R & B Music Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kairi

Reaction score
Report: Ciara Joins L.A. Reid Headed Epic

Despite boasting potential by the bucketload, Ciara’s last few projects have been chart disasters. Indeed, so poorly did the singer’s recent ‘Basic Instinct’ LP perform, she subsequently severed ties with longtime label Jive.
However, in what looks like a dramatic turn of events, the 25 year old is reportedly headed back to the Sony Music family, this time under the umbrella of subsidiary label – Epic Records.
Full story after the jump…

According to Billboard, the ‘Ride’ singer will reunite with the very man who signed her back in 2003 – Epic’s new head L.A. Reid. There, it is reported, shewill serve as a priority for the newly restructured label.
A restructure, which insiders say includes Reid once again taking the reign of Usher’s career, and potentially bringing over Mariah Carey and Jennifer Lopez from his old stomping ground – Universal Music/Def Jam. (Though he’s been an instrumental figure in both ladies projects, a Lopez move would be particularly noteworthy. After all, he signed her to Def Jam from Epic just six months before his departure this April).
As for Ciara, should this prove accurate, this could be the spark her career has been in need of – since, at least, 2009. For, Reid’s great ear for hits and his firm business hand have seen him ascend to the ‘industry great’ status he enjoys now. However, it’d be silly to ignore his many mishaps over the years – particularly with acts he’s been handed as pet projects in the vein of Ciara (see: Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, and co). Still, a lifeline is a lifeline. We can only hope the one Epic and Reid seem to have extended to Ms. Harris proves to be a fruitful one.

Kairi

Reaction score
R&B is on a respirator. Once a celebrated genre that has given the music industry some of its most praised acts (see: Luther, Whitney, Aretha, Marvin), the musical styling has unquestionably lost its identity to Hip-Hop and now Electro-Pop.
The question at hand: is R&B (as a commercially viable force) on its last breath or is revival in its future? In a three part series, That Grape Juice will analyze three sectors of the fallen genre: ladies (songstresses), males (crooners), and groups (both male and female) to determine if resurrection is in its future or if it will find permanent rest in the history books.
As always, ladies first…
Turning the dial (or Youtube search engine) back 20 years to see the plethora of female R&B acts dominating the radios and Pop charts is a stinging reminder of a time when the industry thrived on variety. From crossover acts such as Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, and Janet Jackson, to up-and-comers Mary J. Blige and Toni Braxton (just to name a few), there was no shortage of R&B estrogen on the airwaves or charts. Not to mention such classic, yet then-active artists like Anita Baker, Aretha Franklin, and Gladys Knight.
However, as Hip-Hop/R&B fusions became more of a constant (which some attribute to artists like Carey and Mary J. Blige), the junior generation of R&B diva emerged in the form of the Aaliyah’s, Brandy’s, Monica’s, and eventually Ashanti’s. Then, of course, you had that brand of 90s R&B diva (Faith Evans, Tamia, Deborah Cox and Kelly Price) who lacked crossover appeal, yet were still relevant – even if just appealing to a small niche.
But, as the 2000s rolled on and Hip-Hop was becoming the driving force of the music industry, ballads and slow jams were losing steam on the charts, and Hip-Hop was surely killing the R&B star. And while many of the time period marked Alicia Keys as a ’savior of R&B’, she was one of very few pure R&B females who was granted relevancy in an increasingly convoluted music world. Interestingly, though Mary J. Blige and Mariah Carey (who by 2005 were considered veterans) were seeing some of the best numbers of their careers, the genre’s overall shortcomings were inescapable.
Then, as the Beyonce’s and the Rihanna’s of the music world began to dominate charts by willingly trading in their R&B humbling’s for Pop’ier hits, the 90s divas of yester-year who refused to succumb to the change found themselves succumbing to irrelevancy. Even those who once showed promise in the early 2000s (Amerie, Tweet, and co) were finding themselves lost in the fray. Suffice it to say, the industry at large began to suffer (see: illegal downloading, cd leaks), yet R&B’s former leading ladies seemed to fall victim most (Brandy, Monica, Mya, and eventually Ashanti).
Fast forward to 2011. Where is R&B female? Even with hints of recent reigniting of public interest (i.e. Fantasia’s ‘Back To Me’, Monica’s ‘Still Standing’), they alone are not enough to indicate a resurgence. And, even with notable record sales (given the current musical climate), those sales are marginal at best comparatively.
Record sales aside, the presence of R&B females on the Hot 100 chart recently is rarely without rapper accompaniment. There is a new class of R&B divas, however. While not reporting record-breaking numbers, the Keri Hilson’s, Kelly Rowland’s, Jennifer Hudson’s, and co. are definitely making noise. But, is it enough to resurrect the fallen genre? Or will R&B eventually rest in peace?
Do you think that there will be a resurgence of mainstream R&B females?

