The Return of Unpopular Wrestling Opinions

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Old School

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
andre
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Sports Team
detroitlions
Favorite Sports Team
detroitpistons
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
The truth is probably in the middle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The truth is always in the middle, with pro wrestlers. Example: Watch Arn's shoot, when he talks about the incident with Sid and the scissors. Then watch Sid's. Arn blames Sid. Sid blames Arn. The only thing they agree on? There was a fight, and scissors were involved.

Reactions: Chris

Old School

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
andre
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Sports Team
detroitlions
Favorite Sports Team
detroitpistons
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Same with Orndorff and Vader.

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Then he probably missed that one botched punch on Dynamite a few weeks back. Whew lad that was pathetic. :cenalol

True. Glad they turned that into a story and had the guy kicked out of the group cause that was weak sauce.

Old School

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
andre
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Sports Team
detroitlions
Favorite Sports Team
detroitpistons
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Another unpopular opinion:
Sid Vicious is in the conversation for one of the top 10 of all time. He is considered a joke however the man was a multiple time WWF and WCW champion, he main evented 2 WrestleManias (and was involved in another WM main event as a bodyguard) and was pretty much over wherever he went.

This is all unfairly undermined by the fact that he maybe liked softball a little too much and would prioritize it over his wrestling career.

Despite all of his accomplishments, he not only isn't in the hall of fame but he isn't even considered worthy of the honor by most people.
I don't know about top ten, but certainly HoF. I mean, I wouldn't side eye someone, if they mentioned him for top ten, but don't believe he'd ever make it. I think there are far to many locks. I can think of 6, off the top of my head.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Sid is an obvious Hall of Fame talent. I wouldn't go as far as to say he's in the top 10 conversation but I definitely feel you as far him being underrated and not taken seriously.

Reactions: Old School

Old School

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
andre
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Sports Team
detroitlions
Favorite Sports Team
detroitpistons
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Sid is an obvious Hall of Fame talent. I wouldn't go as far as to say he's in the top 10 conversation but I definitely feel you as far him being underrated and not taken seriously.
Like he said, his love of softball works against him. And his promos. Is there any one who stumbled that bad, over a promo? When he was on, it was ok/good. But man...........Did that dude botch some shit, at times.

Swamps

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
ceaRtck
Like he said, his love of softball works against him. And his promos. Is there any one who stumbled that bad, over a promo? When he was on, it was ok/good. But man...........Did that dude botch some shit, at times.

He did but damn do they still stand up!

"I have half the brain you do!"

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I believe the two go hand in hand to an extent. I bet you were mildly surprised when you realized he main evented 2 (or 3?) Wrestlemanias and he was a multi time WWF and WCW champion. I know I was surprised when I first came to that realization.

Other than Hogan and Savage, I honestly can't think of anyone else off the top of my head who have those credentials. That is pretty exclusive company however Sid definitely gets glossed over which is why he is not a believable top 10. It just goes to show us how truly interesting of a topic this is
Well, sorta. It really "dawned on me" so to speak a couple of years ago but still... as nice as those credentials are I don't think it's enough to propel him into top 10 territory. But when it comes to this kind of stuff, everyone usually has their own criteria.

Swamps

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
ceaRtck
Its really difficult to determine a top 10 list based on the change of styles over the years. I'm more of a fan of the AWA and JCP era style of wrestling. So I would be more likely to have Arn, Flair, Magnum, Steamboat, and Austin in my top 10. Someone more of a fan of CZW and ECW would have Necro, Foley, Sandman (Hyperbole but you get the hint).

Even five star Dave has a bias towards NJPW. He may give a match higher ratings based on promotion alone.

By the way, Steamboat, who excelled in NWA, really got shit on in both his WWE runs. I feel if he had a better run in WWE, he would get more of top 10 discussion. The one match with Savage is what most fans talk about. However, his work with Flair is legendary. His feuds with Rude and Austin were amazing. I just wish we could have gotten a Vader vs Steamboat fued for the WCW or even US title.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Its really difficult to determine a top 10 list based on the change of styles over the years. I'm more of a fan of the AWA and JCP era style of wrestling. So I would be more likely to have Arn, Flair, Magnum, Steamboat, and Austin in my top 10. Someone more of a fan of CZW and ECW would have Necro, Foley, Sandman (Hyperbole but you get the hint).

Even five star Dave has a bias towards NJPW. He may give a match higher ratings based on promotion alone.

By the way, Steamboat, who excelled in NWA, really got shit on in both his WWE runs. I feel if he had a better run in WWE, he would get more of top 10 discussion. The one match with Savage is what most fans talk about. However, his work with Flair is legendary. His feuds with Rude and Austin were amazing. I just wish we could have gotten a Vader vs Steamboat fued for the WCW or even US title.

This is one of the most quality posts you've ever made :WOW

Reactions: Swamps

Old School

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
andre
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Sports Team
detroitlions
Favorite Sports Team
detroitpistons
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6

This is certainly true, but how much of his WWE runs were because he was so damn vanilla, and bland on the mic? New York has always been talk and charisma first, work rate, second. At least since Vince has owned it. Look at Piper. That guy barely wrestled. He talked people in, got DQ'ed, and went home with a big grin and pay check. And he's one of my all time favorites. But the guy wasn't some in ring technician. Hell, Jesse Ventura made a short career out of working the crowd and not actually working.

Reactions: Swamps

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned (I may have missed someone say this already), but, Vince being a bitch because Steamboat wanted to take time off for his baby was the beginning of Steamboat being shit on in the WWF. It's really sad because Steamboat was amazing, even when he was coming back on the classic Raw editions, to wrestle. He never lost a step as he aged. A true talent. I can't be too mad because he dropped the belt to Honky Tonk Man, and I think most here know now that he's my second favorite wrestler :hayden3

Swamps

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
ceaRtck
Not sure if this has been mentioned (I may have missed someone say this already), but, Vince being a bitch because Steamboat wanted to take time off for his baby was the beginning of Steamboat being shit on in the WWF. It's really sad because Steamboat was amazing, even when he was coming back on the classic Raw editions, to wrestle. He never lost a step as he aged. A true talent. I can't be too mad because he dropped the belt to Honky Tonk Man, and I think most here know now that he's my second favorite wrestler :hayden3

Yeah Steamboat was very family oriented. Flair talked about it in his book.

Reactions: Vegeta and Chris