What is it with WWE and Tag Teams?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
WWE Tag Teams died when they RELEASED THE DUDLEYZ.

That is pretty much the case. Ever since then tag team wrestling hasn't been the same in WWE. Only teams that stick out post 2004 are London and Kendrick, Cade and Murdoch, MNM, and the Miz and Morrison. Most other tag teams were random match ups of two superstars or a team who just won the belts once then were never heard from again (Spirit Squad, Deuce and Domino, Colons, Hawkins and Ryder)

That is pretty pathetic, and even the above teams weren't around for long which is sad for a tag team. A successful tag team has to be around for more than I would say 3 years or so.

Miz and Morrison were also a team that was thrown together. Sure, they meshed well, but they were thrown together all the same.

From 2005 to early 2007, the tag team division was booming. No odd couples real fucking teams. Anyone remember:

The Dicks
The Heartthrobs
Gymini
Cryme Tyme
KC James and Idol Stevens
La Resistance
Pitbulls (Kash and Noble)
Highlanders
MNM
Bashams
Mexicools
Deuce and Domino
FBI (Little Guido and Tony Mamaluke) WWECW

For the majority that list is full of jobbers.

Kizza

Reaction score
From 2005 to early 2007, the tag team division was booming. No odd couples real fucking teams. Anyone remember:

The Dicks
The Heartthrobs
Gymini
Cryme Tyme
La Resistance

Highlanders
MNM
Bashams
Mexicools
Deuce and Domino

One's bolded were the only one's I thought were semi decent.

seX-Power

Reaction score
Did the Pitbulls even team up for more than a month or two?

Reaction score
^^^I don't think so. They were teaming in the summer of 2005 but by December Kash was on his own.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
oops forgot Cade and Murdoch as well.

What I was basically saying was that WWE should have took advantage of the slew of teams and made them worth a damn.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
oops forgot Cade and Murdoch as well.

What I was basically saying was that WWE should have took advantage of the slew of teams and made them worth a damn.

Pretty clear they just don't give a damn about them, so they only thing they're taking advantage of is that the champs can go on both shows and at one point, always interacting with the guest host.

Most of how I feel as already been said. Adding on though, it's just that they don't care about the tag teams, at least when they break up, make it something big. But some thought into it. The real tag teams like The Colon's and Cryme Tyme just randomly broke up. Their broke up could have been something good but as you saw with The Colon's, that was even dumb. And I feel the same will happen with Cryme Tyme.

xtremebadass

Reaction score

The Dicks
The Heartthrobs
Gymini
Cryme Tyme

La Resistance
Highlanders

MNM
Bashams
Mexicools
Deuce and Domino

All the bolded teams never won tag team gold. I wouldn't say the tag division was booming just because they had alot of SHIT teams.

Plus, La Resistance in 2003 was way better than any other La Resistance run. They always confused me because they kept swapping out one guy with another. Then they went from french to french canadian and then i got really confused.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
It wasn't booming in talent but it was booming in size

xtremebadass

Reaction score
It wasn't booming in talent but it was booming in size

Alot of those teams really could have been something, however WWE didn't have any use for them. If there is no purpose for some tag teams they shouldn't even have employed them to begin with. I mean the Dicks. Those partyboy ripoffs were doomed for failure right from the start. They were just a pair of jacked up polish dudes with bow ties.

Hit N Run

Reaction score
Probably one of the reasons I got into TNA quickly when I found it was on Bravo (about mid Sept last year) was seeing actual themed tag teams, Machine Guns, Beer Money, hell even Lethal Consequences seemed more upbeat than a lot I'd seen on WWE over the past year or so.

Bugs me really, as I've always been a huge fan of the tag teams in wrestling, my fave era was the early 90's in the WWE. I also caught a lot of the Hardys, Dudleys and E&C era as well.

Looking at the modern division, its just poor, even with the Hart Foundation mark 2, the rest seemed under used or non exsistant.

I do long for the days of a decent Tag division in WWE, but its looking pretty distant atm.

seX-Power

Reaction score
I don't get how there were teams like Hardcore Holly/Cody Rhodes and Deuce N Domino who got tag title runs but Cryme Tyme's trophy cabinet remains empty...

Reaction score
I dont think "real" tag teams can last that long. They just end up getting released, or have nothing to do when they have feuded with every tag team.. so they break up.. and then have nothing to do and get released anyway.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
I think a real tag team should be like Hardyz and E&C where they have great success as teams to have even bigger success as singles (one member being the main "breakout" star i.e Jeff Hardy and Edge). WWE should make us really give a damn about teams so that one day we can give a damn about them as individuals if they split. They're trying to make us care about Shad or JTG but they we didn't care about Cryme Tyme. They tried to make us care about Carlito again, which could have worked had they had a plan for him or Primo. We cared about Jeff (at least I did) because the Hardyz won multiple tag titles and were a cornerstone team in WWF/E same with Edge and Christian.