The Curse of Chucky

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

CaptainxBumout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
fandango
I think a serious tone could be used for a Chucky movie, just need to make sure the character itself doens't look goofy, this is what all the movies you mentioned had in common, the shitty 80s makeup made the movie dead on arrival.

I don't think half of those movies had any shitty 80s makeup. Puppet Master used stop motion that was good for the time but doesn't hold up. Gremlins and Critters used good puppetry and even Chucky to an extent but there is that one scene in Childs Play 2 where he's walking with that yard stick in hand to kill Andy's teacher. Leprechaun was actually a Warwick Davis and I thought his makeup job was always well done. The only thing is none of them were great movies besides Gremlins. Gremlins is a near perfect horror comedy. We need more Joe Dante.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
No denying that the Critters, Warwick Davis, and Gremlins/Mogwais looked cool. Could even throw in Ghoulies, might not always stand up to modern effects, as a lot have switched to digital. I personally prefer the practical effects, and one of my favorite things about The Walking Dead show is trying to figure out where the practical effect ends, and the digital effect begins. Bicycle Girl is a perfect example of how when both are blended together properly, neither effect on their own would be as good.

That said, I would hope that with Chucky this time around they blend the 2. There are obvious instances where a puppet would work better, and where a digital imprint would. I am just wary of them going 100% digital.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I don't think half of those movies had any shitty 80s makeup. Puppet Master used stop motion that was good for the time but doesn't hold up. Gremlins and Critters used good puppetry and even Chucky to an extent but there is that one scene in Childs Play 2 where he's walking with that yard stick in hand to kill Andy's teacher. Leprechaun was actually a Warwick Davis and I thought his makeup job was always well done. The only thing is none of them were great movies besides Gremlins. Gremlins is a near perfect horror comedy. We need more Joe Dante.

80s stop motion bluescreen effects looked terrible in the 80s, Warwick Davis looked like a turd in Leprechaun and Critters was just furballs with teeth, the effects turned some good concepts into laughable content tbh.

Just don't think Child's Play should be taken into a comedy route, if the rebooted Evil Dead took out the comedic schtick, and still be a good movie, it will work for this.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
80s stop motion bluescreen effects looked terrible in the 80s, Warwick Davis looked like a turd in Leprechaun and Critters was just furballs with teeth, the effects turned some good concepts into laughable content tbh.

Just don't think Child's Play should be taken into a comedy route, if the rebooted Evil Dead took out the comedic schtick, and still be a good movie, it will work for this.

First evil dead didn't really have all that much comedy and what it did have was unintended. Then it escalated. But I agree. Chucky would be better if it had the tone of the first film. It just got progressively worse.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Stopped caring about this franchise after they started introducing comedy into the character, I hated that stupid doll for spouting catchphrases before he kills, just ruins the originality of the first movie. Rather get a movie based of the real possessed doll the concept was taken from tbh.

I think the studio called the originality by over exposing the character and producing the rubbish squeals which is just what Bride of Chunky was sending up, as well as cleverly referencing a bunch of past horror films. I loved that film, one of the great overlooked films of the 90s, Jennifer Tilly is great value in it. Seed was just a needless add on which was mostly comedy, but without a plot. The series has gone far enough now.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Personally I cant take killer dolls seriously, I mean you can just kick them across the room and run, even the fatties could run faster than a 3' doll. Demonic Toys, Puppet Master, Child's Play, Gremlins, Critters, and Leprechaun all had the same comedic value to me just from that.Although I am now wanting to see that episode of Weird or What?

Normally didn't Chucky hide or come up with a plan to out smart and attack his victims. So the films did a knowledge the limitations of the Killer Doll.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Normally didn't Chucky hide or come up with a plan to out smart and attack his victims. So the films did a knowledge the limitations of the Killer Doll.

And at the beginning, we are supposed to believe that Charles Lee Ray is pretty much a dumb crook, that happens upon a voodoo curse, and curses himself after a shootout with police in a toy store. If he was able to come up with these great plans to kill someone as a 3' talking doll weighing about 10lbs at the most, where the hell were they when he was still alive.

Best laid plan I can remember was in 3 anyways, where he switched out the paint rounds for wargames, with live rounds. But then you are technically killed by other people.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
And at the beginning, we are supposed to believe that Charles Lee Ray is pretty much a dumb crook, that happens upon a voodoo curse, and curses himself after a shootout with police in a toy store. If he was able to come up with these great plans to kill someone as a 3' talking doll weighing about 10lbs at the most, where the hell were they when he was still alive.

Best laid plan I can remember was in 3 anyways, where he switched out the paint rounds for wargames, with live rounds. But then you are technically killed by other people.

All true, but then he was a bigger target to be shot at when he was alive! Maybe we are thinking a little a bit too much on this one lol.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
All true, but then he was a bigger target to be shot at when he was alive! Maybe we are thinking a little a bit too much on this one lol.

I always am when it comes to horror movies, I am the kind of guy who has plans for the zombie apocalypse(except the WWZ & Runners, then my plan is lay down and die). Its something I picked up at an early age to help get over my fear of horror movies, and I guess it is reflex now.