ROH DVD Discussion/Ratings/Rankings

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Montana

Yeah, i was kinda in the middle of 2.5 and 3.0....and when thinking back i didn't even really remember who won. It probably was closer to the 3.0 match, but i guess i wasn't as into it for some reason. I even remember a lackluster match at Double Feature. Guess i'm not a fan of these two in a singles match. Which is odd, because i like both guys.

PeepShow

Death Before Dishonor III

Whitmer/Jacobs vs. The Embassy ~ **1/4
Ring Crew Express vs. The Carnage Crew ~ **
Samoa Joe vs. Colt Cabana ~ ***1/4
AJ Styles vs. Petey Williams ~ **1/2
Lacy's Angels vs. Generation Next ~ *1/4
Nigel vs. Gibson vs. Homicide vs. Azrieal ~ **3/4
Low Ki vs. Jay Lethal ~ ***
Austin Aries vs. CM Punk ~ ****1/2

The show overall was meh. Nothing great, but it wasn't a total snoozer though either. The main event was what saved it from being so however imo. Most of this show just seemed so underwhelming. I was expecting more out of Joe/Cabana, and A LOT more out of Petey/AJ. Man, was that ever a let down. Low Ki/Lethal was really good until the lame finish of a interference, wtf. So stupid. Main event was great though. This is the CM Punk I would like to see today. Especially after the match. That heel turn on the fans was AWESOME. If he were to do that if he cashed in MITB on Cena and won, that would be the most epic shit they have done in a LONG time. All the video packages throughout the show were great too. solid show, but as I said, I didn't feel it was "GREAT"

Soulpower

ROH-Nowhere to Run (5-14-2005)

James Gibson vs BJ Whitmer (***)

Solid opener, with my only complaint being that Whitmer forgot to sell the leg after Gibson worked on it for a bit. Gibson wins the match with a Guillotine Choke (Pretty much the same as Jacobs' End Time).

Chad Collyer vs Jimmy Jacobs (***1/4)

This match was much better than I was expecting. The crowd was completely behind Jacobs, but it doesn't stop Collyer from getting the win with the Texas Cloverleaf.

Doug Williams vs Homicide (***1/2)

This match went a bit too long (Almost 20 minutes), but it was probably one of Homicide's best single matches against someone not named Danielson or Joe. Homicide gets the win after reversing The Chaos Theory into the ALWAYS deadly roll-up of doom.

Delirious and Alex Shelley vs Jack Evans and Roderick Strong (***1/2)

Its a match with Generation Next, in other words, a spotfest, though a very fun one at that. Too much shit going on here to recap. Evans and Strong get the win when Roderick makes Delirious tap-out to the Stronghold. Post-Match, Shelley takes out Jack and Roderick with a chair.

Nigel McGuiness vs Colt Cabana (**1/4)

Probably the weakest encounter between these two men. The one good thing about this match was seeing Nigel go from face, to full-blown heel throughout the match (Even busting open Colt with a headbutt). Nigel gets the win with a Small Package, after hitting a low-blow on Colt.

Bryan Danielson vs Austin Aries-ROH Title Match (****)

Its these two in the ring, you know what to expect (A lot of counters) and as usual, it was awesome. Aries gets the win with the Brainbuster-450 Splash Combo. Post-Match, Danielson refuses to shake hands. Samoa Joe comes out to confront Aries, and ends up giving him a Muscle Buster. (By the way, Danielson's entrance theme here was GODLY!).

Backstage, Prazak catches up with Danielson, who then quits after failing to win the title.

CM Punk vs Jimmy Rave-Steel Cage Match (****)

Great main event with both men bleeding. Punk dominated the match early on, until Nana threw some powder into his face. Punk gets the win with a Superplex from the top of the cage. Post-match, Punk promises to come after Austin Aries and the ROH World Title.

Overall Thoughts:This was flat-out a great show, with only Nigel vs Colt being a bit disappointing. The two main-events delivered, and pretty much everything was *** or more. I should add, Alex Shelley was great throughout the show with his promos.

Overall rating: 9/10

dark patriot

Reaction score
the two Florida shows will probably be the first two shows from this year i get.I was in NJ, while Va,Detroit and Chicago had things that didnt appeal to me enough to not want to buy them.

