Official MLB Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Enigma22

Reaction score
SEATTLE -- The sunken Seattle Mariners finally released slugger Richie Sexson after a slump that lasted for most of two seasons and made him a target of constant booing from frustrated fans.

The team also on Thursday placed Opening Day starter Erik Bedard on the 15-day disabled list.

Wayward Mariner

Since signing his four-year, $50 million contract with Seattle in December 2004, Richie Sexson has 497 strikeouts in 2,102 plate appearances.

Most strikeouts, AL hitters, since '05* Player Strikeouts Plate app.
Grady Sizemore 507 2,609
Richie Sexson 497 2,102
Jhonny Peralta 496 2,199
Brandon Inge 463 2,043
Nick Swisher 463 2,215
*Entering Thursday's games.​

The Mariners would have loved to have been able to trade the .218-hitting Sexson, but his $14 million salary this season made that nearly impossible. So now Seattle is eating the rest of that money in what may be the first of multiple moves to rid the last-place team of underperforming veteran players.

The Mariners, bolstered by a player payroll of $117 million, expected to reach their first postseason since 2001. Instead they entered Thursday's game at Oakland at 36-55, 18 games out in the AL West. Seattle has already fired general manager Bill Bavasi and manager John McLaren and remains on track to become the first team with a $100 million payroll to lose 100 games.

The Mariners placed Bedard on the 15-day disabled list with stiffness in his left shoulder. The move, retroactive to July 5, means Bedard will be eligible to return on July 20 -- and will miss some chances to be showcased for teams interested in possibly trading for him before the July 31 deadline for deals without waivers. Bedard has just six wins in 15 starts and has not pitched since going five innings on July 4, extending his trend of not being able to pitch deep into games.

To fill the roster spots of Bedard and Sexson, Seattle recalled right-hander Jared Wells and selected the contract of infielder Tug Hulett from Triple-A Tacoma.

Sexson, a 33-year-old native of Brush Prairie, Wash., drive in just 30 runs in 74 games and has often been benched in favor of light-hitting and seldom-used Miguel Cairo. McLaren, on his way out last month, said Sexson was trying too hard and that a change of teams probably would be best for his sagging career.

Even during his 39- and 34-home run seasons for the Mariners in 2005 and '06, Sexson wasn't embraced by Seattle fans since arriving from Arizona with a four-year, $50 million contract on Dec. 15, 2004. Two days later, Adrian Beltre signed to overshadow Sexson.

Then came last season.

He hit a career-worst .205 with 21 homers and 100 strikeouts in '07, which ended with the Mariners mercifully shutting him down for the final weeks of September with a relatively minor leg injury.

He had the lowest on-base percentage (.295) of his career. His batting average was the lowest in the major leagues among those with at least 312 at bats. That would be fine with Seattle -- he has always been a slugger, not a hitter for average -- except Sexson's run production was also a career low for a full season not cut short by major injury.

This season brought more of the same. As of late last month, he had the lowest batting average of all regulars in the AL since the beginning of the '07 season.
from espn.com

ive always hated richie sexon and they were paying him 14 million to bat .218. good for the mariners lol...

also damn i didnt know grady sizemore struck out that much. thats terrible for a lead off hitter although he also had like 500 more atbats that anyone on that list

c4_FatTony

Reaction score
I laughed so hard when I saw this. I knew Richie sucked when he played here in Milwaukee and we traded him when his stock was high.

On a side note. Guess whose back on the DL? Thats right St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Mark Mulder who had just gotten off the DL is right back on it. So, I think that this forces the Cards to get out there and sign a strong pitcher or else they are not going anywhere this year.

Travis40

I'm not trying to be biased here...but why isn't Ian Kinsler starting the ASG and why is Robinson Cano starting in his spot?....Cano isn't leading the AL in Batting Avg, Cano doesn't have a 25 game hitting streak, Cano didn't break the Runs Before AS Break Record. Kinsler > Cano. It's just because Cano's from NY and the ASG's in NY this year.

BTW, I'm going with Longoria or Hamilton to win the HRD....I haven't seen anybody who wouldn't like to see Hamilton win it after all he's done in his life.

Enigma22

Reaction score
pedroia is starting i think. not cano... pedroia>kinsler

cano sucks dude. hes not even in the all star game

PeepShow

I'm not trying to be biased here...but why isn't Ian Kinsler starting the ASG and why is Robinson Cano starting in his spot?....Cano isn't leading the AL in Batting Avg, Cano doesn't have a 25 game hitting streak, Cano didn't break the Runs Before AS Break Record. Kinsler > Cano. It's just because Cano's from NY and the ASG's in NY this year.

Did you not notice it with 75% of the rest of the AL's starting lineup?

But yeah, I'm rooting for Hamilton in the HR derby as well. As long as Braun doesn't win it, I won't be too disappointed though.

Enigma22

Reaction score
there are only two yankee starters. there are 4 redsox starters tho i think

PeepShow

Yeah. Yanks and Sox. 6/9 starters. Pretty sad of the fans. Only half of them actually deserved it.

