UFC 146: Dos Santos vs. Mir

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Could see that happening. Kind of similar to UFC 137 when Nick Diaz and GSP were scheduled for the main event for the WW title and Nick no showed a press conference so Dana made him fight BJ Penn at 137 instead and said if he won then he'd be the number one contender.

Only thing is, Overeem still could get fired/suspended by the UFC.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Fabricio Werdum.

Glad Mir got this though, not gonna lie, was scared the Mark Hunt stuff was gonna pull off.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
there should have been no way Mark Hunt could be close to a title shot

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Forgot all about Werdum, yeah i can see him and Cain fighting. That makes sense.

That'd be a pretty awesome match up too. I know Werdum really wanted to fight in Brazil for his next fight, but there's no way he turns down top competition on a HUGE card.

Last edited:

Edgeomatic

Reaction score
I'm really tired of Mir getting fights he doesnt deserve.

Guy got lucky to win the title both times, no idea how he's still got a job with this company.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Roy Nelson just tweeted this

Just asked if I would fight cain for #1 contendership, answer is YES! Overeem pissed hot is my gain!

:hm:

Not sure if he's serious or just trolling

Last edited:

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Wouldn't be surprised if it was true tbh, but purely by default really. I mean the only guy I can think of really is Werdum purely because he beat Nelson last time out.

What's the reason for Mir getting the shot then, has Overeem failed his appeal or have UFC just pulled him regardless of the outcome?

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
They've basically just told Overeem to fuck off and he lost his shot for being an idiot. His appeal is on Tuesday though, It's actually going to be streaming online too.

Seriously though I think though Overeem and his camp sat down with Dana and explained why they thought his testosterone was through the roof, then from there they all realized there was no way that story was going to go over with the athletic commission's and just did what was pretty much inevitable and pulled him from the fight.

And as for Roy, i think it's a win this fight or get cut kind of deal. If he loses the fight he'll be 1-4 in his last 5 and i love Roy but he's gotta get back on track.

Last edited:

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
What the fuck....Big Country loses 3/4 in a row and gets a #1 contender fight....I thought this was MMA, not a sham like boxing.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Dana is yet to confirm this though, it does seem a little odd so I'm not sure it's true.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
ROY Nelson was trolling. Dana just confirmed on Twitter that BIG Foot Silva was fighting Cain Velasquez for the number one contender ship to the heavyweight title.

Rumor is Mark Hunt will take on Roy now, and Matt Mitrione is going to come in to take on Stefan Struve who was Hunt's original Opponent.

So this is the rumored card now

Dos Santos vs Mir
Cain vs Big Foot
Roy vs. Mark Hunt
Stefan Struve vs. Matt Mitrione
Gabriel Gonzaga vs Shane Del Rosario

Last edited:

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Can't help but feel that Cain potentially winning just 1 fight and being back as #1 contender is very premature especially how swiftly he was put away by Junior.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
It may not be for the number one contender spot, i just assumed that it was going to be. I mean with Overeem out (Likely) for a while as he'll likely have his fight licence suspended for 6-12 months That'll leave Mir/Santos/Cain/Werdum as the top four heavyweights in the division.

Maybe they'll throw Mark Hunt and Werdum into the mix and have Cain fight them before getting the title shot. I don't know, it's all confusing right now because Overeem fucked it all up.

Last edited:

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
I think Werdum is going to wait for Brazil to fight. He really wants to and I don't blame him. Plus where are you going to put him now that Big Foot Silva is taking on Cain. You can't have him face Nelson anymore. I like the Mitirone idea because he's someone that can swing. Mark Hunt vs Roy Nelson is the ultimate fan favorites going at it with one another. I'm not sure who the crowd would go for.

I used to be a massive Mir hater, but he's an intelligent guy and I got great respect for him. He did get lucky to get this title shot with the way things worked out, but it's the right decision. Who else are you going to put in there?

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I'm really tired of Mir getting fights he doesnt deserve.

Guy got lucky to win the title both times, no idea how he's still got a job with this company.

got lucky? The first time he won the title he pretty much handed Sylvia his ass and broke his arm in under a minute with a real good armbar. That wasn't luck... that was straight skill.

The second time... kinda since Big Nog was sick and everything. But Mir has earned it. He fought Mirko... although the fight completely sucked. He beat Big Country... in a fight that wasn't too good but he still delivered. And against a healthy Big Nog... he survived almost being finished and made him tap... albeit with a broken arm in the process but still.

Mir has been improving a lot and also considering his seriously dangerous ground game... he is one that is not to be messed with and I mean why else would he have been originally slated for a number one contender's fight? The guy is on a serious streak right now. Yeah he doesn't have the best hands and won't ever have the best hands... but he is still good. He earned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.