The Wednesday Night War

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

bullyballmm

babeball
Main Eventer
Reaction score
As much as it looks that way, I can't believe that VKM was so content having NXT on the network for so long, knowing how strong his brand is and how he has the networks on a string, having the closest thing to appointment TV in 2019... I can't believe Vince didn't do this sooner, AEW or no.

I don't think Vince was ever really paying attention to NXT other than to see which superstars to bring up to the main roster. I think Vince purposefully let HHH have the reigns of NXT with little involvement at all because he wants HHH to gain the experience needed to take over the company.

But with the advent of AEW, the existence of NXT to combat it for viewers appeals to Vince.

Reactions: Snowman1

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
Ugh...

Look, i agree with you, but i also dissagree, in a way.

Should it be a war? no, no it shouldnt, AEW is minding their own buisness doing their own thing, they are just a alternative, giving fans more options, and WWE shouldnt even care, but WWE doesnt want anyone even close to their territory or position of power, and so they have turned this into a war, even if that war is a bit one sided, AEW isnt focusing on what WWE is doing, just on what they are doing, while WWE is doing everything it can to slow down and if at all possible kill AEW.

Should it be a war? no, but has WWE turned it into one? yes, yes they did.
Well...

I just want the AEW to do well & last at least a couple of years...
but if they don't...well...the world will keep turning.

I just hope all those highly critical of the WWE (like myself)
actually watch AEW...because if the AEW fails due to poor
ratings despite the product being solid..well...then those
highly critical fans have no one to blame but themselves.

I find it funny that the company I'm not allowed to talk about
has reacted the way they have...it almost feels "petty" in a way.

I mean the WWE really has nothing to truly fear...especially
considering all the money they have.

Reactions: bullyballmm

Jeffry Mason

Your Local Sports Team Sucks
Reaction score
AEW is minding their own buisness doing their own thing
AEW isnt focusing on what WWE is doing
lmao. AEW is FAR from doing their own thing and they are 200% focusing on what WWE is doing. They are openly taking shots at them at any chance they get. If anyone is minding their business and doing their own thing, at least in the public's eye, it's the WWE

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
lmao. AEW is FAR from doing their own thing and they are 200% focusing on what WWE is doing. They are openly taking shots at them at any chance they get. If anyone is minding their business and doing their own thing, at least in the public's eye, it's the WWE
Honestly...I don't care if the two companies want to "fling mud at each other"
I just want interesting stories that lead to good wrestling matches.

Jeffry Mason

Reaction score
Honestly...I don't care if the two companies want to "fling mud at each other"
I just want interesting stories that lead to good wrestling matches.
May I ask, and I don't mean this to come off so dickish, but I dont know how else to put it, so apologies in advance. If you are so confident that AEW will provide said interesting stories leading to good matches, then why choose now of all times to quit watching WWE? If AEW is really as good and as much of a threat as everyone is hyping it up to be, then surely WWE would be improving their matches and stories as well so as not to fall behind the "competition", no? We all know they certainly have people on their roster who are capable of performing outstandingly in both aspects.

Reactions: Grievous 3D

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
May I ask, and I don't mean this to come off so dickish, but I dont know how else to put it, so apologies in advance. If you are so confident that AEW will provide said interesting stories leading to good matches, then why choose now of all times to quit watching WWE? If AEW is really as good and as much of a threat as everyone is hyping it up to be, then surely WWE would be improving their matches and stories as well so as not to fall behind the "competition", no? We all know they certainly have people on their roster who are capable of performing outstandingly in both aspects.
You know, you said the same thing I have in my mind for the past couple of days. I will be truthful and say I would respond to this like a dick as I can see how this is dickish and I know if you "hate" for the Bucks and such, but I will not do such a thing. I personally began quit watching WWE because I got tired of it, got tired watching wrestlers I like to get nothing, and I have been more focused on Japanese Wrestling as a whole. Also, I do agree with you to some degree, if AEW starts doing well and builds stories better then I do think WWE will have to step up but at the same time, they may not due to having a loyal fanbase. So who knows. My biggest thing is that it seems like you can't like Wrestling as a whole no more. You are either WWE or AEW or IMPACT or MLW or whatever and that is it. I know that sounds somewhat funny coming from me a person who has bashed WWE but praised AEW, but I have gone back and watched their shows, or PPVs, and found things I didn't like or little misses here and there.

