The Avengers

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
It was an excellent movie every single minute was must see but everyone please stay until after the credits there is another scene that you have to watch and trust me you will love it.

Killswitch

Reaction score
Caught a pretty decent cam version of the movie. It was really fun. Gonna actually go see it in the movie theater.

Reaction score
Loved it! I would seriously see this movie a few times in the theaters. It's the fastest movie ever to reach $200 million.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Part two is coming and I can't wait. I'd go see a second part tomorrow, it was that good. Spiderman and Batman got to bring it now

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
534952_10150786118541344_562046343_9573042_1450846396_n.jpg

Not to mention Iron Man 3 Cap 2 Thor 2 and a yet to be named Marvel Movie.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Black Widow and Hawkeye were promised a movie if this one did well, so I think it is safe to say we are going to see an origin based movie for those two on how they met

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
I was wondering why they didn't really flesh out any kind of relationship between the two except for that one scene. I know it'd make for an awesome movie but would many people outside of the comic book culture go to see a movie centered around them?

Black Widow was great in the movie but not exactly a show-stealer, and they did a great job with Hawkeye but didn't seem very interesting until the final act (yeah I know the whole Loki thing, but he wasn't built up enough for me to muster any real sympathy for him. I thought he was just some random casualty extra at first).

If they really want to put out another blockbuster, they should focus on a Hulk movie with the same actor and the same tone. Hulk movies have always sucked but seriously, he was probably the best thing in the movie apart from Robert Downey Jr's performance. For once they've had the balls to just let the Hulk be mostly a lighthearted comic relief character rather than the serious gritty thing, and it worked!

The Hawkeye/Black Widow idea would be just as good with me if it means I get that much more Scarlett Johansson.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Yeah Johannson has said they were told her character and Hawkeye could have a movie depending on how she was received in the Avengers. It is safe to say that her and Hawkeye were received well, even if they were two sidekicks to the big 4, a least they were Dick Grayson level scene and respect wise.

I'd personally watch them if they based the story loosely on Avengers Earths Mighties Heroes story as they animated series did a good job of explaining their partnership and feelings in season 1.

Interestingly enough Black widow is being added to the animated series as a full time member of the team as opposed to guest as well this season, with action figures being made according to producers for both her and Hawkeye

I would only complain if they made them separate movies as the characters aren't strong enough to be solo acts. Doing a movie together to flesh out their characters and relationship, is okay by me as long as they are sharing the focus of one movie

As for your question I think you could get some fans of the movie to go see them. I also think there is going to be a good kid following just based off the animated series on Disney and how they are planning to pimp the characters out with their own action figure and toy line. Comic nerds shall come naturally lol

Last edited:

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Okay for someone who has seen none of the movies that set this movie up could I still enjoy it without knowing the backstory? Is it a good enough stand alone film for me to go out and see without being confused by references to past movies.

Also watching the trailer I am a bit confused why one super hero has a gun and why one is an archer. I can see why they didn't get movies before this release as to me they seem lik weak characters that wouldn't sell too well.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Honestly I'm not at all interested in the film. I don't get the hype over it either. Everyone I seem to know is acting like Marvel nerds and acting like they have been long time readers and fans when it's clear they haven't.

Brock Lesnar

Reaction score
If you haven't seen this movie, you have no idea how good a comic book film can get. Very funny, very energetic movie. Downey Jr. Stole the show with hilarious comedic banter, but Mark Ruffalo wasn't far behind with his rendition of The Hulk. There was action between the superheroes when they didn't know each other so well, not to forget the character development to those who don't know the stories of the last movies. All of this culminating into an action packed 30 minute end fight scene, which disappointed not a single person that was present in the movie theater.

I don't understand why any straight teenager would say they "have no interest" in an action flick featuring kick ass superheroes... I guess go see The Vow or something, Prodigy.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Okay for someone who has seen none of the movies that set this movie up could I still enjoy it without knowing the backstory? Is it a good enough stand alone film for me to go out and see without being confused by references to past movies.

It helps, but no it doesn't really matter. There's nothing really complicated about this movie.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
If you haven't seen this movie, you have no idea how good a comic book film can get. Very funny, very energetic movie. Downey Jr. Stole the show with hilarious comedic banter, but Mark Ruffalo wasn't far behind with his rendition of The Hulk. There was action between the superheroes when they didn't know each other so well, not to forget the character development to those who don't know the stories of the last movies. All of this culminating into an action packed 30 minute end fight scene, which disappointed not a single person that was present in the movie theater.

I don't understand why any straight teenager would say they "have no interest" in an action flick featuring kick ass superheroes... I guess go see The Vow or something, Prodigy.

No, I'm waiting for The Dictator, I prefer comedy films, always have, always will. I don't see why having no interest in one film makes me gay as you are trying to make out. It's my personal preference, I'd rather see something that appeals to me then jump on the bandwagon and follow the crowds. I'll see it eventually, but I'm not wasting my time queuing up for something that doesn't interest me, when there's other films that interest me a lot more.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus

Also watching the trailer I am a bit confused why one super hero has a gun and why one is an archer. I can see why they didn't get movies before this release as to me they seem lik weak characters that wouldn't sell too well.
Gun = Black Widow aka Natasha Romanoff.

