Official MLB Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Enigma22

Reaction score
ya i thought he would go west cause his family and him like the west and he likes to hit so i thought he would go to the national league. 160 million is a pretty good substitute tho lol...

MikeRaw

Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - The New York Mets have acquired relief pitcher J.J. Putz from the Seattle Mariners in a three-team trade that also involves the Cleveland Indians.

In the 12-player deal, which marked the first for new Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik, the Mets will receive Putz, who has recorded 101 saves in his six seasons with the Mariners. Also going to New York is pitcher Sean Green and outfielder Jeremy Reed, both from Seattle.

The deal comes only hours after the Mets officially signed former Angels reliever Francisco Rodriguez, who set the major league record with 62 saves in 2008. It is believed that Putz will serve as the set-up man in a bullpen that will feature an entirely new look in 2009.

"From the Mets' fans' concerns, they all said please address the bullpen. Well, to the Mets' fans, we've addressed the bullpen," said general manager Omar Minaya.

The Mariners will receive a total of six players from the Mets -- three major leaguers, which include pitcher Aaron Heilman, outfielder Endy Chavez and first baseman Mike Carp. Seattle will also get minor league pitchers Maikel Cleto and Jason Vargas, as well as outfielder Ezequiel Carrera from New York. In addition, the Indians sent outfielder Franklin Gutierrez to Seattle as part of the trade.

"Our primary goal this offseason has been to accumulate talent, both at the major league level and in our minor league system," said Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik. "We believe all seven of these players have a chance to help make us a better team, either immediately or in the future."

Cleveland will end up with second baseman Luis Valbuena from the Mariners and pitcher Joe Smith from the Mets.

"We're the smaller part of the trade, but I think it's hard to put together a win-win-win trade," said Indiana GM Mark Shapiro. "And I think everyone is satisfied. Hopefully a year from now, everyone is sitting back and saying this is a great trade."

Putz, who experienced elbow problems and spent time on the disabled list in 2008, had a 6-5 record with 15 saves and a 3.88 earned run average in 47 total games for Seattle. His best season came in 2007, when he posted a 6-1 record along with 40 saves and a 1.38 ERA in 68 games.

Reed, 27, posted a .269 batting average, two homers and 31 runs batted in during 97 games in 2008. He has spent his entire five-year career with the Mariners, batting .257 with 11 homers and 98 RBI in 336 games.

Green posted a 4-5 record with one save and a 4.67 ERA in 72 appearances in 2008 for Seattle. The 29-year-old has a 9-7 record with a 4.32 ERA in 160 games in three seasons with the Mariners.

Heilman, who recently turned 30 in November, began his career with the Mets originally as a starter but was converted into a reliever. In 2008, he posted a 3-8 record with a 5.21 ERA -- his worst since 2004 -- in 76 innings pitched. In the past he has made it clear that he would rather be a starter than come out of the bullpen.

Chavez has served as a utility player for the Mets in the past three seasons, hitting .267 with a homer and 12 RBI in 133 games in 2008. In his eight-year career with the Royals, Expos, Nationals, Phillies and Mets, Chavez has posted a .270 average with 17 homers, 177 RBI and 77 stolen bases in 773 games.

Carp, 22, had a .299 batting average with 17 homers and 72 RBI in 134 games this past season for the Mets' Double-A team in Binghamton. He was selected by New York in the ninth round of the 2004 MLB draft.

Gutierrez, who the Indians acquired in a trade that sent outfielder Milton Bradley to the Dodgers, hit .248 with eight homers and 41 RBI in 134 games last season for Cleveland. The 25-year-old has a .258 average with 22 homers and 85 RBI in 284 games for the Indians in parts of four seasons.

The 22-year-old Valbuena will head to the Indians with only 22 games of major league experience, having hit 12-for-49 with one RBI for the Mariners in 2008. He was signed by Seattle as a free agent in 2002 out of Venezuela.