In all, I hope both AEW and WWE do well, even though I don't care for either company as a whole and only like certain wrestlers in them.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
ay I ask, and I don't mean this to come off so dickish, but I dont know how else to put it, so apologies in advance. If you are so confident that AEW will provide said interesting stories leading to good matches, then why choose now of all times to quit watching WWE? If AEW is really as good and as much of a threat as everyone is hyping it up to be, then surely WWE would be improving their matches and stories as well so as not to fall behind the "competition", no? We all know they certainly have people on their roster who are capable of performing outstandingly in both aspects.
I'm not really THAT confident in the AEW...BUT I have enjoyed every
show that they have put on so far so for me that's a good sign.

I don't personally consider the AEW a "threat" or "competition" its
an alternative...& I want to watch an alternative...and I find Impact...
well...kind of pathetic as far as their production values go...and the
current intergender wrestling focus is off putting as all hell for me
despite their women's roster having some incredible talent at the
moment.

I'm done with the WWE Jeff...

I may even stop watching NXT at this point...because I just can't
bring myself to care about ANYTHING WWE related.

In fact I haven't watched NXT for the last two weeks...and I haven't
missed it for one moment.

I don't want to watch it, talk about it or complain about the WWE
anymore...& I've been told my "complaining/ranting" about the
WWE is annoying some members on here so I'm just not going to
bother with it anymore. So I will probably just focus on the AEW
& hope it gives me the wrestling fix I want...

And if I don't get that "fix" from AEW...well...then I'm shit out of luck.

:idk3:

Jeffry Mason

Reaction score
You know, you said the same thing I have in my mind for the past couple of days. I will be truthful and say I would respond to this like a dick as I can see how this is dickish and I know if you "hate" for the Bucks and such, but I will not do such a thing. I personally began quit watching WWE because I got tired of it, got tired watching wrestlers I like to get nothing, and I have been more focused on Japanese Wrestling as a whole. Also, I do agree with you to some degree, if AEW starts doing well and builds stories better then I do think WWE will have to step up but at the same time, they may not due to having a loyal fanbase. So who knows. My biggest thing is that it seems like you can't like Wrestling as a whole no more. You are either WWE or AEW or IMPACT or MLW or whatever and that is it. I know that sounds somewhat funny coming from me a person who has bashed WWE but praised AEW, but I have gone back and watched their shows, or PPVs, and found things I didn't like or little misses here and there.

In all, I hope both AEW and WWE do well, even though I don't care for either company as a whole and only like certain wrestlers in them.
I believe that if AEW lives up to even a quarter of the hype it has both been given and given to itself, the WWE will have no choice but to step up what they are doing. I highly doubt they want to end up in another competitive ratings battle, especially if there is any chance they can lose. Personally, I like a lot of the current WWE product, but I do eventually want to see AEW beat them, just for one week, so that the product I prefer can step up their already good game and make it even better. Loyal fanbase or not, AEW is catering to the WWE fans just as much as they are the anti-WWE fans, no matter how much they might try to convince you otherwise, so there is bound to be at least interest shown from one side toward the other.

The thing about not being able to like wrestling as a whole is pretty accurate, though the same can be said about almost anything. The reason for this is that the diehard fans of either brand, whether it be Sony vs Microsoft, Apple vs Android, Marvel vs DC, WWE vs AEW, etc, tend to be the most vocal ones, whereas the people who enjoy both are usually on the quieter side, either because they want to stay away from the drama of the diehards, or they're too busy enjoying all the options, or whatever the case may be. I'll personally be watching both, and will remain as fair as I can be when forming my opinions, but at the same time, I also have my preference and loyalty so of course I'm gonna be leaning one direction a little further than the other. Also, I just like pushing people's buttons a lot of the times, so there's that too xD

I think one thing we can just about ALL agree on though is that AEW really, REALLY needs to step up its camera work. Whoever does the production on that makes Kevin Dunn look like goddamn Spielberg by comparison.

I'm not really THAT confident in the AEW...BUT I have enjoyed every
show that they have put on so far so for me that's a good sign.

