WWE Aiming towards kids is a bit boring

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

LKP

A stupid point that has had 60 posts? Yeah ok axis, it was an interesting thread.

Axis

First of all, most of the points were telling you how stupid your point was.

Second of all, I thought you were done posting in this thread?

eggthief

Reaction score
I believe it's somehow linked to your activity Axis.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I kinda see where he's coming from.

Right now there are a lot of fans still feeling the aftershocks of the 'Attitude Era' and feel like Vince is copping out by marketing towards children again.

On the one hand those people are right. I dunno if it's just in Canada but when I hear the word ass on a WWE broadcast it's bleeped. That's just ridiculous. You can say ass anytime on TV and not get bleeped.

By the same token though, nothing has really changed. The sexuality is there it's just not as over the top. The language is there for the most part, just minus a bleep or two. The content is pretty much the same. I mean granted we aren't seeing UT crucify anyone any more but do any of us really truly miss that?

I think what these guys are truly missing is the cohesive, branching story-telling that is gone for everyone but those in the main event. And I dig that. I miss that too. Just don't misdirect your disappointment.

Great One

People are overanalyzing what he was trying to say way too much and being pedantic. I personally, and think the majority of the people here, miss the blood, brutality, hardcore matches, definitive and intrinsic characters like Mankind and Goldust. When's the last time you saw like a REAL backstage brawl, or someone get jumped or start shit in the back and I mean REALLY get fucked up. Like throw through windows, taken out the parking lot and thrown into cars, and just get plain fucked up? Shit like this and just more aggressive backstage involvement gave a better feel to everything, whether it be building or creating storylines. There's hardly any blood in comparison to before, so our expectations are all let down. When's the last time they actually went on top of the fucking cage in HELL IN A CELL? What's the point of a HELL IN A CELL if you don't go on top, it's pretty much just a damn cage match, just looks more intimidating. Certainly much less weapons involved, and of course the promos are pretty pathetic in terms of explicity and graphic. Just imagine if there was no Jericho and Edge. The heel product and main event scene would be completely lackluster and essentially unwatchable in that regard, these guys pretty much carry the promo scene and differentiate from all else in the way they speak. And even then, they are much more watered down than the way they use to be 10 years or so ago. Also, the main problem people have is the lack of the McMahons involved in storylines. Everything is always better with the McMahons there... every great storyline had them. Now, they're getting involved again, and that is good.

Sure, not using the term "FU" anymore, a 325 lb 6'4"+ guy calling someone a "bully," the homosexual Raw theme, etc. doesn't seem like a HUGE or dramatic change to the product. But, it's the bigger picture, of which Legendkillerpunk was trying to explain, is what matters.

Essentially, it ends up being more than a cosmetic, depending on the way you look at it. I look at it as people getting beaten down more, more blood and violence, etc. to be taking away from the show, more of than just "balancing it for kids." Remember, the only reason Jeff Hardy got so over with the fans is because he did stupid ass shit and openly and apparently put his body through pain.

Knowingly, some douche will quote me and tell me to go watch TNA or something. I watch TNA sometimes, when I can, but the thing there is people use to LOVE TNA back in 05 because they were like the WWE/F use to be. I think they've more or less hit a middle line, like the WWE has, now. There use to be sick matches with Hardy or Sabu vs. Abyss and it had more of a 'who gives a fuck' sort of feel to it. It still has a lot of potential and it's fun to watch regardless, even though there are still people who just insult it for the hell of it. Now, I feel they tend to overdue some backstage stuff and just not enough variety in some things. The potential, like the WWE of course (who has much more potential), is definitely there to reach those sort of limits, like the WWE use to do.

Both shows are fun to watch, but you can complain about the lack of explicity as much as you want, because the fact is that it use to be there, thus logically, it should still.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
To add on to what Great One was saying to keep it a bit more simple and understandable; backstage attacks were cool when you're let into 'em... not when a guy gets tossed down a stairwell in his hotel during the week, and he doesn't miss a show that night because of it. Or getting run off the road and a cell-phone video gets leaked. What happened to the days when someone gets knocked off in the arena... or when there just happens to be a camera crew in the hotel when Al Snow jumps Big Boss Man.

