This Is My Yard Now

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Geek773

First RWK Euro Champion
Banned
Reaction score
To my mind, Reigns is the first new age heel. Crowds today don't boo or cheer people based on the good or bad things they do in kayfabe, they boo or cheer people based on how good a performer they percieve them to be, and whether they have a catchphrase they enjoy. You can argue till the cows come home whether this is a good or a bad thing, but it's true. And it means that the babyface and the heel in their traditional forms hardly exist anymore.

The second Roman turns heel, it will be cheered. It's as simple as that. Roman shouldn't, and hopefully won't, ever do heel things. Ever. He should win matches clean, be put over by commentary, be booked like a babyface in every way. And he should ALWAYS be in top title contention. Because people (including me) don't think that he deserves that spot on his own merits, and that is how you get someone booed in 2017. For now, they should even keep putting him against heels because that's what will maintain his heat best. But then, slowly but surely, keeping him moral, playing by the rules and on top, they should start booking him against faces. He still doesn't break the rules, but that babyface (whoever it is WWE actually want as their next top face, which will become clear in the next year. Someone talented enough to be universally appreciated, anyway. Zayn possibly) will be cheered to fuck, and Reigns will be booed to fuck. Hell, have them act like Ziggler, whoever they are, being incredibly arrogant, or otherwise make it so commentary can treat them like the heel, and Roman like the face. And then the crowd will contradict them. They'll think they're doing the opposite of what they should be, but in reality Reigns will be a machine that can get anyone over. They just have to continue acting as if he's their number one face, but give that spot to someone else in reality. Things are being turned on their head, and if WWE stay ahead of the curve then Roman will be the first example of that.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
^ Another good point. If they turned Roman heel, he would get cheered because that is what the majority want to see. By not turning him at all, they are working the crowd and he is now a tweener which ironically makes him a legit heel. It is perfect! And as mentioned before, I swear they lucked out on this happening. lol

Reactions: edge4ever

Geek773

First RWK Euro Champion
Banned
Reaction score
^ Another good point. If they turned Roman heel, he would get cheered because that is what the majority want to see. By not turning him at all, they are working the crowd and he is now a tweener which ironically makes him a legit heel. It is perfect! And as mentioned before, I swear they lucked out on this happening. lol
They absolutely did, their own awful booking and refusal to look past Roman: the perfect combo of big, sweaty and Samoan (by blood anyway) got them to a point where they have one of the all time great heat machines. Now they have it, though, the best thing they could do is have Reigns rek everyone except the few babyfaces they really want to get over, then have Roman beat a bunch of heels while being booed before facing and losing to those faces, before becoming a badass midcard face or maybe heel once people start to respect him. Once Hunter takes over this is the kind of thing we can hope for.

Reactions: Solid Snake

speedy

Jobber
Reaction score
quotes from a triple h interview
“People can look at Roman Reigns and say, ‘The failed attempt that is Roman Reigns,’ but Roman Reigns sells tickets,” said Levesque. “Roman Reigns gets one of the loudest reactions every night, whether that reaction is a boo or whether that reaction is a cheer. The fans who say, ‘I don’t understand why they don’t turn Roman Reigns heel!’ Isn’t he already?

“If you believe what you believe, and you’re saying, ‘How can they not turn him heel? There is 70 percent of the crowd booing him out of the building!’ If that’s your belief, then isn’t he already the biggest heel we have? If 70 percent of that crowd is booing him, then he’s a heel. We’re just presenting him to you in a different way that makes you hate him.”

WholeFN'Moe

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
quotes from a triple h interview
“People can look at Roman Reigns and say, ‘The failed attempt that is Roman Reigns,’ but Roman Reigns sells tickets,” said Levesque. “Roman Reigns gets one of the loudest reactions every night, whether that reaction is a boo or whether that reaction is a cheer. The fans who say, ‘I don’t understand why they don’t turn Roman Reigns heel!’ Isn’t he already?

“If you believe what you believe, and you’re saying, ‘How can they not turn him heel? There is 70 percent of the crowd booing him out of the building!’ If that’s your belief, then isn’t he already the biggest heel we have? If 70 percent of that crowd is booing him, then he’s a heel. We’re just presenting him to you in a different way that makes you hate him.”

