ROH DVD Discussion/Ratings/Rankings

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Teel614

Reaction score
I agree with the above poster on Age of Insanity, It is a fun show especially McGuiness vs Generico definitely the match of the night.

Montana

Just finished watching Glory By Honor 7, and this DVD really doesn't need much hype. A star studded lineup featuring a load of 3+ star matches. There wasn't anything out of this world great on this show, but about 3 matches at or near the four star range. (Steel cage/ nigel vs. Generico / danielson vs. Nakajima) Then the show featured some pleasent surprises. Shoizaki and Steen was a really good match, and that kinda surprised me. Everything else was solid. Probably a top 5 dvd this year.

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
I picked up Escalation over the weekend, and I saw a little bit of Samoa Joe vs Black. I never got to finish the match, but it was pretty good. But what surprised me was how good the camera angles were. It really made ROH look professional, which is good for the PPV they filmed. they've been using bigger cameras lately too, and that means an upgrade on production.

comicgeekelly

Reaction score
Glory By Honor 7 was an awesome show. I didn't really care for the clip package at the end. I think that it should have had some kind of music behind the clips, without the music it seemed like it was missing something. Besides that this was a great show. Albright vs. Pearce was much better than I expected it to be.

Soda Popinski

Reaction score
Just finished watching Glory By Honor 7, and this DVD really doesn't need much hype. A star studded lineup featuring a load of 3+ star matches. There wasn't anything out of this world great on this show, but about 3 matches at or near the four star range. (Steel cage/ nigel vs. Generico / danielson vs. Nakajima) Then the show featured some pleasent surprises. Shoizaki and Steen was a really good match, and that kinda surprised me. Everything else was solid. Probably a top 5 dvd this year.

Very fair review. I was at this show. It was really good..the false finish was awesome with Generico & Nigel.

Soulpower

Finished watching Nigel vs Aries vs Black from Escalation.

Ehh, this was average. They followed the usual triple threat formula, with two guys wrestling, while the 3rd guy (In this case, Nigel) just stood around doing nothing.

Not really worth going out of your way to watch this match, all in all, a pretty underwhelming main event. Also, Tyler Black's punches and forearm strikes look very weak.

Match Enjoyment Rating:**3/4

Soulpower

Just a note to start. My rating on the matches is based on how much I enjoyed it, and not the quality of the match.

The Age of The Fall (Jacobs & Delirious) vs Kevin Steen & El Generico (ROH-Escalation)

This wasn't your usual ROH tag match. In other words, we didn't get a barrage of big moves at the end, and perhaps because of that, I really liked this match. It started off a bit slow, but AoTF take over using some heel shenanigans, leading to Generico play the face in peril throughout the match. Finish comes when Rhett Titus comes out and distracts Delirious (Who was going for Shadows Over Hell), leading to Steen hitting the Pump-Handle Neckbreaker for the win.

Match Enjoyment Rating:***

Solid tag match which followed a simple (but effective) formula, and it worked.

Bryan Danielson vs Claudio Castagnoli (ROH-Escalation)

DAMN!! Great match. Started off quick with some great brawling on the outside by both men. They got back in the ring and we got a more conventional wrestling match between the two. Danielson's leg ends up hung on the ropes, and Claudio uses that opening to take over the match (CC even manages to lock in the Danielson surfboard). Danielson gets the win after countering The Ricola Bomb into a Small Package.

Match Enjoyment Rating:****

Great match, with Claudio doing a lot of leg work, and Danielson doing a fine job of selling it (Even struggling to lock in the Cattle Mutilation). Some people might not like the sudden finish, but the post-match happenings made up for that.

Montana

I'll add some more quick show reviews.

Return of the 187: Decent show. The first half was a little weak, but the show flowed nicely and was pretty entertaining. Lynn/Cluadio was similar to put you would expect from them. I was surprised by Aries/Go. That was a great match. I dont know why i am always surprised when Go has a really good match. I'd say thats abotu 3.75. The main event was about the same. I thought the iron man could have been booked a little better. All in all, solid show. 7.5/10

Ring of Homicide II: I liked this show a little better. The Chikara wrestlers was a fun entertaining way to start it off. Some solid midcard matches. They made the Briscoes/LAX match seem epic. I really enjoyed the main event as well. I'd say it was about 4 stars, but not much in the high ratings on this show. Still very enjoyable. 8/10

The French Connection: This is the first show of the Pearce era, so i put on my extra critical cap. I don't mind the adjustments so much, but i dont think the adjustments have come off, as well they would have liked them too. (annoucning, 20 count, fist punching, wrestling style) It's not that i didn't like the show; but now i almost feel ROH no longer has the "IT" factor. They've lost the special feeling i guess. Highlights on this show were Strong/Richards, Team Work vs AOTF, and the championship match. All in the 3.5, 3.75 range. So a lot of decent stuff, nothing great.
7/10

