Official Doctor Who Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Storm Trooper

If I can be Storm Trooper for a Minute
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
samizayn
Favorite Wrestler
7rtdSS0
Favorite Wrestler
88j8DYn
Favorite Wrestler
LmZfvje
Favorite Sports Team
RRzOmtg
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si

Tomorrow! Maybe after I watch Jodie's last Episode I download all the Episodes with Matt Smith as the Doctor. I loved him in the House of Dragons Show he must be just as awesome during his run with the role.

I haven't seen that Dragons show (or the show it is based off of), but I bet he was awesome on that program. Only other thing I've seen him in post-Who is The Crown (where he was good as well).

Matt Smith was awesome. Definitely go back and watch it. My personal favorite Doctor.

Reactions: Apoho Creed

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Oh thank God this thread is here.... I knew coming to this here forumwas a good idea.

I can't wait for the new episode. I had hopes for Chibnall and Jodie. But Jodie never had a chance to get over with the bad writing. Don't get me wrong I enjoy that he threw the history in flux with Jo Martin's Doctor. And Sacha Dhawan has been such a good Master that I want RTD to keep him around.

I can't wait to see who Jodie regenerates into.
Also it's already been confirmed who the next Doctor is.

Storm Trooper

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
samizayn
Favorite Wrestler
7rtdSS0
Favorite Wrestler
88j8DYn
Favorite Wrestler
LmZfvje
Favorite Sports Team
RRzOmtg
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Personally for me, the Timeless Child is going to be the legacy of Chibnall, and it will in retrospect be a damning indictment of just how bad his run was.
I.... like the idea. I'm glad they give us a reason why the character can regenerate more than other Time Lords, and it makes sense. I hate that they practically killed off the evil mastermind who tortured The Doctor like it was nothing. That character should have been a series-long villain.

Storm Trooper

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
samizayn
Favorite Wrestler
7rtdSS0
Favorite Wrestler
88j8DYn
Favorite Wrestler
LmZfvje
Favorite Sports Team
RRzOmtg
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
I.... like the idea. I'm glad they give us a reason why the character can regenerate more than other Time Lords, and it makes sense. I hate that they practically killed off the evil mastermind who tortured The Doctor like it was nothing. That character should have been a series-long villain.

The issue is that it was already established why the Doctor could regenerate again after Matt Smith.

The Time Lords gave him a new cycle in Matt Smith's final episode, which he commented on.

Additionally, it was established in 1976 that Time Lords could get a new regeneration cycle if they basically pulled off some chicanery (The Deadly Assassin). The Master was at the end of his regeneration cycle and somehow managed to garner a new one (see Keeper of Trakken/Logopolis/Castrovalva).

The biggest slap in the face is that it breaks established lore and considerably ruins everything about the character as we had come to know him. The Doctor, in the beginning, albeit mysterious, wasn't anyone special. By Time Lord standards, he was more or less a renegade idiot who just stole his time box. The entire point of the Doctor as a character was that he wasn't special, but because he did good things, had a good heart, and cared about people, he was someone that could be looked up to. Even the viewer, who by many metrics wouldn't be someone special, could make a difference to others by doing good for the world. Not to mention it breaks the (already pretty wonky) continuity of the Chameleon circuit being broken, as established at the very beginning of the show in 1963, by giving the Timeless Child doctor a TARDIS that is stuck as a 1963-era Police Box too.

There were at least five things from the original show that was inflexible canon to the Doctor's identity that have now been stupidly thrown out the window for a shallow reveal that, while it doesn't change the Doctor's motivations, it completely rewrites everything that had been a hardline up to that point:

- The Doctor is an exiled traveler that can travel through time and space (An Unearthly Child, The First Doctor, 1963)

- The Doctor's time machine was broken, and its chameleon circuit was broken to a 1963-era police box. The Doctor could not fix this because it had *just* been broken. (An Unearthly Child, The First Doctor, 1963)

