ROH DVD Discussion/Ratings/Rankings

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

dark patriot

Reaction score
I wasnt that impressed with KENTA/Nigel.i mean it was good but the champ was just so beat up. I thought Nigel vs. Marufuji was better as well as the Steenerico/Wolves match from this show .

Soulpower

Got a shitload of recent ROH stuff to get through, here's some thoughts on what I've watched so far.

Tyler Black vs Jimmy Jacobs from The Hunt Begins (***)

Solid match between these two. They were able to counter most of their big moves, and make this an interesting match, despite the fact we've seen a TON of Jacobs/Black match-ups (Usually in tag matches) in these past couple of months. Tyler gets the win with a Superkick. The crowd for this match was TERRIBLE!

The American Wolves vs Bryan Danielson & Tyler Black from Tag Title Classic (****1/2)

This one definitely lived up to expectations. Both teams threw pretty much everything at each other, yet they still left enough for a rematch. Black hit God's Last Gift, but time expired as he went for the pin. MOTY Candidate, and arguably the best tag match I've seen this year.

Jerry Lynn vs Roderick Strong from A Cut Above (****)

The first half of this match is pretty uneventful... And then Roderick takes a bump (Face first) into the guardrail and is busted WIDE open. Strong just loses a TON of blood, and to his credit does a great job of selling (Though his dizziness might have been legit) and continuing on with the match. Lynn gets the win after hitting a 2nd Cradle Piledriver.

Jay Briscoe vs Roderick Strong from Tag Title Classic (***1/2)

Not as good as their match from Stylin and Profilin, but still a good match. Once again it was a hard hitting affair, and Briscoe got the win with a sneaky pin.

ROH has been on a roll as of late with their shows. Most of them are having either MOTY candidates, and even those that don't turn out to be good overall shows.

JACOBS OWNS

Reaction score
I dont know why they make jacobs look like he cant beat tyler black at all unless he has brodie lee helping him.

chessarmy

chessarmy's ROH DVD Review of the week

Yes ladies and gentlemen, the man who usually logs on here to support TNA has decided to take ROH under his wing, after realizing just how kickass Ring Of Honor really is, I bought a shitload of DVDs and will now review each and every one every week right here in the ROH section. Enjoy.

These aren't really full out move by move reviews, its just general thoughts on every match along with a star rating and an overall rating for the DVD. I hope this helps some of you that are looking to buy an ROH DVD but can't find out which one.

So, for the inaugural edition of my review of the week, we have ROH Contention.

Colt Cabana, Necro Butcher & Grizzly Redwood vs. The Embassy (Jimmy Rave, Claudio Castagnoli, & Ernie Osiris): This was a fun little comedy match to open up the show. I loved how Colt Cabana decided to take off his shoes to fit in with Necro and Grizzly Redwood. Also, during the match, there was a huge bee that somehow got into the arena. Colt Cabana smashed it, and then Necro Butcher (that sick fuck), ate the damn thing. It was pretty awesome actually lol. Overall though, this was a fun match to start off the show.

Match rating: ** 3/4

Shawn Spears vs. Alex Payne: Not much to say about this one, Spears was definitely put over well for his debut. The crowd seemed to respect him more and more as the match went on. This was just kinda...there, but like I said, Spears was put over nicely so thats good.

Match rating: **

Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny King with Rhett Titus: Am I the only one that loves Rhett Titus' "Addicted To Love" gimmick? lol. This was a pretty good match, the crowd was HOT for Danielson (as usual). There was a point where Titus started singing his own theme music for absolutely no reason, which was hilarious. Kenny King continues to impress me every time I see him, he has the right character and I think he can go somewhere in ROH eventually.

Match rating: ***

Kevin Steen & El Generico vs. The Young Bucks: This was AWESOME, match of the night for sure. The Young Bucks have loads of potential and they definitely showed it here, this match had tons of false finishes, lots of great spots, and most of all, it was so exciting you just couldn't look away! Great stuff, worth the purchase of the DVD alone.

Match rating: ****

Four Corner Survival: Austin Aries vs. Roderick Strong vs. Eddie Edwards vs. D-Lo Brown: D-Lo, Aries, and Edwards were supposed to work as a team but we all know what happens when its every man for himself, the team deteriorates. This was a fun match, it started off as basically a 3 on 1 but it slowly evolved into a 4 way brawl. The finish was a bit odd, considering that Aries was the next challenger for the World Title and it would have made sense to make him look strong going into the big match, but Prazak (who was awesome on this show btw) made a good excuse for it, saying Aries was just saving himself for the World Title match.

