ROH DVD Discussion/Ratings/Rankings

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

JACOBS OWNS

Reaction score
when wil;l you be reviewing final battle 2008

Just saw All star extravaganza Iv And i thought it was a good show in my opinion

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

when wil;l you be reviewing final battle 2008

Just saw All star extravaganza Iv And i thought it was a good show in my opinion

Monty has a review a few posts up reviewing it. I should get my hands on some more DVD's in a few weeks, so expect a review on it from me around then.

Montana

Just finished watching ROH's first show of 2009 Full Circle from Virginia. The was was alright. The changes that Pearce is trying to include are made pretty clear on this show. We are seeing more Heel/Face action. Lots more playing to the crowd, which in turn, slows down the match. Not too much in the way storylines/promos on this show. Mostly just the matches. Showtime was about 2 hours and 18 minutes as well.

1. Brent Albright & Erick Stevens vs. Chris Escobar & Damian Wayne

Average opener. Esco and Wayne looked alright. Kind of odd to use the locals as heels but anways something to get the show going. 2.0

2. Rhett Titus vs. Sean Denny

Sean Denny surprised me in this one. He looked pretty good. This match wasn't the smoothest, but not that bad. Better than i expected. 2.0

3. Delirious vs. Necro Butcher

Another Typical Necro/Delirous match. Necro toned down the hardcore a little, but the match went well. Daisey popped her head in. 2.5

4. Jay Briscoe & Roderick Strong vs. Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards

Now the show started. I liked Davey Richards stiffing Jay Briscoe for not letting him get control of the match. I really liked this one. Probably my personel fav. Just old school ROH. Short n Sweet 3.25

5. Jerry Lynn vs. Austin Aries

The New Austin Aries. Good match, however Aries was playing to crowd every 5 seconds. Got a little annoying. 3.0

6. Bryan Danielson vs. Jimmy Jacobs

Good example of the Face/Heel matchup here, and really every match on the show. Good back and fourth action. Good selling. Not as good as unscripted III, but still a solid match 3.25

7. Nigel McGuinness vs. Tyler Black (Non Title Match)

The big rematch from 2008. Good match, but not great. They hit their moves, they did lots of psychology and did the heel/face thing real well here. What you would expect. Left you wanting more, so i guess its good theres a rematch on the next show 3.5

Overall 7/10

A good lineup of matches, however if you are used to the older style ROH, the first few matches will have you going WTF. It was a little shorter show. For the lineup they had, i thought the matches could have been a little better. Seemed kinda slow paced. Entertaining show none the less.

Beer Money Army

Southern Navigation 2008

Chris Hero Vs Pelle Primeau.. *1/2 better than what i expected...

titus/sterling vs franklin/danny *1/2 Meh wasn't good, I was glad that it was over..

4 Corner Survival (Nigel McGuinness vs. Brent Albright vs. Claudio Castagnoli vs. Damien Wayne) ... *** It was good for what it was, But it's just a meaningless 4 corner match as roh usually do...

Austin Aries vs erick stevens **1/2 very dissappointed in this match, I was pumped for it, but with it ended in under 7 mins.. i was dissappointed due to the fact stevens was being push in 2008 he did not deserve this.. seemed very rushed aswell..

Jack evans Vs Necro **1/2

Necro punches are awesome, thats one thing i love about necro, he must of trained very hard to make there punches look so great, while Jack evans does his flashy moves that i have seem in the past couple years.. there good but i love psychology and pin point accuracy on basic rather doing unneccesy flashy moves.. (wasn't happy on length either)

Jimmy Jacobs Vs Jay Briscoe ***

better than what i expected due to the fact briscoes do not know how to sell, sort of similiar to team 3D with selling.. Jacobs shows alot to his character in this match and that was very nice of him...

Danielson Vs tyler Black ****

very quality match here, I havent seen there 1st encounter.. But this match truly shows you what Tyler black can be with more age into him.. Danielson well he is really awesome now in future time in him his skills can be par with bret hart and Chris benoit... really great match..

