Hell in a Cell Rate Hell in A Cell 2019!

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

What Did You Think Of Hell In A Cell?

• Total voters

white crow

The Serbian Butcher
Hotshot
Reaction score
60AEDE94-DCE5-4756-A32C-B48ED141DF77.jpeg

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Actually, he lost the title when he didn't wear the performance-enhancing paint and had his only lost in a cage match.

Absolutely, and I forgot about that! Good call.
But I remember the Demon being so OP that at Takeover: The End (Balor's rematch) Joe's second rope Musclebuster was disappointing... Badass but disappointing.

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
I reflect fondly on the times when Hell in a Cell was the greatest gimmick match of all-time, at least in my opinion since I know everyone tends to favour the Rumble. And look, it's not like the Hell in a Cell was ruined by this match, nor was it ruined by last year's BS, it's been dead pretty much since they made a solo PPV around it a staple of the yearly schedule. Last year kinda felt like the final nail in the coffin, this is just pissing on the grave. The desecration of the Hell in a Cell gimmick is among the worst things WWE ever done imo, and if this match was a five-star classic prior to the finish I'd still hate this on principal alone.

But was this a five-star match? Of course not, but I'll admit right now I did not watch this PPV to find out. And I'm not going to so I'm only going based on the descriptions I've heard and it sounds like I would've absolutely hated this. For starters, it just sounds really dull and lifeless. Maybe it wasn't, this is where I'm most willing to give credit to the match since I haven't watched it, but it kinda sounds like it was just Rollins hitting his finish and weapons with the Fiend just took it and kicked out (at 1 from what I hear)? Like, who wouldn't have gotten the point about how OP the Fiend is earlier, it just sounds redundant and one note. But maybe there was more to it and people are just harping on the last half, I don't know. However, I definitely do believe them when they say Rollins hit 11 Curb-Stomps and The Fiend shrugged them off, which I have major issues with. For starters, protect your finish because Rollins just flushed his down the toilet here. I know the takeaway is meant to be how unstoppable the Fiend is, and sure they can run with that and re-build up the Curb Stomp but you know, at some point it just starts to reflect on the move itself. I don't have the scientific equation down pat but I think it's around the fourth time, and they went to eleven. But even beyond that, the bigger problem is just how ridiculous it is, it doesn't legitimize the Fiend as some otherworldly threat, it takes away legitimacy from the product itself. The Roman/Lesnar match at Mania 33 just felt like a parody to me, I couldn't take it seriously because they were just doing ridiculous amounts of finishers and this sounds far worse (well I mean, at least they didn't have Rollins spend a year beating everyone including the Fiend with a single Curb Stomp, I guess narratively the Roman/Lesnar match is still worse in that regard). And like, that wouldn't be as much as a problem if WWE didn't take itself so seriously, at least in the main event scene.

And of course, building the Fiend up so much within the match to just end on the turd of a finish just makes everything worse Because honestly, it just reeks of cowardice. That might be the biggest problem with it, outside of the HIAC side of things because I'm still really bitter about how the gimmick's life gone. WWE tried to have their cake and eat it too. The couldn't pull the trigger on the Fiend for some dumb reason so this whole match and finish just feels like it was scripted as a desperate attempt to salvage the Fiend's appeal & mystique by making him appear literally undefeatable. In the alternate reality where the Fiend is booked to win this match, I'm positive he wouldn't have survived as much here. He only did it in a blatantly transparent attempt to make him look strong likely in fear of the backlash for having him lose this quickly in the character's run. Either don't book the match or actually grow the balls to give him the Championship. You can strike the iron when it's hot if you keep pulling it away from the flame.

As for the rest of the show, I'm glad Asuka and Kairi won the tag titles. I wish I knew it was actually happening or had any real progressive build to it but in fairness, WWE never seemed to care about the Women's Tag Titles (which only exist because Sasha & Bayley kept pestering Vince about them from my understanding, I like to think them losing at Mania was Vince's vengeance for annoying him about it) so that's fitting. This sounds like bitching, but honestly I'm glad Asuka & Kairi exist again on WWE TV and as champions. A Championship belt should always be a part of Asuka's wardrobe. And I saw gifs from the Becky/Sasha HIAC match, looks like those two killed it. Reminds me of The Usos/New Day HIAC match in terms of creativity with the weapons and Cell, I like that that a lot. Honestly, the most enticing match for me to watch from WWE since I stopped watching (the final match I saw Rollins vs. Styles at MITB, which was aces). So hey, at least the PPV wasn't a total loss.