Smith, who the Mets selected in the third round of the 2006 MLB draft, posted a 6-3 record with a 3.55 ERA in 82 games in 2008. In 136 career games in New York over two seasons, the 24-year-old Smith has a 9-5 record with a 3.51 ERA.

Cleto spent most of 2008 with the Mets' Single-A team in the South Atlantic League, posting a 5-11 record with a 4.25 ERA in 135 2/3 innings for the Savannah Sand Gnats.

Vargas, 25, last appeared in the major leagues in 2007 for New York, when he pitched 10 1/3 innings. In his three-year major league career with the Mets and Marlins, he has a 6-8 record with a 4.11 ERA in 127 innings pitched.

Carrera, 21, spent 2008 with the Mets' Single-A team in the South Atlantic League, posting a .263 average with seven homers, 29 RBI and 28 stolen bases, as he served as the team's leadoff hitter.

Enigma22

Reaction score
i always like gutierrez but the indians dont really need him with matt laporta most likely coming up to play outfield and they got sizemore and francisco who are better hitters then franklin. gutierrez was a great defensive player tho and when he was hot he was a great hitter. mets have a great bullpen now with putz and krod

circle

Reaction score
Hopefully the Mets don't choke in 2009.

I like the CC signing...it shows the Yankees will spend the money. Hopefully they get Burnett, or Sheets, or Lowe

MikeRaw

Free agent right-hander A.J. Burnett has reached preliminary agreement on a five-year, $82.5 million contract with the New York Yankees, according to ESPN.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman and Burnett's agent, Darek Braunecker are still reportedly negotiating final contract terms and the deal is expected to be complete once Burnett passes a physical exam.

Burnett, who turns 32 in January, will join CC Sabathia in the starting rotation in New York. Burnett had a strong season for the Toronto Blue Jays in 2008, going 18-10 with a 4.07 ERA over 221.1 innings and 231 strikeouts.

More to follow.
---------
TSN.ca

Holy fuck, the yankees just don't stop spending.
Now my Jays pitching is going to suck next year.

Enigma22

Reaction score
they might get ben sheets still and their pitching will be the best in baseball. its right about there already.

they should go after manny because they need some hitting because abreu is gone and so is giambi. i dont like the yankees but they are making this year interesting. i like them more then the red sox so id rather have them be about to beat the sox.

and i heard on sportcenter that manny might retire if he doesnt get some good offers. i doubt it will happen tho...

Enigma22

Reaction score
they are the favorites now but if boston can pick up texieria then they will be favorites again. personally i hope both teams die in a plane crash besides cc sabathia and he signs with cleveland again lol...

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
The Yankees do have an amazing starting lineup, but the bullpen leading up to Mariano might not be that strong. But all things look good here for the Yanks, but the entire division will be a bitch. If Teixiera signs with the Red Sox, I would be pissed.

Wordlife

hey, dont count out the Rays again... they were phenomenal this year

I'm super pissed my Cubs arent getting Peavy no more. Fucking idiots. Also, I dont like Milton Bradley, nor do I like Raul Ibanez... so whats the fucking point. We we're supposed to get Brian Roberts too, but it looks as if that wont happen either

circle

Reaction score
I still think the Cubs will get Peavy, but not right now...they do have to trade Jason Marquis first or during the process. Kevin Towers wants a kingdom, but nobody in their right mind will trade to the Pads what they are asking for

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
I love baseball. The Yankees signed Teixiera, and that literally came out of nowhere. They're not even done yet with signings, I see another pitcher coming in or a trade.

Enigma22

Reaction score
the red sox need someone to keep up with the yankees now and they obviously wont sign manny. idk what else they can do.

if the yankees sign manny ramierez they will be dominant...

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
the red sox need someone to keep up with the yankees now and they obviously wont sign manny. idk what else they can do.

if the yankees sign manny ramierez they will be dominant...

there's nowhere else Manny will go, like half of the MLB said no to him already. I'd want to see Manny go to the Yanks, but there's nowhere he fits in with like 5 outfielders already.