The Wednesday Night War

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
"War, War never changes" - Fallout Games

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
I have to disagree about it not being a war
But in another thread (I can't remember which one) you agreed
with me that isn't a "true" war like the WWE/WCW war because
of the advancement of technology & the WWE Network means
that those that want to watch both have easier means to do so.

I don't get it...

I am I remembering that conversation differently?

Also...ratings or not...NXT is never going to fail because it has
"all the money in the world" behind it...where as poor ratings
would probably kill "Wednesday Night Dynamite" eventually.

I think we are on the verge of a grand moment in wresting history.
You're a more optimistic man that me.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
But in another thread (I can't remember which one) you agreed
with me that isn't a "true" war like the WWE/WCW war because
of the advancement of technology & the WWE Network means
that those that want to watch both have easier means to do so.

I don't get it...

I am I remembering that conversation differently?

Also...ratings or not...NXT is never going to fail because it has
"all the money in the world" behind it...where as poor ratings
would probably kill "Wednesday Night Dynamite" eventually.

You're a more optimistic man that me.

No you are not remembering it differently. I guess I didn't phrase myself correctly in my previous post. No, it's not a real war like the Monday Night War. Bischoff WANTED to put WWF out of business. There isn't going to be fighting between AEW and NXT.

But i still think it will have some elements of the war. And what I mean is that running the shows at the same time will challenge each company to put out a better product. Each show will try to be the better show and that's really what I am thinking,

I don't expect any fighting and I don't expect them to really even acknowledge each other. So it's not animosity war. But I think from a fan's perspective, there are good elements of the war that will also display here.

And it's fun to see it as the Wednesday Night War. It's nostalgic and breathes new life into it.

But yeah, it's not a real war. But who knows what will happen?

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
But who knows what will happen?
Easy the wrestling community as a whole becomes more toxic and less fun to talk about wrestling unless you are on one side or the other.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
No you are not remembering it differently. I guess I didn't phrase myself correctly in my previous post. No, it's not a real war like the Monday Night War. Bischoff WANTED to put WWF out of business. There isn't going to be fighting between AEW and NXT.

But i still think it will have some elements of the war. And what I mean is that running the shows at the same time will challenge each company to put out a better product. Each show will try to be the better show and that's really what I am thinking,

I don't expect any fighting and I don't expect them to really even acknowledge each other. So it's not animosity war. But I think from a fan's perspective, there are good elements of the war that will also display here.

And it's fun to see it as the Wednesday Night War. It's nostalgic and breathes new life into it.

But yeah, it's not a real war. But who knows what will happen?
Fair call...

Frankly I just want the AEW to start already!

I want to watch some wrestling that doesn't make me angry & resentful.

Easy the wrestling community as a whole becomes more toxic and less fun to talk about wrestling unless you are on one side or the other.
I don't l know man...

I'm all for the WWE fans watching the WWE if it makes them happy...
I just know I won't be watching or commenting on any of it...well
except if Rollins pins the Fiend at Hell in a Cell...then I will gladly,
proudly, loudly & publicly laugh at EVERYONE.

Think Goldberg squashing Le$nar times a hundred.

?

I better get all those boxes of tissues ready to hand out again just
in case the WWE decide to ruin something special AGAIN.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score

I am not sure if it will. I mean, the NXT audience and the AEW audience are not the typical WWE audience. I don't think most fans will take a side in this. I think most will enjoy both.

Reactions: Grievous 3D

Jeffry Mason

Your Local Sports Team Sucks
Reaction score
I am not sure if it will. I mean, the NXT audience and the AEW audience are not the typical WWE audience. I don't think most fans will take a side in this. I think most will enjoy both.
Idk man. To paraphrase a quote from The Mist: "As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another. Why do you think we invented politics and wrestling?" It's really just human nature to pick favorites, even if it's subconsciously or unspoken. It doesn't necessarily mean the community is gonna be toxic (or at least any more than it already is), but i definitely see there being a big divide in the fans, even the people who will watch both

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
Idk man. To paraphrase a quote from The Mist: "As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another. Why do you think we invented politics and wrestling?" It's really just human nature to pick favorites, even if it's subconsciously or unspoken. It doesn't necessarily mean the community is gonna be toxic (or at least any more than it already is), but i definitely see there being a big divide in the fans, even the people who will watch both
Good reference...I love that film...

Did you guys know it was originally meant to be released in black & white?

Anyway...

Well...if we are picking sides...I've already picked AEW as its fresh, new &
not connected to the WWE in any way.

