WWE Payback 2013 Preview & LIVE Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Viper

Reaction score

WWE PAYBACK LIVE DISCUSSION THREAD

Moving on from Extreme Rules, we head to WWE's new PPV simply named Payback. At Extreme Rules, the Last Man Standing match between WWE Champion John Cena and Ryback hit an abrupt end as Ryback sent Cena crashing through the set taking out both men. It's only logical to think that we'll see those two go at it again for the title. Also Alberto Del Rio became the number one contender to Dolph Ziggler's World Heavyweight Championship by defeating Jack Swagger in an "I Quit" match. Provided that Ziggler is ready to compete again by Payback then Del Rio will finally get his one on one rematch for the title.

Keep an eye out for this thread as the matches are announced, then join us live on June 16th to discuss the PPV itself.

------------------------------------------------------------------

WWE Championship (Three Stages of Hell Match) - John Cena (C) vs. Ryback

World Heavyweight Championship - Dolph Ziggler (C) vs. Alberto Del Rio

Chris Jericho vs. CM Punk

WWE Tag Team Championship - Roman Reigns & Seth Rollins (C) vs. Daniel Bryan & Randy Orton

WWE Intercontinental Championship - Wade Barrett (C) vs. The Miz vs. Curtis Axel

WWE Divas Championship - Kaitlyn (C) vs. AJ Lee

WWE United States Championship - Dean Ambrose(C) vs. Kane

Ocs9Pw3.jpg

Special Payback "Kickoff" Match (Pre-Show) - Damien Sandow vs. Sheamus

Last edited by a moderator:

The Viper

Reaction score
Re: WWE Payback 2013 Discussion

Ambulance Match between John Cena and Ryback for the WWE Title has been added to the OP.

If it's as entertaining as their Last Man Standing match, I'm good.

Mitch Buchannon

Free Palestine
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
kyleoreilly
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
u6DnU5I

Loving the new Ryback. This will be an awesome match.

Castiel

Reaction score

How did Cena accept the challenge if he wasn't on Raw? Either way it should be good, I remember digging the ambulance match with Kane I believe. Love the commercial for this PPV btw!

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8

The promo looks really good, hopefully the PPV is too.

The Viper

Reaction score

Jericho/Punk added to OP.

What an anticlimactic return for Punk, imo. I can't wait to see him again but damn, it's enough that the Highlight Reel segment last night was total crap and just dragged on for, what felt like, 30 minutes. Now, we have Punk returning with no pop. He wasn't even there to accept the challenge himself. Really random. I guess they can go the route of "Punk might not even show up" for the next couple of weeks, then at the show, Jericho doubts his arrival, then Punk's music hits. Maybe that way can be fine since it's in Chicago. He'll get a huge reaction either way but a surprise return would have been much better. At least for me.

Mitch Buchannon

Free Palestine
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
kyleoreilly
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
u6DnU5I

What an anticlimactic return for Punk, imo. I can't wait to see him again but damn, it's enough that the Highlight Reel segment last night was total crap and just dragged on for, what felt like, 30 minutes. Now, we have Punk returning with no pop. He wasn't even there to accept the challenge himself. Really random. I guess they can go the route of "Punk might not even show up" for the next couple of weeks, then at the show, Jericho doubts his arrival, then Punk's music hits. Maybe that way can be fine since it's in Chicago. He'll get a huge reaction either way but a surprise return would have been much better. At least for me.
Honestly the segment was the best part of the show. The only other thing that was better was the Shield vs. Team Hell No match. They probably had the feeling that if they went too many weeks without mentioning one of their biggest draws, fans would get upset.

The Viper

Reaction score

Honestly the segment was the best part of the show. The only other thing that was better was the Shield vs. Team Hell No match. They probably had the feeling that if they went too many weeks without mentioning one of their biggest draws, fans would get upset.

I personally thought that entire segment was crap. A few good parts here and there but it just felt like it dragged and dragged. Got really bored by the end of it.

Your last point makes sense, though.

Postman Dave

Reaction score

Something about the Punk announcement screams swerve. Seems weird to announce it this far ahead and not follow through though.

Looking at the booking these past few shows, Shield vs. Orton/Sheamus looks likely I reckon.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Looking at the booking these past few shows, Shield vs. Orton/Sheamus looks likely I reckon.
I haven't been paying too much attention, but I was under the impression that Sheamus was moving on to feud with Sandow. As for The Shield, have Hell No had their official rematch yet? If not then I would assume it takes place on the PPV as well, with The Shield winning and Bryan completing the turn. I'm pretty sure we'll be getting a triple-threat for the IC Title based on the Barrett/Miz/Fandango antics, and perhaps Orton moves on to challenge Ambrose for the US Title? They do have a match this coming SD which could be used to set that up.

Mitch Buchannon

Free Palestine
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
kyleoreilly
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
u6DnU5I

I'm thinking it's more than likely to be Orton/Sheamus vs. Shield vs. Rhodes Scholars vs. Hell No for the titles with WWE's penchant for doing fatal four way matches this time of year.

Postman Dave

Reaction score

I'm thinking it's more than likely to be Orton/Sheamus vs. Shield vs. Rhodes Scholars vs. Hell No for the titles with WWE's penchant for doing fatal four way matches this time of year.

That's not a bad guess actually.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

That's not a bad guess actually.
Not a bad guess but not really a match I'd like to see. I'd be worried about too many cooks spoiling the broth. Also, I must have missed something but I can't imagine Rhodes Scholars having earned themselves a tag title shot at any point.

Mitch Buchannon

Free Palestine
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
kyleoreilly
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
u6DnU5I

Not a bad guess but not really a match I'd like to see. I'd be worried about too many cooks spoiling the broth. Also, I must have missed something but I can't imagine Rhodes Scholars having earned themselves a tag title shot at any point.
It's more that they both have been feuding with both Orton and Sheamus and Team Hell No.

Sabretooth

Reaction score

The highlight reel was amazing. Jericho was golden as was Heyman. Punk returning at a ppv is also a good move.