- The Doctor originally used murder, lying, scheming, and cold-hearted threats to achieve what he wanted. (An Unearthly Child, The First Doctor, 1963 | The Daleks, The First Doctor, 1964 | The Edge of Destruction, The First Doctor, 1964)

- The Doctor learns compassion, empathy, and humility after nearly having two of his companions killed in a near-death experience. (The Edge of Destruction, The First Doctor, 1964)

- The Doctor can regenerate into a new body and form at the end of his life cycle (The Tenth Planet, The First/Second Doctor, 1966)

- The Doctor comes from a race of people known as the Time Lords, who control time and space. He has also been on the run from them for a long time. (The War Games, The Second Doctor, 1969)

- The Time Lords tolerate the existence of the Doctor and occasionally assign him on missions they know only he can accomplish (The Three Doctors, The First/Second/Third Doctor, 1972)

- The planet from which the Time Lords live is known as Gallifrey (The Time Warrior, The Third Doctor, 1973)

- The Time Lords maintain a 12-Regeneration cycle, allowing for 13 incarnations in total. (The Deadly Assassin, The Fourth Doctor, 1976)

- The Doctor has been offered the position of Lord High President on no more than three occasions. (The Deadly Assassin, The Fourth Doctor, 1976 | The Five Doctors, The Fifth Doctor, 1983 | The Ultimate Foe, The 6th Doctor, 1986)

- The Doctor wasn't just some renegade Time Lord, but he was also generally considered a below-average, if not less intelligent Time Lord compared to others. (The Ribos Operation, The Fourth Doctor, 1978)

Now then, with those hard-line lore dumps for the Doctor's backstory, there have been more controversial things that have been more or less waved off not just by canon, but by the fandom itself. These have either been completely ignored or not entirely confirmed by future canon.

- The Doctor had more than just his four incarnations beforehand. (The Brain of Morbius, The Fourth Doctor, 1976)

- The Doctor is more than he seems, possibly one of the original founders of space and time travel for the Time Lords, (Remembrance of the Daleks, The Seventh Doctor, 1988 | Battlefield, The Seventh Doctor, 1989 | The Curse of Fenric, The Seventh Doctor, 1989)

- The Doctor is half-human on his mother's side. (The Television Movie, The Ninth Doctor, 1996)

While the Brain of Morbius is perhaps the baseline for the whole Timeless Child idea, it wasn't ever confirmed entirely, and it still never made it so the Doctor was an immortal demigod. The Doctor was still, just a regular Time Lord renegade. The 7th Doctor's secret arc, known by fans as the "Cartmel Masterplan", never came to fruition because the show's canceled in 1989, but it at the very least would have done a lot to actually explain why the Doctor was a renegade and an outcast to his own people. After all, Rassilon was dead, and Omega had been trapped in a negative universe that The Doctor created. It was a bad idea but was still within the realms of plausibility for why The Doctor was the way he was throughout the series. As for the Half-Human Time Lord idea, it was stupid from the start and the fandom and the canon of the show have entirely ignored it.

It was only starting with RTD (and kicked into overdrive by Moffatt) that the Doctor became more than just a strange alien that innately knew what good was. He, rather myopically, became "The Chosen One" when the Doctor in incarnations past would have fucking hated that title and responsibility, and would have run from it at every chance. There's a reason the 4th, 5th, and 6th Doctors all turned down the chance to become Lord President of Gallifrey; they fucking hated responsibility and didn't want to be important. The only reason the 10th and 11th eventually accepted the responsibility of being "the chosen one" was that they were given no other choice but to do that; after all, who else would have saved the universe from something he himself started (and yes, I am saying the Doctor himself is the cause for every universal near-catastrophe). It was the Doctor that caused the Time War. It was the Doctor that ended it with Gallifrey's destruction (and subsequent "rescue"), and it was the Doctor that had caused everything after this.