Team NOAH Vs NRC ****

this is what a 6 man tag should be.. There stayed pretty basic and it work very very effectly.. The length could hurt in some people minds, but the 6 could work very well with each other.. great main event

Overall in a %: 55% (a solid show by ROH, yeah some downers on a few matches but the last 2 matches are great as).

Northern Navigation 2008...

Hero vs Ruckus **

Nice action for it time, But i am not a fan of Ruckus offense work, he needs to work more on basic rather all those flashy moves..

Delirious vs Omega **1/2

I havent seen omega before, he seems decent in this match.. Nice lil match between the 2 tho.. this loss shouldnt hurt omega...

SDR vs Blake *

very short match, not much to really say, once you start to get into it, it finishes..

Erick Stevens vs Go shizoaki ***1/2

Great Match, TLD made me knock it down, But in reality the tld works for them as ROH is building both up.. Plus this TLD can make a rival for the 2 which is always nice.. Nice booking by ROH here...

Danielson vs Claudio ****

Danielson's counter was tremendous.. just like the match.. Fans were siding with danielson.. but i dont blame them cause danielson ROH career is very well docutment as Claudio is just the Hey Guy.. But claudio is good as well... i reckon these 2 could top this match...

Strong Vs Marufuji ***1/2

Marufuji hair is wacky.. really nice match, but i feel either man didnt wanna go all out yet.. i think both men can top this match.. Good match tho..

Nigel vs Steen ****

this Match went for 30 Mins, but there was some brutal shit in this, I was going make it higher but i felt Steen didn't put much selling to his back from that slam to the ring apron that look brutal.. But nigel was too good once again.. pby the best kevin steen singles match i have seen..

Jay/aries Vs jacobs/black ***

Not as good as i thought it could of been, But it was pretty much anything AOTf vs briscoes do just minus mark and add aries.. (once again briscoes selling problem. I like briscoes but the selling style is very Team 3D style) The earn your keep part was alright i guess, But i am not a fan of alot of interferes in matches unless it is booked very correctly...

% for this show: 58%.. very solid show.. Nigel vs Steen should of been main event tho.. Great to see Lance storm tho, he looks in better shape than ever..

it makes me think what a match would be between lance storm and Ricky steamboat could of been...

next shows to Post DBD 6 and tokyo summit 2008

Montana

Injustice II

1. Brent Albright vs. Rhett Titus 2.0

2. Necro Butcher vs. Delirious vs. Damian Wayne vs. Sean Denny (Four Corner Survival) 2.75

3. Austin Aries vs. Jay Briscoe vs. Jimmy Jacobs (Three Way Match) 3.0

4. Roderick Strong & Erick Stevens vs. Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards (Lumberjack Strap Match) 3.25

5. Grizzly Redwood vs. Chris Escobar Dud

6. Bryan Danielson vs. Jerry Lynn 3.5

7. Nigel McGuinness vs. Tyler Black (ROH World Title Match) 4.25

Decent show. More storyline driven, however not everything made a lot of sense. The Title match was a good match. Booked a little crazy with all the false finishes, but nice job by Black/Nigel. Kept the match pretty fresh until the end. Danielson/Lynn was a good match, but not as good as the first. Everything else was ok. 7.5/10 Not really worth buying, but worth checking out.

Beer Money Army

DEath before dishonor 6 (quick rating)

1 briscoes vs Ruckus/jigsaw 1.5
2 hero vs delirious 2.5
3. strong vs eddie edwards 2.5
4. pearce vs albright 4.5 (match of the night)
5. aries vs necro vs jacobs 2
6 marufuji vs shiozaki 4
7. mcmg vs steen/generico 3.5
8. 4 way 4

overall % rating: 61%

very solid show, will love to see another rematch of shiozaki/marufuji.. nearly everything was pin point accuracy and they both sold well.. pearce vs albright was just off the hook, MCMg's Vs Steen/generico was a bit dissappointting with very poor ref job as well...

next show will be Tokyo Summit

Montana

Steenerico vs. MCMG only 3.5??? Most the ratings i see for that are 4.0.