Match rating: ***

Sonjay Dutt vs. Jimmy Jacobs: It was really cool to see Sonjay in ROH, at least he wasn't doing that shitty guru gimmick lol. This match probably could have been a lot better, but there were still come cool spots which I've come to expect anytime Sonjay's in the ring. Match didn't live up to it's full potential, but for the time they gave it, it was still enjoyable enough. Jacobs ended up getting the win which shocked me a little bit, but they wanted to make him look strong going into Manhattan Mayhem which is understandable

Davey Richards vs. Jay Briscoe: This was pretty much a good ol' fashioned brawl. Lots of back and forth action, lots of finisher attempts, and just a solid match all around. Nothing too special, but definitely solid.

Non Title Match: Jerry Lynn vs. Tyler Black: This was a tremendous way to end the show, even if it was a non title match. I kind of feel bad for Tyler Black though, he seems to always win when the title isn't on the line, but lose when it is lol. Jerry Lynn continues to prove he can hang with the young guys here, btw, there were LOTS of snap mares in this match. The crowd was popping loudly for every snap mare, it was fucking hilarious. They even teased a snap mare from the top rope but it never happened. Tyler Black got the victory, the match was right down the middle and it was lots of fun.

Match rating: *** 3/4

Overall thoughts: This DVD was good for what it was, a set up for the Manhattan show. We still got two awesome matches with Lynn/Black and Steen and Generico/The Young Bucks, a long with some good matches like Daniels/King and the 4 corner survival match. The crowd was awesome the whole night, they were constantly marking out for the snap mares which seemed to be a common theme the whole show :laugh:. Overall, ROH Contention was a fun show that kept me entertained from start to finish. Is it worth the money? I think so, but you should probably buy the Manhattan show as well since Contention was the set up for it. I recommend the Contention DVD to anyone who's looking for some exciting wrestling action, mixed in with lots of crowd interaction and some comedy.

Overall rating: 7.5

Soulpower

Good review. Though I have to mention that there's a thread for DVD review/thoughts >_>

It seems that the Bucks are becoming (Or have already become) the hottest tag team in the indy scene... If not wrestling in general.

chessarmy

^ oh, wow, I honestly didn't mean to come off as a big attention whore for posting a brand new thread just for me lol, feel free to move it where it belongs.

Soulpower

I don't mind.. It actually brought some attention to this forum :shifty:

Soulpower

Everything I've been hearing is that Contention is just as good, if not better than Manhattan Mayhem III. I'm about to watch MM III now, so expect a review in the near future.

Soulpower

Let's get this started.

Rhett Titus & Kenny King vs The Young Bucks (***1/2)

Great F'N opener. Both teams delivered a shitload of great double team moves and the match was incredibly fast-paced all throughout. The Bucks get the win with the More Bang for Your Buck. These kids really remind me of a more athletic version of the Hardys (Right down to the old-school Hardy tights).

Necro Butcher vs Jimmy Rave (**)

I've gotten tired of Necro's act. Hell, he's been practically invincible these last couple of months. Necro gets the win, but gets his leg injured by The Embassy post-match.

Jimmy Jacobs vs Tyler Black (First Blood Match) (**1/2)

Can't go any higher than **1/2 due to the short length of the match (The extra half is for the post-match activities). Jacobs wins after busting Tyler open with a screwdriver. Post-Match, Black hits The Buckle Bomb and a Superkick and Jacobs, and decides to cash in his title shot, making the ME a triple threat match.

Beer Money Army

7th Year Anniversary

Rhett Titus & Kenny King vs. Roderick Strong & Erick Stevens. 4/10
Brent Albright vs. Claudio Castagnoli. 6/10
Adam Pearce vs. Bobby Dempsey. 0/10
Jerry Lynn vs. Mike Quackenbush 4/10
Tyler Black, Delirious & Necro Butcher vs. Austin Aries & The Age of the Fall 5/10
Bryan Danielson & Colt Cabana vs. Bison Smith & Jimmy Rave 6/10
D-Lo Brown vs. Jay Briscoe 4/10
Kevin Steen & El Generico vs. The American Wolves 7/10
Nigel McGuinness vs. KENTA 7/10

supercard of honor 4
Erick Stevens vs. Rhett Titus. 4/10
Chris Hero, Eddie Edwards & Incognito vs. Kevin Steen, Jay Briscoe & Magno. 4/10
Roderick Strong vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima 5/10
El Generico vs. Blue Demon Jr. vs. Claudio Castagnoli vs. Brent Albright. 4/10
Bryan Danielson vs. Alex Kozlov 6/10
D-Lo Brown vs. Colt Cabana 4/10
KENTA vs. Davey Richards 9/10
Tyler Black & Necro Butcher vs. Austin Aries & Jimmy Jacobs 5/10
Nigel McGuinness vs. Jerry Lynn 7/10

Montana

Nigel vs. Kenta 7 out of 10???

