WWE Looking for new "Top Guy"

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

DashX

Reaction score
The only people I can think of that fits the bill is Seth Rollins and maybe Cody Rhodes but I don't know how well he would do as a face. Both of them are young and I can see both of them being a poster boy for the WWE.

Last edited:

Aniking

Reaction score
I think it's ridiculous that they wanna go down the path of having ONE "top guy" again. The past few years, there are alot of fans who grew sick of Cena bering shoved down our throats, and although he sells masses of merchandise, if the WWE have a couple of top guys they could easily make up that number, if not better it, if they have a group of 5 or 6 pushed to the top.

They're seriously limiting themselves by going down the Cena route again. Don't just pick one, pick a handful who're more than capable.

Reactions: 1 person

The Hoov

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
goldust
I think it's ridiculous that they wanna go down the path of having ONE "top guy" again. The past few years, there are alot of fans who grew sick of Cena bering shoved down our throats, and although he sells masses of merchandise, if the WWE have a couple of top guys they could easily make up that number, if not better it, if they have a group of 5 or 6 pushed to the top.

They're seriously limiting themselves by going down the Cena route again. Don't just pick one, pick a handful who're more than capable.

This. During the Attitude Era (hear me out before blasting me), WWE had 4 main guys (Austin, Rock, Foley and HHH). It was a good balance. When one left, other stepped up. Also, they had a stone Tag and Mid-Card division. During 04-09, they had a balance again with Cena, Orton and Batista as top guys but Orton proved his unreliance and Batista bailed. I agree with you AK. They need that balance again and if they used Punk, Bryan, Ziggler and Ryder as well as Cena, Orton and Rey until they leave they will be successful.

Aniking

Reaction score
This. During the Attitude Era (hear me out before blasting me), WWE had 4 main guys (Austin, Rock, Foley and HHH). It was a good balance. When one left, other stepped up. Also, they had a stone Tag and Mid-Card division. During 04-09, they had a balance again with Cena, Orton and Batista as top guys but Orton proved his unreliance and Batista bailed. I agree with you AK. They need that balance again and if they used Punk, Bryan, Ziggler and Ryder as well as Cena, Orton and Rey until they leave they will be successful.

I knew that's what it was like back in the Attitude Era, but I didn't watch then so I wasn't sure.

That's the era people regard as the WWE's most entertaining, and they don't necessarily have to ditch the whole PG thing, just have a group of guys right up there, all equals, and have a couple a notch below ready to replace one if they leave, retire, whatever. Having their focus on one individual, shoving them down our throats like they did with Cena, won't work out the same way. Cena's likely a one of a kind superstar, trying to repeat what he did will never happen. The WWE can do their best but it won't happen.

TKK

Reaction score
It's a pity that they fucked over Carlito, Burke, Striker, Shelton Benjamin, Chris Masters and various others over the years. If those were still going strong then, they wouldn't be in a position where they have bearly anybody to lead the next generation.In my opinion, the easiest thing to do is raid the indies. Cole, Callihan, Gargano etc.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy

Definitely this.

WWE can't put all their eggs in one basket again not just because of the over exposure of that wrestler but also because what happens when the one top guy gets injured? You are then screwed in trying to fill the void. WWE needs to have half a dozen top stars especially since they have two world title divisions to support. Unforunately WWE have too often given midcarders yo-yo pushes, moving them up the card only to bring them back down with a thud soon after. The fans just can't get behind them enough because they fear it will only be a matter of time they are dropped down again. Blame Brock Lesnar for that because ever since Vince invested the world in him and he left at his peak Vince has been scared to put that much effort into a young guy.

With this report though I doubt that Vince is only now trying to find a new top guy. I am sure that he is always searching to find out who could be the next big star and he would want there to be multiple guys at the top leading the company.

Aniking

Reaction score
Problem is they don't give enough opportunities to many to take the ball and run with it, mainly because guys like Alberto Del Rio get booked terribly when they do get given the ball. It's easier said than done for us to criticise and all, but the WWE clearly don't care, and that's the problem. It's as if they don't trust our judgement, and although they look highly upon those who get themselves over, it's gotten them nowhere. To me, and I've thought this for some time, that when Ryder got himself over the WWE booked him well at first, showed the world he's not ready, then fucked him off just to prove they were correct. DiBiase had begun to get himself over, got nothing, but then unfortunately got injured. Other than that, there's nobody from memory.

Point is, and I'm pretty confident in saying this from what I've learnt, but if you weren't in the World Championship or in a top feud, you were still booked well and had a feud the fans could get behind. All the titles were booked decent, yet nowadays all focus is on the top titles and a top feud, while everyone else suffers. I really wouldn't be surprised if the WWE do go ahead with this and push someone to the heavens while everything stays the same. A lot of things they do now are for the money, which is all well and good, but there are people like me who watched as often as they could over the past 5 or so years, stuck through it all, but are now completely over it. Yeah, the money's great I'm sure, but from everything I've watched from a decade ago, irrespective of PG or not, the TV product now is just nothing.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I completely agree, they need to start having storylines from the top of the card all the way down to the bottom. Stop having all these random matches each week that have no purpose and no reason behind having them. With such a thin roster they need a lot more stars and the only way they will be able to create them is if they put time and effort into every guy that is on the roster. They are starting to revamp the tag team divison but they have a long way to go to fix the IC and US title divisions. The main issue there is there isn't a clear cut division, there aren't four or five guys that are regularly hunting the title and no-one other than the champion and the challenger of the month are talking about those titles. If WWE had stronger midcard title divisions then it would be a lot easier to create mainevent stars as the gap from midcard to mainevent would be a lot smaller.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
It would be kind of nice if they built a guy from scratch. Like find a guy charismatic guy that nobody knows about and slowly push him.

Honestly though, I'd like to see DiBiase or Ryder get up there. But they also have to look at their NXT guys too.

Undertaker

Reaction score
If I was really pushed to choose someone to take over from John Cena I would pick Kofi Kingston. He is well over with the fans and they love him. His feud with Randy Orton 2-3 years back was decent, I didn't expect to see him putting Orton through a table. It was a surprise to see him being booked to look that strong. If anyone is ready he is. Wrestlers like Ted DiBiase and Cody Rhodes will never be anything but midcarders, they just live off their parents history. Whoever WWE decide to go with it will be interesting. Whether they make the right decision is another thing.

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
To me, The Miz, Ziggler, Cody Rhodes and Damien Sandow are the future of the company.

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
A top guy well here's a few guys they can start grooming for a top spot:

Ryback
CM Punk
Daniel Brian
Wade Barret
Dean Ambrose
Seth Rollins

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
If we're struggling so much to find a young guy these days to fit the image of what the top guy should be... Then maybe we should change the image of what the top guy should be.

The Hoov

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
goldust
If we're struggling so much to find a young guy these days to fit the image of what the top guy should be... Then maybe we should change the image of what the top guy should be.

Exactly my point in saying why can't it be someone like Ryder? He's well-beloved, good on the mic and actually really good in the ring. He's not like any other top guy but that's what's so great about him in my eyes.