She was a super spy and assassain for hire. She in many different adaptations joined Shield and even Hydra as double and triple agents. She also would kill and turn on anyone until she met Hawkeye, who was thw first and only person to show her true trust and respect by letting her go (think Dom and Brian in Fast and Furious or Goku and Vegeta or Jason and Tommy) She appears in Iron Man Armored Adventures and Avengers Earths Mightiest Heroes in the animated world as well as his partner.
--------
Bow and Arrow = Hawkeye aka Clint Barton

Hes a team leader in shield and one of the few people Fury lets operate solo. He's a master archer because guns don't require skill. He's a master tactician as he can call out patterns and read offenses with ease, while planning counter strikes. He's also an ace pilot. He appeared in the 90s Ironman cartoon, Iron Man Armored Adventures, and is an Avenger in the Disney cartoon. He is also a master of hand to combat, rivaled only by Black Widow in the ranks of both Hydra and Shield. His arrows are also more tech based than Green Arrow or Red Arrow from DC as he has many different types. Another common theme is that he is the only guy on the team that Hulk in his monster form actually likes marginally.
-------

As a tandem, they really came together in Budapest when Hawkeye was outnumbered and out matched as Widow returned to repay his favor and save him. They are friends, Widow and him are even hinted at and flat out stated to be lovers in various different multiverses. They are total skill based characters ala Batman in comaprison to super powered or armored out like the others as well

As for why they were picked, logically it had to do with the fact both characters had cameos on Ironman and Thor respectively. Conversely, if they weren't picked the alternatives would have been Hank Pym and Wasp, as those two and Black Widow/Hawkeye joining of the Avengers varies as to which couple comes first in most adaptations. They probably didn't want to offset Hulk though with Giant Man/Antman in this movie. Another common Avenger that will likely be added is the series continues is Black Panther, but they didn't rightfully want his tech competing with that which belongs to Stark.

You can watch the movie and enjoy it without really knowing Hawkeye and Black Widow because of the big 4, but overall they do their part and make people want to learn about their relationship. And honestly I think they wrote those two so that they can do an origin movie for the tandem

I also have to give Epix credit for running all the Marvel Movies Ina block leading to the debut so people could know the Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America franchises fresh in their mind. It was smart business to run a block on the day before their premiere

Last edited:

CaptainxBumout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
fandango
Review

This movie was never really supposed to be any good. From the second they announced it, it seemed like this would either be Iron Man 3 or a cluttered mess. Luckily it was neither and we have quite possibly the best superhero movie of all time. The second Joss Whedon's name was attached i felt a bit relieved. This man knows how to make movies and shows that appeal to a niche demographic. So when you give him a huge well known blockbuster, you can only imagine how well it will be done. The man almost perfectly blended in each character into the movie. Even characters who haven't really done much of anything in the other movies (Hawkeye and Black Widow). I hear The Hulk was finally done the right way (Which I can't confirm as I've never read the comics) and everyone just bounces off each other so well. A great cast all around except I don't really care for Jeremy Renner in anything. He just kind of has the same reaction for everything.

The movie runs a bit long for those who are used to the standard hour and a half but there isn't a scene I would cut. The movie isn't action packed as many would hope like say a Transformers but the action scenes are done very well. Just because a movie is a huge action blockbuster, it doesn't have to suck like Transformers (professional opinion). This movie benefits greatly from the existing titles. The exact same movie couldn't have the same effect if not for the previous installments. Yes you could still enjoy this movie without seeing the others but you simply wouldn't be getting the full effect and would probably be a little lost in some key scenes without the proper backstory. Of course there are many fights that fans want to see such as Iron man vs Thor but they are relatively kept short which I enjoy as it would get a bit out of hand if dragged out longer. If the movie feels a little slow, the third act is an incredible work of art. By this point you really care for all the Avengers and want them to succeed.

There is a fair bit a comedy in this movie as with all Joss Whedon stuff. Some scenes made me laugh out loud (Hulk and Loki) but at times I felt there was a little too much. Tom Hiddleston does a great job playing Loki but I feel he was the wrong villain. He played second fiddle to the army (I can't for the life of me remember what they're called.) and overall comes across as very weak. He plays a bit of mind games but really any villain could do that. He gets his ass handed to him a couple of times which is okay since it's four against one but when we know Thor could kick his ass by himself, does he really come off as a good villain?

Overall I found this movie to be amazing. Great score, amazing CGI and a true summer blockbuster done right. The movie had the right balance of everything and there is certainly something for everyone here. 9/10

Pros
-Amazing cast
-Incredible action
-Looks terrific
-Perfectly blended

Cons
-Weak villain
-A little too much comedy for me