I don't personally consider the AEW a "threat" or "competition" its
an alternative...& I want to watch an alternative...and I find Impact...
well...kind of pathetic as far as their production values go...and the
current intergender wrestling focus is off putting as all hell for me
despite their women's roster having some incredible talent at the
moment.

I'm done with the WWE Jeff...

I may even stop watching NXT at this point...because I just can't
bring myself to care about ANYTHING WWE related.

In fact I haven't watched NXT for the last two weeks...and I haven't
missed it for one moment.

I don't want to watch it, talk about it or complain about the WWE
anymore...& I've been told my "complaining/ranting" about the
WWE is annoying some members on here so I'm just not going to
bother with it anymore. So I will probably just focus on the AEW
& hope it gives me the wrestling fix I want...

And if I don't get that "fix" from AEW...well...then I'm shit out of luck.

:idk3:
I'm not sure why the intergender thing is offputting to you, but to each their own. There are other alternatives, I still sorta think you'd dig MLW, although maybe not because their production is about on par with Impact's. If only Lucha Underground would've kept going...

If you're not missing the WWE, then good for you I suppose. I guess I could have directed my question at pretty much any AEW fan, but I know most of them will continue watching WWE to at least some extent, whereas I know that you'll manage fine without it. I was in your shoes a few years ago, ask Reag or Beavs. Completely gave up on WWE as soon as Styles debuted. Didn't watch a single show of theirs, switched to watching all the alternatives available, and felt totally fine with my decision. And then I went through a time where those alternatives weren't available, so I finally switched back to WWE, and it comforted me, and I felt home again. And now I pretty much watch it all (Seth, I'm open to talking about how great Naomichi Marufuji is and always has been pretty much any day of the week xD).

Um, yeah... I completely lost where I was going with that story, but... I was just curious to hear your opinion of that, because it's been something I've been wondering for a while now. Especially with so many people talking about how good WWE finally having competition again will be. Seemed an odd time to stop watching, is all. Hope it all works out for you

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
I believe that if AEW lives up to even a quarter of the hype it has both been given and given to itself, the WWE will have no choice but to step up what they are doing. I highly doubt they want to end up in another competitive ratings battle, especially if there is any chance they can lose. Personally, I like a lot of the current WWE product, but I do eventually want to see AEW beat them, just for one week, so that the product I prefer can step up their already good game and make it even better. Loyal fanbase or not, AEW is catering to the WWE fans just as much as they are the anti-WWE fans, no matter how much they might try to convince you otherwise, so there is bound to be at least interest shown from one side toward the other.

The thing about not being able to like wrestling as a whole is pretty accurate, though the same can be said about almost anything. The reason for this is that the diehard fans of either brand, whether it be Sony vs Microsoft, Apple vs Android, Marvel vs DC, WWE vs AEW, etc, tend to be the most vocal ones, whereas the people who enjoy both are usually on the quieter side, either because they want to stay away from the drama of the diehards, or they're too busy enjoying all the options, or whatever the case may be. I'll personally be watching both, and will remain as fair as I can be when forming my opinions, but at the same time, I also have my preference and loyalty so of course I'm gonna be leaning one direction a little further than the other. Also, I just like pushing people's buttons a lot of the times, so there's that too xD

I think one thing we can just about ALL agree on though is that AEW really, REALLY needs to step up its camera work. Whoever does the production on that makes Kevin Dunn look like goddamn Spielberg by comparison.
I do agree. I think after a while WWE will have to set up and have to make improves, but that is just hope. I highly doubt it as well like you, but I wouldn't be surprising if they do. Hey, if you like what WWE is currently doing then fine that is cool, and yeah I agree I think if AEW beats them one or two weeks then WWE will then be forced to change and if you think it is for the better then great. I think AEW caters more towards the "Anti-WWE" crowd personally, but I can see where you coming from and I get it.

