Vince thinking about pulling the plug on WWEN

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I'd be on board with bringing back Russo. The product could use his influence - storylines throughout the show, unique characters, etc - but can Vince still be the great filter like he was in the AE?

Reactions: Prince Bálor

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
I'd be on board with bringing back Russo. The product could use his influence - storylines throughout the show, unique characters, etc - but can Vince still be the great filter like he was in the AE?

Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
This is such a smark thing to say. The deal was fantastic given the library and PPV access even if the product isn't great.
Human beings are fickle. If you watch anime, many of their series only last between 20-30 episodes. I understand Spanish television works similarly.
The U.S is disgustingly notorious for quenching as many seasons as possible out of a saturated product. It's more, more, more rather than proper dosage.
Sometimes, it's best to quit. How many of us stay with the same buddies all our lives?
I'm going overboard to make this point: wrestling isn't so great that we will willingly spend money robotic-ally over a period of time.
Wrestling is entirely formulaic. Once you've seen a good five to ten year period, you are likely to have seen everything incarnation or another.

The WWEN is borne to fail, especially when the american product emphasizes so much quantity over quality.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
Human beings are fickle. If you watch anime, many of their series only last between 20-30 episodes. I understand Spanish television works similarly.
The U.S is disgustingly notorious for quenching as many seasons as possible out of a saturated product. It's more, more, more rather than proper dosage.
Sometimes, it's best to quit. How many of us stay with the same buddies all our lives?
I'm going overboard to make this point: wrestling isn't so great that we will willingly spend money robotic-ally over a period of time.
Wrestling is entirely formulaic. Once you've seen a good five to ten year period, you are likely to have seen everything incarnation or another.

The WWEN is borne to fail, especially when the american product emphasizes so much quantity over quality.
How does this link to anything what so ever?

• Haha
Reactions: Rogue and Swift

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
How does this link to anything what so ever?
You said that the WWEN was a good idea and I say no. WWE thought they could gather a library heavy enough to attract viewers.
This viewership would have warranted starting up the Network when, in reality, is the same garbage regurgitated,
WWEN simply isn't worth paying for over six or even twelve month period.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
You said that the WWEN was a good idea and I say no. WWE thought they could gather a library heavy enough to attract viewers.
This viewership would have warranted starting up the Network when, in reality, is the same garbage regurgitated,
WWEN simply isn't worth paying for over six or even twelve month period.

The library and access to ppv which people pay 60 bucks a month for 10 a month isn't a great deal? They have a ton of different style of shows in the library, wrestling isn't that black and white (if it was WCW and ECW would be the same as the AWA etc) there's that much variety that I don't see how you can argue it's a bad deal. Sure you can find stuff online but that doesn't stop netflix and Spotify being huge successes.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Maybe they never should have announced the library, it's only made fans upset.

"Hey, you know those PPV's that we charge 60 bucks for? Now you can get 6 of them for that price! :yay:"

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
The library and access to ppv which people pay 60 bucks a month for 10 a month isn't a great deal? They have a ton of different style of shows in the library, wrestling isn't that black and white (if it was WCW and ECW would be the same as the AWA etc) there's that much variety that I don't see how you can argue it's a bad deal. Sure you can find stuff online but that doesn't stop netflix and Spotify being huge successes.
No. How many of WWE's PPV's do you actually want to watch?
ECW, WCW, WWE and AWA may not be the same but they certainly aren't anything new. It's all been done before.
Wrestling is entirely formulaic. Two (or more) opponents have a match or feud, then it ends. Nearly every story line has been done in some for ad nauseum.
Every gimmick has been done and every 'look' has been recycled. In wrestling, there is a winner and a loser. That gets redundant 24/7.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
No. How many of WWE's PPV's do you actually want to watch?
ECW, WCW, WWE and AWA may not be the same but they certainly aren't anything new. It's all been done before.
Wrestling is entirely formulaic. Two (or more) opponents have a match or feud, then it ends. Nearly every story line has been done in some for ad nauseum.
Every gimmick has been done and every 'look' has been recycled. In wrestling, there is a winner and a loser. That gets redundant 24/7.

