What is it with WWE and Tag Teams?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
It's not fair to say that teams should be mainstay tag team wrestlers. It should be a factory effect. By the time teams get stale and break up, new teams should be handling their business in the tag division making names for themselves. By the time a former tag team wrestler is ready to step up in the upper mid card/main event, they should be truly ready to and that can take years.

Double J

Reaction score
I agree with MizMasta, the only reason to break up a tag team is to push them in singles career but not until after the team actually gains some success.

Some guys just do better in a team than they do in a singles career.

As far as teams lasting;

The Road Warriors/ Legion of Doom
The Dudleys
The Wild Samoans
The British Bulldogs
The Nasty Boys

All these teams stayed together because they were pushed as a tag team where ever they went.

Reaction score
Tag teams don't last because tag teams don't headline shows (at least in the 'E). When you become over, or you've been around long enough in the 'E, you're inevitably going to break apart from your tag partner because that's how progression up the card goes there.

Yeah but a lot of tag teams look like eachother and 1 of them end up getting left out. Like what happened with MNM, mercury got left out and morrison and melina became stars. Or like what happened with shawn michaels and marty jannety.

I think "real" tag teams cant last.

Mercury got left out because he had a drug addiction and went off to rehab.

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
They've been trying. First by unifying the tag belts. Although, it would be best if they had one set of belts instead of two. They put them on some power teams like JeriShow, DX, and ShowMiz.

It's gonna take a long feud where they cut promos about how much they want to be champions instead of the title being a bonus to the winners.

I have to fully disagree with you on the power teams thing. DX, okay, they are at least a legit tag team, but both JeriShow and ShowMiz are fucking lame. Neither teams really fit together, they were just slapped together to make an excuse for a new tag team because the WWE are lacking in that department. If anything, they should have pushed Cryme Time instead of making these two fucked up teams. I'm not a huge fan of Cryme Time but they make more sense than JeriShow and ShowMiz.

Reaction score
^^^Jerishow was fucking awesome and added alot of credibility to those straps with their insanely good reign.

The funny thing is that back in the day tag teams were guys just thrown together, especailly in Mid-Atlantic. Piper-Flair, Crusher-Stevens, Jay Strongbow and the other six people he won the straps with, same for Wahoo, Dusty and Nikita, there were real teams too, but the majority really were singles wrestlers thrown together. The idea of modern teams, ala your Hart Foundations, Rock-N-Roll Express and whatnot really didn't become the norm until the mid 70's.

NinoBrown

Reaction score
I think the real reason why MizShow was made was so the Miz can be even more over and so Big Show will be occupied and away from the World title picture.

And just give the titles to the Hart Dynasty already, I don't want to see Braids and Abs (Truth and Morrison) on Mondays and Cryme Tyme just broke up (pfft like they were gonna win it) so there's no other relevant tag team right now.

LKP

Reaction score
^^^^ How dare you forget Wang Yang and Slam master j?

xtremebadass

Reaction score
If WWE does not have faith in their tag team division anymore it should simply not exist. Tag Team Championships should not be decorations to flaunt around almost mocking what tag team wrestling used to be. I remember when an odd pairing of superstars won the tag titles it was a big deal much like Cena and HBK in 2007 or Hulk Hogan and Edge. WWE has played out that card. They need to bring in tag teams who didn't have singles success before entering the team.

Over the past year or two look at some of the tag team champions:

Miz and Morrison (down the road they actually appeared to be a credible team)
Big Show and Jericho
Big Show and Miz
CM Punk and Kofi Kingston
Edge and Jericho
Batista and Cena

The only real tag teams in between some of those reigns were the Colons and Priceless who both weren't that much of successful tag teams. One hit wonder when he it comes to tag teams.

Harts better get these titles.

OfficialDrama

Reaction score
WWE just doesnt care about Tag Teams like they used to,I mean back in the day at one point they had good teams like WGTT & New Age Out Laws,APA & so on. But nowadays WWE just fell off when it comes to Tag Teams,Cryme Tyme is still my favorite.

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
^^^Jerishow was fucking awesome and added alot of credibility to those straps with their insanely good reign.

The funny thing is that back in the day tag teams were guys just thrown together, especailly in Mid-Atlantic. Piper-Flair, Crusher-Stevens, Jay Strongbow and the other six people he won the straps with, same for Wahoo, Dusty and Nikita, there were real teams too, but the majority really were singles wrestlers thrown together. The idea of modern teams, ala your Hart Foundations, Rock-N-Roll Express and whatnot really didn't become the norm until the mid 70's.

IMO, I don't think many people really gave a shit about Big Show and the only reason that team was even a success was because it involved Chris Jericho.

Reaction score
IMO, I don't think many people really gave a shit about Big Show and the only reason that team was even a success was because it involved Chris Jericho.

This time I have to agree. I haven't thought much of Big Slow since 1999. When he was The Giant he could dropkick, jump off the top rope or do almost anything. I know his disease prevents him from doing this now but it's not 1975 and he's not Andre the Giant. Show was thrown in there because they have nothing for him and I'm pretty sure he's in good favor with Vince. I watched Vince's dvd and Show was sucking up big time.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Honestly tag team wrestling in the WWE hasn't been the same in about 8 years. By 2002 the three biggest tag teams in the WWE at the time,The Dudley Boys, E&C and The Hardy Boys had all broken up. I feel that was the inital meltdown in tag team wrestling. Sure, there have been good teams since then tag teams have really taken a backseat to everything in the WWE. If they do change hands its more often then not just an odd pairing.

The Hart Dynasty needs to get the belts sooner rather then later. They are really the only real tag team left in the WWE. Liek it has been said already now the tag titles are simply a cross brand ticket. Why do you think guys like The Miz, Jericho and DX have held the belts over the last few months?

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
Big Show was cool in his mini feud with Kai En Tai

Reaction score
This time I have to agree. I haven't thought much of Big Slow since 1999. When he was The Giant he could dropkick, jump off the top rope or do almost anything. I know his disease prevents him from doing this now but it's not 1975 and he's not Andre the Giant. Show was thrown in there because they have nothing for him and I'm pretty sure he's in good favor with Vince. I watched Vince's dvd and Show was sucking up big time.

You don't need to do dropkicks or come off the work to be a good worker. No matter how limited your moveset is, if you do it well, you'll be a good worker. Show is a good worker.