Pacific Rim

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

CaptainxBumout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
fandango

[video=youtube;w6Vv2z-QiAI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Vv2z-QiAI[/video]

I've been looking forward to this film ever since it was announced so long ago. I loved Kaiju as a kid, so much so that I watched that Kaiju Big Battel which if you don't know was wrestling with people in monster suits. The effects look really good and Guillermo del Toro is the director. I've heard him talk about the movie and he seems really into it and it seems to have all the right tools to be a good movie. I'm just hoping this will be the perfect counterbalance to Transformers and people take to it.

Reactions: 1 person

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
I know this will sound like its setting the bar really low, but infact its the only Massive Monster movie I didnt like.

Aslong as this is better than that crappy Godzilla remake, I am going to love this one.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Hmm not sure. I'm guessing it'll be a flop.

CaptainxBumout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
fandango
So I saw this yesterday and I loved it. I didn't realize there would be a cheese factor to it but its only minor. At first I thought Ron Pearlmen was too cartoony but then there's a little action set piece that lets you know okay, Del Toro gets it.

For those wondering, this movie takes a very Avengers style approach of pacing. There's some action in the beginning, small action sequences sprinkled throughout and then a towards the end is a lot of action. There is a long stretch where no kaiju are attacking but the characters are all really well developed and keep you enthralled. The action is gorgeous. There is a very Voltron esque sequence that was awesome.

I can't really say much else but there was a few minor problems that I had. First I have to preface this by saying I hoped the trailer didnt give everything away. That is not the case. Most of what they show happens in the very beginning of the movie. That said, the first couple of minutes aside from a fight feels a bit underwhelming because its in the trailer. Very small problem but another is the main actor, Charlie Hunam. He did a fine job and I don't know if this was the cheese factor sneaking in but in the beginning, he has this weird sort of gangster walk. It disappears later on but it really stood out to me. Another thing is I would have liked to see more with the two other teams of Jaegers. They had a very cool unique look but you don't really get a lot of time with them. Lastly, the kaiju all sort of look the same. They have distinguishable features, especially one, but they're all the same color and kind of have the same face. Is explained a little why later but still I thought they could have been more different.

It seems like I listed more cons then pros but that's just because I can tell you all the things I loved without spoiling it. This should be what Transformers aspires to be. I give this film a 9/10 because I'm a huge fan of Kaiju and the sprinkled references throughout and just because its a great movie. Even if your not a fan of Japanese monster movies or thinks it looks dumb, I still think you'd find yourself liking the movie. It's definitely super hyped up by nerd culture but try and block out the hype.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
So I saw this yesterday and I loved it. I didn't realize there would be a cheese factor to it but its only minor. At first I thought Ron Pearlmen was too cartoony but then there's a little action set piece that lets you know okay, Del Toro gets it.

For those wondering, this movie takes a very Avengers style approach of pacing. There's some action in the beginning, small action sequences sprinkled throughout and then a towards the end is a lot of action. There is a long stretch where no kaiju are attacking but the characters are all really well developed and keep you enthralled. The action is gorgeous. There is a very Voltron esque sequence that was awesome.

I can't really say much else but there was a few minor problems that I had. First I have to preface this by saying I hoped the trailer didnt give everything away. That is not the case. Most of what they show happens in the very beginning of the movie. That said, the first couple of minutes aside from a fight feels a bit underwhelming because its in the trailer. Very small problem but another is the main actor, Charlie Hunam. He did a fine job and I don't know if this was the cheese factor sneaking in but in the beginning, he has this weird sort of gangster walk. It disappears later on but it really stood out to me. Another thing is I would have liked to see more with the two other teams of Jaegers. They had a very cool unique look but you don't really get a lot of time with them. Lastly, the kaiju all sort of look the same. They have distinguishable features, especially one, but they're all the same color and kind of have the same face. Is explained a little why later but still I thought they could have been more different.

It seems like I listed more cons then pros but that's just because I can tell you all the things I loved without spoiling it. This should be what Transformers aspires to be. I give this film a 9/10 because I'm a huge fan of Kaiju and the sprinkled references throughout and just because its a great movie. Even if your not a fan of Japanese monster movies or thinks it looks dumb, I still think you'd find yourself liking the movie. It's definitely super hyped up by nerd culture but try and block out the hype.

Great review!

My feeling is that Del Toro is one of the few directors who could make this kind of movie both entertaining and engrossing too. Also heard an interview where it did come across like it was a real passion project of his. Think I will check it out this week.