Tournament 14: Most Overrated Of The Year

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Who Is The Most Overrated Of The Year

• Alberto Del Rio

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • CM Punk

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Curtis Axel

• Dean Ambrose

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Fandango

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Jack Swagger

• John Cena

• Randy Orton

• Rob Van Dam

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ryback

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Nah really wasn't lol cause I could actually see the case being made for that.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Fucking marks complaining that he isn't in every match and holding every belt are really making me not like he guy despite him still being one of my favorites.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I did vote Ryback just because he was rushed to a high profile slot and since a promising 2012, has not shown much signs of improving this year. I think from the other newer guys Axel was the closest to getting vote, just have not seen anything in him yet.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Seth Rollins for me, was tempted to vote for Axel.

Rollins completes the group and he needs to be there for The Shield to be The Shield. However, seeing as I don't watch NXT, I still don't really know what he's capable of in the ring. I don't see the appeal of him yet except for his unique appearance. Dean's admittedly been the worst champion all year probably, but at least I have an idea of how Ambrose and Reigns will do on their own one day because at least those two had some stand-out matches this year that I can point to.

Seth Rollins still hasn't grown on me, he hasn't shown the same potential in his matches yet like his partners have, and I can't recall what his promos sound like. To me he's the most forgettable Shield member, but I guess he's given a pass because he was good on NXT?

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Bah, I voted for Swagger by accident. Went to go for CURTIS AXEL.

I've heard so much talk this year about how he's a great wrestler that's just lacking some charisma or mic skills. In my opinion, the guy is lacking in every department.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Dean Ambrose without a shadow of a doubt.

He's supposed to be the leader of the group yet is always the guy in the background and completely overshadowed by Rollins & Reigns. Supposed to be some amazing promo guy, but all i've heard from is a slow speaking, monotonous tone which a certain Randy Orton gets crucified for.

Not really his fault, but has done absolutely nothing with the US Title despite being hailed as the guy to bring it's credibility back.

Also he never seems to be the guy you talk about after a Shield match, it's either Reigns going crazy with Spear spots or Seth interactions with a guy and looking like he's getting killed off spots.

@Gimmick edited your choice too.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I thought the term we are using is "overrated"...as in this guy is being hyped up soo much, but he isn't cutting the mustard.

Which is why I voted CM Punk(obvs I know). This guy was supposed to be the next Steve Austin and change the WWE and usher in a new direction...what happened? Absolutely nothing. What did he do of merir this year? Take the biggest draw(Brock) they had and lose viewers. Take out the best heel(Heyman) the company had and meet it with sheer apathy. Not to mention how he is supposed to be so gold on the mic, that people will never admit he does some of the same shit Cena does. Last monday was a prime example, if Cena made a promo listing off random names, people would be all "shameless panderer" "what a dork"...but CM Punk does it.....Overrated to the exact definition.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
Went with Del Rio.... just don't understand why they keep putting titles on the guy

Chris Dresdon

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I wish AJ Lee was on this list, because she's easily one of the most overrated acts I've ever seen come down wrestling's pike. Honestly though, out of everyone that is on the list, I think Del Rio is the most overrated. Guy throws a nice superkick, but that's about all he has going for him. He's a boring face, he's a bland heel, and I don't enjoy his matches. Overrated.

Reactions: Dale

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I wish AJ Lee was on this list, because she's easily one of the most overrated acts I've ever seen come down wrestling's pike. Honestly though, out of everyone that is on the list, I think Del Rio is the most overrated. Guy throws a nice superkick, but that's about all he has going for him. He's a boring face, he's a bland heel, and I don't enjoy his matches. Overrated.

AJ has pretty much breathed life into a dead division, that makes her one of the success stories of the year to me. Why don't you rate her?

CGS

Reaction score
IMO AJ isn't anything that special. She just shines big time in a divas division that is basically a sack of shit. Stick her in any division pre 2007 and I doubt she would have the same hype about her.

Don't get me wrong she's far from terrible and is obviously the best thing right now but she's defo overrated in terms of her overall hype.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Don't really see her being overrated just praised for being something bearable in a dry division. She can work and can handle mic work (whether you like her material is all down to your preference of course) don't really see what is wrong with her.

Nate

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
homicide
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
I have a soft spot for AJ so I really don't consider her the most overrated. Overrated yes but definitely not the most overrated, but you have to admit she plays the pyscho-ex gimmick perfectly.

Honestly my pick was Chris Jericho. He did absolutely nothing when he came back to the WWE, other than giving Fandango a hell of a debut match at Wrestlemania, and giving Ryback his first PPV win via rollup. I like Jericho and I find him entertaining, but fuck man his last run did absolutely nothing for me. I suppose his purpose in the WWE nowadays is to put over the newer talent, which is a shame but I guess Jerico had a good run during his prime when he first won the Undisputed Championship. Oh but I have to admit his match with RVD was pretty excellent so I'll give him props for that.

Seth Rollins
was my second nomination, which I kind of regret nominating him only because he isn't that well received as he was a little while ago. Don't get me wrong he does good but nobody considers him higher up anymore now that his title is gone. I'm sure he'll bounce around when The Shield breaks up and have some good runs with the IC title, possibly the WHC as well (or maybe not...) but anything higher than that? Doubt it. Randy Orton was my other nomination because I'm biased against Orton like that. Leave it to Orton to get bigger pops then anyone that he's faced on RAW so far since he turned heel, and yes that includes Dolph Ziggler as well.

As for the other nominations:

Punk: I can see why he's overrated. But then again he's either went against guys who are above his league or below his league so it's kind of hard to judge. His feud with the Shield right now is the perfect level as to his popularity and drawing status so hopefully he will be better received from the IWC.

Alberto Del Rio:
How the fuck is he overrated? He gets shit on my pretty much everybody so I don't see why people consider him overrated. Then again it may be a matter of him getting titles, which then I can see why he's 'overrated'.

Dean Ambrose: Again I'm a bit biased because I was a huge Jon Moxley fan while he was in the indies, but again I don't see how he can be considered overrated. Yes he's been US Champion for a while but honestly WWE has never had him defend that title, especially since Reigns and Rollins lost their tag team titles. Plus Ambrose got jobbed the fuck out at Survivor Series. :lmao

Swagger: :rofl

John Cena: Yeah him being considered 'overrated' is probably the biggest ongoing discussion in the IWC since... whenever he's been considered overrated (2007?). But in short no I don't consider him overrated.

RVD: RVD's an interesting case, because the past couple of times he switched shows people chewed him out for having a very stale moveset, yet there were others that treated him like he was the next Cena. When he came back to the WWE he had a moderate showing and a modest run while feuding with Del Rio and Ambrose. Yeah I personally think he's not overrated for his most recent run, which is a first tbh.

Ryback: Same as Del Rio, a lot of people shit on Ryback so I don't see how he's considered overrated. And again yes he was in the main event scene but he never won the gold against Cena. Hell he won what, 2 PPV matches?

Fandango: I wouldn't considered him overrated, I would consider his debut over-hyped more than anything. Of course since his concussion he's done fuck all as well, js.

Curtis Axel: Definitely not overrated. Especially without Heyman there to back his ass up. :heyman:

Edit: Apparently Chris Jericho wasn't on the list, Randy Orton it is then.

Last edited:

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
If Ryback wins this then I'm writing a column over the definition of the word overrated for you people.