Enigma22

Reaction score
arod and jeter both are having very good seasons. especially arod. manny rameriz, dustin pedrioa, and kevin youkillis all deserve it. especially pedroia and youkillis cause they are pretty much the best defensive players at their posistions and they are both very good hitters. manny rameriz is in a little slump but hes still batting almost three hundred with 18 homeruns. they definitely deserve to be all stars. and ortiz is injured so hes not starting but hes still the best DH in the league...

Hometown Kid

Fukadome is starting in the ASG...good call by the fans tbh :y:

Enigma22

Reaction score
mclouth or ludwick or hart should have all started over fukudome...

PeepShow

arod and jeter both are having very good seasons. especially arod. manny rameriz, dustin pedrioa, and kevin youkillis all deserve it. especially pedroia and youkillis cause they are pretty much the best defensive players at their posistions and they are both very good hitters. manny rameriz is in a little slump but hes still batting almost three hundred with 18 homeruns. they definitely deserve to be all stars. and ortiz is injured so hes not starting but hes still the best DH in the league...

Jeter? That is a laughable statement. He's never finished a full season batting below .290. He's at like .280 now and only has 5 HR's. He's usually a 20 HR guy. Hardly the all-star this year. I love Jeter, but to say he is having a very good season is embarrassing. I'd rather take Michael Young this year over him.

Hometown Kid

mclouth or ludwick or hart should have all started over fukudome...

You are probably right about Mclouth...I disagree on Hart and Ludwick. I'm pretty sure Fukadome or Nate would have worked ok I'm not sold on the other 2.

Enigma22

Reaction score
i do agree that michael young deserves it but he will never beat jeter out in the voting and hes just barely doing better then jeter. and jeters better definsively...

^ and i dont know all that much about the national league but i know hart and ludwick are doing good...

Travis40

Jeter? That is a laughable statement. He's never finished a full season batting below .290. He's at like .280 now and only has 5 HR's. He's usually a 20 HR guy. Hardly the all-star this year. I love Jeter, but to say he is having a very good season is embarrassing. I'd rather take Michael Young this year over him.

I'm a really big Rangers mark...but I have to admit, Young really sucks this year. I think this year he won't get 200 hits again. Young got hurt...hit about .220 when he was hurt...then came back and got a 24 game hitting streak...ended it....sucked more...now he has a 14 or 15 game hitting streak. Young is a very overrated shortstop. Young has no range, Young can't go into the hole and make plays when they need them. When balls are hit up the middle, Kinsler comes up with about 90% of those balls...9% gets through and Young actually makes it to 1%.

Young has had much better years and I didn't think he deserved to go to the ASG this year....I really couldn't find any AL SS that really deserved to go this year....but I still voted for Young :wink_7: I'm really happy that Hamilton's starting....but it really pisses me off that Kinsler isn't a starter...and where the hell is Vicente Padilla? He's having an awesome season and somehow he gets overlooked.

Someone else that was overlooked (but probably didn't deserve the ASG votes this early in his career though) is David Murphy. He's in his rookie season and he's putting up numbers that are better than some veterans. Next year I see many, many more Rangers making it to the All Star Game...we'll see some votes for rookies like Chris Davis, Max Ramirez, Brandon Boggs, and David Murphy, as well as the normal starters like Michael Young, Ian Kinsler, Josh Hamilton, Milton Bradley, Kevin Millwood, and Vicinte Padilla.

Here's my breakdown of the Home Run Derby

Lance Berkman - Great power hitter, I get to watch him in Houston on TV...great fielder also...which of course doesn't help him in this :rolleyes: I see Berkman getting eliminated early

Ryan Braun - See "Jason Bay 2005 HRD"

Josh Hamilton - I watch almost every Rangers game and this guy is the person you want to come to the plate late in the game. AWESOME power hitter, he's my favorite leading into this thing. I'm putting it all on Hamilton.

Evan Longoria - He's going to surprise alot of people and make it a long way in this thing only to lose toward the end of it. Longoria will end up getting the most HR's in the 1st Round :yes:

Justin Morneau - Didn't get past the first round last year....only non-American in this...he won't do very good this year either.

Grady Sizemore - WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!? THIS GUY ISN'T A POWER HITTER....what the fuck?...why didn't they put Giambi in this fucking thing? Hell, you could even put Carlos Pena or Milton Bradley in this spot...but why Grady Sizemore?

Dan Uggla - MARK MY WORDS, UGGLA VS. HAMILTON IN THE FINALS...Uggla will hit some memorable homers tonight, but will just fall short behind Hamilton.

Chase Utley - Great hitter, I see him advancing toward the Finals...but he won't make it....he might win it next year.

Enigma22

Reaction score
^grady sizemore is leading the AL in homeruns dude lol. he really shouldnt be a leadoff hitter. he should be a three hitter probably... but hes a base stealer too so ya... i gotta say that hamilton is the favorite or maybe berkman... im gonna go with the final four are hamilton, berkman, utley, and either sizemore or morneau... i think berkman will win it

also ya when young is healthy hes a great hitter but hes not a great fielder... thats why jeter is such a star, cause hes a great hitter and a great fielder...