WWE Looking for new "Top Guy"

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Hoov

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
goldust
NoDQ.com said:
With 35 year old John Cena currently dealing with back, elbow, hip and neck issues, there has been a lot of talk for months about who is the next top guy for WWE. With Vince McMahon's days likely numbered, some believe that the next top guy after Cena will be Vince's last ever hand-picked top guy.

While Cena won't be replaced as the top guy until his body breaks down or until the public tires of him, there is a feeling that you have to think about the future now as Vince has never gone with anyone older than 40 as his top guy because people think he cuts bait early and then moves on.

Vince has told both the traveling and non-traveling writing staff, as well as the RAW and SmackDown crews, that they are now to put emphasis on storylines and angles for Sheamus. The idea is that CM Punk is a heel and won't be that top guy. Plus in their minds of what "the guy" is supposed to look like, Punk doesn't fit. Triple H is also backing Sheamus because he's big enough, dedicated enough and loyal enough. At the same time, many people feel Sheamus wouldn't be right as the face of the company because of his character. Another downside to Sheamus is he's almost 35 and if they are looking at grooming the next guy for Cena's spot, they should be looking at someone who is 25 or so.

I have the perfect candidate. He's young, he's hungry, he loves and respects the business and the crowd loves him and buys his merchandise like crazy. And, take a gander at his latest YouTube show.

[video=youtube;7bLcgAg53ec]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bLcgAg53ec&feature=g-u-u[/video]

Everything he said was true. They only want the guys they want to grab that proverbial "brass ring" which is extremely idiotic. Their two biggest stars (The Rock and Stone Cold) happened by accident when they decided to be more than what they were. Why not Ryder? The people love him but his booking is what is failing him. Ryder has every tool to become that next big top star. He just needs to be able to run with the ball. Perfect opportunity would be to have him win the Royal Rumble and go on to face Ziggler for the WHC. They're already fighting at WM for the Internet Title. Why not have it be Title vs Title? I know I'll get some hate for this but I honestly don't care. Zack Ryder deserves to be the next top star because, honestly, who else can do it?

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
If they change his character up a bit, I don't see why not. Alex Riley could also be that guy in my opinion if he worked hard enough.

Undertaker

Reaction score
I know I'm going to get a bit of hate for this but Zack Ryder would not be my option. I just find him annoying. His geeky internet shows have not got him anywhere and I highly doubt he would be able to connect with the majority of fans. Personally, I don't think anyone is ready yet to take over from John Cena. Perhaps a few years down the line Damien Sandow may be up there as a candidate. When you don't have an edgier product you won't be able to build your next top star; WWE will learn this the hard way.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I read this "report earlier" and it's too funny. Flips flops on Sheeamus being the guy when they realize in the middle of writing it that Sheamus is no younger than Cena is a now guy rather than the future. The Punk part was also funny considering the reasons they gave is stupid and is more the fact that Punk is a now guy as well and will probably retire before Cena does. You never know who is gonna be the guy for the company which Cena should be proof as no one could look at him in his first couple years and say he was gonna be the top guy the way he is today.

Kind of think that Ryder video deserves it's own discussion as it looks like they are gonna turn him and have him slowly abandon his character which could work out great for him in the long term.

The Hoov

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
goldust
I know I'm going to get a bit of hate for this but Zack Ryder would not be my option. I just find him annoying. His geeky internet shows have not got him anywhere and I highly doubt he would be able to connect with the majority of fans. Personally, I don't think anyone is ready yet to take over from John Cena. Perhaps a few years down the line Damien Sandow may be up there as a candidate. When you don't have an edgier product you won't be able to build your next top star; WWE will learn this the hard way.

I have to disagree. I feel like he's done a great job of connecting with the audience in spite of the WWE constantly trying to bury him. Just look at Survivor Series last year in MSG. During Ziggler/Morrison, the entire crowd was chanting for Ryder. He came out after the match, laid out Ziggler and had the entire audience fist-pumping with him chanting "WOO WOO WOO!". That's on par with Austin's "HELL YEAH" or The Rock's "AND MILLIONS!" And, while I'm on The Rock, during his speech after Survivor Series, the crowd was still chanting for Ryder to the point where Rock had to acknowledge it. Ryder is a phenomenon, plain and simple. It would be in the WWE's best interest, in my eyes, to capitalize on it and stop being childish because it wasn't their creation because Cena, at best, has 3 more years before his body just shuts off or he at least starts winding down.