TL/DR:

It ruined the context of Who (pun intended) the Doctor was. Instead of a rebellious time lord who did good things and became a legend because of it, they're now preternaturally the Chosen One who was born special, was always special, and will always *be* special. If the message of the original series was that "Anyone can be special by their actions.", then by the context of the reveal is that, "The Doctor was always special, and everything they did was because they were special. Nobody else could do what the Doctor has done, because he's so special!"

Last edited:

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
So I watched the very first Episode of Season 5 involving Matt Smith as the Doctor and I can totally see why he's one of the favs in the franchise. No Tardis, no Screwdriver, and he saves the World from destruction within 20 Minutes pretty awesome. Prisoner Zero to me was pretty funny to me the Creature thought welp I've been training for 12 Years I've got this and it found out ya you don't have it in the bag at all fool. I really liked the ET kind of homage with young Amy and the Doctor with the Food as he changes his cravings more times than a pregnant Woman during that Scene.

Pretty crazy he was gone for 12 Years after that what was he doing? Anyways I liked the dynamic Adult Amy and The Doctor have with each other very much looking forward to that relationship developing further as I keep watching. A journey begins and the Wedding needs to be put on hold for now.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
So I watched the very first Episode of Season 5 involving Matt Smith as the Doctor and I can totally see why he's one of the favs in the franchise. No Tardis, no Screwdriver, and he saves the World from destruction within 20 Minutes pretty awesome. Prisoner Zero to me was pretty funny to me the Creature thought welp I've been training for 12 Years I've got this and it found out ya you don't have it in the bag at all fool. I really liked the ET kind of homage with young Amy and the Doctor with the Food as he changes his cravings more times than a pregnant Woman during that Scene.

Pretty crazy he was gone for 12 Years after that what was he doing? Anyways I liked the dynamic Adult Amy and The Doctor have with each other very much looking forward to that relationship developing further as I keep watching. A journey begins and the Wedding needs to be put on hold for now.

He transported the TARDIS back to the wrong time. He meant to be right back but his TARDIS sent him 12 years into the future instead.

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
It's funny I never really enjoyed Matt Smith the first time for some reason but he's really grown on me in later watches. I think I just had a hard time adjusting from David Tennant because he was so incredible in the role. Really enjoy a lot of Smith's episodes now.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
It's funny I never really enjoyed Matt Smith the first time for some reason but he's really grown on me in later watches. I think I just had a hard time adjusting from David Tennant because he was so incredible in the role. Really enjoy a lot of Smith's episodes now.

Probably has a lot to do with Moffatt's writing, which is very noticeably sup-par.

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
Another Scene I really enjoyed in the first Episode is Adult Amy talking to that older Lady and you find out Amy has been telling people around Town that she dabbles like being a Nurse, a Nun, and Officer among things :lol

I can see right off when Smith as the Doctor tells you everything is going to be fine you believe him. Which is why I'll say again watch House of the Dragons he's amazing as Daemon and you don't have to know or have watched Game of Thrones to enjoy the Show.

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS

Tenant I'll be watching his run after I finish Matt Smith's run. I'm looking forward to this one as we get to see our new Doctor Who as well in that one.

Last edited:

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms

Holy shit. I did not actually expect that twist.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
In fact so far I did not expect any of this for Power of The Doctor

Storm Trooper

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
samizayn
Favorite Wrestler
7rtdSS0
Favorite Wrestler
88j8DYn
Favorite Wrestler
LmZfvje
Favorite Sports Team
RRzOmtg
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
In fact so far I did not expect any of this for Power of The Doctor
I thoroughly enjoyed the episode. I hope the not expecting any of this is a good thing.

Storm Trooper

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
samizayn
Favorite Wrestler
7rtdSS0
Favorite Wrestler
88j8DYn
Favorite Wrestler
LmZfvje
Favorite Sports Team
RRzOmtg
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Well we know he's the next doctor. But that doesn't mean they don't have a pit-stop before Ncuti starts. Tennant's doing the 60th specials which are the next shows.
Bumping this.... I honestly didn't know if RTD would do that. I figured they'd do a multi-Doctor episode next, not go back to an old face.