The Wednesday Night War

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

bullyballmm

babeball
Main Eventer
Reaction score
I better get all those boxes of tissues ready to hand out again just
in case the WWE decide to ruin something special AGAIN.

I thought you said The Fiend, and the people who liked The Fiend, are stupid?

I hope those tissues are for tears of laughter...

InsaneAlphaBeta

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
I thought you said The Fiend, and the people who liked The Fiend, are stupid?

I hope those tissues are for tears of laughter...
Nah, he didnt say that, i believe he called people who liked the fiend "Sheep" though i may be missremembering.

Regardless, thats not really related to the current discussion, which is about NXT/WWE vs AEW

Jeffry Mason

Your Local Sports Team Sucks
Reaction score
But here is the thing about that, so many people, includeing people like Meltzer who has worked for and knows Vince Mcmahon well, knows and has said that, if NXT loses in the rateings against AEW, Vince will surely step in and change NXT to try and fix that because no way does vince wanna lsoe in rateings, and if that happens the product is NOT gonna get better, its going to get worse, and with NXTs viewership already dropping 14% (from 1.179 million viewers on the debut episode to 1.006 million, barely even staying above 1 million) i have a feeling AEW is gonna just destroy NXT in the rateings as NXT si already established so AEWs first show being that, its first show is gonna cripple the NXt rateings and they will soar ahead, which in turn causes Vince to get his hands on NXT and screw with Triple Hs baby, which we can all agree is worst case scenario, if that happens its like a form of suicide, fans love NXT BECAUSE of how unique and different it is, if it become slike Raw or Smackdown, its gonna die VERY quickly.
You could also attribute the drop in ratings this week to the fact that a lot of new seasons of shows premiered this week. I'm sure a lot of people were also turned off by the whole 1 hour on USA, one hour on the Network thing they did this and last week. Starting next week the entire show will be on USA, so then we'll really see. As I mentioned, I do think the easy accessibility of the NXT replays will factor in, and I'm sure WWE is expecting initial high ratings for AEW as a result of both this and just curiosity by the casual viewer. I feel like once both shows are on, however, WWE will be able to regain a big part of their fans, I mean, Universe, who decide to switch over the first few weeks, because a lot of the casuals are gonna look at it and not see a huge difference, especially when half of their main eventers are ex-WWE guys, so why not stick with what they already know and are familiar with? Not to mention, AEW only currently has the one show, with one brand. NXT is still seen by many as a developmental, and there has been and probably will be more crossovers in the future, so if they're already watching the WWE, they're gonna wanna tune in to NXT to see how it affects Raw and Smackdown. Whereas with AEW, the entire roster is already being featured on the only AEW show, if that makes sense

bullyballmm

babeball
Main Eventer
Reaction score
I'm going to hold my tongue then.

But I agree with Jeff that the decrease in views over this one week shouldn't be a concern, as you always lose viewers after a premiere. AEW is going lose viewers in their second week. It is what it is. Let's not pay too much attention to the ratings (I know you are going to for this post, just don't think the rest of us fans should) and just enjoy the wrestling we are getting from both promotions.

InsaneAlphaBeta

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
You could also attribute the drop in ratings this week to the fact that a lot of new seasons of shows premiered this week. I'm sure a lot of people were also turned off by the whole 1 hour on USA, one hour on the Network thing they did this and last week. Starting next week the entire show will be on USA, so then we'll really see. As I mentioned, I do think the easy accessibility of the NXT replays will factor in, and I'm sure WWE is expecting initial high ratings for AEW as a result of both this and just curiosity by the casual viewer. I feel like once both shows are on, however, WWE will be able to regain a big part of their fans, I mean, Universe, who decide to switch over the first few weeks, because a lot of the casuals are gonna look at it and not see a huge difference, especially when half of their main eventers are ex-WWE guys, so why not stick with what they already know and are familiar with? Not to mention, AEW only currently has the one show, with one brand. NXT is still seen by many as a developmental, and there has been and probably will be more crossovers in the future, so if they're already watching the WWE, they're gonna wanna tune in to NXT to see how it affects Raw and Smackdown. Whereas with AEW, the entire roster is already being featured on the only AEW show, if that makes sense
You might argue that AEW only having One show and one brand adds to the appeal, ive heard countless times about the WWE product being too long and how there is so much of it, watching it can be exhuasting for some people (there is at the very least now a total of 7 hours of wrestling, and 8 if smackdown goes to 3 hours as rumored, which is ALOT of wrestling) cobine that with AEW which like you said has one brand one show, thats 9, possibly 10 hours of wrestling a week, and thats not counting PPVs, so how people devide their time is gonna be interesting.

