R & B Music Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kairi

Reaction score
According to Hits Daily Double, soul diva Jill Scott is set to have the first #1 album of her career.

Light of the Sun,” Jill’s fourth album overall and her first with Warner Brothers Records, is on track to sell between 125-135k in its first week of release.

‘Light’ is Jill’s first solo venture since 2007’s “The Real Thing: Words and Sounds Vol. 3.” Her previous high was the #3 ranking for 2004’s Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds Vol. 2. Jill has since gone on to star in two movies for Tyler Perry and had the lead role in HBO’s original series The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency.

Congrats to Jill !

Kairi

Reaction score
In celebration of the release of Ledisi’s new album “Pieces of Me” check out the brand new Ledisi App for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch! The app includes two games, one where fans must solve the Pieces of Me puzzle and other offering fans the opportunity to upload their photos to the app to create their very own puzzle.

Kairi

Reaction score
New Music: Beyonce – Schoolin’ Life

Wed, Jun 22 2011 by Necole Bitchie | Filed Under: Bitchie Pod, New Music

Beyonce is a freak, all day, all night…according to her new track titled, “Schoolin’ Life”. The song dedicated to those 20-somethings, 30- somethings, 40-somethings, pretty-somethings and sexy-somethings was written by The Dream and has an old 80′s funk feel reminiscent of Prince. It will be one of the three songs that will be added to the Deluxe album exclusively

listen : http://necolebitchie.com/2011/06/22/new-music-beyonce-schoolin-life/#more-140652

Kairi

Reaction score
[video=youtube;bdosxjKzYp0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdosxjKzYp0&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Kairi

Reaction score
[video=youtube;zA-8RWP_f0c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zA-8RWP_f0c[/video]

Kairi

Reaction score
Jill Scott looking beautiful on the cover of Billboard <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_4" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="480"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20"> </td><td class="td2" unselectable="on">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 500x621 and weights 394KB.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Quote:
<table border="0" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="6" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td style="border: 1px inset currentColor;" class="alt2">Jill Scott is looking fantabulous on the cover of Billboard magazine upcoming July 2nd issue. The full pic, excerpts from her cover story, plus Kevin Hart's new JET cover, inside....

Jilly just dropped her 4th full studio album this past Tuesday, Light of the Sun, and she's telling Billboard her road to getting back to a place where people bought her music again--not just watched her movies and tv show.

On her new vibe she put into this album:

"Free. That's the word I've been using. It's exciting, because it's on my own terms. I feel like my eyes are going to bulge out of my head. It's like starting all over again. Music shouldn't be a chore or feel like any kind of burden. It's free and alive. And that's where I am."

On her unique recording methods this time around:

All I wanted was to choose collaborators who could embody the energy I was going for. Without any pretense, without knowing what I was going to say . . . there was no guidance except for the energy and spirit in the room. I'm a big Salvador Dali fan; he put his blood and everything else he had in his painting. That's how it is for me. There's no blood on this record, but there sure is some heart."

On what she's learned the last few years:

"I've missed myself. I'm sassy again, stronger. Now I understand this industry to a certain extent, and know how I work best. Having my son was one of the key factors in me leaving the old label. I need him to see me be as amazing as I can be so he feels fearless. I haven't arrived at amazing yet. I'm in the process. But I want him to see me grow. I want to get another 30 years out of this amazing life of being an artist."

theybf.com </td></tr></tbody></table>

Kairi

Reaction score
[video=youtube;dqkt7WIf144]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqkt7WIf144[/video]

Kairi

Reaction score
Kelly Rowland Notches 5th Week at #1

As if a performance slot on this Sunday’s 11th annual BET Awards isn’t enough to celebrate, Kelly Rowland’s urban smash ‘Motivation’ has notched its 5th week at #1 on Billboard’s Hot R&B chart. Ms. Rowland was sure to tweet the fans a personal thanks yesterday for the accomplishment.
Though the song slipped down one position from last week’s #23 on the Hot 100, it is worth mentioning that it has spent half of its 10-week chartlife perched atop the R&B chart. Catch ‘Motivation’ get its first live performance treatment Sunday, June 26th at the BET Awards.

