NFL 2011 Off-Season thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baller

Reaction score
They have been going backwards in negotiations lately. Still we should get a full season.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
The dumbest part of this whole thing that they are debating over is the 18 game season they are trying to have. They do all this talk about player safety yet want more games which means more wear and tear on their bodies.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah, it's unfortunate that the NFL owners don't give a shit about the players who bring in all that money for them. They just want more money, they don't care what the game of football does to the players physically,as long as there making money.

Kairi

Reaction score
Titans face QB quandary after Collins ends 16-year careerNFL.com Wire Reports
Published: July 7, 2011 at 02:26 p.m. Updated: July 7, 2011 at 08:18 p.m. Liked: 4 | Comments: 102 Email Like
Print Read Discuss Friend(s) Email Your Email Send Email By NFL.com Wire Reports More Columns >
Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

Quarterback Kerry Collins announced his retirement from the NFL on Thursday, ending his 16-year career and possibly speeding up the Jake Locker era for the Tennessee Titans.

Collins, the Titans' off-and-on starter since 2006, released a statement in which he said after several months of "introspection," he decided that "my willingness to commit to the preparation necessary to play another season has waned to a level that I feel is no longer adequate to meet the demands of the position."

Brooks: What now, Titans?
Kerry Collins' retirement will force the Titans to quickly explore their QB options, and Bucky Brooks believes the team's backup plans should begin and end with a prominent veteran. More ... That sounded much different than comments Collins made to The Tennessean in June, when he said: "I know I still have good football left in me, and I want to see where (the Titans are) at, too. If it makes sense on both sides to do it, I'd be good for coming back."

But Collins isn't coming back, so the Titans are left with first-round draft pick Locker and second-year pro Rusty Smith at quarterback. The team said earlier this year that it would trade or release Vince Young, its 2006 first-round pick, after a tumultuous time together.

"I want to wish Mike Munchak and the Tennessee Titans the best of luck in the future," Collins said Thursday in his statement. "I have had a fantastic five years here, and my family and I look forward to remaining part of the Middle Tennessee community that has been extremely gracious towards us and an honor to play for."

Collins, 38, enjoyed his best season with the Titans in 2008, when he took over for an injured Young and started 15 games, going 12-3 as the team won the AFC South. Collins then signed a two-year, $15 million contract that expired after the 2010 season.

Collins shared the stage with Young last season despite suffering injuries to his middle finger and thumb. Collins took over for good after Young suffered a season-ending injury to his right thumb Nov. 21, though the Titans only won one of their final six games in finishing 6-10.

"Kerry had a great NFL career, and we have been very fortunate to have had him with our organization for the last five years," Titans coach Mike Munchak said in a statement released by the team. "I really enjoyed working with him. He was a true pro who loved the game. His work ethic and commitment were a great example to his teammates of what it took to be successful in this league."

Said Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt in a statement: "Kerry accomplished a great deal in his career both personally and as the leader of some great teams. He was a talented passer and became a true professional. We were fortunate to have him as a member of our team over the last five years, and we wish him and his family the best."

Collins threw for 40,441 yards -- good for 11th on the NFL's all-time list -- with 206 touchdowns and 195 interceptions in 195 career games. He was the fifth overall pick by the Carolina Panthers in the 1995 NFL Draft and also played for the New Orleans Saints (1998), New York Giants (1999-2003) and Oakland Raiders (2004-05) before joining the Titans.

As a starter, Collins lead his teams to the playoffs four times, including an NFL Championship Game appearance during the 1996 season with the Panthers and a Super Bowl appearance with the Giants in the 2000 season.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Kerry Collins wasn't what you would consider an elite QB, but i thought he was decent.

And i've been reading alot of this stuff that Espn has been saying about the NFL's lockout, and they make it seem like it could end at any mintute now. I know they've made alot of progress towards getting a new agreement done, but how much longer do you guys think the lockouts gonna be around for?

I want free agencey, my Raiders need a little help if they want to make the playoffs this year.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I don't know how much more the lockout is going to last. I want to talk SPORTS. I don't want to discuss business and I'm not watching E-SPAN until this crap is done with.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
You know until I read that report about Kerry Collins retiring I totally forgot about Vince Young. I say when it is able to happen he gets traded to the Cardinals. Far as Kerry goes even though I mostly remember him for totally getting owned by the Ravens D in the superbowl he has a pretty good career and is a solid QB.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah i agree with you RelaxItsMe, it's wicked annoying.

And i don't know i think that Vince Young is going to get traded to the Vikings that guy they dratfed Christan Ponder, i can't imagine him being there starter this season, even though he wouldn't have to do much work with Adrian Peterson in the backfield anyways, so i guess Young going to the Cardnials makes a little more sense than i orignally thought, but i think that Mcnabb is a better fit for the Cardinals. And also I can't remember is Larry Fritzgerald a free agent now?

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I'd take McNabb over Young any day of the week.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Well, i think that Young could be an incredible QB, i think he has to grow up and realise it's about the team, not just him. But i agree RIGHT now Mcnabb is a better choice at QB.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Haven't seen nothing about Fitz being a free agent unless I missed something.

And I'd take Mcnabb over VY too but that big ass contract Donovan has that Washington stupidly gave him is really gonna hurt his trade value so he might be stuck there.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Shit. I completely forgot about his contract,yeah not too many teams are going to want to take on a 32 millon dollar contract so in that case then yeah, Arizona should pick up Young atleast he's better than the current Qb's on there roster.

Kairi

Reaction score
Hines Ward Arrested for DUI in Atlanta <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Hines Ward Busted for DUI

6 minutes ago by TMZ Staff

Hines Ward -- star wide receiver for the Pittsburgh Steelers and reigning "Dancing With the Stars" champion -- was arrested this morning for driving under the influence of alcohol ... TMZ has learned.

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_3" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="480"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20"> </td><td class="td2" unselectable="on">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 550x300 and weights 37KB.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Ward was popped in Dekalb County, GA and held on $1,000 bond. He posted shortly thereafter and was released.

Story developing ...

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Status
Not open for further replies.