And absolutely i think the NXT replay on the WWE Network the day after is gonna have a HUGE effect, because it means you dont even have to choose, you can watch AEW live on wednesday then NXT the day after, your handing people a reason to not even watch NXT when they got AEW and they can watch NXT the day after, though thats also just for network subscribers, as far as TV ratings go i feel like it only makes matters worse, because majority of NXTs audience id wager are from the network, take them out of the picture and you lose a large chunk of your audience, combine that with WWE practicly helping AEW by making in advance, wednesdays a wrestling day, people now know wednesdays is the day wrestling happens, which vastly increases the likelyhood of AEW getting more viewers, its like they are shooting themselves in the foot, but are numb to the pain

WWE may gain viewers for sure, but there is just as much a chance they lsoe them, the numbers from these past 2 weeks alone are so facsinateing, if you read, in week one in the 18 to 34 range males were at 0.28 (280.000 ish) and females was at 0.20 (200.000 ish). But this week that dropped hard, only 0.20 males and 0.12 for females, meanwhile the older viewers went up from 0.47 in the 50+ to 0.48. And with AEW trying to bring back lapsed fans and possibly new younger fans, they may do great in both aspects. There are still so many factors we dont know, it can go so many different ways. And that goes for NXT aswell, people said the first week the USA hour was not good but the hour that was on the network was great, and now this week ive heard its reversed, the first hour was great but the second hour on the network wasnt good at all. When NXTs fully on USA they need to nail both hours or its gonna get bad.

Also, speaking of numbers.

I'm going to hold my tongue then.

But I agree with Jeff that the decrease in views over this one week shouldn't be a concern, as you always lose viewers after a premiere. AEW is going lose viewers in their second week. It is what it is. Let's not pay too much attention to the ratings (I know you are going to for this post, just don't think the rest of us fans should) and just enjoy the wrestling we are getting from both promotions.
Oh absolutely! even though i can posting and analyzeing the numbers as these weeks progress im certainly gonna enjoy all the wrestling that we will get, these stats are honestly mainly to keep track, i think it would be neat to have a record of this event as it happened, for however long it lasts, plus it can add to discussions and such as it is a bit! :emoji_slight_smile:

Reactions: bullyballmm

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
You might argue that AEW only having One show and one brand adds to the appeal, ive heard countless times about the WWE product being too long and how there is so much of it, watching it can be exhuasting for some people (there is at the very least now a total of 7 hours of wrestling, and 8 if smackdown goes to 3 hours as rumored, which is ALOT of wrestling) cobine that with AEW which like you said has one brand one show, thats 9, possibly 10 hours of wrestling a week, and thats not counting PPVs, so how people devide their time is gonna be interesting.

When I first moved to Tennessee, I was surprised by how much wrestling was on TV. I fell in love with NWA Saw. It was awesome. They showed one hour a week, late at night. It was held in an old mill and I was completely hooked on it.

Sometimes when you have less, you end up having more because you look forward to it more when you get so little.

Reactions: bullyballmm

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Well maybe it would be better to call it something else. The Wednesday Night Experience? Hmmm. Nah.

I really want to look at this as almost a collaboration. They are not working together, but they are producing 4 hours of wrestling from arguably the two best rosters in wrestling... note I did not call it sports entertainment. NXT and AEW are wrestling and Wednesday was awesome,

bullyballmm

babeball
Main Eventer
Reaction score
The Wednesday Night Experience? Hmmm. Nah.

Experience has shown that using the word 'experience' in a proper noun leaves people who hear that noun being used experiencing an irrational hatred for the word 'experience'.

Now to train my experience points in trolling with some new experiences.

I hope you've enjoyed your experience with my post on experience.

Reactions: Jacob Fox

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Experience has shown that using the word 'experience' in a proper noun leaves people who hear that noun being used experiencing an irrational hatred for the word 'experience'.

Now to train my experience points in trolling with some new experiences.

I hope you've enjoyed your experience with my post on experience.

:quiet:

white crow

The Serbian Butcher
Hotshot
Reaction score
Nothing funnier than reading Youtube marks who think AEW will put WWE out of bussines
:psycho:

Same people who type “I love you Roman” and think that Rikishi and Kevin Sullivan killed the Benoits for The Rock.