Now granted I will still watch NXT (I think? I'm 3 weeks behind at the moment)
but I'm not going to start "flinging shit" at those who prefer NXT.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
I disagree. Fans will take a side either due to loyalty or pressure. I am not talking about NXT v AEW, I am talking about WWE v AEW. I am sure a lot of NXT fans will watch it and AEW and enjoy both, but the Pro-WWE side and the Anti-WWE will make them pick one or the other. You are either one or the other for there is no middle ground, especially in the wrestling community. If you say something good about WWE the Anti-WWE side basically calls you a sheep and if you say something bad about WWE then the Pro-WWE will call you sheep and such. Get what I am saying?

At one time you could enjoy WWE, Impact, RoH, CZW, Chikara, IWA-Midsouth, Evolve, New Japan, All Japan, NOAH, Dragon Gate USA, Dragon Gate Japan, CMLL, AAA, and what other promotions there were and everyone was like okay cool, but now...man you have to be on a side and if you chose to be in the middle then you are either made or just ignored. Trust me, some people I talk to on Discord barely talk to me about Wrestling because I am not 100% on the AEW Hype train and flipping WWE the bird and throwing Superkick parties, and on the flip side there some that do the same thing because I am not like Screw AEW and saying they are just a bunch of losers and such.

In all, I just want people to be able to talk about Wrestling as a whole without it getting in an argument of childish bickering or insults or other dumb shit. I would love to get on Reddit, Twitter, or on here and see people discussing WWE, AEW, and so on in a proper manner. If a person doesn't like something they shouldn't be made fun of or ridiculed about it. I don't know maybe what I am wishing is a pipe dream, and if none of this makes sense then I am sorry as I am a moron when it comes to explaining shit.

InsaneAlphaBeta

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
@Grievous II @Jeffry Fucking Mason @Seto-san @baseballmm @JacobFox

I would just like to point out....that for some, particuler reason..ive not been getting notifications from this thread..so as far as i knew nobody had responded to this in ages...

Welp..i got some chatching up to do...so...bare with me LOL as i try and respond to...ALOT of stuff ?
[automerge]1569644987[/automerge]
Alrighty...here we go

lmao. AEW is FAR from doing their own thing and they are 200% focusing on what WWE is doing. They are openly taking shots at them at any chance they get. If anyone is minding their business and doing their own thing, at least in the public's eye, it's the WWE
Yes they have taken shots at WWE a few times, but not nearly to the extent that WWE has in terms of decisions made directly against AEW, when AEW Dynamite begins October 2nd, thats when AEW will in theory go ahead with their mindset of "We need to focus on ourselves and not them" as Chris Jericho and Tony Khan have said multiple times, even the young bucks have spoken about not worrying about them.

Thus far its mainly been WWE on the offensive in terms of decisions, NXt takeover Cardiff being the same day as All Out, putting NXT on USA Network to syphon viewers from AEW< not letting superstars leave and convicneing them to stay, leaving many to believe like Dave Meltzer and Jericho that, everyone there now will remain there and if they can WWE wont let anyone go out of fear of them joining AEW.

if AEW are smart, once TV begisn they wont focus on WWE, they say thats their mindset, we will have to wait and see if it holds true.

I believe that if AEW lives up to even a quarter of the hype it has both been given and given to itself, the WWE will have no choice but to step up what they are doing. I highly doubt they want to end up in another competitive ratings battle, especially if there is any chance they can lose. Personally, I like a lot of the current WWE product, but I do eventually want to see AEW beat them, just for one week, so that the product I prefer can step up their already good game and make it even better. Loyal fanbase or not, AEW is catering to the WWE fans just as much as they are the anti-WWE fans, no matter how much they might try to convince you otherwise, so there is bound to be at least interest shown from one side toward the other.

But here is the thing about that, so many people, includeing people like Meltzer who has worked for and knows Vince Mcmahon well, knows and has said that, if NXT loses in the rateings against AEW, Vince will surely step in and change NXT to try and fix that because no way does vince wanna lsoe in rateings, and if that happens the product is NOT gonna get better, its going to get worse, and with NXTs viewership already dropping 14% (from 1.179 million viewers on the debut episode to 1.006 million, barely even staying above 1 million) i have a feeling AEW is gonna just destroy NXT in the rateings as NXT si already established so AEWs first show being that, its first show is gonna cripple the NXt rateings and they will soar ahead, which in turn causes Vince to get his hands on NXT and screw with Triple Hs baby, which we can all agree is worst case scenario, if that happens its like a form of suicide, fans love NXT BECAUSE of how unique and different it is, if it become slike Raw or Smackdown, its gonna die VERY quickly.