He's not in that spot because he gets a reaction..... He gets a reaction because he's in that spot.

He's in the spot because of his family, not because of the reaction lol... that's the dumbest shit I ever heard. There were plans to make him the top guy long before any reaction & they're not going to give up because of his family.

People want the guy they love to be in the top spot, they care about that spot. It doesn't matter if you're boring in that spot the people won't be silent ever... if you're boring you're going to get boo'd because they want somebody that isn't boring. If you're boring on the midcard however, you're just a bathroom/texting break because nobody cares. Therefor you can put anybody in that spot and they will get a reaction whether it be boos or cheers.

However, it's painfully obvious that WWE wants Roman to be their top babyface... THAT is why they aren't turning him heel, not because it's some genius move by him sucking lol.... therefore becoming the best heel ever... you're telling me it's a competition of who can suck more? ...Whoever sucks the most and bores the fans enough to get boo'd the most is actually the best wrestler? Bizarro world or what lol GET OUT!

Reaction or not.... Roman still sucks, bottom line & there's guys all over the world that have been working for years & who are better/more deserving of that spot yet Roman is there because of his family.

Who the fuck wants to see boring Roman Reigns when they could have AJ Styles or Kenny Omega?

That's why he gets boo'd.... it's not because he's good at anything... it's because he's bad at everything... oh wait ya got me, he's good at sucking so he gets boo'd.

Last edited:

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
People who think Roman sucks seem to have pretty peculiar tastes in wrestling. He literally does nothing wrong. The dude hasn't had a legit bad match since getting promoted and he has his act down.

As for the "anyone gets a reaction in the main event spot" argument. See Lashley, Bobby and Luger, Lex. To see that that just ain't true.

Roman's reaction is based off of a backlash based off of accused (and somewhat rightly accused) nepotism. But if you don't think Vince is milking that reaction to suit his needs then you're probably watching the wrong programming. Vince always takes a natural reaction and adapts it if it serves his purpose. They did it with the Rock (who everyone HATED when he first debuted and got his first push) and they have been doing it with Cena for the better part of 10 years.

Even if people boo Reigns, they are going to watch to see if he ever gets beat/depushed. So people are still going to watch him. That's a win for Vince.

WholeFN'Moe

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
As for the anyone gets a reaction argument. See Lashley, Bobby and Luger, Lex. To see that that just ain't true.

Lashley was the top face in the company?

...When he never even held the WWE Title? No man... there were never any plans to have Lashley be ahead of Cena however, here with the biggest Title in WWE that he had ..the Bobby chants are almost as loud as CM Punk chants ffs lol:

Also, sometimes the fans don't make their mind up on somebody right away but Luger? lol 1992 now? but yeah I guess that's an okay reference but at about 28:30 it doesn't seem very silent to me:

Check this out:

Doesn't sound silent to me and pretty loud on top of WCW don't ya think?

The dude hasn't had a legit bad match

Not only is it not the best match on the card or is he not the best in the ring, which it should be both because that's the spot he's in but also ......he's NO WHERE NEAR that, not even close so when people say he sucks, I think they're comparing it to how good he should be in order to be the very top guy in the very top company in the entire world, the mecca. They also see this giant revolution & all of this talent coming in from all over the world who have all been working for years & years all OVER the world to perfect every style & hone their craft on the mic, in the ring & yes some of them have the look too but yet WWE points at this random dude they found with no experience who is related to The Rock & tries to tell everybody he is the best in the world?

...No he's not, and nobody buys it. Yet they just train him a few months & shoot him to the top no questions asked. There's no justifying it... it's obvious nepotism & it's their right to do that since it's not illegal but don't call it something else because he's not good enough to be in that spot.

The best should be at the top. It's WWE, not some bingo hall. It's supposed to be the mecca. Not the "Hire this average Joe because he's a good size & related to The Rock"

Look I've been in a ring & sure, if you're running some local promotion, then fine make him the top guy but there is NO WAY he deserves to be the top guy in WWE.

And I totally respect the fact that you or other people want to maybe be complacent or positive about the product so that they can force themselves to enjoy it instead of complaining all the time, that's fine too but I'm not going to lie to myself & pretend I'm being entertained when I know the rest of the guys are WAY more entertaining when given the chance. You can go ahead and love & watch Roman all day long all you want, that's fine! ....& there's no doubting that he's good at being hated lol because obviously people want him to go away.