Kairi

Reaction score
Miguel Reveals Details on Next Two Singles

R&B newcomer, Miguel, is riding high on the success of his first two hits ‘Sure Thing’ and ‘All I Want Is You’. The crooner recently announced the next two singles to be lifted from his debut album are ‘Quickie’ and ‘Girls Like You’.
Check out details on the singles below…

‘Quickie’, released on June 13, has already peaked at #52 on Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop songs chart; while the Fisticuffs produced ‘Girls Like You’ will see a later summer release. Both videos will be directed by Alexandre Moors, who was at the helm of the singer’s ‘All I Want Is You’ visual.
Though, the album got off to a slow start, it’s nice to see his label gave the project a chance to grow. Now, with two certified R&B hits, a BET Award nomination, and good critical response to his debut, it’ll be interesting to see how the next two singles fare

Kairi

Reaction score
SWV Recording New Album

90’s R&B girl group SWV has experienced a minimal pop culture revival of sorts, thanks to Chris Brown’s current single ‘She Ain’t You’, which plays off of the lady’s Michael Jackson-sampling hit ‘Right Here/Human Nature’. After hopping on the remix, the Sisters With Voices have now announced an upcoming album and reality show.
Check below for details…
Talking to Billboard, the vocalist hinted toward the sound of the new music.
Cheryl “Coko” Gamble says their fourth non-seasonal studio album (excluding their 99′ holiday album, “A Special Christmas”) will have the “same SWV flavor” with a contemporary twist. “Same style just new millennium. Kick it up a notch, take it to the next level, but we’re still going to be ourselves.”
Production wise, the ladies aren’t looking to cut any corners.
“Whoever’s going to give us some hits, not any mediocre stuff,” Coko says. “We’re looking for some heat.”
Along with a deal with Mass Appeal Entertainment, they have already recorded with producers Bryan Michael-Cox (Mariah Carey, Usher), and Lamb (Jazmine Sullivan). The trio are preparing the album’s first single, and have plans on releasing their comeback effort later this year, in adittion to a reality show about the making of the LP.

Kairi

Reaction score
Essence’s 50 Most Powerful R&B Artist of All Time

In honor of Black Music Month, Essence Magazine’s online entity recently published a list of 50 Most Powerful R&B Artist of All Time. The list includes greats like Aretha Franklin and Michael Jackson, but it omits legendary R&B stars such as Mariah Carey and Toni Braxton, and includes head-scratchers like Will Smith. Check out list for yourself below…

In order of appearance:
1. Aretha Franklin
2. Michael Jackson
3. Mary J Blige
4. Diana Ross
5. Whitney Houston
6. Beyonce
7. Patti LaBelle
8. Teena Marie
9. Maxwell
10. Lauryn Hill
11. Rihanna
12. Usher
13. Quincy Jones
14. Aaliyah
15. Timbaland
16. Ashford & Simpson
17. Janet Jackson
18. Sam Cooke
19. Marvin Gaye
20. Isley Brothers
21. Sade
22. Frankie Beverly & Maze
23. Alicia Keys
24. Chaka Kahn
25. Donny Hathaway
26. New Edition
27. D’Angelo
28. Etta James
29. R. Kelly
30. Anita Baker
31. Erykah Badu
32. Luther Vandross
33. James Brown
34. Teddy Pendergrass
35. TLC
36. Marvin Gaye
37. Prince
38. Gladys Knight
39. Curtis Mayfield
40. Earth, Wind, and Fire
41. Ray Charles
42. Stevie Wonder
43. Lionel Richie
44. Sean Combs
45. Jill Scott
46. Will Smith
47. Gamble & Huff
48. Boys 2 Men
49. Barry White
50. Babyface
There’s a lot wrong with this list. Yet, it was published by Essence who’s demographic is a little out of touch with the overall music landscape. Who do you think should be added, or left off of the list?

