Did The Rock "Sell-Out"?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kaedon

Reaction score
First off, just because it hasn't happened as of yet does not mean that it can't nor won't. That's just first on the list.

Second. Man, I respect you, but you're wrong here. Like not even close to being on the right side. You're acting like you're so far up Vince's ass we can barely see your feet. The A-Man summed up everything I would've said here so I'm not going to bother wasting the time basically re-iterating what he said. Just go re-read his post.

Vince may have given the Rock the stage to shine on, but it was the Rock who got noticed, not because of Vince, but because of who he is, and his charisma, and timing. And you can't sit there and say that he never would've gotten noticed if he hadn't have worked with the WWE because you don't know that. Stick to the facts, you're better at those.

It has nothing to do with "my head being up Vince's ass" or w/e. If, for some reason, Ric Flair were to have done the same thing in WCW, I'd say the same thing because its fucking bullshit.

You want some facts? Here are some facts...

FACT: Success in wrestling has direct correlation with time given on TV.
FACT: Given WCW's bad booking and track record of not allowing new stars to emerge (with the one exception of Goldberg (and even he got buried)) the likelihood of The Rock getting a chance there, is severely minimal at best. Tell me in wrong there...
FACT: Only ONE player in the history of the NBA has ever made a semi-successful crossover into mainstream movies and that is Shaquille O'Neal. Thats ONE PLAYER since the 1960s when the NBA first started to be scantly televised.
FACT: Zero NFL players have made a Rock/Piper/Hogan successful turn into movies EVER since the 1960s. OJ Simpson is the only one who even comes CLOSE and he just had cameo's in the Naked Gun series.
FACT: It IS possible to do movies AND wrestle if you really, truly, love the business, all you have to do is look at Pipers and Hogans careers to see that.
FACT: Just because you have natural skills and talent DOES NOT MEAN you are going to get noticed. How many hundreds of thousands of musicians, artists, athletes, and others have had natural talent and were overlooked because no one noticed them?

You're right MS, just because it HASNT happened, doesnt mean it CANT. However, there is always a ghost of a chance of anything happening at any time in this world, but how often does it? Speaking in general terms? How often does the improbable and the impossible happen? You can buck the odds all you want, that doesn't mean anything will happen. Bet on your longshot, the only way that longshot wins is by luck. And that's what Rock would have needed if it wasn't for the WWE. He would have had to be hit by a meteor in the same place lighting struck to get as hot as he is without the help of the WWE.

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

the rock owes wrestling nothing. he entertained millions of fans and moved on. we should applauld him, because he isnt going to wrestle until hes old and fat like road warrior animal, ric flair etc

Rell

Reaction score
I think you love wrestling just a tad too much :laugh:

Montana

The Rock (unlike Hogan) is a Hollywood A-Lister, why would he destroy his image by returning to wrestling which is frowned upon by many, especially with the steroid & death scandals that have been going on lately. It makes no sense at all.

Saying he used WWE to make him a "megastar" is idiotic. Thats like saying Michael Jordan used Chicago to make him a legend. Sure they gave him the opportunity to become a star, but it wasn't guaranteed. Hard work, and effort got "The Rock" where he is today and he owes us nothing.

Thats what im talking about, The rock IS a sell out because he doesnt stick up for the business that made him the ROCK. Dwayne Johnson shits on the business that made him, which is why he is a sell out, and he's NO LONGER a A- Lister my friend. People that dont even watch wrestling call him a sell out.

Rell

Reaction score
So the Rock isn't one of the most recognizable names in Hollywood? Are you kidding me.

The A-man

Reaction score
Thats what im talking about, The rock IS a sell out because he doesnt stick up for the business that made him the ROCK. Dwayne Johnson shits on the business that made him, which is why he is a sell out, and he's NO LONGER a A- Lister my friend. People that dont even watch wrestling call him a sell out.

Really? So, just becuase the wrestling industry takes some heat based on whats been going down and a big name who used to work for it doesn't stick up it makes him a sell-out?? Now, you think pro wrestling made who he is??

Look, the guy was the one responsible for for what HE did and all the hard work he put himself through. You can watch ANY of his matches slighty after his time with the Nation Of Domination and you can see for yourself. He feel in love with the business and made it his passion and entertained the fans every single night. He leaves the business for another career and you guys turn you back on him for such a childish reason and call him a sell-out??

I have a good feeling that some of the guys here feel a bit betrayed by Dwayne for leaving wrestling and doing whatever he wants. Nevermind the other fans of the business, I'm thinking the you guys, CMS, Kaedon, and Montana, that Dwayne owes YOU something. That he turn his back on you all, personally. What, you all have some sort of vendetta against him?

Kaedon

Reaction score
Really? So, just becuase the wrestling industry takes some heat based on whats been going down and a big name who used to work for it doesn't stick up it makes him a sell-out?? Now, you think pro wrestling made who he is??

Look, the guy was the one responsible for for what HE did and all the hard work he put himself through. You can watch ANY of his matches slighty after his time with the Nation Of Domination and you can see for yourself. He feel in love with the business and made it his passion and entertained the fans every single night. He leaves the business for another career and you guys turn you back on him for such a childish reason and call him a sell-out??

I have a good feeling that some of the guys here feel a bit betrayed by Dwayne for leaving wrestling and doing whatever he wants. Nevermind the other fans of the business, I'm thinking the you guys, CMS, Kaedon, and Montana, that Dwayne owes YOU something. That he turn his back on you all, personally. What, you all have some sort of vendetta against him?

