WWE Looking for new "Top Guy"

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Hahaha. Your a funny guy.

I get what you are saying but I really can't see him getting anywhere near the top of the WWE. He would need a complete gimmick overhaul. Famously WWE have always had at least two main guys leading the company and they have always feuded together. Just think, if Ryder was 'the chosen one' who would he feud with considering his career thus far. Why would wrestling fans of the 80s and 90s be entertained by someone who has awful ring attire and who you can barely remember? WWE need to start putting him over now. My guy is Damien Sandow, when he debuted on SmackDown I immediately thought "WOW!".

Damien Sandow is nothing more than Lanny Poffo without the graduate hat.

Might as well say Heath Lsater is the future.

Undertaker

Reaction score
Might as well say Heath Lsater is the future.

I probably would do but I haven't heard of "Heath Lstater".

If you take a quick look at the whole of WWE's main roster there are only a handful of guys that you could pick to lead the company within the next 3-5 years once John Cena finally (and thankfully) retires. I wouldn't like to be the person who picks WWE's next top guy especially considering how versatile they will have to be and how watered down the product will become if Linda McMahon continues on her joke of a career. I'd rather have a wrestler resembling "Lanny Poffo" than one resembling a vagrant in Dolph Ziggler.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I probably would do but I haven't heard of "Heath Lstater".

If you take a quick look at the whole of WWE's main roster there are only a handful of guys that you could pick to lead the company within the next 3-5 years once John Cena finally (and thankfully) retires. I wouldn't like to be the person who picks WWE's next top guy especially considering how versatile they will have to be and how watered down the product will become if Linda McMahon continues on her joke of a career. I'd rather have a wrestler resembling "Lanny Poffo" than one resembling a vagrant in Dolph Ziggler.

That vagrant can actually perform in the ring, that Poffo wannabe is you basic fundamental wrestler who will not have a decent match unless the other guy is carrying him.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I can't take this thread seriously. Sorry.

Ryder is the kid that would get pantsed in the cafeteria before lunch every day and cry in the bathroom. Now the guys that would be bullying him are the ones I'd push.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Ryder has the "top guy" in the company? I don't think so. Take away his internet show and I honestly don't think there's anything else to him.

WWE has a serious lack of up and coming faces on the roster. Sheamus is the only candidate that is currently a face at the moment, and I just don't think he'd fit the bill as the next "top guy". He's certainly popular enough, and he's shown numerous times this year that he can get it done in the ring. But, I just don't see it. After him, who else is there? Pretty much all of the other good wrestlers on the roster are heels.

It wouldn't be the worst idea to turn a heel face, especially considering face turns have made made some of the most despised wrestlers very popular afterwards, e.g. Orton, Punk, Sheamus etc.

Although I've never seen him as a face, I think Ziggler would be a good option. He pretty much has everything WWE is looking for in a "top guy", and I think he'd be very over as a face. Some of the more smarter fans are generally high on him and casual fans cheer for anyone they're supposed to. That's the right balance that I don't think someone like Sheamus would have.

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
Honestly, at the moment, WWE only really has Sheamus to rely on as the top face without Cena and he'd be a great filler for a few months at a time but that's about it, I was thinking of Rey Mysterio being able to do it for a year or so but he's older than Cena and does constantly get injured and has a few wellness violations and same with Randy Orton.

Ryback is seemingly their current candidate, I personally would also focus on the on building a solid heel underbase as well with the likes of Damien Sandow, Bray Wyatt & Daniel Bryan heading it (YES for those in E-Feds), get Dean Ambrose on frickin' TV would be a wise move, if WWE can start booking that solid under basis with The Miz, Dolph Ziggler & CM Punk putting the right faces over, the chances of a top face emerging is gonna be a lot easier to establish... Man I'm going around in circles in my head.

Basically, build up guys like Ryback, and focus on getting a strong set of heels going to put over the faces and boom it should work.

The Hoov

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
goldust
In all honesty, I think Bryan can transition from Heel to Face at this point, especially after his partnership with Kane. All he would need to be a mega face is embrace the "YES" chants and use them to his advantage. He could be a top guy for a while, almost like a placeholder like Shawn Michaels was in the interim between Hulk Hogan and Stone Cold.