Motor City Madness (Revisted)

Live thoughts on the show

1) Bryan Danielson defeats Rhett Titus
- Titus should not be in the ring with Dragon. This match went too long. 2.75

2) Austin Aries defeats Silas Young
- Aries is trying so hard to be hated, and he's just a better face. His wrestling style as a heel puts you to sleep. 2.5

3) Brodie Lee vs. Necro Butcher ends in a double count
- Ehh, decent brawl...wasn't really a match.

4) Roderick Strong & Erick Stevens defeat Jimmy Jacobs & Delirious

Solid match, 3.0

5) Claudio Castagnoli defeats Brent Albright via disqualification.

Decent, till another poor finish. 2.75

6) Tyler Black and Jerry Lynn wrestle to a twenty minute draw.
Very good match, nothing great. 3.5-3.75

7) Nigel McGuinness defeats Jay Briscoe
- WEAK, Nigel got like one lariat in. This match was over right when it started to get good. 3.25

8) ROH World Tag Team Championships: Kevin Steen & El Generico defeat Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards

3.75 pretty good, nothing out of this world. What you would expect from these guys in a main event spot.

Overall the show was weak. The crowd was DEAD, and the wrestlers were playing to crowd the whole time. THe problem was the wrestlers weren't doing ANY wrestling to get the crowd into the show. There was a million headlocks and armbars. There's a lack of nearfalls in the undercard matches now. I'd say ROH needs to go back to the basics, and soon. You didn't leave with that normal ROH feeling.

( I'd probably say the main event was MOTYN, but if Lynn/Black got 5 more minutes, than that could have been)

After re-watching....I was a little harsh, but still agree with just about everything i said. The crowd apparently wasn't dead, the crowd was actually pretty hot i thought. ALthough they edited a few Bullshit chants, and the fans starting chanting 5 more minutes with a minute left in Black/Lynn (very predictable) This was still a pretty entertaining show, despite the lack of good matches. The promos weren't that great. Not sure why they had Jay Briscoe trying to justify his singles wrestler career, and then was basically squashed by Nigel.

I can see where newer fans could enjoy this show, so maybe my "weak" reaction to the show is unjust. But I was just expecting more.

6.75/10

Beer Money Army

Steenerico vs. MCMG only 3.5??? Most the ratings i see for that are 4.0.

I just felt it wasn't as good as people say it to be.. But i don't rates things as .25 or .75.. either .0 or .5, some people might say 3.5 or 4.0, but i feel it was a 3.5..

I seen some reviewers given it ***1/2 or ***3/4.

But i guess i could view it again and see if it could change my mind.

Montana

Proving Ground 2009 Night 1 (6 of 8 matches)

Well, I just finished watching most of the dvd, as what was provided for download. Not a bad show. This was pretty good, consider a lackluster card. The crowd was small, but hot.

Kenny King, Rhett Titus & Chasyn Rance vs. Roderick Strong, Erick Stevens & Bobby Dempsey

3.25; This match was pretty good. The YRR is normally pretty good, Dempsey came off looking solid. I also really enjoy Stevens/Strong working as a team. They should have had some title shots against Steenerico.

Necro Butcher vs. Austin Aries

3.0 Fun match, Aries doing Ram Jam. Necro being the bully, and aries being the cocky, chicken heel. Worked well.

The Age of The Fall (Jimmy Jacobs & Delirious) vs. Bryan Danielson & Jerry Lynn

3.0, decent nothing special here.

Non-Title Match
Nigel McGuinness vs. Brent Albright

3.75 Another quality match. What i liked best about this match, was that it left you wanting more. The strategy early with the rope break, would have set up nicely for a Pure Rules rematch.

Non-Title Match
Kevin Steen & El Generico vs. Dark City Fight Club (Jon Davis & Kory Chavis)

3.5, A great debut for the DCFC. I can see these guys having some serious wars in ROH. Jon Davis is pretty awesome.

Davey Richards vs. Tyler Black

4.0, Why was this the main event? Good match, im fine with that, but what has either of these guys done in their careers to really earn a match event spot. I thought Nigel vs Brent should have ended the show, even though it was a non-title match. Richards/Black don't even have a fued going. I guess you could say its two of the hottest young stars in ROH. But didn't exactly tear the roof off the place. Idk, i just thought it was a little odd.

