The Mad Lies of Hulk Hogan

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
How about in 2005 when Hogan and HBK were supposed to have two matches, Hogan would win the first one, and Douche the second one, Hogan was up for it until few days before SummerSlam when he claimed to have a severe back injury so that would be his last match. Hence HBK's overselling in the match, he knew what was happening.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
"After WrestleMania II, John Belushi came out drinking with us in LA, but he couldn't keep up with us, so we kicked him out"
(Belushi had been dead four years at this point)

"I was supposed to be the lead actor in "The Wrestler", but I turned down the role, and they gave it to Mickey Rourke"
(Darren Aronofsky has actually come out and said that Hulk is talking shit, as the only other actor even considered for the role was Nicolas Cage. Hogan has also said he has turned down the lead role in "The Highlander" as well as a role in Robin Hood: Men in Tights)

"I actually killed Antonio Inoki in the ring, but they brought him back to life with CPR. I couldn't leave Japan for a while, because the fans and the Japanese Mafia wanted to have me killed because Inoki is so well loved over there!"
Inoki wasn't even close to dying. Inoki had to take time off, so they ran an injury angle to write him out of events until he was ready to come back

"It was actually my idea for the WWF to start releasing merchandise"
It wasn't

"I had this idea about having entrance music, we did it, and was the first guy ever to have his own entrance music"
He wasn't

"I met a sick kid in a British hospital in 1992, I invited him to watch me in the main event at SummerSlam at Wembley Stadium, when I looked out into the crowd, the seat was empty, and I knew that he had died, that's why I wrote "Hulkster in Heaven"."
(Wow, this is a big one, for starters, Hogan has NEVER wrestled in Wembley Stadium, or Wembley Arena at the time. More importantly, he wasn't actually in the WWF at the time, however, "Hulkster in Heaven" is a real song, they could make a "How Did This Get Made" episode just on the song)

"I was in a charity "Boxer vs. Wrestler" fight with George Foreman, and I hung in with him, he even hit me with a shot that made my legs go numb"
(There's absolutely ZERO evidence that this "charity fight" ever took place, none whatsoever.)
What is the source for any of this? I seriously doubt he is saying half of this shit

I think Hogan's lies have become a big fable to the IWC... much like say.. Nash's quad injuries..

Fun fact of the day: Nash has only torn his quad one time.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
What is the source for any of this? I seriously doubt he is saying half of this shit

I think Hogan's lies have become a big fable to the IWC... much like say.. Nash's quad injuries..

Fun fact of the day: Nash has only torn his quad one time.
Hogan mentioned most of this stuff in his book from 2002.

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
Yep, there are some over-exeggerated things out there, but at least 90% is true. Various interviews, TV appearances, etc.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
@Jacob Fox Don't concern yourself with being too argumentative. It's what we do around these parts.
For the record, I've waiting for Jacob Fox and @Lockard23 to debate. You two seem to have similar temperaments and posting style.
Jacob Fox, Lockard and WacoKid are the only cats on here who type readable lengthy diatribes.

Isn't wrestling a lie, anyway? If wrestling were real, people would be dead (sooner). I enjoy the lie since I don't exactly expect it to be true anyway.

Reactions: Jacob Fox

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Hogan's next book should be called 'The Truth Is... I Lied About Everything' :happy:

• Haha
Reactions: Red Rain

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Here's one I love. Hulk Hogan claimed to support President Obama but changed his mind down the road. Now, this has nothing to do with politics and I couldn't care less who Hogan supports.

What is amusing is that Hogan says he is upset at the president for using the "Real American" theme without getting Hogan's permission first. Hogan was working for TNA at the time and we all know his permission would have been worthless since WWE owns the theme, which was written by Rick Derringer originally for the US Express. Hogan has no creative claims nor legal claims to the theme.

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/entry/view/id/145026

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Here's one I love. Hulk Hogan claimed to support President Obama but changed his mind down the road. Now, this has nothing to do with politics and I couldn't care less who Hogan supports.

What is amusing is that Hogan says he is upset at the president for using the "Real American" theme without getting Hogan's permission first. Hogan was working for TNA at the time and we all know his permission would have been worthless since WWE owns the theme, which was written by Rick Derringer originally for the US Express. Hogan has no creative claims nor legal claims to the theme.

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/entry/view/id/145026

The Hulkster lies so much that I wouldn't be surprised if he believed in his own lies. Oh wait, he does...:dawg:

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I wasn't watching WCW during it's latter and terrible run at the end of the Monday Night Wars. But today I was watching the newest Monday Night Wars documentary which focused a lot on Vince Russo's tenure as head of WCW creative. For his match with Jeff Jarret in the final Bash at the Beach, apparently there was a big disagreement about who would win the world title between Jeff Jarrett and Hogan.

Now, it's hard for me to believe either Hogan or Russo, because they are both so regularly full of crap. But what made me laugh is that Russo claimed the story for the match was supposed to make Hogan look great, but he didn't win the title. Hogan overrode that decision with his creative control clause.