He developed a love for the business? Ok, tell me this, have you ever been in love with a girl? Have you ever woke up one day and decided. ahhh I dont love you any more. If the answer is yes? Guess what, you didnt love her. It's the same thing with this. If he truly LOVED the business, he wouldnt have left it when it really needed him the most. If he REALLY loved the biz, he would have found a way to do it AND do movies. Another comparison is a kid and his parents. My mother busted her ass to give me everything I could need when I was growing up. What kind of a kid would I be if I just said "Ok thanks mom but im done with you, see ya later." Fuck that shit. I am there to help my mom and family with whatever they need because they helped raise me and make me the man I am today. Sure, I would have grown up, but I wouldnt be who I am right now without them, the same way "The Rock" wouldnt be "The Rock" without the WWE and the fans.

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

the rock wouldnt be what the rock is today no. but what would wwe be like today if the rock never existed?? would the attitude era have fallen apart?? who would have been left?? just stone cold. so the rock helped wwe when they were struggling before. does he need to come back and help wwe again. no, he doesnt have to. what you guys are saying is that because he entertained you, and stopped wanting to do that with his life, he owes you. thats just wrong. the rock has the rite to do what he wants wit hhis life, not what you want

Rell

Reaction score
We're all stubborn so I'm sure nothing we say will sway another's judgment at this point but I will say this...

Anyone who calls The Rock a "sell-out" is either obsessed, selfish, misinformed, or all of the above.

Let me ask you this...Chris Hero was given an opportunity by CZW, a wrestling organization based on the hardcore style of wrestling (which is frowned upon by many). He took full advantage of that opportunity and is now one of the bigger independent names on the market. He's attained success in ROH as well as various other independent promotions however, he chooses not to wrestle in CZW anymore. Does that make him a sell-out? Does he owe his life to CZW as they were the promotion that gave him his big break?

In my humble opinion, He's progressed his career a great deal, it wouldn't make sense for him to back-track in order to make a few people happy.

Its the same situation with The Rock imo

Kaedon

Reaction score
Yes that was a huge break for Chris Hero. I see him on TV every day.....are you fucking kidding me? Just because it was his FIRST break doesnt mean it was his biggest one. And Hero is still in the business. He isnt shitting all over something that men have given up their lives and families for. He isnt treating CZW like its a pariah, the darkest spot of his career. CZW didnt make Chris Hero, fucking Chris Hero isnt made. He isnt a household name, THE ROCK, is. To compare the two is idiotic beyond description. But if you must use this flawed analogy, take a look at it like this. Rowdy Roddy Piper got his biggest break in Portland back in the 70s. When he left to go to the WWE, he REFUSED to work against the man who gave him his first break. He told Vince "fuck you im not working against Don Owens" because without Don Owens, Roddy Piper wouldnt have gotten to where he got to. He understood that and he showed Portland and Don Owens the RESPECT they deserve. He didn't shit all over them. He didn't say "well tough shit, thats business" because to some people, there are more important things than business, obviously not in the Rocks case however...

Rell

Reaction score
80xprnk.jpg

haha You set yourself up for that one

tbh, You totally missed the entire point. Seriously

and that post was actually meant for Montana...

You seem pretty hell bent on proving The Rock is a sell-out Kaedon. It seems as if you're living vicariously through wrestling (if thats possible) Is life kicking your ass that much?

Kaedon

Reaction score
Actually thats the point of any form of sports and sometimes entertainment too. I cant throw a pass like Brett Favre but I get excited as hell when he does it. And btw, thanks for totally ignoring everything I have said and not responding in a logical and concise manner. The fact that you cant and have sunk into the "Har har I will make fun of you mod" just proves that A, youre an idiot, and B, I am right. All you did was say "well you missed the point" without explaining how. That's the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and saying LALALALALALALALA, I CANT HEAR YOU, LALALALALALALALA. Come back to me when you have something intelligent to say, which will be a quarter to never. Wheres MS? He knows how to debate...>_>

Rell

Reaction score
You seem to care about this irrelevant problem a tad too much, is your life that unfufilling? Like I said we're all stubborn and are not going to change our views for anyone, but to go back & forth heatedly over a professional wrestler is pointless & embarrassing.

There is Genocide in Rwanda
Unjustly deaths in Iraq
Spreading Aids epidemic in Africa
Dangerous levels of Arsenic Poisoning in Bangladesh

And we're engaging in a heated war of words over...The Rock?

Its preposterous! :shifty:

SuckIt

Reaction score
I'll never forget what The Rock did for the business in the Attitude Era, he was one of the reasons that so many people got into wrestling at that time. I don't see why he can't make the odd appearance on a show though (not as often as Austin, maybe more like Foley perhaps). It's obvious he wants people to forget "The Rock the wrestler" and concentrate on "Dwayne Johnson the movie star"

Kaedon

Reaction score
You seem to care about this irrelevant problem a tad too much, is your life that unfufilling? Like I said we're all stubborn and are not going to change our views for anyone, but to go back & forth heatedly over a professional wrestler is pointless & embarrassing.

There is Genocide in Rwanda
Unjustly deaths in Iraq
Spreading Aids epidemic in Africa
Dangerous levels of Arsenic Poisoning in Bangladesh

And we're engaging in a heated war of words over...The Rock?

Its preposterous! :shifty:

More deflection from Hell Rell. Which proves, yet again, that I am right.

And as far as your deflective argument goes, why did you even bother commenting on this then? I mean if its SO irrelevant. Hell, why are you even on these forums? Why aren't you on the Genocide and Death in Africa forums? Sorry, that logic doesnt fly.