ROCK vs cRAP

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
Holdon let me put it this way... How many times do u hear people listening to the song P.I.M.P by 50 cent? Never even though back when it came out you would find it coming out of everyones headset.

Now how many people still listen to the song Thunderstruck by AC/dc many many people now that song that was made 17 years ago is still listened to more than a very popular song that was made 4 years ago. Which proves how trendy rap is. People listen to a song for 3 months and they get sick of it.

Ok. Your claim is said but if you choose another 50 cent song from the same era, say In Da Club, still listened to. I actually still hear it on the radio. Or LL Cool J's My Radio is still on the radio. Also ACDC has songs that are not listened to very much any more or played on the radio. Like Money Talks or For those about to Rock. Those are songs you dont hear very much anymore. So your statement can go either way to help or hurt you claim. Either way, its hard to clearly make a determination here. It is all personal preference as people have said. Both genres will always be listened to. And I listen to both actually.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I'll say this. Main stream rap has less lyrical substance than mainstream rock. Therefore mainstream rap is terrible.

Defiant One

Reaction score
I'll say this. Main stream rap has less lyrical substance than mainstream rock. Therefore mainstream rap is terrible.

^ Not even a valid argument, by your logic I could say Underground Rap has more lyrical substance than underground rock. Therefore Underground rock is terrible.

Reaction score
I will say this. This thread is going to turn into a huge spam/flame fest. It is all personal preference and all the people making an arguement, even though I did as well. I was just saying that there are songs that people listen to for a long time and there are some they drop after three months. It is all personal preference, there is nothing more to it. But carry on.

Defiant One

Reaction score
(sigh) I'm not about to sit here and argue this. Its all a matter of personal opinion and preferences. To each his own.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
(sigh) I'm not about to sit here and argue this. Its all a matter of personal opinion and preferences. To each his own.

Its really not though. When your most popular artists mostly sing about bitches, money and posessions, while the other genre we speak of is more socially concerned and still has fun songs too, that is a glaring fact that shows that mainstream rap, which is really the amabassador of rap due to its popularity is terrible.

Defiant One

Reaction score
Dude MS your simply using stereotypes to identify rap. Not EVERY rappers raps about bitches and hoes. There are rappers who are just as if not MORE socially conscience than some of those in rock. If I wanted to sound like you I could sit here and say "Ever rock band sings about some ex girlfriend leaving them and blah blah blah" "and pain and death and" and a bunch of other bullshit but I'm NOT about to base an entire genre of music off of what a mere percentage do, unlike you.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Dude MS your simply using stereotypes to identify rap. Not EVERY rappers raps about bitches and hoes. There are rappers who are just as if not MORE socially conscience than some of those in rock. If I wanted to sound like you I could sit here and say "Ever rock band sings about some ex girlfriend leaving them and blah blah blah" "and pain and death and" and a bunch of other bullshit but I'm NOT about to base an entire genre of music off of what a mere percentage do, unlike you.

You seemed to miss the part where I said main stream rap didn't you. Or more likely you just chose to ignore that statement because it wouldn't fit in with your (lack of) argument.

JJdaBuckeye

Reaction score
oh....my....fucking....god....

i just wrote like an 8 paragraph post, and for some fucking reason, my computer deleted all of it and went back to page 2. im fucking pissed! that was an amazing post to.

ill just say the end.

Mainstream Rap- Fuck it
Mainstream Rock- Fuck most of it
Classic/Old School Rock- Nothing compares
Classic/Old School/ Underground Rap- Idk. Only heard a little, but it is etter than Mainstream

Defiant One

Reaction score
You seemed to miss the part where I said main stream rap didn't you. Or more likely you just chose to ignore that statement because it wouldn't fit in with your (lack of) argument.

Perhaps I overlooked it, but it still applies not every MAINSTREAM rapper raps about bitches and hoes. For example Outkast, Kanye West, Common, Eminem, Nas, LL Cool J, Mos Def and etc etc. I understand what your saying (or are trying to say)and part of me agrees (with a PORTION of your argument) of that mainstream rappers rap about a lot of Bullshit topics, but that doesn't mean that one is better than the other. Rock has more history than Rap, but like I said earlier its a matter of personal judgment as to which you prefer. You like rock and others like rap, and thats that.

Reaction score
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k204/randallel05/top5.jpg

If you click that link you will see that the top songs on the BillBoard top 100 are not Rap, or Rock. They are pop. But if you continue to look the first genre that reaches into the top 5 besides Pop is Rap at number 3. Then Plain White Ts whatever they are. Then an R&B song. If you go and look at the Top 100, after the Top 5 rounding out the top 10 is 5 more rap songs.

If you log onto Myspace and view their top artists page. 9 of the top 10 are rap artists. This just shows that it is personal preference, and that, well, the preference of most people is...RAP. So Rap > cROCK. But I listen to both :D

JJdaBuckeye

Reaction score
that doesnt mean shit.

that doesnt mean Shit is better than Rock. it means more people listen to it...and why do people listen to it...? because they think its cool. they want to be cool to fit in, and thats why most listen to them.

by saying "Plain White Ts, whatever they are" you might as well have said "i like rap, so i think everything rock is crap and that i dont give a shit"

your biased. everyone is baised. i think rap is shit. you think rock is shit.

but unless you actually listen to it, you cant say a shit. you dont know who the Plain White Ts are. Either that means you A. Live under a Rock B. ONLY listen to stations that play rap, or change it when rock comes on or C. You choose to overlook them, and pretend like they dont exist.

Like i said: Rap is the "Main Trend", so most people are going to listen to it. They think that its cool. However, if rock was the "Main Trend" i can GUAR-EN-DAMN-TEE that 50% of the people saying rock sucks, would be saying the EXACT oppositie, and be bagging on Rap. EVERYTHING IN THIS DAMN WORLD IS BIASED! IT IS FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE TO SAY (A) IS BETTER THAN (B).

Reaction score
WTF. I meant whatever Genre they are. I know who Plain White Ts are and I listen to them sometime. Also, I dont even listen to the radio. Im not going my the top lists. I listen to everything. What I am saying is that the BillBoard is based on radio play, purchases and all that. Myspace is based on hits. So people are buying Rap as 6 out of 10 of the Top 10 on the BillBoard top 100 are rap and the others are R&B, Pop, and one Rock if you consider Plain White Ts Rock. All I am saying with that is that more rap is being bought, listened to on the radio, and played on myspace. And the just wanting to be cool thing, I can agree with to some extent, but people listen and do things because they want to, saying they want to be cool is a sad attempt of a cop out.

Anyway, I am not biased. Because I listen to everything. And yes everyone is biased because it is ALL PERSONAL PREFERENCE.

Also JJ, you always say stuff like if it was switched around. We will never know because its not switched around, so that statement is well, nothing to stand on...

FlamesofFury

Reaction score
The little place in the back of your mind that you
Rock > Rap

There is more to listen to in Rock than Rap, you have nu Metal, Metal and Hard Rock where as in Rap it's I am going to talk about lip gloss or a Crayola crayon.

Rap is slowly dying and I am rejoicing over that and I certainly do dig that.

Rock (good):

Dimmu Borgir
Tool
A Perfect Circle
Staind (something about them I like)
Underoath
Cradle of Filth
Slipknot
HELLYEAH

that's quite a bit. I mean Rap is going back to being what I do for my relatives Christmas presents.

ROCK MUSIC ACTUALLY HAS SOME FUCKIN MEANING BEHIND THE SONGS NOT "GLOCK, GLOCK I AM FUCKING KILLIN' YOU smurf"