Chriss

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
If WWE picks Ryder as its top guy, we are covered in shit.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Daniel Bryan, please. :D
Unless Cena retires real soon won't happen. This is a who is the next guy to take Cena's spot when Cena is gone or taking a backseat and by the time that happens Bryan will be about 34-35 at least. Gonna have to be someone in their 20's or just turning 30.

Last edited:

Undertaker

Reaction score
I have to disagree. I feel like he's done a great job of connecting with the audience in spite of the WWE constantly trying to bury him. Just look at Survivor Series last year in MSG. During Ziggler/Morrison, the entire crowd was chanting for Ryder. He came out after the match, laid out Ziggler and had the entire audience fist-pumping with him chanting "WOO WOO WOO!". That's on par with Austin's "HELL YEAH" or The Rock's "AND MILLIONS!" And, while I'm on The Rock, during his speech after Survivor Series, the crowd was still chanting for Ryder to the point where Rock had to acknowledge it. Ryder is a phenomenon, plain and simple. It would be in the WWE's best interest, in my eyes, to capitalize on it and stop being childish because it wasn't their creation because Cena, at best, has 3 more years before his body just shuts off or he at least starts winding down.
Admittedly that was impressive when Zack Ryder, who is a midcarder, managed to get the MSG audience behind him without being in the ring. The thing with The Rock and Steve Austin was that they had memorable matches before they really started to become the top guys in the company. Ryder has not had any. We remember wrestlers who have provided us with amazing moments throughout the years and I'm afraid that after 5 years or so Ryder has not amazed me at all. If WWE do choose Ryder as their new money-maker he needs to have a monster push and create some memorable moments and by that I mean doing dangerous spots, putting people through tables and having long matches.

Last edited:

Doink

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
The Miz is still only 31 as is Daniel Bryan. Orton is still only 32, Dean Ambrose can make it if they use him right, he is only 26. I still think Cena will be around for another 5-10 years

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Ryder being the guy is laughable.

He got more camera time this year and look what happened......Ryder backlash.

If there is one guy to step up it is Ziggler.

The Hoov

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
goldust
Admittedly that was impressive when Zack Ryder, who is a midcarder, managed to get the MSG audience behind him without being in the ring. The thing with The Rock and Steve Austin was that they had memorable matches before they really started to become the top guys in the company. Ryder has not had any. We remember wrestlers who have provided us with amazing moments throughout the years and I'm afraid that after 5 years or so Ryder has not amazed me at all. If WWE do choose Ryder as their new money-maker he needs to have a monster push and create some memorable moments and by that I mean doing dangerous spots, putting people through tables and having long matches.

It's hard to have any memorable moments when all of your matches are booked to be squash matches. But, a few memorable moments do pop up in my mind. To name a few:

-His US Title victory at TLC
-His match against Tommy Dreamer on ECW
-His match against Dolph Ziggler on RAW with Hugh Jackman in his corner
-The moment on RAW where him, Daniel Bryan and CM Punk were all champions

And mind you, Zack is only in his mid-20's so if WWE strikes while the iron is hot, he has a ton of potential for even greater moments because he has the passion and dedication to be that top guy. He just needs the opportunity.

TKK

Reaction score
Richie Steamboat seems a likely candidate to me, creative seem to be really high on him right now (he's went over Ohno cleanly twice now, I think).

I don't think that Rollins will ever be "the guy" but, he'll be up there. Mike Dalton is another guy that I think they have plans for.

Undertaker

Reaction score
If there is one guy to step up it is Ziggler.

Hahaha. Your a funny guy.

It's hard to have any memorable moments when all of your matches are booked to be squash matches. But, a few memorable moments do pop up in my mind. To name a few:

-His US Title victory at TLC
-His match against Tommy Dreamer on ECW
-His match against Dolph Ziggler on RAW with Hugh Jackman in his corner
-The moment on RAW where him, Daniel Bryan and CM Punk were all champions

And mind you, Zack is only in his mid-20's so if WWE strikes while the iron is hot, he has a ton of potential for even greater moments because he has the passion and dedication to be that top guy. He just needs the opportunity.

I get what you are saying but I really can't see him getting anywhere near the top of the WWE. He would need a complete gimmick overhaul. Famously WWE have always had at least two main guys leading the company and they have always feuded together. Just think, if Ryder was 'the chosen one' who would he feud with considering his career thus far. Why would wrestling fans of the 80s and 90s be entertained by someone who has awful ring attire and who you can barely remember? WWE need to start putting him over now. My guy is Damien Sandow, when he debuted on SmackDown I immediately thought "WOW!".