Summer of Punk 2014?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

punk13

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
therock2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
lita2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Source: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

A singles match between CM Punk and Triple H at WrestleMania 30 is reportedly a "lock" for the event as we reported several days ago here on the website. WWE is said to be planning another "Summer of Punk" storyline that would culminate in a CM Punk vs. Batista match at SummerSlam.
Another "Summer of Punk"?

Someone should text Kevin Nash about this...

Reactions: SAIYANS

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Not really sure the point. Punk by all reference is whiny backstage, we all know that, always has been. He barely left the first time. What changes this time? Beyond that, what is his actual leverage on and off screen with this roster compared to the one he had by the balls because it was so depleted?

Waste of time unless Batista kills him at SSlam to promote the movie; other than that Dave should be getting Brock, which is a true attraction fans will buy ... Beast vs Animal

Last edited:

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Yeah what's the point of doing this again? And how can they even plan a "Summer of Punk" Not like they're doing a similar angle or anything at least I hope not. Just say "A push for Punk this Summer" or some shit

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Thought he was supposed to retire soon or something, or he is banged up again or hates travelling or whatever the fuck.

This is getting rediculous.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
If they're going to do another 'Summer Of Punk' as in have him run off with the belt or something they should do it with someone else rather than the same guy. Unless they realised how badly they ballsed the first one up by bringing him back a week later and having HHH and Nash squash him every week.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
I don't think "Summer of Punk" means leaving with the belt. I think it means being in a major program for the summer.

Regardless, I don't think Punk is considering "retiring." Every time he says he's tired of traveling, Meltzer finds "those close to Phil" who "say he is ready to retire because he is not happy with the company." Punk said he's hurt and tired of travelling right now. He was promised more time off after Mania, but then Cena's situation was worsening and they were terrified. Vince paid Punk that pretty penny to come back earlier than he was supposed to. He's tired of travelling and taking bumps in every single city. "Yeah, I'm sure a lot of people are but they don't complain about it." Who? Cena? He has requested/demanded time off plenty of times. Bryan? He talks all the time about how run down he is but that he's lucky he isn't working a schedule (yet) like a Cena or Punk.

Even if they do the "leaving" thing... I'd prefer it's an injury angle where he at least gets to do commentary... have his mic go out all the time. Hell, you can even get rid of Lawler while you're at it.

Reactions: PHX

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I find it amusing that these reports are coming out after Punk replied to a fan who said they liked his match with Seth Rollins, saying it was garbage. Should be an interesting first couple of months in the new year.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Dirtsheets always blow up Punk's tweets into something bigger than it is supposed to be esp since Punk hardly takes twitter seriously usually being sarcastic. Pretty much what Luke said don't think Summer of Punk has to mean they are doing the same storyline again and do think they need to a do a angle where he is given time off from wrestling. Doubt they actually really have something planned all the way in the summer right now but if they did do this I do wonder how they would set up a Batista/Punk feud.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
WWE must really want to drive people away from watching wrestling, huh.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Dirtsheets always blow up Punk's tweets into something bigger than it is supposed to be esp since Punk hardly takes twitter seriously usually being sarcastic. Pretty much what Luke said don't think Summer of Punk has to mean they are doing the same storyline again and do think they need to a do a angle where he is given time off from wrestling. Doubt they actually really have something planned all the way in the summer right now but if they did do this I do wonder how they would set up a Batista/Punk feud.
When I first heard Batista was coming back, I thought it would be as Triple H's new Nash guy to take Punk out for being so paranoid and calling H out, as a way to stretch it out so H doesn't have to wrestle. I'd assume Punk vs. Batista would come down to Triple H's friendship with Dave, but I'd love to see it be a standalone angle, maybe even with the title involved.

Reactions: PHX

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Not sure being a lackey is what is best for a guy who is going to promote a pretty big Marvel movie.

Much rather him face off against Lesnar, because that is a match that hasn't happened before. We need a big match feel, and I don't think a guy who I can see squashed by Batista is what is the bigger potential moneymaker.

And LOL @ Cena "demanding time off". Only takes time off when something has to go under the knife and still comes back earlier than expected.....wrong guy to use as an example, he no sold a divorce.

Fauche

Reaction score
Feel like Punk could be best used as a guy to try and get mid-carders over and up to the main event at this point. Guy can be good on the mic and in the ring, but not a big huge draw or anything, even if he has been one of the top dudes for a while now. So instead of giving him things like The Rock matches, Taker at Mania, Lesnar at Summerslam (which reminds me, fuck all y'all and Punk himself if you/he thinks he doesn't get mad love from management), its time to use him to elevate some new talent maybe? When was the last time he didn't come out of a feud with someone looking like the better man (barring all those "legend" matches)? Dude doesn't need a match with Batista. Give that junk to Sheamus, Reigns, idk, whoever else. Let Punk lose to some guys - he's done enough stuff for it to matter as much as it can with the current product. Feel like he should be samesies as Del Rio. And if he's too grumpy to be down with that, then whatever, not a guy they need to have around anyway.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
CM Punk was great with The Rock, Undertaker, and Brock Lesnar. He's always hit it out the park with John Cena. The catch is The Undertaker, Rock, Brock, and Cena were and have been great before Punk.

Punk has just had stinkers with Ambrose, Rollins, and Reigns especially when you compare him working vs them to the Rhodes Brothers, Kane, Rey, Usos, Bryan, and Cena. They click with the Shield he doesn't. It is not just the Shield either as he and Ryback stunk up the joint for months on end.

He's simply hit or miss with the right guy. It can be motivation, it can be injury, or it can just be he's not a Shawn Michaels in a ring and can't click with almost anyone.

A break could do him well with the way his matches have been going lately. In fact I'm kinda hoping he doesn't get Trips at all at Mania and its Cena or Bryan in there to help pull the best out of him because as it is right now, Trips would have to be the one stepping it up to another level to carry Punk along out his funk.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
And LOL @ Cena "demanding time off". Only takes time off when something has to go under the knife and still comes back earlier than expected.....wrong guy to use as an example, he no sold a divorce.
Cena was going to leave several times, and Vince talked him into postponing surgery or a break (mostly out of fear that nobody else existed on the roster who can sell/draw). Look no further back than after Extreme Rules when Cena told the crowd they wouldn't see him for a while... Cena was as good as gone and Vince pulled him right back in and made him wait until he had a tennis ball for an elbow. Don't tell me that's the wrong guy to use as an example... he didn't force himself to remain... he's loyal, sure... but he was ready for the break and they wouldn't give it to him.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
When were these several times? He didn't leave for a divorce. He didn't leave for an Achilles strain. He barely left with a broken neck. He once worked 78 straight days. He's never just taken time off like punk took time off after mania.

There was the time he asked for a vacation and that literally was a week off