WWE Network is failing big time

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
http://www.businessinsider.com/wwe-network-makes-new-push-for-subscribers-2014-7

http://www.businessinsider.com/vince-mcmahons-wwe-network-plan-impodes-2014-5

The bad news for the company started in April, when it announced the WWE Network had only 667,000 subscribers after telling investors the service could have as many as 2 million subscribers by the end of the year.

The following month, it released an adjusted business outlook that said the network would lose the company $50 million this year if subscription rates did not increase. That news, combined with a disappointing new TV rights contract, caused company stock to crash so badly that CEO and chairman Vince McMahon lost a third of his fortune in one day.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Hopefully they are still offering the free week come Battleground time in what like a week and a half, I will definitely sign up for that.

The "good" thing is they said the budget cuts they've been doing are actually working, we'll see if that same statement occurs when they have to release 4-5 more superstars/workers..

667k subscribers to me seemed like the realistic number that they should've expected when coming up with the idea, especially in the first year.. Tbh there's few things they could do help it out.. 50% off one item at the WWE Shop for every 6 month subscription.. Maybe a free PPV poster from one of the PPVs through the 6 months the person is subscribed to.. Basically the ideas involve merchandise :p

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see if a bunch of people unsubscribe when the 6 months is up. Would be crazy if the number went even lower and investors got even more antsy.

Saylor

Champion
Reaction score
Website
www.wweforums.net
Will be interesting to see if a bunch of people unsubscribe when the 6 months is up. Would be crazy if the number went even lower and investors got even more antsy.

Hey man! It's been a while.

Anyways, yeah... It's very possible that the numbers can drastically decrease. But, they lost a third of their fortune, ouch.

Senhor Perfect

Bulletproof
Reaction score
Well I'm sure things will get better once they expand the service worldwide. They need to speed that process up.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Can definitely see this as a possible scenario.. hopefully it'll be okay..

Well I'm sure things will get better once they expand the service worldwide. They need to speed that process up.
This is true,
I can see at least a 200k-400k bump from the world wide subscriptions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you guys think if they had better Network exclusive programs; similar to 'Legend's House' that they may do better business? Personally I think so.. Would love to see a Real World type show with some current superstars, with Miz's experience on that show they could use him as a partial creative consultant. I think Miz, Dolph Ziggler, Damien Sandow, Swagger, Fandango, Reigns, Rollins, Ambrose could make a pretty funny cast.. ofc I think they should do it with a majority of the time being them without the gimmicks.

I'm trying to actually form a game show idea to submit to them, I feel like that could be a decent draw, Game shows are a decent draw and not just for America but game shows exist in NUMEROUS countries.

Idk maybe I'm spouting off bullshit but in my mind it sounds good lol, although I am a VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY small part of this 7 billion person world.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
I really see no reason why the Network shouldn't be a success. You can't ask for a better deal than being offered every PPV in history (past and present) along with a bunch of other extra content for only $120 a year.

It's strange that the WWE has approximately 4 million people in America who watch Raw every week and close to the same number of people who have subscribed to WWE's Youtube channel (although that number accounts for the entire global fan base), yet not even 1/4 of that has any interest in giving the Network a shot. The number of subscribers will certainly go up once it's made available overseas, but still, I'm surprised it isn't already at least in the 2-3 million range. For some reason though, the majority of the fans who watch the WWE product on television have never cared to purchase the PPVs, and it seems that an easy deal for only $120 a year isn't enough to get them to care enough to watch them either.

Do you guys think if they had better Network exclusive programs; similar to 'Legend's House' that they may do better business? Personally I think so.. Would love to see a Real World type show with some current superstars, with Miz's experience on that show they could use him as a partial creative consultant. I think Miz, Dolph Ziggler, Damien Sandow, Swagger, Fandango, Reigns, Rollins, Ambrose could make a pretty funny cast.. ofc I think they should do it with a majority of the time being them without the gimmicks.

I'm trying to actually form a game show idea to submit to them, I feel like that could be a decent draw, Game shows are a decent draw and not just for America but game shows exist in NUMEROUS countries.

Idk maybe I'm spouting off bullshit but in my mind it sounds good lol, although I am a VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY small part of this 7 billion person world.

I seriously doubt it. I know producing more Reality TV-like content is tapping into a certain demographic, but if everything the Network already offers you isn't enough to wet your appetite, then I doubt another Reality series (or a game show) would be either.

Reactions: Snowman1

Brad.

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
The major selling point of the Network is the monthly PPVs. Let's be honest, no one is going to sign up for Legends House, Countdown, documentaries, etc, which can all be found elsewhere. Right now people are thinking well they produce 1 good PPV every so often so I'll save my $60 and just buy it on PPV when it comes around (eg: WM, SS, RR, etc). So what I don't understand is why WWE are not trying to make every PPV unmissable, making people think they might as well buy the Network because they want to watch the PPV every month. The last two PPVs, Payback and MITB, have been average B shows that won't encourage people to subscribe to anything. BattleGround looks like it will be on the same lines. Produce strong PPVs each month and people will sign up long-term NQAT.

Lesnar is supposed to be working both Summerslam and Night of Champions because that's when the first 6-month subs expire. And they're apparently saving Hunter vs. Reigns for NoC for the same reason, so renewals might do OK.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
They could always do if you buy a year you get $20 off.. so $100 straight up for the year, I'm sure people would be interested in that kind of offer.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
I always thought the Network was a bad idea, just had that feeling from the start. So if it gets shut down, oh well... Good riddance.
Kudos to Vince who keeps on losing money.

CrayJ Lee

Champion
Reaction score
Website
bewitchingbennett.tumblr.com
From the last time I watched it, I was disappointed that they didn't have all of the episodes from the Attitude Era catalogued right away. I'd be binge watching them if they had. I'm sure more people would purchase it too if they did (for all the fans that miss the good old days or newer fans that want to see what had happened).

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Most likely they're going to raise/lower prices by a couple $ and then extend the subscription commitment and offer it in other countries. I suspect they could have 750,000 - 800,000 by January 2015.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Well, they deserve it. I'll let you know that Cena as champion isn't a good hook to get butthurt smarks like me who would pirate your product anyway to buy your Network, WWE. You can get your boring irrelevant midcard and stale main event scene and go screw yourselves with Wyatt doing jobs _|_

Reactions: Trip in the Head