Kairi

Reaction score
New Music: Tyrese f/ R. Kelly and Tyga – ‘I Gotta Chick’

<center>
tyrese-mma.jpg
</center>
Tyrese pays homage to the loyal women who stay down on “I Gotta Chick.” “I gotta chick that love me/ And she’ll do anything for me that’s why I f**ks with her,” he sings, with additional vocals from R&B royalty R. Kelly. Tyga dedicates his verse to a lady who caters to him, rapping, “Now we rolling like it’s Kelly/ Got a fine dark skin like it’s Keisha up in Belly.”
The Transformers star will release his new album Open Invitation on November 1. “My right hand to God it’s my BEST ALBUM.!!” he told fans.

http://www.rap-up.com/2011/06/25/new-music-tyrese-f-r-kelly-and-tyga-i-gotta-chick/

Kairi

Reaction score
Hot Shots: Alicia Keys Rocks L.A.

Alicia Keys took center stage last night (June 24th) at Los Angeles Pantages Theatre for a concert commemorating the release of the 10th anniversary edition of her debut album ‘Songs In A Minor’ (in stores June 28th). The event, entitled Piano & I: A One-Night Only Event With Alicia Keys’, saw the singer give rousing renditions of some of the album’s biggest hits (‘Fallin’, ‘A Woman’s Worth’, ‘Girlfriend’) as well as a few covers of soul legends Mary J. Blige and Marvin Gaye.
You can read a full review of the event here.
<style type="text/css"> #gallery-1 { margin: auto; } #gallery-1 .gallery-item { float: left; margin-top: 10px; text-align: center; width: 33%; } #gallery-1 img { border: 2px solid #cfcfcf; } #gallery-1 .gallery-caption { margin-left: 0; } </style><!-- see gallery_shortcode() in wp-includes/media.php --><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl>
<dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl>

You can also catch Mrs. Beatz performing live at the 2011 BET Awards, June 26th at 8/7c.

Kairi

Reaction score
Ne-Yo To Debut ‘Bad Boy Side’ On Next Album

Following the commercial disappointment that was his 2010 release ‘Libra Scale‘, Ne-Yo is hoping to change his approach to his next release due this fall. The singer recently sat down with VIBE magazine to discuss exactly what those changes would be.
See what songwriter had to say after the jump:

“Putting together this new album has definitely been a journey. With my last album not doing as well as the previous three, it gave me time to sit back and look at the image I portray and what I put out there. I felt like people were looking at me like he’s too f-cking nice, it has to be fake. Nobody’s that damn nice all the time.
I call myself protecting my fans [by] not showing that side, because it’s not a pretty side. You’ll definitely see a side of me on this album no one has seen before. People are either going to love it, hate it or not going to be ready for it. I’ll be back in September.”
The ‘Sexy Love’ singer also shared his thoughts on Euro-pop, R&B’s current status, and Beyonce being labeled as the next Michael Jackson. You can read the interview in its entirety here.

Kairi

Reaction score
Common, Lola Monroe, Tika Sumpter and Melyssa Ford at the Jill Scott Experience <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

Quote:
<table border="0" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="6" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td style="border: 1px inset currentColor;" class="alt2">The music was vibing and cocktails were flowing last night as the industry’s elite packed into Siren Studios for the ‘Jill Scott Experience’ in Hollywood. Later, Jill Scott took to the stage and performed tracks from her new Warner Brothers release, ‘The Light Of The Sun’ for an audience that included the likes of Ne-Yo, Common, Idris Elba, Lance Gross, Aubrey O’day, Jessica White, Melyssa Ford and more. </td></tr></tbody></table>

Frenchie Davis, Voice Contestant and Lance Gross

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_1" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="480"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20"> </td><td class="td2" unselectable="on">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 600x557 and weights 91KB.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Lola Monroe
laugh.gif

Danity Kane reunion

Melyssa Ford

Jason Weaver