Kairi

Reaction score
It appears that Lil Kim’s career continues to slip and slide faster than hot butter on a greased pole.
For just when things seemed to be looking up for her, news that will be sure to rattle her fans emerged today that may slow down her plans for chart revival.
Find out more below…
Last week, Monica’s latest effort ‘Anything To Find You‘ surfaced which featured a verse from Rapper Rick Ross and a pint sized helping from Lil Kim.
When asked why her verse was so short in a recent interview, she claimed that what fans had heard was only a section out of a 16 bar she had recorded for the song which had been shortened to make room for Ross’ contribution.
Now she has been removed from the entire song.
Addressing the issue on Twitter, Monica explained:
I am just finding out what has happened to my single and myself & Missy are beyond hurt that @LilKim was removed. She’s our friend, a legend & @LilKim will get the respect she deserves at all cost. The clearance was revoked & I’m fighting to get it reinstated by the Biggie Estate.
Going onto reveal:
I am as thorough as they come and I LOVE @LilKim bottom line is Ms Wallace has the final say and she said No. If we put it out we get SUED.
This would imply that all is still not well between Ms.Jones and the mother of Biggie Smalls, Ms. Wallace. The head of the Christopher Wallace Estate.
It would appear that because aspects of Kim’s contributions feature samples from Mr.Wallace, Ms.Wallace has the right not to give these contributions the clearance to be featured on the song.

Therefore giving Monica and J Records no choice but to remove her verse.
If things continue to work against her favour, it is anybody’s guess how Kim’s future projects will fare when or if they see the light of day.

Kairi

Reaction score
[video=youtube;Sh1hUBzAF-w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh1hUBzAF-w&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Kairi

Reaction score
[video=youtube;CGXm9hveLxk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGXm9hveLxk&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Kairi

Reaction score
‘Cocktails with Cassie’ Party at Diamond Supply Co. LA Store <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Cassie was at a private cocktail party thrown by Blank Magazine and Diamond Supply Co. at their Los Angeles store on Fairfax Avenue this evening, “Cocktails with Cassie“ (...)
The DJ apparently also played tracks off Cassie's upcoming album to be released later this year; the first single will be announced very soon.

via Cassie at Cassie-Ventura.com | Your #1 Cassie Fansite With The Best News, Pictures, Downloads, Media, Fan Stuff & More! & twitter

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_7" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="480"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20"> </td><td class="td2" unselectable="on">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x599 and weights 218KB.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Cassie and DJ Alan The Chemist

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_3" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="480"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20"> </td><td class="td2" unselectable="on">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 612x612 and weights 175KB.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Cassie rocking Pangea Life Essentials (bracelets etc)

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_2" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="480"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20"> </td><td class="td2" unselectable="on">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 600x450 and weights 128KB.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Capricorn "Cappadonna" Clark, Cassie and Malika Haqq

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_1" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="480"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20"> </td><td class="td2" unselectable="on">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 600x450 and weights 25KB.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Rob Kardashian and J. Valentine

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_4" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="480"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20"> </td><td class="td2" unselectable="on">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 600x450 and weights 29KB.</td></tr></tbody></table>

DJ Alan The Chemist (producer/DJ The Alchemist or whatever?)

Kairi

Reaction score
More Chris Brown Drama....smh <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

According to Star Magazine -

He got really ticked off when things didn’t go his way during the game, saying, ‘That’s gay!’ and ‘You’re a f*gg*t a**!’ to the other players,” an eyewitness tells Star exclusively. When another player didn’t pass him the ball, the 22-year-old Forever singer, perhaps best known for beating up Rihanna, fired off more slurs, calling him a “f*gg*t” and saying it was a “gay” move.

According to Chris Brown's Reps -

A totally fictitious article ran in the current Star Magazine (issue date July 25, 2011) accusing our client Chris Brown of doing something that he did not do. The article claimed that on June 29, 2011, Chris participated in a pick up basketball game at 24 Hour Fitness Center in LA and said some very inappropriate statements. The incident described did not occur, nor did the Star ever contact Chris’ representatives to request comment or confirmation. Chris was filming a video with AceHood on June 29 and never left the set. He spent the entire day with dozens of members of the production team filming the video for “Body To Body” at 1870 Sunset Plaza in West Hollywood.

The Star accompanied the fabricated story with a photo of Chris playing basketball in New York that was taken on the day of his F.A.M.E. CD release in March. Chris Brown’s management is considering taking appropriate legal action against the paper. Unfortunately this bogus account is being picked up by additional media outlets. We stand behind our client and want to set the record straight that this did not happen.