Reactions: Jay-Ashley

bullyballmm

babeball
Main Eventer
Reaction score
It is clear going into the PPV that Vince didn't care for it even existing, as shown by the majority of the matches being announced a few hours before the show.

How people want things to be booked and what the story plan is are two separate things. It is clear that Fergal has wanted a lighter schedule for a while now - he didn't do much after becoming IC champ before losing it to Shinsuke, and wanted to be written off of TV by losing to The Fiend in spectacular fashion so he could get married. Now there is this: Finn Balor Taking Lighter Schedule & Less Money With Full-Time Move From WWE To NXT

So while the idea of Fiend Bray vs. Demon Finn sounds nice and everything, that doesn't mean it could/should have happened. I thought that Shane/Owens in a Cell match to end the feud would be the perfect bookend (because Face Shane vs. Heel Owens last year was in a Cell match), but I am not really bitching about it as I can understand why they ended it on the premier on FOX - that episode was there as a sort of vision statement, giving us an idea of how things are going to be going forward - no powerful heel BITW Shane is a part of that vision it seems.

I agree that they are overpowering The Fiend, but I have a feeling that that's the point - beating The Fiend isn't going to be what happens in the ring. Somebody needs to find his kryptonite, or maybe the downfall of The Fiend comes from the conflict between Funhouse Bray and The Fiend as personas fighting for control.

I don't think Bray's beef with Seth is over yet, and to those who say Bray has no business feuding with Seth - Bray mentioned in his FFH eps that he hasn't been forgiven for what he has done in the past, and that upsets him. But he was the one who absolved Seth of his sins sorta during their feud - Seth became a face after being screwed by The Authority, so not a true face turn, and he went after revenge on HHH at Mania (so he got revenge for not being handed the title that was given to Owens, not a true face redemption yet). Dean (and Roman to a lesser extent) gave him the cold shoulder and didn't trust him as a new good guy. Then Bray feuded with him because Seth wasn't absolved of his crimes as a heel - once Seth won he could move on to mend fences with Ambrose and they eventually became tag team partners again.

That period of Seth's face arc was perfect IMO but nobody on what I saw on the Internet seemed to get it at the time. They were just like "Bray is rambling; turn Seth heel even though when he first returned from injury I wanted him to be a face even though in kayfabe is character had no reason to return as a face!"

Apart from the bad main event (which was good in some areas, let's not completely shit on it just because the ending of it was bad), I thought all the matches on the card were good great.

So me not caring about this PPV and this PPV review because the WWE did not care for it = I did not care that I gave a meme score of 3, @JacobFox . If I was being serious I would give it a 7/10, and even though I get where others are coming from, I mainly agree with the stuff @Jeffry Fucking Mason said in this thread.

Last edited:

TheprofileofJericho

The Artiste
Reaction score
Ok, I have composed myself after a good night sleep. Gonna give my thoughts on the whole show.

The opening cell match was great, better than Sasha vs Charlotte in my opinion. Definitely stole the show by a mile. The match was filled with innovative, brutal spots, and great back and forth action. The meteora on the ladder, and Becky dropkicking Sasha into the cell, while she was sitting on a chair were the best spots of the match for me. The finish was also fantastic. Kinda surprised that Sasha lost here tbh, I don't know where she goes from here. Nevertheless this was an amazing way to kick off the show.

I was expecting the show to slow down a bit after that banger of an opener, but the Rowan/Harper vs Roman/Bryan match did just the opposite. I was so pleased with this one, and changing it into a tornado match was crucial. Hard hitting and dynamic from start to finish. The final exchange with Harper and Bryan was great, and I love the fact that it took 2 finishers to keep Harper down, and a brutal spear through the announce table to keep Rowan down. So despite the loss Harper and Rowan looked like absolute monsters in this one, dominating most of the match and barley losing.

The opening of this show was absolutely fantastic with 2 great matches, but this is the point where the problems of a show that had 3 matches announced 2 days before the PPV start to come out. 2 of those 3 matches were placed at the start of the show, and the third one is the main event. Granted the opening 2 matches were great, but everything else (apart from Corbin vs Gable) had absolutely 0 buildup, and we got a good hour and a half of filler.

