What is it with WWE and Tag Teams?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Double J

Reaction score
The WWF had some of the greatest tag teams in wrestling, but since the WWE it's like the 'pure' tag teams no longer exist. With this past Smackdown we seen the split of another real tag team of Crime Time yet they still try and push guys like Morrison and Truth.

So will the tag team division in the WWE just forever be a place to put their singles guys until they have something for them? Seriously, why push Miz and Big Show as the champions while Miz is the United States Champion (which is another division that is getting ignored while Miz is in the tag scene). Wouldn't they be able to showcase more wrestlers if they let Miz feud with Truth and Morrison for the US Title and then give actual tag teams back their belts and division?

Reaction score
They've been trying. First by unifying the tag belts. Although, it would be best if they had one set of belts instead of two. They put them on some power teams like JeriShow, DX, and ShowMiz.

It's gonna take a long feud where they cut promos about how much they want to be champions instead of the title being a bonus to the winners.

Double J

Reaction score
They've been trying. First by unifying the tag belts. Although, it would be best if they had one set of belts instead of two. They put them on some power teams like JeriShow, DX, and ShowMiz.

It's gonna take a long feud where they cut promos about how much they want to be champions instead of the title being a bonus to the winners.

No, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Those aren't 'real' tag teams, those are singles guy that they had nothing else for them to do (with maybe the exception of DX) so they put them in a tag team and into the division. You can tell they're tag teams that wont last when they give them these Hollywood team names like Jeroshow, ShowMiz, & Jotruth.

All the real tag teams that they've brough it they just eventually split up and release them or never use them. Like The Colons, Primo and Carlito were better off as a tagteam than they are in singles (probably a bad example because it's mostly Carlito's fault on his part but they're the first to come to mind).

noumenon

Reaction score
Unifying the tag titles had nothing to do with trying to improve the tag division. It was simply a way for them to get a hot star to appear on both brands. Since they unified the tag titles the only non odd couple tag team to hold the titles have been DX.

PeepShow

Best in the World
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
w7tcn6p
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
66EZrsh
Favorite Sports Team
OPg6il8
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
I just miss the days where we didn't see all these stupid fucking random teams getting pushed. Totally forgetting about normal teams and just sticking people together these days. It's just like Survivior Series. That's probably why they got rid of it, because they've gotten rid of all the good teams and just put random teams together, so nobody cared. ShowMiz? Truth/Morrison? Hardy/Khali? WTF is this shit? Just broke up Cryme Tyme. Thank god they are starting to push the Hart Dynasty and MAYBE, JUST MAYBE The Dudebusters. But seriously where are the teams like The Rockers, Hardy Boyz, E&C, MNM, Londrick, hell even THE BASHAMS. Just so annoying to watch these clusterfuck teams nowadays.

Reaction score
I like tag teams with gimmicks better than "put Aand B together" team

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
What the hell has happen to my boys Croft and Baretta. Now thats a real tag team

seX-Power

Reaction score
After HD beat ShoMiz I'd like them to feud with Croft and Barreta.

xtremebadass

Reaction score
WWE Tag Teams died when they RELEASED THE DUDLEYZ.

That is pretty much the case. Ever since then tag team wrestling hasn't been the same in WWE. Only teams that stick out post 2004 are London and Kendrick, Cade and Murdoch, MNM, and the Miz and Morrison. Most other tag teams were random match ups of two superstars or a team who just won the belts once then were never heard from again (Spirit Squad, Deuce and Domino, Colons, Hawkins and Ryder)

That is pretty pathetic, and even the above teams weren't around for long which is sad for a tag team. A successful tag team has to be around for more than I would say 3 years or so.

Reaction score
Tag wrestling in the E died, not when they released the Dudleys, but when they originally broke them up in 02. The division was dead by the time they reunited.

I am always saddened when I think of how great the tag division used to be in the E, first in the 80's then again in the early part of the 2000's. Sigh. Atleast the Briscoes are still holding it down.

xtremebadass

Reaction score
I think the tag team division in 2002-2003 was still pretty good. La Resistance, Los Guerreros, and Team Angle all put on great matches.

Booker T and Goldust were comedic gold.

However, there were significantly less good tag teams post 2002.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
From 2005 to early 2007, the tag team division was booming. No odd couples real fucking teams. Anyone remember:

The Dicks
The Heartthrobs
Gymini
Cryme Tyme
KC James and Idol Stevens
La Resistance
Pitbulls (Kash and Noble)
Highlanders
MNM
Bashams
Mexicools
Deuce and Domino