NFL 2011 Off-Season thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben

Reaction score
Still not big on Cam Newton, and I think the guy is going to end up being Jamarcus Russel 2.0, not big on any of the QB's this year, but I can't see them all being busts.

Packers are rumored to want Ingram if he falls to them at 32, which I don't see happening.

Kairi

Reaction score
anyone watching rounds 2 and 3 tonight?

Kairi

Reaction score
Baltimore Ravens Pro-Bowl linebacker Ray Lewis and former NFL cornerback Reggie Howard are leading the humanitarian and emotional assistance to a 10-year-old New York boy who was the lone survivor after his mother drove a van carrying him, his brothers and his sister, into the Hudson River on April 12.

On April 30, Lewis and Howard each pledged $10,000 to a relief fund at a Manhattan fund-raiser that will provide La’Shaun Armstrong with counseling and tutoring sponsored by the United Athletes Foundation.

“This is a hard situation and he is forever changed,” Lewis told The New York Post. “We are not going to let him do it alone. We are going to be here for him forever.”

Armstrong’s mother, Lashanda, drowned, along with three of her other children. Authorities believe the woman drove the vehicle into the river following an argument with her boyfriend.

La’Shaun Armstrong survived by climbing out of a window and was rescued by a passing driver.

Lewis told reporters that he reached out to the boy as soon as heard about the tragedy. He says Armstrong needed a strong male influence in his life because his biological father, Todd Johnson, is in prison.

Armstrong’s family agreed that the 10-year-old needs help. Armstrong’s uncle, Tymare Armstrong, said the youngster often has trouble sleeping.

“Day by day he starts realizing what happened,” Tymare Armstrong told The New York Daily News. “There are some nights he stays up with the light on.”

La’Shaun Armstrong admitted that he was struggling with the tragedy, but thanked the UAF for helping him and his family. The boy now lives with his grandmother.

“I’d like to thank the UAF for fund-raising this money for my family and I'd like to thank Ray and Reggie for being there for me and taking care of me when I need help,” the boy said during the event, according to the Post.?
The fundraiser was a part UAF’s charity weekend co-hosted by Lewis and actress Vivica Fox. The weekend included a father and son bowling tournament, a pro athlete summit on financial reform, and health screenings.

Lewis is no stranger to community service; his Ray Lewis Foundation serves underprivileged and disadvantaged youth in Baltimore. Since the foundation’s creation, it has been able to provide Thanksgiving dinner to over 5,000 families and, this winter, provided coats, gloves, hats and blankets to 300 children and seniors in Baltimore City.
weep.png

The legendary linebacker took Armstrong bowling this week, which the boy described as "awesome," and former NFL cornerback Reggie Howard took the Middletown, N.Y. child to buy a suit.

"I don't want to come into his life for a phase," Lewis told the Daily News. "I want to be in his life forever"

Killswitch

Reaction score
It may just be me...But I could see no stars coming from this draft. All of the QBs could be busts, and the wideouts don't blow me away. Even the defenders seem a little lackluster compared to previous years. A total blah draft.

Kairi

Reaction score
Chad Ochocinco to try bull riding

10:22 PM, May. 10, 2011 | 8Comments
TwitterFacebookShare
Del.icio.us Digg Reddit Facebook Twitter Newsvine FarkIt EmailPrintAAA

Written by
Associated Press Filed Under
Sports
Bengals
DULUTH, Ga. – Chad Ochocinco now is going to try bull riding.

The Bengals receiver who earlier this year had a tryout with Sporting Kansas City of Major League Soccer, has accepted a challenge from Professional Bull Riders chief operating officer Sean Gleason to ride a bull at the LucasOil Invitational this weekend in Duluth.

Ochocinco will earn $10,000 if he rides a bull. If he can stay aboard for the required eight seconds, the PBR will give Ochocinco a new Ford F-150, as well as allow him to rename the bull.

Gleason says Ochocinco is “a gifted athlete, but bull riding is a much different sport and climbing on the back of a bull in the chutes takes a little more than Twitter confidence, let alone calling for the gate (to open).”

Kairi

Reaction score
Ex-NFL QB Kordell Stewart arrested near Atlanta
14 hours ago

Loading... Share No Thanks Must Read?Thank YouYes 1Share |
Email Story Discuss Print
ATLANTA (AP) — Authorities say former NFL quarterback and ESPN analyst Kordell Stewart has been charged with driving with a suspended license and speeding.

Fulton County sheriff's spokeswoman Tracy Flanagan said Stewart was booked into jail in the Atlanta suburb of Alpharetta Wednesday and freed on $3,000 bond about four hours later.

Stewart is scheduled to appear in court July 12. It wasn't immediately known whether he has an attorney.

The Louisiana native played in the NFL for 11 seasons. He played eight with the Pittsburgh Steelers from 1995 through 2002. He also played for the Chicago Bears and the Baltimore Ravens. In college, he played for Colorado.

ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said the network had just learned about the incident and was looking into it.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Chad just too damn bored lol. Guy can get damn near killed doing that.

Kairi

Reaction score
Ray Lewis thinks crime will increase with no NFL season

By Shane Bacon

For all the craziness that is associated with Ray Lewis, the man sure does seem to speak the truth on big issues. The latest one? How the lockout might affect our society as a whole, and what it might do to the nation's crime rate.

No, he isn't just talking about the players. Ray thinks if the lockout continues and there is no NFL season, crime will increase because people will be so distraught without one of their favorite past times.

This all came out from his ESPN interview, and here was exactly what Ray said.

"Do this research if we don't have a season -- watch how much evil, which we call crime, watch how much crime picks up, if you take away our game."

"There's too many people that live through us, people live through us," he said. "Yeah, walk in the streets, the way I walk the streets, and I'm not talking about the people you see all the time."

Kairi

Reaction score
Braylon Edwards pays for 100 kids to go to college <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

Jets wide receiver Braylon Edwards is a man of his word. And because he is, 100 students are going to college on his dime.

In 2007, Edwards promised 100 Cleveland high school students that he would pay for their college tuition---a total value of $1 million---if they maintained grade point averages at 2.5 or higher and performed 15 hours of community service. The students lived up to their end of the bargain, and now Edwards is living up to his end, according to CBSSports.com and the Detroit Free Press.

Braylon Edwards will pay roughly $1 million in college tuition to 100 high school students. (AP photo)
"As the 2nd most hated man in Clev & a man of my word, today I will honor a promise made to 100 students in Cleveland years ago," Edwards tweeted. "The last of my Advance 100 students will graduate from my program and head off to college on scholarships that I will provide them with. Guys, enjoy and embrace your new beginnings and remember your promise to me, to reach back & help someone else along the way."

A former University of Michigan receiver and a Detroit native, Edwards, 28, was a first-round draft pick of the Browns in 2005. His time in Cleveland was sometimes marked by controversy and in October 2009, the Browns traded him to the Jets.

Edwards, who caught 53 passes for 904 yards and seven touchdowns last season, is currently unsigned but says he would like to return to the Jets. The team has two other free-agent receivers in Santonio Holmes and Brad Smith, and it seems unlikely they'll be able to sign all three.

Kairi

Reaction score
tim-tebow-book.jpg

i didn't know he had a book o_O

Kairi

Reaction score
Braylon Edwards Crashes Into Bath House <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
<a href="http://img560.imageshack.us/i/braylonedwards.jpg/" target="_blank">

From The Detroit Free Press
Detroit native and former Michigan football player Braylon Edwards was involved in a minor car accident on Belle Isle early this morning, according to Detroit police.

Edwards, a wide receiver for the New York Jets, lost control of his 2011 Audi at about 3:40 a.m., drove onto the grass and struck a pylon, police said.

Edwards, police said, had a male passenger in the car. Neither was injured.

Link to video: http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/28346418/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.