• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Return of Unpopular Wrestling Opinions

Swamps

Space Cowboy
I thought the same thing, AJPW Triple Crown as well :lmao I guess they really didn't acknowledge Japanese wrestling until Okada/Omega if you go by their awards so it's not too big of a surprise though.

Which is sad because of all the great matches in Japan.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Which is sad because of all the great matches in Japan.

Since I went through the PWI Awards for my review thread, I'm like 90% sure the first Japan award they gave was for Okada/Omega MOTY in 2017 and I think Bucks won tag team of the year that year as well. I think some Japanese people were on the ballot for various things in other years but never won any.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Hogan was a better worker than Cena. Cena was better when it came to basic moves. But Hogan was better at working the crowd and had better timing and selling. Also Hulk's promos were better outside of the odd gem from Cena.

The Billy and Chuck wedding segment was one of the most entertaining segments on either raw or SD.

Summerslam 91 is one of the best Summerslams ever despite the crappy Match made in Hell main event. It just had a bit of everything and was very entertaining.

The Michael Wallstreet character in WCW was genus and ahead of its time.

Slick was a cool manager despite how racist the character was.

Stephanie was a really good GM and I enjoyed the feud with her and Bischoff.

Swamps

Space Cowboy
Since I went through the PWI Awards for my review thread, I'm like 90% sure the first Japan award they gave was for Okada/Omega MOTY in 2017 and I think Bucks won tag team of the year that year as well. I think some Japanese people were on the ballot for various things in other years but never won any.

Yeah, piss on the Misawa vs Kobashi matches. Henson vs Vader too. Or Great Muta vs anyone really. Omega couldn't place any of those legends boots.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Hogan acted more like a heel when he was a face (just ask the OSW boys) and more like face when he was a heel
;)

Piper was overrated. His WWF face character at times was annoying.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Piper was an excellent promo but he never really stayed in the WWF long enough to do much of note. Many of his feuds were never blown off due to his frequent comings and goings, Rick Rude and Bad News in particular.

During one of his many returns in the mid 90s, they suddenly started giving him the legend and "one of the all-time greats" treatment. This is kind of where they lost me on Piper.

I don't really disagree with you on his feuds being blown off and him having some start and stop momentum, but I don't think he got that legend treatment as late as you say. I think it started about the time he returned at WrestleMania V as a face or maybe even at WrestleMania III

Deezy

DZ PZ
Hogan is one of the greatest workers of all time....and when I use the term "worker". I use it in its right context.

Brock Lesnar proved himself to be an even better worker.

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
I liked the "magic WWE Hall of Fame Rings" storyline in TNA. Don't get me wrong, objectively it was terrible. But we got things like Abyss being a monster again rather than a pathetic loser (and coming out to American Made!), and Jay Lethal and Ric Flair trying to out-woo each other. That is entertainment.