Quickly running down some of these matches:

Orton vs Ali was pretty decent, slow in the start but picked up near the end. That RKO counter was awesome.
The women's, and 6 man tag matches aren't even worth discussing in my opinion. Pretty pointless
Corbin vs Gable was alright, but lacked the crowd heat from their previous matches. Glad that Gable got the win, but I don't understand why they are continuing this feud.
Bayley vs Charlotte was pretty disappointing tbh. Never really got going in my opinion. Both women worked over the others legs, and Charlotte just kinda won out of nowhere.

Ok we have reached the main event. Up to this point, I was fine with the show. Some of the filler was enjoyable, and the first two matches were great. But holy fuck, this has to be the biggest abomination of a Hell in a Cell match, that I have ever seen. It pissed me off so much, that every positive vibe I had about this show vanished in an instant. Where to begin? Well it started out well enough, the action was fine and I liked the light effects. The Fiend also started out strong, no selling kendo shots and immediately standing up after taking a curb stomp. Even though I am not the biggest fan of no selling finishers (especially a finisher that is protected like the curb stomp), I thought this is ok as long as it isn't a complete overkill. As soon as I started thinking that Seth started to BURN IT DOOWWWWN! He must have hit 10 consecutive curb stomps, followed up with a pedigree, and Bray kicked out at 1. At this point this match started going to shit. It took 3 stomps to take Lesnar out, and Bray eats ten of them IN A ROW, plus a pedigree and kicks out at 1. Wtf is continuity at this point? Who can beat this guy, if he is kicking out of 11 consecutive finishers? I get that you want to put him over as this unstoppable monster, but you don't need to go to these comically bad lengths to archive that. At the end of the day he didn't even look like a dominating monster at all. All he proved is that he can lay down and take a consistent ass kicking, because Rollins proceeded to murder this man for 10 minutes straight. Now we get to the most infuriating part of them all. For the second year in a row, a Hell in a Cell match has ended via DQ, this time because of a fucking sledgehammer. You know that weapon Triple H casually used during his career. These matches were once used to finish off legendary feuds, and now they have been reduced to generate controversial, shitfest finishes. Absolutely pathetic!
The finish of the show was as lame, and as cheap as the match itself.

4/10 - If it wasn't for the first hour, this show would have been a DUD.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
She will make a great punching bag for Lacey.
Yeah...its funny you say that because that's all Sasha
has basically been since making the main roster...

A "Punching Bag" for the Blondes the WWE wants
to push...mainly Charlotte & Alexa...hell even Natalya
has eliminated her from the last couple of Survivor
Series 5 on 5 matches.

Yeah...I believe you've picked it like a dirty nose my friend.

Reactions: TheprofileofJericho

TheprofileofJericho

The Artiste
Reaction score
Yeah...its funny you say that because that's all Sasha
has basically been since making the main roster...

A "Punching Bag" for the Blondes the WWE wants
to push...mainly Charlotte & Alexa...hell even Natalya
has eliminated her from the last couple of Survivor
Series 5 on 5 matches.

Yeah...I believe you've picked it like a dirty nose my friend.
NXT Sasha and Asuka are the best female wrestlers in the history of this company.
Sasha is a fool though, all she had to do is paint her hair blonde, and she would have been champion right about now.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
  • Haha
Reactions: TheprofileofJericho

Redboy123@

Reaction score
The match didn't end in a dq. The ref stopped the match. Seth destroyed Bray so much that he didn't need to pin him. Seth beat the fiend lol. Fiend has a 50% win loss.

Beat up a guy that the ref has to stop it instantly. Should happen more in wwe. Bray is buried though. Second match and he lost lol.

TheprofileofJericho

The Artiste
Reaction score
The match didn't end in a dq. The ref stopped the match. Seth destroyed Bray so much that he didn't need to pin him. Seth beat the fiend lol. Fiend has a 50% win loss.

Beat up a guy that the ref has to stop it instantly. Should happen more in wwe. Bray is buried though. Second match and he lost lol.
It was a no contest, but its the same shit to me. Seth wasn't declared as the winner, but he sure felt like one. This was their way of "protecting" Bray. Vintage Vinne Mac!

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
So me not caring about this PPV and this PPV review because the WWE did not care for it = I did not care that I gave a meme score of 3, @JacobFox . If I was being serious I would give it a 7/10, and even though I get where others are coming from, I mainly agree with the stuff @Jeffry Fucking Mason said in this thread.

My point mainly being that you seem to get worked up when we change the score dramatically based off what you perceive as one thing. But you cannot argue that on the surface it seems you did the exact same thing.