The Following #Carrolism

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dod Draper

Reaction score
Re: The Following

You guys have convinced me to check this show out.... always been a fan of Bacon (the food and the actor)... one question, My wife will not watch any kind of Horror movie or anything with a lot of onscreen violence.. Is this a show she could watch or not?? To me it kinda looked right on the edge of what she'll watch..

There's a few gory moments. Definitely watch it yourself though.

Reaction score

Agree with Dod, the gore/violence for anyone who is squeamish or doesn't care for that will most likely not want to see this show. I would say as far as the gore/violence goes it's a tad bit more intense than Dexter.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score

Agree with Dod, the gore/violence for anyone who is squeamish or doesn't care for that will most likely not want to see this show. I would say as far as the gore/violence goes it's a tad bit more intense than Dexter.

ahhh, Dexter (my favorite show) is really right on the line for her so if this is a little more she probably won't want to watch..... thanks for the input!

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2

I don't know that I'd say its gorier but it's definitely more suspense for which ups the violence when you do see it. They also use a lot of horror movie tactics false scares intense music and the like.

CaptainxBumout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
fandango

I'm not sure if its more violent than Dexter. Then again it might be. I'd say show her the first episode and then you can both decide if you want to continue. I really like it so far. Suspension of disbelief is really needed for some scenes. Not much of a spoiler but I laughed when the cop came down from the ceiling. One thing I don't care for is the music.

Reaction score

LOL [MENTION=7595]Cap[/MENTION]tainxBumout
What a total Michael Myers move, when I saw it all I could keep thinking was Halloween H20 lol

I think it is only slightly more, that's why I used Dexter as the cross comparison because I think the two definitely (at least this far) have the closest comparison as far as the violence/gore factor goes.
I also agree with the suspension of disbelief being a good thing to have, but so far I've thought no more/less than say watching Lost.
I still think the biggest risk with watching and potentially liking this show is it is on FOX so you never know how long the show will go and if they'll even give them a chance to finish the show if they cancel it.

Last edited:

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2

I'm not sure if its more violent than Dexter. Then again it might be. I'd say show her the first episode and then you can both decide if you want to continue. I really like it so far. Suspension of disbelief is really needed for some scenes. Not much of a spoiler but I laughed when the cop came down from the ceiling. One thing I don't care for is the music.

Have to disagree with the music some great songs being used on the show.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar

I watched the pilot just now. And yeah....I'm going to say that I'm definitely underwhelmed.

C, B at best......not awful by any means, but I do know one thing and it's that I found my replacement to Fringe. It definitely has long term potential and while there are many weak points I'm expecting the shows development to be more than adequate over the course of the first season. If it does get renewed and ratings are consistent by Season 2 the show will definitely find the "rhythm" it's aiming for. (Fringe and Parks & Rec had pretty mellow first seasons but they managed to pick up fairly quickly.)

The main challenge that the show is facing is that it has presented itself as a direct competitor to vastly superior material, i.e Silence of the Lambs, most of David Fincher's work, Dexter etc, and it's got a lot of catching up to do if they plan on being taken seriously. (i.e at that level.) The point is that they are doing nothing new, and they have the handicap of being already beat, by a handsome margin.

I'm also not a big fan of the Poe, Emerson and Thoreau references, or the fact that the antagonist used to be a professor, I'm guessing that the only purpose that the literary themes even exist to begin with is to cover up the show's free use of violence with a shield of pretentiousness. While I'm not definitely not canning the show, I think that the show has a lot and I mean a lot of catching up to do.

Will it? I don't really know. At this moment, I'll give it a speculative/tentative yes.

And after watching it, I realize that "The Killing" comparison was a lazy one to begin with, as that is a vastly superior show, but granted that was based on already established/successful material, so the comparison itself is kind of unfair.

I assume you mean the American version of the Killing, because the Danish is excellent.

I am a big Bacon fan, but based on the trailer this looks very bland and clitched ridden. The cast apart from Bacon don't seem anything special either, but I will reserve judgement until I have watched it.

Even the American version of The Killing is superior.

Yeah, you assumed right.

EDIT: Ah...right, I just watched the second episode, I understand the literary references. The villain writes it and the hero lives it. However, I will stick with the thesis that it is just to distract the "readers" from the shows gratuitousness and generalized cliche-ism.

Last edited:

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Just finished the first episode, really enjoyed it, especially the literary references, those were probably my favorite part of the episode.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar

Just finished the first episode, really enjoyed it, especially the literary references, those were probably my favorite part of the episode.

lol

Some of the dialogues also made me lol, literally.

"EVEN THOUGH YOU SLEPT WITH MY WIFE....." *gruff voice*

"GIVE ME BACK MY SON" / "WHERE'S MY SON!!!!!!" *Feigned panic*

"If this book ends with anything other than your death, you better plan a re-write."

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

CaptainxBumout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
fandango

I don't see anything wrong with those first two lines of dialogue. The guy plays head games and said the first line in his regular voice. The second line is understandable when you're running around your house filled with cops yelling for your son. The give me back my son is funny because of Mel Gibson but I think it works in context as she was saying he's not his son anymore he's mine. The last line is cheesy as shit lol. I'm still really disliking the music. It's a cliché for things trying to be dark and violent.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar

Again, the show itself isn't bad......I mean, can we stop pretending that this isn't anything we haven't seen already. Done in a superior fashion.

My guess is that for the majority of people it will be a love/hate thing. I'm in an unusual position, I'll wait for the first 5 episodes to be done with to make an informed decision.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

I don't see a problem with those three lines at all, the last one is a bit cheesy, but I loved the first one.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2

Guess my Wife in on it theory is getting shot to hell, though I could see a storyline where it still works. Still think Joey is Ryans son though.