Vince thinking about pulling the plug on WWEN

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
One of the reasons the Network hasn't taken off like they wanted it to isn't just because of the product, it's because of the simple reality that most fans are just casual fans who are never gonna bother spending any money on the product. They'll watch the show out of habit every week, but they won't put down any money to see it. And this has always been the case. Back in the Attitude Era, television ratings were at their highest in 1999 with over 6 million people watching every week, yet the largest PPV buyrate that year was Wrestlemania 15 (also the largest PPV buyrate in WWF history at that point) with only 800,000 buys. Eight-hundred thousand is a large number, but the differences between 800,000 paying to watch WWE on PPV and 6,000,000 watching it for free on TV are still astronomical. And I'm talking only domestically here.

The same still remains true today, where you have approximately four million households watching Raw every week in America, yet not even 1/4 of that can be bothered putting down ten measly dollars for the Network and all that it offers you. I'm sure they'd have a lot more subscriptions if the product was better, but the vast majority of people still wouldn't be bothered paying money for any WWE content, and of the ones that already have, about 150,000 have already unsubscribed! (Including myself.)

And that's surely created much of the ripple effect we see with all the struggles on the business side. Any advertiser knowing most wrestling fans won't spend 10 measly dollars for so much content surely wants to stay away from wrestling.

Matt

Champion
Reaction score
I kind of expected this to happen but not this quickly. does anyone have the subscription figures ?

Jonathan

Champion
Reaction score
I kind of expected this to happen but not this quickly. does anyone have the subscription figures ?

Around 650k if I remember rightly, I'll check

Edit: Just under 700k at the last financial results.

Green Jesus

The Showoff
Reaction score
I kind of feel bad for them. It was a good deal, after all, even if the product is below-average

Matt

Champion
Reaction score
Around 650k if I remember rightly, I'll check

Edit: Just under 700k at the last financial results.

thats like.. 7 million dollars a month D:

Cloud

Champion
Reaction score
Not sure how huge a difference it would make but surely they should have the WWE movies on there?

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
Que? As in where it was launched when they released those?

Just the US as far as I know.
Yeah like North America, Africa, Europe etc. If they're just in the States fuck cancelling it, they'll make some bank in Europe etc given how popular the E are hell create a promotion where network members get discount / early tickets to shows in their area.

Jonathan

Champion
Reaction score
Yeah like North America, Africa, Europe etc. If they're just in the States fuck cancelling it, they'll make some bank in Europe etc given how popular the E are hell create a promotion where network members get discount / early tickets to shows in their area.

This is what they need to do. If you have a network subscription get 20% off every ticket to a live event and 15% off PPV tickets, and say 10% off merchandise. Increase network sales and get more people going to the shows.

Fucking business, it's easy!

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
This is what they need to do. If you have a network subscription get 20% off every ticket to a live event and 15% off PPV tickets, and say 10% off merchandise. Increase network sales and get more people going to the shows.

Fucking business, it's easy!
Let's start a promotion?! So you wanna be a fucking wrestler?

Reactions: Jonathan and Cloud