Montana

Facepalm

(Caged Collison Spoilers)

I just finished watching the epic climax of the Albright Team and Sweet and Sour from Caged Collision and I'd have to agree with the live fans in Chicago, and this was not a very good match at all. Especially for a PPV main event...undercard, i'm ok with it.

The Match starts off with Strong and Richards battling in the cage. Good stuff, but then about 2 minutes in that out comes Tank Toland, who we've seen for like a year. Pretty much a jobber in the main event. Crowds like WTF. Then a minute later out comes Ace STeele....a guy who has pretty much NOTHING to do with this fued. Minute later i think Edwards comes out. This is where the problem is really. Guys are coming out every minute or two, and its just becoming a cluster in the ring. Finally the rest of the guys come out and start brawling, then it spills outside of the cage. Briscoe returns from a knee injury to hit Dempsey in the ring (Which was DUMB, cause the crowd starting boo'ing him) Briscoe does a big spot off the cage. Everyone goes back in the ring. Team Albright tosses everyone out but Pearce, he gets beat. Match over. About 20 minutes. It was pretty pointless to even have the cage. It just seemed like a huge cluster. They should have only had 4 man teams. Chris Hero SHOULD have been in the match. Larry Sweeney SHOULD have been in the match. They just tried to fit too much into too little time. Then the ending with Sweeney and Dempsey was awesome (all the hard work of gabe) but THAT should have been in the match! That would have been great, but that was after.

Overall ***

It was entertaining for the time, but this could have been A LOT better. Wasn't a main event caliber match. Half the wrestlers in the match weren't main event caliber either. Had this match gone 40-45 minutes, with spacing out the entries, i think it could have helped it as well.

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

Wow, way to botch what should have been a very nice match, ROH. How the shit do we get Tank Toland back and Ace Steel involved? =/

Montana

Also the team captain...the guy who wanted to get his hands on SNS the MOST, entered the match last. I can understand you wanting to win the match, but at the same time, there wasn't anything really on the line. Plus on paper Albright's team was a lot stronger. Albright should have entered the match first or second.

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

Yeah, that kinda bugs me. It works as a heel thing wanting to come in and capitalise, but like you said, Albright wanted to bash them. Ugh, Pearce booking.

Soulpower

ROH-Eliminating The Competition

2ihs935.jpg

Bobby Fish vs Papadon (**)

Decent opener with both guys looking good. Papadon is supposed to a greek god or something like that. Fish got the win with a Jumping Knee Strike

Kenny King and Rhett Titus vs Erick Stevens vs Bobby Dempsey (**1/4)

I hate Bobby Dempsey, that is all. Titus and King continue to look good, and they get the win when Kenny reverses Erick's Doctor Bomb into a Small Package (With his feet on the ropes) for the pin.

Brent Albright vs Claudio Castagnoli (***)

Best thing on the show so far, even with the lack of a finish. Match originally ended in a draw, but Albright asked for 5 more minutes, and we got them. Of course, Claudio got his ass kicked for 30 seconds, then decided to get counted out. On par with their match on HDnet a couple of weeks back, minus the finish.

Jay Briscoe & Kevin Steen vs Chris Hero & Eddie Edwards (***3/4)

This was my match of the night, and it was a longer version of the HDnet match they showed this week.. I liked how Jay and Steen were reluctant partners at the start, and I loved how they busted out some of the Briscoes' double team moves, as well as some of Steenerico's double team moves. Hero and Edwards made for a very good team, considering that they were a make-shift team. Steen and Briscoe get the win after hitting the Doomsday Device on Hero.

Bryan Danielson vs Delirious (***)

Solid match, though not as good as some of their past encounters. Danielson gets the win with a Small Package, and we get some more dissension between Delirious and Jacobs.

Austin Aries vs Sami Callahan (**1/2)

Its weird, Sami is good (Sometimes great) when he wrestles outside of ROH, but he seems to struggle when he's in ROH. Match felt a bit like a squash, and Aries got the win after the Brainbuster.

Necro Butcher vs Brodie Lee (Street Fight) (***)

Good, but disappointing. There was a lot of brawling as expected, but the use of weapons was very limited. Delirious and Jacobs do a run-in, but Jimmy ends up Spearing Delirious. Necro gets the win shortly afterwards with a sick chair shot.

