UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
There's def going to be a rematch, but I think Hendo is going to be wanting a title fight, and I think he'll stink around at 205. If Jones beats Machida he's prob getting Evans next, but I could see Hendo getting a shot if Machida gets the win. Up in the air on who Shogun will fight next.

I hope there's a rematch at some point.

Deuce

Reaction score
A rematch would be great, these 2 are both amazing competitors.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
there has to be a rematch down the road. Evans is getting the next title fight after the Jones/Machida fight. Then after that it has to be Hendo next in line with Shogun probably facing the loser of the Champion vs. Evans fight. And then the loser of the Hendo vs. Champion fight should face Machida. Then somehow through all of that mess... Hendo vs. Shogun II :p

Deuce

Reaction score
Jon Jones is gonna defeat Lyoto Machida if Jones stays away from those head kicks of Machida's, and the submissions. Should be a great one , also think Dan Henderson will become the champ and will have to defend it against Shogun Rua sometime.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Jones should be able to pull out a win when he fights Machida, but i wouldn't be overly shocked if he ends up not winning.

Deuce

Reaction score
Jones should be able to pull out a win when he fights Machida, but i wouldn't be overly shocked if he ends up not winning.

Same here, Machida is a tough fighter so it could really go either way in this one. I am a fan of Jones so I hope he wins but if he doesn't, I won't be disappointed... Machida is a great fighter.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Shogun showed how to defeat Machida... leg kicks will make him change up what he has to do. Rampage managed to win a fight against Machida as well. Machida is beatable... but I dunno. I'm sure Jones has the tools to win it... but he doesn't seem as polished as Machida so to me its more of a toss up. Machida can get those kicks in real quick whereas Jones' kicks aren't as quick. He has the reach... but you gotta get passed those kicks to reach it.

I can't pick yet.

Deuce

Reaction score
I think Jones definitely has the strength advantage BUT Machida has better striking ability so it depends how well Jones uses his strength. The fight will be a good one for sure and I think Jones can pull out the victory if he wears Machida down.

Ben

Reaction score
Score Card for Hendo/Shogun
01-shogun-vs-henderson-ufc-139-scorecard_large.jpg

No 10-8 on the card, and all 3 judges have Hendo winning the first 3 rounds and Shogun taking the last 2. Some people are bitching for a draw, but really I think they got it right all things considered.

Also if you missed it during the show, here's Le's busted up nose after eating those huge knees from Wandy
Le_nose.jpg

Deuce

Reaction score
Henderson defeated Shogun, people just need to accept the facts that Hendo was the tougher man in this fight. I bet the only reason they are bitching and whining is because they bet for Shogun... they should accept that they lost.

Wanderlei really pummeled Le, damn that looks terrible!

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Dana White revealed the bonuses for an amazing UFC 139: "Shogun vs. Hendo" event, the promotional debut for the UFC at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California, during the post-fight press conference after the event on Saturday night.

"Knockout Of The Night" went to Michael McDonald, who picked up a big KO over Alex Soto in the first Spike TV preliminary bout. McDonald's KO at 56 seconds of the first round earned the up-and-coming prospect an additional $70,000.

"Submission Of The Night" went to the new UFC bantamweight number one contender Urijah Faber, for his impressive guillotine choke victory over Brian Bowles. Faber's second round submission earned "The California Kid" an additional $70,000.

And in an interesting turn of events, despite being widely considered possibly the best fight in MMA history, Dan Henderson vs. Mauricio Rua's five-round war wasn't the only fight to earn "Fight Of The Night" honors, as UFC president Dana White opted to give out two "Fight Of The Night" bonuses. Hendo's unanimous decision victory over Shogun earned both guys an extra $70,000, but Wanderlei Silva and Cung Le each received $70,000 extra in cheddar cheese for their epic two-round slugfest in the evening's co-main event.

MMANews.com

I agree with his decsion to give out two fight of the night bounses, Hendrson/Shogun was amazing. But Silva and Cung le was pretty good as well.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Henderson defeated Shogun, people just need to accept the facts that Hendo was the tougher man in this fight.

Shogun took an absolute shellacking in RD2, and came back in the last two rds fresh as a daisy, so there was no "tougher man" they were both warriors and it could of gone either way.......Hendo was out on his feet in R4.

Every fight was awesome btw, probably the G.O.A.T MMA card.

Dademo

Reaction score
We probably saw the best MMA fight in history and one of the best combat sports fights ever. Amazing event, and amazing night for MMA overall.

Ben

Reaction score
Payouts for the event listed below, lol at Le making 350k and being the top earner on the card(would guess his SF contract carried over) Bigger lol at Nick Pace making 4k for his fight. UFC needs to pay the undercard fighter better and have set minimums, like a 10k to show 20 k to win.

Dan Henderson -- $250,000
Mauricio Rua -- $165,000
Henderson defeated Rua via unanimous decision
Wanderlei Silva -- $200,000
Cung Le -- $350,000
Silva defeated Le via technical knockout (strikes) in round two
Urijah Faber -- $64,000 ($32,000 to show, $32,000 to win)
Brian Bowles -- $19,000
Faber defeated Bowles via submission (guillotine choke) in round two
Stephan Bonnar -- $68,000 ($34,000 to show, $34,000 to win)
Kyle Kingsbury -- $10,000
Bonnar defeated Kingsbury via unanimous decision
Martin Kampmann -- $58,000 ($29,000 to show, $29,000 to win)
Rick Story -- $19,000
Kampmann defeated Story via split decision
Ryan Bader -- $48,000 ($24,000 to show, $24,000 to win)
Jason Brilz -- $13,000
Bader defeated Brilz via technical knockout (strikes) in round one
Michael McDonald -- $14,000 ($7,000 to show, $7,000 to win)
Alex Soto -- $6,000
McDonald defeated Soto via technical knockout (strikes) in round one
Chris Weidman -- $24,000 ($12,000 to show, $12,000 to win)
Tom Lawlor -- $12,000
Weidman defeated Lawlor via submission (d'arce choke) in round one
Gleison Tibau -- $54,000 ($27,000 to show, $27,000 to win)
Rafael dos Anjos -- $16,000
Tibau defeated dos Anjos via split decision
Miguel Torres -- $60,000 ($30,000 to show, $30,000 to win)
Nick Pace -- $4,000
Torres defeated Pace via unanimous decision
Seth Baczynski -- $16,000 ($8,000 to show, $8,000 to win)
Matt Brown -- $12,000
Baczynski defeated Brown via submission (guillotine choke) in round two
Danny Castillo -- $34,000 ($17,000 to show, $17,000 to win)
Shamar Bailey -- $8,000
Castillo defeated Bailey via technical knockout (strikes) in round one

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
After losing a decision to Dan Henderson at UFC 139, Shogun Rua wants a chance to redeem himself as he feels the fight should have ended in a draw.

While speaking to Esporta UOL, Shogun discussed the bout and explained why he felt it should have been a draw after five rounds of action:

"It certainly was a great fight. I do not know how the judges made the final round of counting, could or should have been 10-8 to me. But that takes nothing away from Dan Henderson. He is a legend and one of those fighters who have created a legacy. But I want revenge, I think it would be another great battle and the public wants to see ", said Shogun after the defeat."

Henderson won the fight 48-47 on all three of the judges scorecards while Fight Metric, who is the official stat provider for the UFC, scored the fight a draw as did UFC President Dana White who voiced his thoughts on the bout at the post fight press conference but gave no indication there would be a rematch.

MMANews.com