What makes me laugh is that Hogan claims that this was the first time he had ever exercised his creative control clause. That's an outright lie based on his own autobiography. Hogan, according to himself, exercised his creative control clause one month after his first WCW match. The idea was that Hogan would beat Flair for the belt at Bash at the Beach, lose the title back to Flair at Clash of the Champions and then finally win it back at Halloween Havoc. Hogan's own book says that he used his creative control to veto the title loss at Clash of the Champions. Furthermore, in another of the Monday Night War episodes, Hogan claims that it was his creative control clause that allowed Goldberg to beat him for the WCW title.

I am beginning to wonder if it would have been a smaller thread if you made it titled: The Few Truths of Hulk Hogan.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I think, in his book, he claimed that Ric Flair liked to party. That may have been true, Jack.

• Haha
Reactions: Bort

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
We he went to TNA, Hogan claimed that Vince McMahon inherited the WWF from Vince SR upon his father's death and had no idea how to run it. So, per Hogan, he moved to Connecticut and taught Vince how to lift weights and run his company. Vince in reality purchased the then WWWF and had been working out long before he even met Hogan.

Another is his claim that he slammed Andre the Giant at Wrestlemania III against the Giant's will. Both Bobby Heenan and Joey Marella have stated that Andre instructed Hogan to slam him.

Hogan claims he discovered the Undertaker during the filming of "Suburban Commando" and then got him interested in wrestling. Mark Callous was wrestling before he met Hogan.
Hulk did meet Undertaker on the set of Suburban Commando, and he got him recommended to the WWF so it might be true. But worded wrong.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Hulk did meet Undertaker on the set of Suburban Commando, and he got him recommended to the WWF so it might be true. But worded wrong.

The problem with that is that Hulk Hogan mentions in his own biography that he introduced Undertaker to McMahon in 1991, after the production of "Suburban Commando." In fact, Undertaker signed with WWF in October of 1990. I have been unable to find any production dates for "Suburban Commando," other than Hogan himself, who claims it was produced in 1991. Hogan's own claims contradict what he said. However, as the movie was released in late spring of 1991, I could understand that Hogan was likely incorrect about the production times.

Even if Hogan was incorrect, I have never believed this story. The only source for Hogan introducing Mark Calaway to Vince McMahon is Hogan himself. I have never seen a single other person support it. In the "This is My Yard" documentary, Undertaker says he was recruited directly by Vince and there is absolutely no mention of Hulk Hogan at all. If I am not mistaken, Mark said that he received a call from Vince McMahon and he didn't believe it was really McMahon. Unfortunately my documentary is in a storage area at the moment so I can't fact check with it.

I know the WWE documentaries are not always factual, but Hogan lacks any serious credibility and I tend to believe that his claim is an absolute lie as absolutely no one other than him has supported the claim. Hogan has an extremely long history of taking credit for things that he has no right to take credit for, so I personally cannot give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

And please don't think I am saying you're wrong, just that Hogan's claim is not credible in my view.

Last edited:

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Caveat: I am not trying to prove or disprove anything anyone on the site said. I actually have to thank Tsar for getting my interest up concerning this topic because I have developed a desire to research this.

After discussing this, I really got very interested in who exactly brought the Undertaker to WWF and who came up with the gimmick. There appears to be quite a few different stories revolving. I personally believe Sgt Slaughter's version simply because it fits with Undertaker's comments in "This is my Yard." Slaughter claims to have had a tape of Mark Calloway's matches, suggested it to Vince and had Vince call Mark up. That fits with Mark saying that he got a call from Vince and didn't believe it was Vince.

I went to Hogan's book and looked up the part where he mentions the Undertaker. Hogan claims to have cast Undertaker in the "Suburban Commando" movie :

"All of a sudden I thought of this guy named "Mean" Mark Calloway, a six foot-ten wrestler who I had seen working for WCW. I said, "This guy would be great." So I called him and brought him down to do the movie."

So here, Hogan's claim is not that he met Undertaker on the set, but that he cast Undertaker in the role. But, I have actually seen video interviews as well with Hogan where he claims they met on he set, which I know is the most known version.

Hogan goes on to claim that this is how the Undertaker gimmick was created:

So as soon as I could, I left the movie set and brought Mark Calloway to see Vince McMahon. Vince looked at the guy for about five minutes and said, "Okay, we'll call him Undertaker."

After doing a little digging, it seems actually that Sgt Slaughter also claims to be the one who suggested Mark Calloway to Vince McMahon (http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...1_dolph-ziggler-wwe-championship-daniel-bryan). Slaughter claims that "Paul Bearer" was the original name for the Undertaker, but the decided against it because Mark didn't look like a "Paul Bearer." I don't know whether this is true or not, but Slaughter's story is more believable than Hogan's IMO.

There are also some other people who take credit for both Calloway and the character. I would think at this point that the only person who might really be able to offer the correct information is Taker himself. However I am pretty fascinated by this.