Oh, I know that my "liking something as a whole" is accurate to everything. Agreed, the die-hard fans of WWE, AEW, DC, Marvel, and so on due tend to be the more vocal group and the ones who like it as a whole tend to be quit, but I think that is because there is such thing as a middle ground no more. You are one or the other and that is it and if you are in the middle then both sides make you pick aside. Though I will give credit because I think a lot of them refuse to get in the middle of the Drama or are just like "fuck that, I am going to go binge MLW for 10 hours" because I fall into both categories. I have slowly been watching less and less of WWE, I still watch NXT/NXT UK, for now, and as far as RAW and Smackdown I just watch the parts I want and that is it. As far as AEW goes I will give a couple of weeks or so, and if it doesn't get my interest I may treat it like WWE as I am not loyal to either company. Though if we were talking Japanese promotions I will be boned XD

I do highly agree with you. AEW does need to work their production and I wouldn't go that far, but that compression is funny as hell.
(Seth, I'm open to talking about how great Naomichi Marufuji is and always has been pretty much any day of the week xD)
Marufuji is great.

bullyballmm

babeball
Main Eventer
Reaction score
Completely gave up on WWE as soon as Styles debuted.

How dare you.

@Grievous II I really think you should just watch the draft episodes so you can actually determine for yourself (show reviews don't tell the whole story) if the WWE has improved enough for you to get back into it (and to get an idea of what direction they will take Charlotte).

If you enjoy it, great. If he don't, great. You can just ignore the WWE until the next time they feel a full-blown draft is necessary to reset the product.

This is just a suggestion. Please don't have a go at me for "telling you what to do"

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
Hope it all works out for you
Thanks Jeff...

:thumbsup:

Grievous II I really think you should just watch the draft episodes so you can actually determine for yourself (show reviews don't tell the whole story) if the WWE has improved enough for you to get back into it (and to get an idea of what direction they will take Charlotte).

If you enjoy it, great. If he don't, great. You can just ignore the WWE until the next time they feel a full-blown draft is necessary to reset the product.

This is just a suggestion. Please don't have a go at me for "telling you what to do"
No...

I think I'll pass.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Ugh...

This is not a War...

The WWE have already won...

AEW is an alternative not true competition...

I will be watching AEW & NXT...

That is all.

During the Monday Night War, I always watched both shows. I watched WWF first because WCW always replayed right after. It really was the greatest time I have ever had. Mondays were pure joy.

I have to disagree about it not being a war, though. NXT fans are the type of fans who will also like AEW. Vince didn't put Smackdown or another main roster show to run against AEW. He picked the product that was most like AEW.

The Monday Night War was good for both companies. It increased the ratings of both shows. It brought in new fans. I think that looking at this as a war, but not a war to destroy your opponent is the right way to look at it. It will be like the Monday Night War because both shows are going to do their best to be the best show in that time slot. Both shows are going to have to do their best. I think we are on the verge of a grand moment in wresting history.

Jeffry Mason

Reaction score
During the Monday Night War, I always watched both shows. I watched WWF first because WCW always replayed right after. It really was the greatest time I have ever had. Mondays were pure joy.

I have to disagree about it not being a war, though. NXT fans are the type of fans who will also like AEW. Vince didn't put Smackdown or another main roster show to run against AEW. He picked the product that was most like AEW.

The Monday Night War was good for both companies. It increased the ratings of both shows. It brought in new fans. I think that looking at this as a war, but not a war to destroy your opponent is the right way to look at it. It will be like the Monday Night War because both shows are going to do their best to be the best show in that time slot. I think we are on the verge of a grand moment in wresting history.
Even knowing I could catch the replay right after, I watched Nitro live as a #TeamWCW diehard and just taped Raw to watch the next day. I always loved that Nitro replayed afterward, though I always thought it was an odd move. It was like asking for people to watch Raw live. IDK how NXT will be going forward as far as the Network is concerned, but I feel like a lot of people will be watching AEW live (well, Americans at least xD) since they know they can just catch NXT on the Network any time. If anything, I feel like this will be the only major edge AEW will have over NXT as far as live viewership.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Even knowing I could catch the replay right after, I watched Nitro live as a #TeamWCW diehard and just taped Raw to watch the next day. I always loved that Nitro replayed afterward, though I always thought it was an odd move. It was like asking for people to watch Raw live.

What is even stranger is even though they replayed it, Nitro still destroyed Raw for those 82 weeks.

Jeffry Mason

Reaction score
What is even stranger is even though they replayed it, Nitro still destroyed Raw for those 82 weeks.
This is very true. Though from what I remember, a lot of people didn't even know there was a replay to begin with, which I find pretty easy to believe, especially since in those days all we had was that slow moving channel that only showed hour and a half blocks for like, 3 channels at a time