10 dollars doesn't mean you have to watch it 24/7 you seem to hate wrestling, why do you continue to watch and discuss it? Every company had their differences too, it's pretty ignorant to overly simplify it like you do. I mean every movie has a good guy and a bad guy with the bad guy winning let's never watch movies right? Even if I catch 2 PPV a year I'm breaking even vs buying it outright (most people will check out Mania and Summerslam at least) plus the chance to watch a ton of past content etc. How is it a bad deal?

Reactions: Rogue

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
I don't hate wrestling. I've seen it.
I don't watch but I do it discuss with interesting people.
The differences are there but don't amount to much. If I'm paying for something, I will be anal about it.
Movies allow for more storytelling and diversity. The main character may be a woman, gay, small, Blue, a druggie, dead or may not be human at all.
Some movies revolve around the environment, paper, water, food or taxes. Wrestling may touch on those things, but the human element is barely scrapped.

Life isn't all about winning and losing. Some movies and some animes end without a conclusion and leave open ended questions to the imagination. Wrestling isn't like that.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
"Wrestling is entirely formulaic"
I think you mean TV/Movies/Books/Stories in general are formulaic. Any story telling medium follows a formula or various variations of it. Communication in itself is a formula for the transfer of information, emotion and opinion. To complain about something having a formula is silly, it's like complaining about your body having developed a biological system to take up oxygen which makes you live. A show without a formula would not work since it would not make sense.

And when it differs from the formula, you get the unexpected, which creates a peak in the content and story, which more often than not sets up the next chapter. Any form of media content consisting entirely of the unexpected would not last and would not be viable since a formula is needed to get people hooked and paying attention.

The best movies have proper structure, the best books have proper structure, the best albums have proper structure, the best wrestling has structure.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
"Wrestling is entirely formulaic"
I think you mean TV/Movies/Books/Stories in general are formulaic. Any story telling medium follows a formula or various variations of it. Communication in itself is a formula for the transfer of information, emotion and opinion. To complain about something having a formula is silly, it's like complaining about your body having developed a biological system to take up oxygen which makes you live. A show without a formula would not work since it would not make sense.

And when it differs from the formula, you get the unexpected, which creates a peak in the content and story, which more often than not sets up the next chapter. Any form of media content consisting entirely of the unexpected would not last and would not be viable since a formula is needed to get people hooked and paying attention.

The best movies have proper structure, the best books have proper structure, the best albums have proper structure, the best wrestling has structure.
I reject the word 'proper'. I know what I meant when I said it, so there's no need to correct me.
I acknowledge your take and respect your intelligence, but I almost entirely disagree.
Saying the 'best' are 'proper' anything is very robotic, when I'm a human being along with nearly nearly 7 billion others.
It's almost religious to believe that kind of nonsense. I may pay for 'a' show that I find interesting but I won't subscribe to anything I deem mediocre or could or get mediocre over time

If I've misjudged you in anyway, I apologize. I'm against all forms of fascism and that's what it seems like this argument has become.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Would you point me to any kind of TV media that isn't formulaic then?
The daily news follows a certain formula and structure, even the weather report does.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
This is such a smark thing to say. The deal was fantastic given the library and PPV access even if the product isn't great.
Just saying that they can't expect to get a very high number of subscriptions when their current product isn't getting much attention. The people who grew tired of WWE and stopped watching aren't likely to buy the Network to re-watch old stuff, because they don't follow wrestling anymore, so you're down to your current fans. When the current product isn't great, people aren't going to be hooked on the current PPV aspect and not all are interested in old stuff. They do have a good deal, yes, but it appeals to a limited array and when your current stuff is lukewarm, not as many are going to get it. And Rain just gave a great example of a guy who actually saw a good product and thus put down money.