Official MLB Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Travis40

I so hope the Rays get the Wild Card position in the Playoffs.
As long as the Red Sox lose and the Rays keep winning, it's all good.

What if the Rangers and Angels keep winning?

The Rays AND Red Sox would be left out of the Playoffs :D

Troy Tulowitzki hit for the cycle!

As for Toronto getting players in the offseason, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hank Blalock get picked up by the Jays....then he'd actually get on base...the fucker :nonono:

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
Kevin Youkilis got pwned yesterday. He looked like a bitch, throwing his helmet and getting suplexed to the dirt by a smaller guy. It was hilarious.

Soulpower

^^^Lol, agreed. When I saw Youk rushing the mound I though the pitcher was going to get killed... Instead, he weakly threw his helmet at him. Oh well, at least the Sox won.

Soulpower

I'm sure people already know this (Or at least SHOULD know this), but Tim Lincecum is simply phenomenal.

Easily my favorite player in baseball at the moment. Might as well just give him his 2nd straight Cy Young award already.

straight_edge76

From the looks of it I believe that the AL East might not have 2 teams in the playoffs I think that Texas could very well get the wild card over TB and teh Dead-Sox.

Travis40

^Damn right >_>

I saw Ian Kinsler at a Minor League game in Tulsa tonight. I got his autograph :D

He went 0-2 though :(

Rangers won again, and Tommy Hunter looked great. I'm hoping he wins the AL ROTY.

Enigma22

Reaction score
i dont see what makes the rangers better then the red sox. not that i like the red sox. they are damn good tho. rangers are just above average imo.

boston has better starting pitching even tho smoltz and buckholz havent been too good. they got a better bullpen. their offense is potentially better too but they havent been playing as well as they can and they still have way better hitters then the rangers. the red sox every day line up is just so much better then the rangers line up.

the red sox are easily better in every way imo.

Travis40

I really doubt the Sox have a better bullpen.

Darren O' Day - 1.88 ERA, 38.1 IP, 24 H, 9 BB, 39 K
CJ Wilson - 3.20 ERA, 50.2 IP, 45 H, 20 BB, 54 K
Eddie Guardado - 4.09 ERA, 33 IP, 32 H, 12 BB, 17 K
Frank Francisco - 2.09 ERA, 30.1 IP, 19 H, 8 BB, 34 K
Doug Mathis - 2.79 ERA, 29 IP, 25 H, 7 BB, 15 K
Jason Grilli - 1.53 ERA, 17.2 IP, 9 H, 7 BB, 13 K
Neftali Feliz - 1.93 ERA, 4.2 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 8 K

Guardado and Wilson are the exceptions. They suck...but the rest of the bullpen is lights out.

Red Sox Bullpen
Ramon Ramirez - 2.32 ERA, 50.1 IP, 39 H, 21 BB, 36 K
Jonathan Papelbon - 2.17 ERA, 49.2 IP, 42 H, 20 BB, 54 K
Hideki Okajima - 3.00 ERA, 48 IP, 40 H, 17 BB, 45 K
Takashi Saito - 3.07 ERA, 41 IP, 35 H, 20 BB, 34 K
Daniel Bard - 2.88 ERA, 34.1 IP, 25 H, 14 BB, 44 K

I'm shocked at how many innings the Sox Bullpen has had to pitch. Their BB/K ratio is horrible. The only guys that have good BB/K ratios are Bard and Okajima. By looking at this, I think people always sell the Rangers short is becuase of the lesser known guys (Grilli, O'Day, Mathis, Francisco). Overall, the Rangers bullpen is far better than the Sox's.

Texas Rotation
Kevin Millwood - 9-7, 3.38 ERA, 144 IP, 140 H, 46 BB, 89 K
Scott Feldman - 11-4, 4.01 ERA, 125.2 IP, 115 H, 41 BB, 65 K
Derek Holland - 5-7, 5.04 ERA, 91 IP, 97 H, 30 BB, 76 K
Tommy Hunter - 5-2, 2.26 ERA, 55.2 IP, 46 H, 17 BB, 35 K
Dustin Nippert - 3-1, 3.62 ERA, 32.1 IP, 28 H, 12 BB, 30 K

I think Texas's rotation is built for 2010 or 2011. Holland has carried a No Hitter into at least the 5th inning in 2 of his last 3 starts against Seattle and Los Angeles. Hunter should win ROTY. Nippert was just moved into the rotation this week since Padilla is gone. Millwood has been horrible over the past month or two. Feldman's ERA has went up, but he's got 11 wins. Not a very good K total for the starters.