@Grievous II I really think you should just watch the draft episodes so you can actually determine for yourself (show reviews don't tell the whole story) if the WWE has improved enough for you to get back into it (and to get an idea of what direction they will take Charlotte).

If you enjoy it, great. If he don't, great. You can just ignore the WWE until the next time they feel a full-blown draft is necessary to reset the product.

This is just a suggestion. Please don't have a go at me for "telling you what to do"
Nah silly! Grievous doesnt need to watch the show! afteral there is a recap of the show right her eon this forum i hear is quite a lovely read that recaps the show in detail ?

Last edited:
  • Haha

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I disagree. Fans will take a side either due to loyalty or pressure. I am not talking about NXT v AEW, I am talking about WWE v AEW. I am sure a lot of NXT fans will watch it and AEW and enjoy both, but the Pro-WWE side and the Anti-WWE will make them pick one or the other. You are either one or the other for there is no middle ground, especially in the wrestling community. If you say something good about WWE the Anti-WWE side basically calls you a sheep and if you say something bad about WWE then the Pro-WWE will call you sheep and such. Get what I am saying?

At one time you could enjoy WWE, Impact, RoH, CZW, Chikara, IWA-Midsouth, Evolve, New Japan, All Japan, NOAH, Dragon Gate USA, Dragon Gate Japan, CMLL, AAA, and what other promotions there were and everyone was like okay cool, but now...man you have to be on a side and if you chose to be in the middle then you are either made or just ignored. Trust me, some people I talk to on Discord barely talk to me about Wrestling because I am not 100% on the AEW Hype train and flipping WWE the bird and throwing Superkick parties, and on the flip side there some that do the same thing because I am not like Screw AEW and saying they are just a bunch of losers and such.

In all, I just want people to be able to talk about Wrestling as a whole without it getting in an argument of childish bickering or insults or other dumb shit. I would love to get on Reddit, Twitter, or on here and see people discussing WWE, AEW, and so on in a proper manner. If a person doesn't like something they shouldn't be made fun of or ridiculed about it. I don't know maybe what I am wishing is a pipe dream, and if none of this makes sense then I am sorry as I am a moron when it comes to explaining shit.

I think a lot of us here have pretty good discourse. I mean there is some bickering but it happens.

I am probably being too optimistic but it feels good so I am going with it. It's probably the gabapentin.

• Haha
Reactions: Jeffry Mason

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
I think a lot of us here have pretty good discourse. I mean there is some bickering but it happens.

I am probably being too optimistic but it feels good so I am going with it. It's probably the gabapentin.
Eh, that is up for debate.

I am all for being optimistic, but being foolish optimistic is another thing. Maybe, but who knows.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
I would just like to point out....that for some, particuler reason..ive not been getting notifications from this thread..so as far as i knew nobody had responded to this in ages...

Welp..i got some chatching up to do...so...bare with me LOL as i try and respond to...ALOT of stuff
Not good enough Alpha...

Nah silly! Grievous doesn't need to watch the show! after all there is a recap of the show right here on this forum. I hear is quite a lovely read that recaps the show in detail
Yeah...but didn't you know that reading recaps isn't enough Alpha?

To truly enjoy (& comment on) the WWE you have to sit through
every mind numbing, Rusev burying, cringe inducing second.

Its why I'm currently ignoring any & all WWE related "content" on
the forum. I don't have the right to make any comments or voice
my opinions without watching the product before hand.

And as much as I enjoy reading your recaps & pointing out how
flawed & stupid the WWE main roster is...I don't wish to upset
any other "overly sensitive" members of this fine forum...even if
I'm joking 95% of the time & have been awarded the "Ranter" &
Jokester" trophies in the past for doing just that.

InsaneAlphaBeta

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Not good enough Alpha...

Yeah...but didn't you know that reading recaps isn't enough Alpha?

To truly enjoy (& comment on) the WWE you have to sit through
every mind numbing, Rusev burying, cringe inducing second.

Its why I'm currently ignoring any & all WWE related "content" on
the forum. I don't have the right to make any comments or voice
my opinions without watching the product before hand.

And as much as I enjoy reading your recaps & pointing out how
flawed & stupid the WWE main roster is...I don't wish to upset
any other "overly sensitive" members of this fine forum...even if
I'm joking 95% of the time & have been awarded the "Ranter" &
Jokester" trophies in the past for doing just that.
Well in that case you can just read the AEW recaps :p