All in all, I'd say this was a 8/10 and the best ROH show so far this year that has been released. I didn't really see any the promos, or the first two matches, but from what i saw, this looked like ROH pre-pearce, as far as guys effort in the ring. I guess "Proving Ground" is a suitable title, because it seemed like everyone gave a good effort on this show.

Soulpower

Why was this the main event? Good match, im fine with that, but what has either of these guys done in their careers to really earn a match event spot?

Nothing, and that's the point. The show is called Proving Ground, Davey-Black being in the main event (Over Nigel) is done so that they can prove to the fans that they're worthy of the main event. It fits with the theme of the show.

Montana

Yeah, i was kinda getting at that with the two young talents, but IDK. I didnt like it. I could see if they had a fued going or something, but it just seemed very random.

Soulpower

^^^By the way, have you seen any of the matches from night 2 (They were posted in the media section)?

I'll admit, I was pleasantly surprised by Nigel vs D'Lo, thought I didn't like the finish.

Montana

Yeah...to beat a dead horse .... I also thought Davey vs Danielson on night 1 would have been a better suited main event. What did Black really have to prove against Davey?

and Yes i did see Nigel vs D-Lo, and it had some very entertaining moments (especially the mic slap) I'll post my thoughts on the show soon. Just have to watch Dragon vs Generico. I gave Nigel vs D-Lo 3.5 stars, pretty good for the time they had. But like you mentioned, sloppy finish. Unless dragon/generico is out of this world, i still liked night one better.

Montana

Proving Ground 2009 Night Two (6 of 9 matches)

Pretty good show, considing they used a lot of new faces to ROH. Certainly the Bryan Danielson vs El Generico match is a stand-out and my favorite ROH match of the year so far this year. This show also featured the debut of D-Lo Brown in ROH.

Davey Richards vs. Kevin Steen

2.5, fun little match. What you would expect in 10-12 minutes.

The Age of The Fall (Jimmy Jacobs & Delirious) vs. Necro Butcher & Tyler Black
2.75, Another AOTF vs AOTF former members match. The first half was quite boring, but nice spots at the end. Poor finish.

Austin Aries vs. Brad Attitude

2.75, First chance i've had to see Brad Attitude, who's a solid wrestler. Has a somewhat generic jock look to him, but he had a few nice moves up his sleeve. A Double, was the what you've come to expect. Nice little match.

Roderick Strong, Erick Stevens & Brent Albright vs. Dark City Fight Club (Jon Davis & Kory Chavis) & Francisco Ciatso

3.5, This was action packed and exciting. I've said it before, but i really like both Stevens + Strong on the same team, and DCFC. For the time this was given it was spot on. Theres a real nice POUNCE on the outside. Look out for that.

Bryan Danielson vs. El Generico

4.5 - This match was insane. The crowd was going wild for abotu 25 minutes straight. This match featured not only some great wrestling, but some fun entertainment to go with it. Back and forth. I'd rate this on par with Undertaker vs HBK. Both these matches were about complete opposites, but the ROH faithful made this match seem, almost just as important as HBK/Taker. Tough to compare the two, but so far i'd this is ROH's best match of 2009, besting out Nigel vs Tyler at Injustice II.

ROH World Championship
Nigel McGuinness (c) vs. D-Lo Brown

3.5 this was another real good match. The opening promo was funny. I laughed my ass off when D-Lo slapped the microphone to the floor. They seemed to rush the match a little bit. Big spot with the Sky high off the top. They did a lot of things right in this match, however they did it in about 15 minutes.

Overall 7.75/10 To me this undercard didn't satisfy as well at night one. Danielson vs. Generico was epic, but overall it couldn't save the undercard. Very close to night one though. I guess it all depends on what you like. If you want to see a one great match, or a bunch of good matches. None the less, another solid effort by ROH on Proving Ground Night 2.

Soulpower

Only 2.5 for Davey vs Steen?

I would give it at least *** due to Davey working over Steen's leg, and Steen actually selling (To the point where he couldn't apply the Sharpshooter).

I do agree with Danielson vs Generico (**** at least), and I liked how Bison's run-in didn't play all that much into the result of the match. Besides, we saw the BRAINBUSTAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Which is always good.