I take it you don't like the Pearce era of ROH.

Beer Money Army

for a no armed wrestler Nigel, Did very well and showed he was more than a series of lariats wrestler with his great mat wrestling. But for me Kenta seemed a little toned down in the match as to his other ROH appearances.

If Nigel was 100% healthy, This match could of suceeded so much better, but unfortunely it didn't. But still a good Match.

I got nothing wrong with the match itself. just Nigel was pretty limited due to his biceps. But i just feel it was a 7/10.

-----

As for Pearce Booking, it has it's ups and downs. I really enjoy the American Wolves, But i feel Davey Richards needs to be more of an Top Contender Singles wrestler. He has the build/look for being marketable, He just needs help in his promos and i can see why they had larry sweeney with him in 2008.

The Age of The Fall/Austin Aries/Necro Butcher/Delirious matches are pretty much the same kind of standard match as the one before, I am not sure if you think highly of them. But they are average. That GBH 7 steel cage warfare was just a big Booking Mess and confusion.

I just hope now Pearce Booking depth has improve greatly, Because Some shows are slumping down.

but so Far Davey Richards Vs Kenta is ROH 2009 Match of The Year imo.

Montana

Yeah, i agree about Richards after last night vs. Aries. I had my doubts for some reason, not that i didn't think he wasn't talented enough, it was more of a timing issue. But they tore the house down. Richards got probably the loudest reaction any ROH wrestler got in Detroit. (not bad for a heel) I think Aries vs. RIchards will give Richards vs Kenta a run for its money for MOTY. Sounds like they might call the show world title classic II.

Montana

2009 Show Ratings

213. Full Circle - Manassas, VA 1/16/09 7/10

214. Injustice II - 1/17/09 7.5/10

215. Motor City Madness 2009 - Detroit, MI 1/30/09 6.5/10

216. Caged Collision - Chicago Ridge, IL 1/31/09 7.5/10

217. Proving Ground 2009: Night 1 - Coral Springs, FL 2/6/09 7.75/10

218. Proving Ground 2009: Night 2 - Orlando, FL 2/7/09 7.75

219. Eliminating the Competition - Danbury, CT 2/27/09 6.5/10

220. Stylin' & Profilin - Collinsville, IL 3/13/09 7.5/10

221. Insanity Unleashed - Indianapolis, IN 3/14/09 6.5/10

222. Steel City Clash - Elizabeth, PA 3/20/09 7.75/10

223. 7th Anniversary Show - New York, NY 3/21/09 8.75/10

224. Supercard of Honor IV - Houston, TX 4/3/09 9/10

225. Take No Prisoners 2009 - Houston, TX 4/4/09 8.5/10

226. The Hunt Begins - Montreal, QC 4/17/09 ( 9/10)
227. Tag Title Classic - Markham, ON 4/18/09 ( 9/10)

228. A Cut Above - Dayton, OH 4/24/09 8.25

229. The Homecoming II - Chicago Ridge, IL 4/25/09 8/10

230. Never Say Die - Boston, MA 5/8/09 7.75/10

231. Validation - Edison, NJ 5/9/09 - N/A

232. Contention - Manassas, VA 6/12/09 7.5/10

233. Manhattan Mayhem III - New York, NY 6/13/09 8.75/10

234. Violent Tendencies - Detroit, MI 6/26/09 8.75/10

235. End of an Age - Chicago Ridge, IL 6/27/09 9/10

236. Death Before Dishonor VII: Night 1 - Toronto, ON 7/24/09 7.0/10

ROH has had it's ups and downs this year as you can see.

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
Just ordered w/ 50% off...

All 4 Final Countdown Shows
Death Before Dishonor weekend
End of An Age
Manhattan Mayhem

for about $90 w/ shipping. Great deal. hopefully it can spark my interest in ROH again.