Scott D'Amore fired as TNA president

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I don’t believe there’s a such thing as a midcarder. Your position is wherever the booker puts you. A talent could be only seen as midcard in one place and main event in another. It’s all subjective, but I feel the problem is people refuse to let talent evolve. Not everyone is a main event player right out of the gate.

Hmmm I think I agree especially this part " talent could be only seen as midcard in one place and main event in another." But I think that more depends on the promotion talent pool than what you're saying. I think Taven's ceiling in with the AEW crowd might be the midcard or as main event feud fodder no matter how well Tony tries to book him. But in TNA he could be champ easily and that's no knock against TNA either. Talent is just kinda relative I think

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I don’t believe there’s a such thing as a midcarder. Your position is wherever the booker puts you. A talent could be only seen as midcard in one place and main event in another. It’s all subjective, but I feel the problem is people refuse to let talent evolve. Not everyone is a main event player right out of the gate.
And to be fair, most of the time, not all, but most of the time, the people that get pushed to fast a lot of times fizzle out. Either from bad booking, or their own doing

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
There are definitely talent who are 100% best in the midcard though. EVIL springs to mind

Reactions: Roy Mustang

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
There are definitely talent who are 100% best in the midcard though. EVIL springs to mind
former WORLD champion Evil? I think you are kind of proving his point in this case - it's all relative to booker and surrounding talent

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Hmmm I think I agree especially this part " talent could be only seen as midcard in one place and main event in another." But I think that more depends on the promotion talent pool than what you're saying. I think Taven's ceiling in with the AEW crowd might be the midcard or as main event feud fodder no matter how well Tony tries to book him. But in TNA he could be champ easily and that's no knock against TNA either. Talent is just kinda relative I think
I feel it’s a mix of both. Obviously some talents just aren’t good enough to give that kind of time to, but if we’re talking Taven, I agree for the most part. He could go to TNA and easily be one of their main event players. This is essentially where ROH was and I’d argue that the main event pool was even thinner in ROH in 2019 than today’s TNA.

Here’s the thing though it’s really all about how the booker feels about it just as much or more because if you look at that match with Cassidy that technically mained that show, Tony could easily decide to elevate Taven after being impressed with him and I feel the booking and the performances could easily justify it. You just have to present him as a big deal. It’s then on the fans to accept the new perception of how he’s being portrayed now.

It’s really just on the fans. Many talents have broken out of the midcard and been accepted by the fans. It’s honestly fickle imo when they reject it and when they don’t.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
former WORLD champion Evil? I think you are kind of proving his point in this case - it's all relative to booker and surrounding talent

She did say "better" tbf tho. I think we're talking about "how they are booked" and "how they should be booked" together when those are kinda separate convos

But for that yeah I agree, a booker could technically book anyone in the main event yes

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I feel it’s a mix of both. Obviously some talents just aren’t good enough to give that kind of time to, but if we’re talking Taven, I agree for the most part. He could go to TNA and easily be one of their main event players. This is essentially where ROH was and I’d argue that the main event pool was even thinner in ROH in 2019 than today’s TNA.

Here’s the thing though it’s really all about how the booker feels about it just as much or more because if you look at that match with Cassidy that technically mained that show, Tony could easily decide to elevate Taven after being impressed with him and I feel the booking and the performances could easily justify it. You just have to present him as a big deal. It’s then on the fans to accept the new perception of how he’s being portrayed now.

It’s really just on the fans. Many talents have broken out of the midcard and been accepted by the fans. It’s honestly fickle imo when they reject it and when they don’t.

I agree, you can't go against the fans necessarily so it's a losing argument on my part but sometimes it just feels like the louder fans turn the rest of the audience and shit will then stick from crowd to crowd bc everyone watches on TV

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Was he a good world champion though? No, he was lame

Like I said, workers who are best in the midcard, no reason to push them further

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Tbh. Sometimes it’s good to push people into the main event. Maybe not necessarily win the title, but it’s good to sometimes have new challengers, even if they don’t have a chance to win, you get a good match out of it, and can test if someone can hang in the main event scene

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I agree, you can't go against the fans necessarily so it's a losing argument on my part but sometimes it just feels like the louder fans turn the rest of the audience and shit will then stick from crowd to crowd bc everyone watches on TV
It’s a double edged sword. Sometimes you can push through and make the audience see it and sometimes you have to give up. Like when Taven eventually just went back to his tag team with Bennett. Which I also love so I’m not too mad at it.

Reactions: Hidden Blaze

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Tbh. Sometimes it’s good to push people into the main event. Maybe not necessarily win the title, but it’s good to sometimes have new challengers, even if they don’t have a chance to win, you get a good match out of it, and can test if someone can hang in the main event scene
One of the things I think is a lost art form is the revolving door of main event players. They were basically an upper metal card act that you could slot into the main event once or twice a year and even give a title to every couple years but they wouldn’t necessarily be your key event players.

Your undertaker, mick foley, big show types.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Was he a good world champion though? No, he was lame

Like I said, workers who are best in the midcard, no reason to push them further
That’s a subjective opinion, though. I can’t speak personally on his reign because I didn’t see much of it, but I could see Gedo sliding him in again if he needs to.

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
One of the things I think is a lost art form is the revolving door of main event players. They were basically an upper metal card act that you could slot into the main event once or twice a year and even give a title to every couple years but they wouldn’t necessarily be your key event players.

Your undertaker, mick foley, big show types.
Definitely, it’s something we need more of. It’s kinda the role Ziggler played at one point also. He said so himself, he could be in the opener, he can be in some midcard feud, or if you needed someone to make the Champ look good, toss them in the ring with Ziggler, he could easily slot in.

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Definitely, it’s something we need more of. It’s kinda the role Ziggler played at one point also. He said so himself, he could be in the opener, he can be in some midcard feud, or if you needed someone to make the Champ look good, toss them in the ring with Ziggler, he could easily slot in.
I get that vibe from Sami Zayn actually

I feel that's kind of dying because wrestling fans have become too used to a certain promoter only pushing their favourites and making them win constantly, so "loss = buried" is too entrenched

Reactions: Hidden Blaze

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I get that vibe from Sami Zayn actually

I feel that's kind of dying because wrestling fans have become too used to a certain promoter only pushing their favourites and making them win constantly, so "loss = buried" is too entrenched
You know, Sami definitely fits that mold now. Can have him in a tag team, some midcard feud, he can go for the IC or US Title, and any of it works and makes sense.