...that kind of edge gives the WWE a better vibe.

Great One

I liked the car thing. I think they could have done more with the stairwell thing =/. The pyro thing was pretty innovative as well.

MikeRaw

I understand what Great One Is saying, and that I do agree with.
I miss the stuff like matches where they could be alitter more hardcore, and storylines that could be a little edgier. Oh, and to pick up on what MS said, ya, it's Blue, anytime they say "ass" in the old Austin highlights or whatever, it's bleeped out. But I don't thhink it's just Canada. it's bleeped out n some dvd's too.

Like I said, I used to get really pissed off it wasn't like the attitude era anymore. So much that I wouldn't even want to watch Raw.
But now, I just live with it. I want some of it back... Like I would like to not have the word ass bleeped, I'd like some grittier characters, and some overall more exciting, edge of your seat stuff, and even some more "extreme" matches. I also think those thing would help a guy like Orton out, who is breaking out into the biggest guy on Raw now, with it beign pg. But imagine if he could be in hardcore matches, or if he could draw blood on an opponent? It's just a show, but that would really make him fit the role more.

But with that being said, noone can deny why they do it. It's just a business plan. And wwe is in a rebuilding phase. They have all new stars, and younger guys coming up, and as a result, many of the fanbase from before has gone, indicated by the slipping ratings. So wwe has to gaina new fanbase. So, they have to start from the ground up. They're marketing towards kids now, because their older audience from the 90's has mostly gone, and they need to gain a new one.
But that's just part of the wrestling cycle.
Eventually, it will go back to the edginess, and attitudeness, that we love, oce they establish this new fanbase, and once this new fanbase is older.

LKP

I kinda see where he's coming from.

Right now there are a lot of fans still feeling the aftershocks of the 'Attitude Era' and feel like Vince is copping out by marketing towards children again.

On the one hand those people are right. I dunno if it's just in Canada but when I hear the word ass on a WWE broadcast it's bleeped. That's just ridiculous. You can say ass anytime on TV and not get bleeped.

By the same token though, nothing has really changed. The sexuality is there it's just not as over the top. The language is there for the most part, just minus a bleep or two. The content is pretty much the same. I mean granted we aren't seeing UT crucify anyone any more but do any of us really truly miss that?

I think what these guys are truly missing is the cohesive, branching story-telling that is gone for everyone but those in the main event. And I dig that. I miss that too. Just don't misdirect your disappointment.

People are overanalyzing what he was trying to say way too much and being pedantic. I personally, and think the majority of the people here, miss the blood, brutality, hardcore matches, definitive and intrinsic characters like Mankind and Goldust. When's the last time you saw like a REAL backstage brawl, or someone get jumped or start shit in the back and I mean REALLY get fucked up. Like throw through windows, taken out the parking lot and thrown into cars, and just get plain fucked up? Shit like this and just more aggressive backstage involvement gave a better feel to everything, whether it be building or creating storylines. There's hardly any blood in comparison to before, so our expectations are all let down. When's the last time they actually went on top of the fucking cage in HELL IN A CELL? What's the point of a HELL IN A CELL if you don't go on top, it's pretty much just a damn cage match, just looks more intimidating. Certainly much less weapons involved, and of course the promos are pretty pathetic in terms of explicity and graphic. Just imagine if there was no Jericho and Edge. The heel product and main event scene would be completely lackluster and essentially unwatchable in that regard, these guys pretty much carry the promo scene and differentiate from all else in the way they speak. And even then, they are much more watered down than the way they use to be 10 years or so ago. Also, the main problem people have is the lack of the McMahons involved in storylines. Everything is always better with the McMahons there... every great storyline had them. Now, they're getting involved again, and that is good.