Bound by Hate Again, similar to French Connection, ROH kinda has lost something. I thought they was a very good show, but it almost didn't feel right. Aries/Jacobs Dog collar was great, The Danielson/Black/Omega match was Awesome. And the main event was solid with Briscoes vs. Steenerico. These matchups didn't seem as "special" as it could have been, but none the less, Good show.
8.5/10

Escalation: This show felt short. I didnt have a stopwatch with me, but i dont think any of these matches went over 16 minutes. On a positive note, The show was pretty entertaining top to bottom. The bad news is there were no great matches. The best was probably Danielson/Cluadio, and that was only about 3.5 stars. I thought their other matches were much better. The main event didnt have the main event feel. I see why they added Joe/Black to this show.
7/10

Beer Money Army

I just finished watching ROH/FWA - Frontiers of honor 2003....

Probably the worst show of ROH's i have ever seen..

camera work terrible, No commentry, not all roh came out to there ROH song, More FWA than ROH talent, Alot of matches were just meaningless...

Best match was opener Paul london vs James tighte it was about **1/2...

There was a group of Jobber called "the Family", they came out to burning crossers.. (i thought they were on a :native: hunt)

Katie Lee burchil debut on a ROH show in a ECW style hardcore brawl....

But the camera work really bring the show down as well..

the show on a percentage % rating out of 100%: 32% If your best match is going be **1/2 then you got problems

Next to Watch is ROH - Do Or die 2003 and Glory By honor VI Night 1

Soulpower

Just finished watching Danielson vs Morishima from Final Battle 2008.

First thing that stood out.. The shirt Morishima was wearing. Why? Because I have it :D

As for the actual match, WOW! I won't spoil anything, but in terms of match enjoyment, I give it *****. In terms of match quality, its still great, so I'll go with ****1/2 and call it a great way to finish this feud.

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
Just finished watching Danielson vs Morishima from Final Battle 2008.

First thing that stood out.. The shirt Morishima was wearing. Why? Because I have it :D

As for the actual match, WOW! I won't spoil anything, but in terms of match enjoyment, I give it *****. In terms of match quality, its still great, so I'll go with ****1/2 and call it a great way to finish this feud.

Did they show that match on NOAH or something? because I know that the DVD didn't come out yet.

The drama of the match really built it up. Just with the backstory of the feud and how they wanted to kill each other gave the match a big match feel. it was the first time I saw an ROH match that had the Wrestlemania feel to it. I want to see the match on video bad to see if it was just as good as I saw it live.

Soulpower

^^^ Yeah, NOAH released that match along with Nigel vs Marufuji and The Briscoes vs Sasaki-Nakajima

Check your PM's if you want the download links.

Montana

I got got the two final shows of 2008 and i must say am i very pleased with these shows.

All Star Extravaganza IV

Kenny Omega vs. Rhett TItus

2.75, good fun match. Nice intro to the show.

Erick Stevens vs Chris Hero.

Solid match. 3.0

Sasaki + Nakajima vs. Strong + Albright

Awesome match, I'll have to watch this again, but i really enjoyed this match.
3.5, if not better

Morishima vs. Go

Another very solid matchup. 3.5,

Wolves vs. Briscoes vs. Nigel + Cluadio

Another very good matchup. 3.5, if not better

Marufuji vs. Aries

Good match, could have been slightly better, but maybe thats just because the previous matches were so good. 4.0

AOTF vs. Necro + STeenerico

Fun matchup 3.25

Bryan Danielson vs. Jerry Lynn

4.25, nice way to end the show.

You could tell ROH had the mindset to go out and put on a amazing show. There was pretty much no filler on this show. Well paced. No complaints here. OVerall show score 9.00-.25/10 (very good for a Friday show)

=====================================================

Final Battle 2008

Omega vs. Claudio

2.75 Another good fun opener. Makes you want to see more of Omega. Cladio played a great heel.

Necro vs. Hero vs. Lynn vs. TItus

Wow, this was very entertaining. caught me by surprise 3.25-3.5

AOTF vs. Steenerico

Solid stuff here. 3.0

Sweet n Sour vs. Albright, Strong, stevens street fight

Good match 3.5

Sasaki + Nakajima vs. Briscoes

I really like the team of Sasaki + Nakajima. Mark was kinda injuried in the match but still came out pretty good. 4.0

Tyler Black vs. Austin Aries

3.75, Aries made black look like a star. The aftermath was good, but it did make it look like Jacobs and Aries were together. YOu couldnt see the fight in the crowd, but you could kinda hear the comotion.