SAL

Reaction score
For guys on TV now, the jump up to the main event is extremely difficult. I can't think of a single babyface midcarder the crowd is clamoring for to get a shot at the main event. Ten years ago, we had Edge, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Jericho, and others who had the crowd behind them, who were ready to get pushed up. I think WWE's failure to build a good mid-card is a serious problem. Guys like Zack Ryder, Santino Marella and Kofi Kingston wouldn't be taken seriously as they are. For stalled-out midcard acts, there's really only one way to move them up, and that's a significant character shift. That's how Rock and Stone Cold were built into main eventers (yes, they were built, they didn't do the whole thing themselves). Do you think any of the 3 guys I mentioned above could pull off a heel turn and/or a run as a serious wrestler? Oddly enough, I think Santino's the best bet. He's been such a cheeseball and he's done so well to get the crowd on his side solely as a novelty act that I could see him going the JBL route. Once the crowd takes some (any) of these midcarders seriously, maybe then they can move up to the top of the card.

Your other best bet is taking a new guy and pushing him to the moon. But they can't sem to do that without making the pushed wrestler into a cheeseball (Brodus Clay) or a Goldberg retread (Ryback). Let's try something novel, WWE. Take a good-looking guy who can talk a little, give him an interesting (but not weird or novelty) gimmick, let him beat some midcarders, and see where it goes from there. Oh wait, that's exactly what WWE did with John Cena. Well, do it again then.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Lol Ryder being the top guy, he's about as believable a top guy as fucking Santino Marella :lmao

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
I would have said John Morrison a year ago, but man does that sound wrong now. Miz is another guy that I could have easily seen but I don't think WWE believes him anymore. I'm a big fan of The Miz but he doesn't have the complete package. Ziggler seems like the guy.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Technically The Rock doesn't have the complete package either or John Cena for that matter but you just need someone that excels so well at what they do that they don't need everything else. Ziggler is just good at everything, I'm not sure if he jumps off the page enough in one area for him to stand out. Only person I'd say has the complete package in everything was Austin.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Admittedly that was impressive when Zack Ryder, who is a midcarder, managed to get the MSG audience behind him without being in the ring. The thing with The Rock and Steve Austin was that they had memorable matches before they really started to become the top guys in the company. Ryder has not had any. We remember wrestlers who have provided us with amazing moments throughout the years and I'm afraid that after 5 years or so Ryder has not amazed me at all. If WWE do choose Ryder as their new money-maker he needs to have a monster push and create some memorable moments and by that I mean doing dangerous spots, putting people through tables and having long matches.

You gotta stop riding the Attitude Era's dick bro, I'm as much of a fan of the Attitude Era as the next guy, but I don't really see WWE going back to that for a while. Dangerous spots don't make a top guy anyway, the most dangerous thing Cena did was get chokeslammed into a light, that was probably the fake glass shit that doesn't hurt. Zack Ryder is the perfect guy for this current PG era. He's likeable, he's funny, and FUN! He's got the right package to be the WWE's top guy right now.

Kofi Kingston could be another guy for the crowd to really get behind, as they have already proven to really like him. Evan Bourne if he ever returns and doesn't fuck up again, as the crowd liked him too. Seth Rollins maybe, depends on how WWE booked it really.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Jesus Christ, you guys have to realize that PG does not equal the fucking Teletubbies. Monday Night Raw was TV-14 from 1999-2008, NO OTHER WWF/E shows was during that time, nor were any before. PG means less cussing and less sex, the fact that WWE struggles to build up new superstars and long-term angles with a payoff has nothing to do with the TV rating.

TKK

Reaction score
If you honestly think that the WWE are ever going to let anyone as goofy as Ryder be the company face you are delusional. The top guy will always depend on the company's direction and target audience. I don't want to see the product that Ryder would represent well.

Dean Ambrose will never be the top guy in any major company. His character is too "dark" to sell to children and parents. Best case scenario, he develops an awesome rivalry with the top guy. This is far more likely because who knows Ambrose knows that is fucking money. Give him three minutes on a microphone and your PPV is as good as sold.

Last edited: