Official 2014 wrestling challenge

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Pop Tatari

Christian vieri
Reaction score
With wwe matches included does that also mean we can review matches from promotions that they own the rights to in their video library?

Shadie T

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
elgenerico
Favorite Wrestler
claudiocastagnoli
Favorite Wrestler
joeyryan
Match: WGTT Vs D-Line
Promotion: ROH
Show: Random ROH TV from 2012 too lazy to check.
Rating: strong 2, weak 2.5
In Depth: I was looking forward to this match when watching this episode, I saw WGTT and then saw 2 guys who I believed would be more ACH but ended up more C and C Shit Factory, was a pretty weak match, D LIne were sloppy and it seemed more publicity for their program with kids than focussing on wrestling, if they were trying to impress people it didn't work and its not surprising they are not on the roster to this day.
Match Counter: 1

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Here are the updated rules, also added to the OP:
Rules:
  • Matches have to be 10 minutes long or more
  • Any promotion is allowed, WWE, TNA, ROH, New Japan etc etc
  • Keep up your own match count
I went with seabs suggestion of 200 matches minimum.

Also updated participants list.
It's 2014 now so lets get cracking like Adam has.

Reactions: Shadie T and seabs

Shadie T

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
elgenerico
Favorite Wrestler
claudiocastagnoli
Favorite Wrestler
joeyryan
Match: Chikara Show Off: The Colony Vs Los Ice Creams and Orphinion (Think thats his name)
Show: Same random ROH 2012 TV show I am too lazy to find out
Rating: 2.5
In Depth: As the other match pretty weak, I have seen all of these guys in Chikara and come on, really? This match was sloppy and slow compared to their Chikara bouts, this may be a different style ROH wants them to work under but I am just comparing to the Chikara style, UltraMantis Black was on commentary to hype up Chikara, it was really just promotion but they really could have had something a lot better.

Adam's Match Counter: 2

Shadie T

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
elgenerico
Favorite Wrestler
claudiocastagnoli
Favorite Wrestler
joeyryan
Btw I am going to busy pretty busy tomorrow so might as well get these done when I still feel motivated.

Shadie T

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
elgenerico
Favorite Wrestler
claudiocastagnoli
Favorite Wrestler
joeyryan
Match: Austin Aries Vs Sami Callihan
Show: Eliminate The Competition
Rating: 3.5
In Depth: Very solid bout here, Aries playing his character to a tee and his heat mid match was awesome, the last 4 minutes were explosive, overall a very enjoyable bout.

Adam's Match Counter: 3

Reactions: THG?

THG?

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Match: Austin Aries Vs Sami Callihan
Show: Eliminate The Competition
In Depth: Very solid bout here, Aries playing his character to a tee and his heat mid match was awesome, the last 4 minutes were explosive, overall a very enjoyable bout.

Adam's Match Counter: 3
I remember watching this match, really good. Will review some matches tomorrow I suppose.

Shadie T

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
elgenerico
Favorite Wrestler
claudiocastagnoli
Favorite Wrestler
joeyryan
I remember watching this match, really good. Will review some matches tomorrow I suppose.
I have barely seen any of Callihan's work but if that is the norm im excited to see more

Stopspot

Reaction score
Gothenburg wrestling, Extreme Vendetta (took place on November 9th 2013)

El Excentrico vs Guldkalven (the golden calf)

Rating: 2.5 stars

Comment: First match of the card and the debut of Excentrico. According to cagematch Excentrico has been working for 5 years but he still seems to need a lot of work. A lot of his offence looks like it doesn’t connect and he doesn’t have the pace for a luchador. Calf had to carry a lot of the match, and sadly had to eat the pin to put over the rookie and sell the feud between him and his own twin brother Ante Cimex (who was watching from the ramp) and sell their title match in Swedish Wrestling South (Calf is at this point in time the Swedish Wrestling South Champ).

Don Khalif vs Aquila Roja

Comment: Much better match than the earlier one. Was originally set up to be Khalif and his muscle Niefelwarg vs Roja and his partner Hank Havoc, but in storyline the reason Warg was teaming with Khalif was because he was being paid, and when he found out he was getting fake money he bailed, leading to a singles match instead. Khalif is a good heel with fun mannerisms (Italian playboy gimmick) and he knows how to tell a story, and Roja worked as the babyface. But the match was just a set up for an upcoming feud instead of a feud ender. Still a fun little jaunt that didn’t overstay its welcome, something was just missing.

FVN vs Ante Cimex

Rating: 3.9

Comment: FVN is a Danish import and the Danish light heavyweight champ, and Cimex is alongside his brother one of the best wrestlers in Sweden. This was a good light heavyweight match. No real comments on it, like the opener it was just as a vehicle for Cimex vs Calf in SWS later that month. Both men played their parts well.

Big D vs Harley Rage (GBG debut)

Rating: 3.0

Comment: D is another Danish import and a good heat magnet in GBG, so he was the right guy to put up against Rage in his debut. Rage is a big dude, around 6ft7 ish and weighing in at 140kgs. He hasn’t been wrestling long but he is a SWS product and they have the best academy in the country and he has carved himself a spot in SWS so he’ll likely do well in GBG as well. I felt that D got a little too much offence in for the kind of guy they wanted to sell Rage as, but a nice story was told with D, who isn’t a small guy either being shocked at facing someone bigger and stronger than himself. Rage goes over, crowd is happy.

Masters of the mystic arts (Bad Buddah and Scandinavian Shiva) vs Damage inc (CHAOS & Michael Schenkenberg) for the Danish tag straps

Rating: weak 4

Comment: At an earlier GBG show, Shiva pinned Schenkenberg (a German) to earn a shot at the Danish tag titles for himself and Buddah, and this is the result of that match. Three big dudes and one smaller guy in Shiva, all three solid workers though. Shiva goes into this match with a shoulder injury and that becomes a tool for the heels throughout the match. Shiva works a lot of this match as the FIP. Crowd enjoyed this match, eating up the moment Buddah got the hot tag. Damage inc retains the belts and get booed like hell by the crowd. Best match of the night so far.

Conny Mejsel (Screwdriver) vs Steinbolt © for the GBG world title.

Rating: 4.0

Comment: The big blood feud of GBG for all of 2013. Conny Mejsel is the biggest name in Swedish wrestling right now and one of the best workers and one of the best characters in it to boot (a fun loving Stone Cold of sorts, who rocks a mean mullet) who in late 2012 won the GBG belt in a one night elimination tournament, after winning Steinbolt cashed in a title shot he won at an earlier point, stealing the moment Conny had worked so hard for. Steinbolt spent all of 2013 defending the belt and now one year+ later Conny is getting his hands on him one on one finally. Steinbolt isn’t as good a wrestler as Conny though still good. His strength lies in his character work and that he might be the best psychologists in Swedish wrestling and knows how to put together a story. One downside is that all kayfabe staff is a bit too on the side of Conny (the ring announcer announced the match as “the time the belt comes to its rightful home”), it might just be me: but I feel that that type of staff should be unbiased. Gothenburg loves its hometown hero Mejsel though, no doubt about it.

The match started as a technical match, but soon evolved into a brawl between two men who can’t stand each other. They told a good story here, with ref bumps, run ins and brawls. Steinbolt has the crowd in the palm of his hand. Match of the night and a great way to top off this part of the feud. Looking forward to the next step of this rivalry.

You can watch the full event here.

Match count: 6

Roi

Champion
Reaction score
Match Counter: 1
Match: Cesaro vs Regal
Promotion: NXT
Show: WWE NXT 12/25/13
Rating: ****1/4
Review: Decided to watch this match now so it could be the first match I rate. Cesaro and Regal are two awesome wrestlers that have already shown the world what they're capable of. Both men have had outstanding matches during this year in NXT (Regal vs Ohno, Zayn vs Cesaro).
The match looked like it was going to be focused on mat rassling (Its regal duh). Great job from the commentary table, trying to make the viewers believe that Regal stills one of the best wrestlers the WWE can offer us (I guess they have to do this because everytime he appears on RAW/SD he has 3 min matches)
After more or less 10 (Awesome) minutes, Cesaro started to focus on the left leg of W. Regal who sold it in a great way. When Regal took some momentum, one of the biggest spots of the match took place. That sick Uppercut. Crowd was really really into it during the whole match. There's a point when one of the commentators said "Boo Cesaro, come on people". If you're a wrestling fan and you understand a lil bit about wrestling you know you just cant boo him. You just sit and watch the fuckin show he puts on. The match told an awesome story and I loved the respect Cesaro showed at the end. Awesome NXT match to end 2013. Awesome match to start my 2014 (1/1/2014 4:56 am)

1. William Regal vs Antonio Cesaro NXT 25/12/2013 ****1/4

Stopspot

Reaction score
Christian Cage vs Jeff Jarrett (c) for the NWA world title.
Rating: 4
Comment: The Against all odds 2006 main event. Jarrrett walks in as a long running champ against the challenge Christian. Decent match up but the story and moment it took in TNA history enhanced it a lot. Christian finally getting a world title after 12 years in the ring was a feel good moment and one of the corner stones in TNA history.

Match count: 7

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
So, you're going to review matches as well? I thought there's other topic for that, opened by that weird dude.

Shadie T

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
elgenerico
Favorite Wrestler
claudiocastagnoli
Favorite Wrestler
joeyryan
Match: Dirty Heels Vs Bad Influence w/ Special Guest Ref James Storm
Promotion: TNA
Show: Random iMPACT
In Depth: Very solid bout, really enjoyed the Heel Vs Heel, the double eye rake comedy was done perfectly without a hitch, both teams got some heat in and the ending went with the story well.

Adam's Match Counter: 4