Nigel vs. Marifuji

What we've come to expect from these guys. 4.25 Jerry Lynn challenges nigel and loses his mind. He was going nuts, it was kinda creepy. Didnt make much sense to me, Nigel already beat him twice, and Lynn is crying for another shot.

Danielson vs. Morishima

The epic blowoff match. Perfect way to end the fued. 4.5-4.75.

Overall very good show. Easy contender for top show of the year. Top 3 for sure. 9.5-.75/10 overall. Rated higher than ASE IV due to the meaning of the matches. I'd say this show is neck and neck with DBD 6. Depending on your taste, would be which is the better show. Although i thought the main event delivered better in FB. I thought the moments came off better in DBD.

Montana

Wrestling at the Gateway

Great crowd for this show. The show says its St. Louis, but yet its in Collinsville, IL. I found that odd and confusing, but anyway, this is a fun show. Nothing really to worth going out of your way to see. Entertaining none the less. Nice opener with Kenny King and Kenny Omega. A fun second matchup with Titus+Sal vs. Redwood BW Luke. The fourway tag match was solid. Just about everything was solid. Most of the final matchups were about 3.5. Aries/Black match of the night. The tag team main event was good, however not as action packed as one would think. This show was only about 135 minutes too. 7/10

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

Well I just finished up watching Northern Navigation a few days ago, so I'll give some thoughts even though SP has already done it.

Chris Hero vs Ruckus

Meh. Hero was always going to win against the guy with quite possibly the loosest offense in pro wrestling today. Hero looked good, Ruckus look like crap (like always) and the match was meh.

*1/2

Kenny Omega vs Delirious

OK, so I love Omega and Delirious is pretty awesome, so I was looking forward to this match. Omega hit some nice offense including an electric chair into German suplex type move that looked impressive. Delirious picked up the win in what was a good match, definitely an improvement from the opener.

Sara Del Rey vs Jobber

Del Rey wins easily in a shit match. The jobber tried the Kobashi chops, but they looked pathetic at best. Throw in a poor looking head scissors, and Del Rey squashed someone I wouldn't be too unhappy to never see again.

1/2*

Erick Stevens vs Go Shiozaki

Even though this went to a fifteen minute draw it was very good. Go's offense looked crisp and Stevens looked pretty good here. My only complaint (minus the time the match went, of course) was the finishing spot of a superplex. Seemed a little anti-climatic to me. Still, this match surpassed its expectations by a long way, because I was thinking **1/2 at best.

***1/2​

Bryan Danielson vs Claudio Castagnoli​

Dragon was insanely over, with the crowd cheering him for everything. CC got booed for doing AmDrag's I've got til five shtick, while Dragon got a huge pop for HEY~! Some very nice mat wrestling to begin with, and the match just continued to build up from there, with nice sequences of moves throughout. The ending felt like a fall could come at any time, and it did with a nice counter from AmDrag into the backslide for the win. A high quality match right here.

****1/4​

Naomichi Marafuji vs Roderick Strong​

Coming off the back of a sensational match, these two did a very good job. While it couldn't top the previous match, it was still very good. Again a hot finish with lots of near falls and the fighting spirit shtick. Quality match ending with Marafuji hitting the Shirauni (or however you spell it)/ Sliced Bread #2 to pick up the win.

****​

ROH WOrld Championship
Kevin Steen vs Nigel McGuinness (c)

This match had huge raps coming into it from everyone who had said something about it, so I was excited to see this. What followed was one of the biggest letdowns of a match I have ever seen. What it had was some pretty good spots (McGuinness military slamming Steen off the crowd barrier into the side of the ring was awesome) and what I felt was a lot of disjointed action. The finish felt like it was meant to build up, but then it just fizzled. Nigel finished it with a lariat off the top rope which looks shithouse, after Steen kicked out of the visually impressive jawbreaker lariat. Huge disappointment.

**1/2​

Jimmy Jacobs and Tyler Black vs Jay Briscoe and Austin Aries​

Awesome brawl right here, with Necro running in then Mark coming in to even the odds. The brawling was pretty insane and there was some really good storyline development between Necro and Jacobs. A hard hitting brawl that I thoughroughly enjoyed really. Half a star off for the kinda lacklustre finish (felt too sudden), and half a star off for the action being hard to keep up with.

****​

The match also had some fun bits qwith Lance Storm and Erick Stevens pwn'ing SnS, with STorm superkicking Hagodorn to a massive pop. Titus backstage segments were meh (his teeth really bug me), but it was still a solid show.

I'd recommend it for sure, because there were three very, very good matches on there as well as Go vs Erick.