Did The Rock "Sell-Out"?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Travis40

I guess his last match was supposed to be Rock and Foley vs. Evolution at WM XX in 2004...it wasn't that great of a match anyways.

The Rated R CMStar

He did sell out Trav, he doesn't has an obligation to do anything for the WWE, but what is the difficult in taping, not even appearing live, just taping a 3 minute comment, toss out 3 catchprazes, insult a current wrestler and raise your eyebrow, that's all.
It's not about the fact that he doesn't even mentions in any form that he was in wrestling in interviews, it is the fact that you have to be humble enough to accept that if it wasn't for the WWE, you wouldn't be anywhere near a movie set, so return a damn favor

Jabroni

Reaction score
hmm, so u dont think hes done enough in the wwe, hes been given back the favour making appearacnes and busting his ass for over 7 years for all of us ! non stop, He did NOT sell out ! , he would never do that after most of his family and stuff in the buisness, he gave everything and did it all, i mean they were starting to use him as a jobber ! for e.g losing to Hurricane !(Helms) i mean CMON! and then losing at mania to Evoulution !, he didnt want to be shit like kane, i mean Rocks been at the top and stayed there! he didnt want to waste all that work for nothing and get fans thinking hes shit and slow like hogan ! he wanted to quit while he was just starting 2 slow down , and anyway , i think anyone here would do the same what he did, either get ur body fucked up ! ?? or ... dont get the body fucked, and earn 5 times more money and earn a good living, rocks a great man and would never turn his back on the fans ! Rocky 4 eva , im backing him all the way no matter how dissapointend i am he wont be there monday :( If Ya Smeeeeeeellllllll What The Rock Is ........ Cookin !

circle

Reaction score
The Rock didn't sell out. While he was under contract for WWE he plugged them and the movies he did wherever he went, but when his contract expired...he stopped doing so. He was never obligated to discuss wrestling after that. Yeah he did some video promos and stuff, but after 2005 he really stepped away from the spotlight and only does stuff if it will bring meaning. Like Vince and Trump.

As far as losing to the Hurricane...he put him over only to bury him the next week.

Him and Foley losing to Evolution at WM 20. Well it was to put over Orton and Batista.

Even the late wrestling career of The Rock he put over Brock in Summerslam 2002. Goldberg in 2003 (he helped bring goldberg in to WWE). Orton and Batista in 2004.

The Rock can still electrify the crowds, and to me is one of the all time greats...face or heel.

As far as SCSA he had to carry WM19 b/c SCSA looked like crap. Sorry love SCSA, but watching the match The Rock made it happen.

Jabroni

Reaction score
totally agree, and austin had a heart attack or something the day before , that y he looked like crap plus rock was going to win anyway :p

Reaction score
I dont believe he sold out, i believe the term for it would be "betraying the buisness". I believe hes not going to be on raw because hes trying to distance himself fom the name "The Rock" seeing as all his movies will be billed as Dwane Johnson. although he shoudl prolly do the right thing and just tape a segment for raw, seeing as HE HELPED TO BUILD THE BRAND.

The Rated R CMStar

Jabroni, you are not understanding, it's not the fact that he doesn't talk about wrestling no more, it's not about the fact that he is distancing from "The Rock".

You don't have to be under contract to remember who made you. If it weren't for wrestling, he wouldn't ever made a movie. Heck, if it weren't for Vince giving him a second chance in his career he would never be what he is, because if you remember his first part of his career was a failure.
So, WWE didn't ask him to appear live on Raw, didn't ask him to put his body on the line. They asked him to be part of the biggest event in recent times for the show that made him what he is by the way, by just letting a camera crew into his mansion, and shooting a 3 minute promo. That was all.

And Jabroni, stopped it. Hurricane defeated The Rock once, with a roll up, but got owned in their promos and then lost a match cleanly next week. In my eyes that is no jobbing.

Bruno Sammartino

Reaction score
Yea the rock has not even got a vendeata against vince like bret hart. He just is to much of a sell out to do one more aperance let alone match.

Airfixx

Glad to see the notion of seling out is at least understood by SOME people.... LOL

"He didn't sell out, he just opted for more money for an easier life whilst no longer wanting anything to do with what got him where he is today."

Hmmmm..... Convincing argument guys!

IMO he doesn't owe Vince any more than I owe it to my current employer to 'keep my hand in' once I decide to leave, but he SHOULD do it for the fans.

Blitzkrieg

Reaction score
Dwanye Johnson wants to do movies, it's his life and you have no right to tell him what to do. He doesn't want to be the Rock anymore, he justs wants to be himself doing his own thing and I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

Plus, there's YouTube and that's got most of his best moments all over it.

thedeadite

Reaction score
I would think Dwayne Johnson wants everyone to remember "the Rock".
Considering he's not "the Rock" anymore, why do a promo under that guise.
Maybe he didn't have time in his schedule..or maybe he doesn't have the "passion" for the business anymore, and knows that doing even a promo while not really "feeling it" like he used to seems more like "betraying the business" than doing nothing at all.

I loved playing in a certain band at one point in my life, but if the other guys ever planned a reunion show and I didn't have the same passion for it anymore, i wouldn't feel like i was being honest with the fans. So i wouldn't do it.

It's not selling out, it's not going out there when you know you might ruin the image that you put so much of yourself into to create.

That's just my thoughts on this, god knows what his are.

Jabroni

Reaction score
oh but it is ! how low was he going , having a matches against hurricane and crap like that !, The Rock did not sell out !

He stil uses the name the rock, hs signed a contract with Disney now, and hes said in the episodes that people call him The Rockm
he didnt sell, he gave it all in this buisness over 7 years of blood sweat and guts, he did it all, he had nothing else to prove
yes he couldv done a quick promo for raw anniverssary , but hey maybe he had something else on his mind.

and all u reading this, if you had a choice what would it be ?

After 7-8 years working ur ass off and being the best in the buisness, and has done it all in the wwf/wwe

1, Would you retire , and look back at a successful career ? and become a movie star earning 10 times better money form what you were ?

or 2, stay in wrestling, fuck up your body m start jobbing eventually, then all your work to get to the top has ended up as fuckall seeing that 3 years later you lose to a knowbody , and youll end up being a foley , who knowone really givesa fuck about no more because of his 100 returns a year ! so ye !

Rock made the best decision in his life, plus hes good enough to give his time up for Make a Wish Foundation , unlike other celebrities/wrestlers, not alot do that!

so ye If Ya Smeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllll What The Rock !,..... IS ..............Cookin !!!!!!!! Rock 4 LIFE !
so Fuck u CMS u know jack SHIT !

Airfixx

I understand the whole re-formed rock band analogy offered here, but it doesn't translate appropriately given the way the wrestling business is structured and careers are built....

How often has it been said that the Rock only made a go of his 2nd incarnation cos he & Vince listened to the fans?

IMO, Rock at least owes recognition (by means of the occasional appearance, promo or whatever - Not necessarily even a match.) to the fans who made him until he's decrepid and cenile! ;o]

Edgehead2593

Reaction score
He can atleast take the time to bust in and drop an elbow.