Sure, not using the term "FU" anymore, a 325 lb 6'4"+ guy calling someone a "bully," the homosexual Raw theme, etc. doesn't seem like a HUGE or dramatic change to the product. But, it's the bigger picture, of which Legendkillerpunk was trying to explain, is what matters.

Essentially, it ends up being more than a cosmetic, depending on the way you look at it. I look at it as people getting beaten down more, more blood and violence, etc. to be taking away from the show, more of than just "balancing it for kids." Remember, the only reason Jeff Hardy got so over with the fans is because he did stupid ass shit and openly and apparently put his body through pain.

Knowingly, some douche will quote me and tell me to go watch TNA or something. I watch TNA sometimes, when I can, but the thing there is people use to LOVE TNA back in 05 because they were like the WWE/F use to be. I think they've more or less hit a middle line, like the WWE has, now. There use to be sick matches with Hardy or Sabu vs. Abyss and it had more of a 'who gives a fuck' sort of feel to it. It still has a lot of potential and it's fun to watch regardless, even though there are still people who just insult it for the hell of it. Now, I feel they tend to overdue some backstage stuff and just not enough variety in some things. The potential, like the WWE of course (who has much more potential), is definitely there to reach those sort of limits, like the WWE use to do.

Both shows are fun to watch, but you can complain about the lack of explicity as much as you want, because the fact is that it use to be there, thus logically, it should still.

You two are gods lol you said what Ive been meaning to say. but in your two posts you said everything that i meant but without saying it. Ok im not the most intelligent guy on here but your 2 posts made people see sense rather than my 20 odd posts. Thanks guys i hope people understand my points now.

I understand what Great One Is saying, and that I do agree with.
I miss the stuff like matches where they could be alitter more hardcore, and storylines that could be a little edgier. Oh, and to pick up on what MS said, ya, it's Blue, anytime they say "ass" in the old Austin highlights or whatever, it's bleeped out. But I don't thhink it's just Canada. it's bleeped out n some dvd's too.

Like I said, I used to get really pissed off it wasn't like the attitude era anymore. So much that I wouldn't even want to watch Raw.
But now, I just live with it. I want some of it back... Like I would like to not have the word ass bleeped, I'd like some grittier characters, and some overall more exciting, edge of your seat stuff, and even some more "extreme" matches. I also think those thing would help a guy like Orton out, who is breaking out into the biggest guy on Raw now, with it beign pg. But imagine if he could be in hardcore matches, or if he could draw blood on an opponent? It's just a show, but that would really make him fit the role more.

Mike raw ive been saying that for 20 odd posts. But with great one and monkeystyle saying those threads i hope people can see my point.

Axis

^I thought you were done posting in here?

And for the record, for the most part, I thought that the Attitude Era was crap. Barring the world title scene (and at times, even that was a bit out there) I just didn't find too much to enjoy. 24/7 Hardcore championship? Ridiculous gimmick matches? Not my cup of tea.

LKP

I wasn't going to post on here to but annoy you i thought why not i started it. and if you saying you dont care wether i post on here or not, you have said
^I thought you were done posting in here?
Two times now so you must care. Anyways your silly little post there just shows your doing this to sound cool by being against the people who have a point. And i shouldn't be saying this but your not a very good poster, if you pick what people say in detail all of the time. When someone has a point you don't agree or disagree you analyze what they have said to make them look bad.

LKP

Not like he does he belittles people that's all. Its like no matter what you say hes like well why not etc. Ive explained a post say and he still carries on its annoying. If he posts his owns thought without worrying to much on dissecting everyone s he will be ok. Anyway back on subject wwe is starting to slowly go back a little bit lets hope vinces kick to head was the sign of things to come. I wanna see ortons intensity rise in the coming weeks on raw a scrap backstage will be nice to see.

Axis

Honestly, I find it silly to go around and give my opinion on subjects that everybody agrees on and nothing of substance comes of it. Sure it may be fun to some people to go around and say their favorite finishing move, match, or entrance, but I would rather have a good argument. That's why I post the way I do. Many times I get very intelligent conversations, and I come out with a different viewpoint than when I came in.