(Even though this isn't the 80s... And you don't get boo'd based on your character it's based on how talented you are)

....But that being said, don't try and say Roman is some big genius for getting hated or the best guy in the world for the job when obviously he's not even close & the reason he gets boo'd is because he sucks not because he's good at doing anything or has any talent.

WWE wants him as their top face, which will never happen. That's why they're not turning him heel, it's not some big strategic move... He will never be over, they can do whatever they want with him obviously and keep him at the top no matter how much he is boo'd, that's their right but dude ain't gettin over, ever & he'll never be the best guy for the job.

Last edited:

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
We are in a different time. A lot of people who are pissed at WWE or pissed at Roman need to rethink things.
The louder people boo him, the more over he is. The more people complain about him, the more attention he is getting.

WholeFN'Moe

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
We are in a different time. A lot of people who are pissed at WWE or pissed at Roman need to rethink things.
The louder people boo him, the more over he is. The more people complain about him, the more attention he is getting.

But they don't NEED to rethink things... he's not going to be over, WWE needs to deal with that. And regardless, he still sucks & there's still way more entertaining guys out there.

As I said, ya don't gotta like it but it's true. He shouldn't be in the top spot just because of his family.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
But they don't NEED to rethink things... he's not going to be over, WWE needs to deal with that.

In terms of the current generation... he is OVER. Look how mad he has made you. That is what they are doing. HHH said it himself. They want you to hate him.

WholeFN'Moe

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
In terms of the current generation... he is OVER. Look how mad he has made you. That is what they are doing. HHH said it himself. They want you to hate him.

That doesn't make sense.

He doesn't get boo'd because he's good at anything.... he gets boo'd because he sucks at everything.

You're telling me it's a competition for who sucks so bad that they can get boo'd the most?

Oh ok... well he definitely wins that competition.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
That doesn't make sense.

He doesn't get boo'd because he's good at anything.... he gets boo'd because he sucks at everything.

You're telling me it's a competition for who sucks so bad that they can get boo'd the most?

He doesn't suck at all. The way he was booked is to get under your skin. Trust me. He can wrestle. His promo skills still may need work but to say he can't wrestle at this point, you've got to be blind.
He is getting the same treatment Cena did for years. People saying he can't wrestle, he is boring, he is all the company cares about... it is working out for them in a big way.

Smg

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Reigns, but I'm intrigued to see where they're going with him. I just hope wwe has learned from 2015/2016, and books him better now

Reactions: Gman003 and Geek773

Geek773

First RWK Euro Champion
Banned
Reaction score
That doesn't make sense.

The objective of a heel is to get booed, so that when you put them against a face the face will get cheered. It's easier to do, theoretically, than just saying "here's a wrestler, isn't he nice, cheer him pls" because people will hate someone more readily than like them.

In 1980, people got booed if they did nasty things like cheat to win or be arrogant n stuff. Today, that won't get you booed anymore because people accept it as being a heel, so they don't hate them for it, so they don't boo them. Look at AJ, look at KO. But this is a problem when you're trying to get some babyface cheered still, you still need someone people boo.

People now boo people if they think they're not good or don't deserve their spot. So Reigns is there to get booed so that, at some point, other people can get cheered. So in a way, yes, it's a contest for being not very good. Or at least, making people think you're bad without actually having bad matches, because that would make the face look bad. This is exactly what Roman's doing.

Did he get there initially because of his family, or because of being big and Samoan as opposed to actually talented? Probably. But it doesn't matter now, because now they seem to be harnessing that for heat.

The old face vs heel was "moral, nice person" vs "cheating, nasty, arrogant person" and people reacted accordingly. Now people don't react that way so, slowly, faces and heels are changing. The new face is an excellent wrestler, and the new heel is percieved as either a bad wrestler or not a good enough wrestler for their spot. Reigns is the first new heel, and you are reacting to him exactly how they want you to. Which, for the business, is a good thing, to be honest. Because we need to hate and boo people so that we can like whoever they're facing.

Now we just have to hope they actually start putting him against faces, instead of continuing to act like he's being cheered and putting him against heels, proving me wrong.

Reactions: Gman003 and Smg