Official WWE 2K14 Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Xrddifn.jpg

[video=youtube;Hm9axR4gBYg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm9axR4gBYg[/video]

Ok cover. It's how most 2k game covers are I believe. Be interesting what approach 2k take with this and how they can possibly outdo last year. Kinda looks the same from the trailer..

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Will this foundations of this game not already have been made before THQ or whoever went bankrupt and were bought by 2k? If that's the case then surely this game will pretty much be THQ through and through before 2K put their own stamp on it in future releases.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
I'll wait till 2K15 when they've had a whole year to play with it and come up with new stuff.

Twist of Fate

Reaction score
Will this foundations of this game not already have been made before THQ or whoever went bankrupt and were bought by 2k? If that's the case then surely this game will pretty much be THQ through and through before 2K put their own stamp on it in future releases.

It's what i'm expecting and it's also what it looks like from the trailer at least. I recall hearing that it's still the same people working behind it despite it being published by 2K or whatever. Kinda wish they'd simply not bothered with a game this year and taken the time to instead develop a newer upgraded engine (rather than the outdated engine they've seemingly used since the PS2).

I wasn't particularly impressed with the last few games in the series (to say the least) and the fact that the whole bankruptcy process thing happened (and it was likely interrupted or left in limbo) kinda leads me to believe it'll basically be WWE 13 "at best", and at worst could even resemble something like SvR 2010 (which I felt was horrible for various reasons and a step backwards - there were things that were just inexplicably broken).

Last edited:

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
If they aren't going to make any real changes to the game to show going to 2K is for the better then I agree with the notion that they should have taken a year off and just added patches and updates to WWE 13. I'll wait and see exactly what they plan on doing with this game before I decide if I'm getting this one or not but I'm not feeling that optimistic.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
They could re-release 13 with a slightly updated Universe mode, fix the bugs, and add 10 more guys and I would still buy it. The yearly WWE Game is about the only game I will buy throughout the whole year. From the trailer there seems to be a few changes in how it looks. Arena's like WrestleMania look bigger, Ryback can do a double Shellshock which makes me wonder if other people can do double finishers. I like them adding in Macho Man and current day HBK. And I'm really, really hoping for a legit story or Road to WrestleMania mode.

CGS

Reaction score
Meh cover and since THQ will more or less have done the whole game I have no doubts that it will indeed be a rehash of WWE 13. Kinda hope they decided to drop Universe mode though. Kinda feel the mode has finally run its course.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
It's not that it has run its course they just have so much more they need to do with it so it doesn't feel redundant. Need to just mix aspects of Universe, storyline designer and GM mode into one big mode.

CGS

Reaction score
Problem is they don't seem to want to add anything more into it. 3 years later and the only good addition they have made was the editing of rankings and custom title matches. The stats are decent but not really needed. Unless they are gonna overhaul the whole thing and make it more into a GM style thing they may as well can it.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Looks to me like they took the greatest games feature from the basketball franchise and adapted it to make a legends/immortals greatest matches mode. Likewise they will probably take some of the Association and work it into a gm mode over time.

Biggest things they can do is update the roster like they do for the nba for hot and cold streaks or injuries, not charge you for Axxess (they didnt charge me when I preordered like previous years), and kill off some of the bs glitchy caw spam like they did with my players.

I do think they will have to kill of the servers for last year editions to both wwe and nba 2k though with them both being released weeks apart

Kassidy

Reaction score
What I hope and Know is going on:

Know: Yes, Yukes is still making the game this year and was already in dev when THQ went under and 2K bought the title. To not miss a yearly release, 2k Kept Yukes on for 14 and let them finish this game. Hopefully 2K puts some real online support for this unlike THQ because 13 was good, not a bad game at all but runs like shtako online specially for PS3 because unlike Xbox the only server for the game is the ones from THQ.

Hoping: While 2K is letting Yukes make 14, 2K Sports should be working on 15 from the ground up taking the 2 years to make it.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Looks to me like they took the greatest games feature from the basketball franchise and adapted it to make a legends/immortals greatest matches mode. Likewise they will probably take some of the Association and work it into a gm mode over time.

Biggest things they can do is update the roster like they do for the nba for hot and cold streaks or injuries, not charge you for Axxess (they didnt charge me when I preordered like previous years), and kill off some of the bs glitchy caw spam like they did with my players.

I do think they will have to kill of the servers for last year editions to both wwe and nba 2k though with them both being released weeks apart
That is the biggest thing that made me happy about 2k doing the game is for that possibility of them updating stuff like they do in NBA 2k. Like if someone like Wallace or T-Mac came back they added them in the game so imagine how awesome it would be if someone came back to WWE tv and they made them and put them in the game as an update. Doing attire updates like 2k added jersey updates, etc just endless possibilities 2k can add. Sad part is we probably won't see all that until next years game since this one still has THQ basically making the game.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
IGN published their first look at the new WWE 2K14 video game.

Here are some highlights of what IGN writer Richard George said about the changes to this year's game:

* WWE's new video game developer Yukes is keeping the gaming engine seen in WWE '13 in tact. Unlike arcade-style games, WWE 2K14 remains more of a wrestling "simulation" game, focusing on the same light-and-heavy grapple system that was overhauled back in 2011.

* The big change to the engine has to do with the reversal system. Attack now reverse into other attacks, which speeds up the action. Reversing an opponent that is transitioning between moves will still result in your character moving into a similar transitionary state. IGN says the changes "significantly improve" the pacing of matches.

* Wrestlers now move slightly faster, with more fluid movement animations. Additionally, running speed accelerates, instead of being a constant speed.

* ‘Catch Finishers’ are being expanded, with 10 new ones already being added. Finishers can be performed on running opponents or opponents that are in the air. Environmental ‘OMG’ moments are back, with many new additions. Specific characters, like John Cena and Ryback, and perform their finishers to multiple wrestlers at the same time (ie. Ryback having 2 guys on his back for Shell Shocked).

* Confirmed playable characters include Steve Austin, The Rock, John Cena, Shawn Michaels, Dolph Ziggler, Randy Savage and Ultimate Warrior, who is available as a free download when you pre-order the game in advance. The full roster is expected to be released prior to SummerSlam.

Last edited:

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Is it me or are they highlighting the wrong wrestler? I mean Ultimate Warrior is nice and all but isn't Savage the bigger name?