They are considering taking legal action against Star Magazine.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Kairi

Reaction score
[video=youtube;CtA8qQBzySw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtA8qQBzySw&NR=1[/video]

Kairi

Reaction score
Arguably the most commercially successful X Factor alum to date, it has been confirmed that Leona Lewis’ upcoming single ‘Collide’ will be released in September, two months before the release of a brand spanking new album.
Find out more below…

Speaking to Scott Mills of BBC Radio 1 about the song ‘Collide’, the ‘Forgive Me’ singer revealed :
“I’m excited for people to see a different side to my music,I’m a fan of so many different genres and styles. For me this song has all the great ingredients of a summer anthem.”
Her album is set to feature heavy contributions from the likes of Ryan Tedder and Adele collaborator Fraser T Smith, as well as good friend to That Grape Juice, Claude Kelly.

If Leona’s revamped look is anything to go by, fans of the performer should be in for a sonic treat.

With the X Factor USA airing around the same time of the LP’s release, here’s to hoping Ms. Lewis graces the show with a performance in support of an album so many are anticipating.

Kairi

Reaction score
In what will sure to be having many a music critic whispering and wondering about for years to come, Beyonce’s former manager and father has slammed her new team for whom he says are to blame for the setbacks her latest LP ‘4‘ has faced.
Suggesting that the only reason the album sold what it did was due to his daughter’s star power and not the efforts of a well orchestrated plan.
This comes just days after it was revealed that the ‘Single Ladies‘ starlet had allegedly parted with her father’s management over claims that he was stealing money from her.
Find out more below…
Speaking to the Associated Press on her new LP, he admitted:

“”They put out the record in a vacuum, it makes you believe that there are some artists that don’t need radio. There are some records that don’t need a record label, and Beyonce is one of those artists.”
Going onto address the issue that Jay Z and others may have conspired to oust him, he revealed:
“The team ironically appeared to be a cross-pollination of Beyonce’s team, Roc Nation’s team, and Live Nation’s team, who ironically have the most to gain.I’ll let people come to their own conclusion. I’m challenging all of these folks on integrity, professional integrity”
Whilst many have been critical of Mr.Knowles’ alleged business dealings in the past, there is no doubt that some fans of his daughter will agree that the release album could have been handed better.
However if Mrs.Carter did indeed part ways with her father over the issue of swindling money from her, it would shine a light on some of the grey areas that so many of her fans were confused about when it was announced she had left Music World.
It would explain why she would leave his management just months before the release of a new album which would have been sure to add an extra if not overbearing stress to the already gruelling task of pushing an LP.
Only time will tell how this saga will play out.
Here’s to hoping that whatever happens, the relationship between Beyonce and her father and most interestingly Jay Z and her father, is not affected negatively by it in the long term.
For Mr.Knowles has admitted that he has not spoken to his daughter since he ceased to serve as her manager.

Kairi

Reaction score
R&B chanteuse Ameriie may be eyeing a 2012 release for her new album, but her new single may be coming sooner than expected.
The singer sat down with Billboard.com recently to share details about her upcoming album ‘Cymatika: Volume 1′, including the announcement that her new single ‘Firestarter’ will be released this summer. See more on this and what other topics the ‘Touch’ singer touched on after the jump:

Via Billboard:
Q: What are the core genres of the album?
A: Trance and electronic. 80’s new wave, but not in the sense of the sound, particularly, but more so the song structures themselves. I really wanted to try different things. Even with vocal approach, some of the songs my sister listened to and she didn’t even know it was me. I wanted to experiment with androgyny.
Q: “In Love & War” was about the gray area between being in love and not. Now that you’re a married woman, is that something you touch upon on “Cymatika Vol. 1″?
A: This particular album is different as far as the subject matter. I kind of went in a place I didn’t go before. Relationships are very important to talk about but I also want to go a little deeper in to what it is that makes us human and what we have in common.
Q: Which producers are you working with?
A: Different people, but two I’ve worked really closely are Andre Harris, of Dre & Vidal but has branched off to do his own thing. He did probably a majority of [the album].
Q: Will you and Rich Harrison work together?
We spoke about it not too long ago and I think we wanted to do something with this project. I went over it with him, what I was looking for in general, but we didn’t go too in depth because he’s been working a lot with his artists. I think that would be something a lot of people have been waiting for and something we’re ultimately going to do.
Information that Ameriie is hooking up again with long-time collaborator Rich Harrison is news by itself. The two have not only produced some great music together, but also given the singer her biggest hits. So, here’s hoping the new direction Mrs. Rogers-Nelson is taking the album will lead to her very deserving, yet overdue chart success (without sounding exactly like everything else that’s on the radio – electrofluff).