Boston's Rotation
Josh Beckett - 14-4, 3.10 ERA, 157 IP, 132 H, 42 BB, 145 K
Jon Lester - 9-7, 3.67 ERA, 147 IP, 140 H, 46 BB, 165 K
Brad Penny - 7-6, 5.16 ERA, 122 IP, 142 H, 37 BB, 79 K
Tim Wakefield - 11-3, 4.31 ERA, 108.2 IP, 113 H, 37 BB, 67 K
Clay Buchholz - 1-2, 5.33 ERA, 25.1 IP, 34 H, 16 BB, 17 K

Boston's rotation is mainly built on veterans (Beckett, Lester, Penny Wakefield), and they're all performing well (lol, Brad Penny). The only 2 guys in the rotation that go deep into games are Lester and Beckett. If the Sox made the Playoffs, I wouldn't be happy with this rotation. If the Sox offense was working the first two days, they would be up 2-0, but I'm not so sure about the next 3 games if the offense doesn't come through. Buchholz is young, so he's obviously going to improve, and I've seen a bit of him. He looks very impressive.

Overall, I think it's a tossup for starting pitching. If you were going with the Sox argument, you could point out Beckett and Lester. If you were arguing for the Rangers, you could point out how only 2 guys have an ERA over 4.00.

Here's the normal lineup for the Rangers

1. Ian Kinsler
2. Michael Young
3. Josh Hamilton
4. Nelson Cruz
5. Hank Blalock
6. David Murphy
7. Andruw Jones
8. Jarrod Saltalamacchia
9. Elvis Andrus

I feel that only 3 of those guys truly know how to hit (Andrus, Murphy, Young). Most of the other guys just try to go yard all of the time (Blalock, Jones, Cruz), 1 guy I've never EVER seen hit the ball to right field (Kinsler), 1 is probably a bust (Hamilton), and 1 just doesn't know how to hit a baseball (Salty). Part of the blame goes to the Rangers hitting coach, who goes with the "all or nothing" approach, and also teaches hitters to swing at the first good pitch, no matter what the count, and no matter what the situation. That allows opposing pitchers to get TONS of first pitch outs.

Here's the Sox's lineup

1. Jacoby Ellsbury
2. Dustin Pedroia
3. Victor Martinez
4. Kevin Youkilis
5. David Ortiz
6. Jason Bay
7. Nick Green
8. JD Drew
9. Mike Lowell

(Not in order, becuase idk their batting order)

Tons of OBP guys who can hit for power (Pedroia, V-Mart, Bay, Youk, Drew, Lowell). These guys are just studs at hitting. They have a great plate approach, and if I had a choice, I would want any one of these guys on my team (except Youk and Green...and Pedroia...I just hate them >_>). Great group of hitters, and probably the best hitting team in the Majors.

In hitting, I'd have to go with Boston

Overall, they're about the same, and with the Rangers leading the head to head 5-1, I'd have to say that the Rangers are the better team this year. September is going to be interesting for the Rangers and the Sox. I can't wait for the Sox/Rangers series this weekend.

lol, it only took me 15 minutes to do this...thought it'd take me longer :dry:

Enigma22

Reaction score
the only think i really disagree with you with is about the bullpen. the red sox bullpen has the lowest era in the AL. doesnt that make them the best bullpen?

i know u said wilson are guardado suck but they have pitched a shit load of innings so u have to include them.

also wakefield was having a decent season before he got hurt which really hurt bostons rotation. i think their starting pitching will be damn good in the playoffs cause you really only need 3 starters in the playoffs. beckett, lester, and wakefield would be pretty good. only team that could beat that in the AL is the yankees imo.

Soulpower

Overall, they're about the same, and with the Rangers leading the head to head 5-1, I'd have to say that the Rangers are the better team this year.

I wouldn't put much stock into their regular season meetings. I remember the Angels beating up on Boston in the regular season, only to lose to them in the 1st round of the playoffs.

By the way, unless Boston makes a comeback in the 9th, it looks like Texas will only trail them by half a game in the Wild Card standings, as Texas won their game against Cleveland.

PeepShow

Nice last place team Pittsburgh has. You should feel really good about that win.