Nigel McGuiness vs Jerry Lynn vs Jimmy Jacobs vs Tyler Black (***1/2)

Underwhelming, considering the people involved. Lynn was the first one eliminated via a pinfall by Nigel (While Jacobs held Lynn's feet down). The other three guys wrestled the majority of the match. Black got counted out, and Nigel hit the Jawbreaker Lariat on Jacobs after that for the win.

I would avoid this show, to be honest. Nothing really important happened, and none of the matches blew me away. Just a very meh show.

Montana

Eliminating the Competition

Bobby Fish vs Papadon 2.5

Kenny King and Rhett Titus vs Erick Stevens vs Bobby Dempsey 3.00

Brent Albright vs Claudio Castagnoli 3.0

Jay Briscoe & Kevin Steen vs Chris Hero & Eddie Edwards 3.5

Bryan Danielson vs Delirious 3.25

Austin Aries vs Sami Callahan 2.5

Necro Butcher vs Brodie Lee (Street Fight) 3.5

Nigel McGuiness vs Jerry Lynn vs Jimmy Jacobs vs Tyler Black 3.75

Looking at my ratings, you would have thought i though this was a pretty good show, however this show seemed to really drag on. I'm not sure if its the fact, most of the matchups were rematches, or twist of matches we've seen recently. Some of the matches came out good, but really nothing great. Not something your going to watch a second time. Overall 7/10

What was up with the Chikara turtle in the crowd?? What an idiot.

Soulpower

What was up with the Chikara turtle in the crowd?? What an idiot.

Lol, thought I was the only one that noticed that.

PeepShow

Anybody know when and how often they release new DVDs? Like when the Chicago show from this past April may be out?

Soulpower

^^^It usually takes about 2 or 3 months for a show to be released on DVD.

Soulpower

Watched a couple of the matches from 7th Anniversary show (Posted by Kizza in the media section), here's some thoughts.

Roderick Strong & Erick Stevens vs Rhett Titus & Kenny King (**1/2)

Solid opener with Titus and King looking very impressive. They didn't get the win, but the match leads me to believe that these two will be BIG in the near future.

Brent Albright vs Claudio Castagnoli (***1/2)

Back and forth match-up up until time expired. We get 5 more minutes, and Claudio gets DQ'ed after a low-blow. Match was on par with their encounters on HDNet. The most noteworthy thing was the Benoit chant that broke out during the match, after Albright used the Crossface and blew a snot rocket at CC.

Jerry Lynn vs Mike Quackenbush (***)

Good match as expected. Quack is just so fluid and crisp in the ring. Its incredible to watch. Both men did their thing, with Lynn hitting his moves, and Quack having a counter for pretty much everything. Lynn gets the win with the Cradle Piledriver.

Jimmy Jacobs, Austin Aries & Brodie Lee vs Tyler Black, Delirious & Necro Butcher (***)

This match got a lot of hate from the live reports, but I actually liked it. The stipulation was that if someone was eliminated by pinfall, the next elimination would have to place via another finish (Submission, etc). We ended up with a wild brawl, which I won't even try to recap. It came to Jacobs and Black, and Tyler got the win after hitting God's Last Gift.

Bison Smith & Jimmy Rave vs Bryan Danielson & Colt Cabana (***)

To be honest, this match was decent at best. The rating is due in large part to the return of Rave and Colt, and the HUGE pop that Cabana got when he made his appearance.

D'Lo Brown vs Jay Briscoe (**)

I was not a big fan of this match. I thought they should have done a slugfest (Similar to the Strong-Jay matches), instead we got a confusing match where both men were faces to start, only to have D'Lo randomly turn heel mid-match.

Currently watching Nigel vs KENTA, here's hoping it lives up to the hype.

Nigel McGuiness vs KENTA (****3/4)

Nigel's left arm is heavily taped for this match, so KENTA being the jerk we all know and love, decides to go straight to the arm with an early flurry of stiff kicks. Nigel did a great job of selling the arm (Though the pain was probably legit), and of making sure he didn't use it for his Lariats. Nigel did however hit the Tower of London 3 different times (With 3 different variations). They teased a double count-out, but both men got back in the ring at 19. KENTA went for the GTS, but Nigel countered and hit a GTS of his own for a near-fall. Nigel locks in a SICK LOOKING variation of the London Dungeon.. AND KENTA IS FORCED TO TAP OUT!

Match of the year, up until this point.

JACOBS OWNS

Reaction score
I Have to agree with you on the Ultimate endurance match it was well worked. although i'm getting tired of tyler always beating jimmy