looking doesn't even matter either. I totally agree that Michelle Fairley is greatness on this show. And OH SHIT will she own this role later when...ok I won't spoil anything.

Loras and Renly being gay in the book is fact. It's not mentioned much, but they were 100% lovers.

Reaction score

Catelyn Stark is a milf. Just admit it. :side:

Well, they did hint at it but I didn't think it was that obvious. I'll take your word for it. :side:

MrMister

Reaction score

Cat is a milf. I say this with conviction.

It is only hinted at, the gayness, but it is definitely fact.

:side:
^^^yes now I know how to use the two greatest emoticons in the history of mankind.

Reactions: 1 person

Dademo

Reaction score

I wouldn't fuck Cat. Now Margaery Tyrell... different story :yes:

Pete

Reaction score

Catelyn Stark is a milf. Just admit it. :side:

Well, they did hint at it but I didn't think it was that obvious. I'll take your word for it. :side:

TOTAL MILF! I'm crushing :Smitten:

And now, WITH knowledge of the gay storyline, I see all the hints scattered throughout Clash of Kings. Doubt that I would have intepreted them that way otherwise.

Re: the casting of Viserys, he was by and large the worst actor on the show. His hammy acting constantly reminded me of John Travolta on Battlefield Earth. I kept expecting him to bust out with "When you were still learning how to SPELL YOUR NAME...!!!"

Also, "Robb! You've *ruined*! Your *sword*!" Mum, is that you? :p

Last edited:

Pete

Reaction score

Just out of curiosity, who are y'all supporting to be the new ruler of the Seven Kingdoms?

I don't think either of them is a perfect candidate (that would be Ned), but so far I'm actually supporting Robb. He seems to be the most intelligent and sensible of the candidates. I usually hate rooting for the hero, but in this case, he's really the only one out of the lot who is not whiny, immature, or stupidly proud. My second choice would be Dany, because SHE HAS DRAGONS!, but I realize she would not make a very good Queen - she's too impulsive and vindictive, and much more loyal to the Dothraki than to the people of Westeros.

Out of the non-candidates, I actually think Tyrion would make an excellent king. He's cunning, fair, and he can be kind or ruthless in equal measure. Plus he can see through everyone and read them like an open book. Catelyn would of course make a good Queen also, but that takes me back to my point about Ned.

Bear in mind I am only halfway into Book 2, so my opinions may change as I read more. As of right now, however, my ranking stands as follows:

1. Robb Stark
2. Daenerys Targaryen
3. Renly Baratheon (he's childish, but he does seem to have at least a modicum of kindness and sensibility)
4. Stannis Baratheon (but he's too proud for his own good, plus he'd need to turn that frown upside down)
5. Theon Greyjoy (no hope in hell, gets played like a fiddle by his sister)
6. Joffrey Baratheon/Lannister (obvious to all but the chronically blind)

Outsiders ranked:

1. ARYA STARK (if only...)
2. Ned Stark/Catelyn Stark
3. Tyrion Lannister
4. Brandon Stark
5. Jon Snow
6. Thommen Lannister/Baratheon (I like him so far)

What are your thoughts?

MrMister

Reaction score

I thought the guy playing Viserys was great. That character is just an impossible to like over the top spoiled brat, not to mention he was insane. I thought Harry Lloyd portrayed him quite well.

Of those characters you list, Stannis would be the best ruler. But I agree that Tyrion would make a great king. He's intelligent above all but isn't without empathy and compassion. Can also be ruthless if he needs to be. He really is an improved version of Tywin.

Pete

Reaction score

Tywin is an ass who's all hung up on Mr. Perfect Pretty-Boy Jaime. Fuck him. I hope Tyrion screws him over good.

Pete

Reaction score

*reading Clash of Kings*

Well THAT was unexpected! :OMG: