NFL 2011 Off-Season thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Maybe we are getting ahead of ourselves. He might not even be that good. Jake Locker was supposed to be a big shot.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
True, Blaine Gabbert also the Patriot's defense last night which was pretty much all third and fourth string players while starters just watched, killed Blaine last night. Supposedly the QB your Viking's drafted Christian Ponder was the most NFL ready Qb drafted, i'm sure he'll play at some point in the Viking's preseason opener. I'm gonna watch to see if Mcnabb plays any.

Kiffy Lube

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Well Ponder I think could have came into the NFL last year but decided to play another season in the NCAA and ended up getting injured. Not sure if that means he is ready to be thrown to the wolves, though. McNabb probably won't give a fuck about preseason.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Well wouldn't judge Blaine purely off a preseason game. I mean that isn't a great start at all but wouldn't write him off as not being able to turn into a serviceable QB.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Oh i know, i mean i think he was drafted to replace David Garrard at some point in time but he's gotta improve his game and during preseason might be the only chance he has if the Jags start Garrard this season.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Yeah don't think they are pushing Garrard out but he is the QB for the future if he turns out good. I think if it starts looking like they are out of playoff contention they will try him out outside of if David gets hurt of course. Which as far as that goes I see a barely over .500 record at best.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah, and i don't see them in the playoffs they looked pretty good last season they were number one in there division right before Thanksgiving then it all went downhill and ended 8-8 i think next season they'll be looking for a new head coach.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
The final scores in tonight's games.

MIA 28 ATL 23
CIN 3 DET 34
PIT 7 WSH 16
TB 25 KC 0
SF 3 NO 24

Kiffy Lube

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Glad I missed those useless blow outs.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
I don't know, im torn i like what the Falcons have done, but i think the Saints have a better coach and an easier schedule i believe. Then Tampa bay played really well last season and are gonna be looking to top that divsion this year and i'm not too worried about Carolina at this point. So i really don't know actually.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
T.J. Houshmandzadeh won't be the only big-name veteran paying a visit to the New England Patriots this week. Free-agent safety Darren Sharper , a 14-year veteran and a key member of the New Orleans Saints ' 2009 Super Bowl-winning squad, told NFL Network on Sunday that he will work out for the Patriots on Monday.

NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora reported that Houshmandzadeh , the former Cincinnati Bengals , Seattle Seahawks and Baltimore Ravens receiver, is also scheduled to visit Foxboro for a workout.

Houshmandzadeh, 33, teamed with Chad Ochocinco for some productive years with the Bengals (the Patriots acquired Ochocinco in a trade in late July), but was mostly disappointing in 2009 for the Seahawks and last season for the Ravens.

Sharper has 63 interceptions and 11 touchdowns in his career. He has made five Pro Bowls, but he also had knee surgery in 2010, and missed eight games that season.

The Boston Herald reports that in addition to Sharper, the Patriots will also work out safety Renaldo Hill , a 10-year veteran who most recently played for the Denver Broncos.

I'd be suprised if they signed Houshmandzadeh they seem to be stacked at wide receiver, but the Patriot's love vetran receiver's. Definitely think they'll make an offer to Sharper and Hill though. And if they can't get them signed, i'll bet The Eagles come in and pick em up.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. -- Daunte Culpepper is the latest addition to the San Francisco 49ers' stable of quarterbacks.

After a three-hour practice Sunday, San Francisco coach Jim Harbaugh said the team is bringing in the 34-year-old Culpepper for a tryout on Monday.

"We're going to have Daunte in for a workout and kick the tires," Harbaugh said. "I'm looking forward to that."

Harbaugh said Saturday that the 49ers have no clear-cut starter at quarterback after veteran Alex Smith and rookie Colin Kaepernick both had shaky performances in San Francisco's 24-3 loss to New Orleans in Friday's preseason opener.

Culpepper, the No. 11 pick in the 1999 draft, hasn't played in the NFL since an eight-game stint with Detroit in 2009. During an 11-year NFL career, mostly with the Minnesota Vikings, Culpepper has played in three Pro Bowls. He spent last season with the Sacramento Mountain Lions of the United Football League.

Smith and Kaepernick alternated most of the snaps Sunday during 11-on-11 drills in front of 8,200 fans at Candlestick Park. The 49ers were practicing on their home field as part of a full day of "Fan Fest" activities.

San Francisco will play its preseason home opener on Saturday against the Oakland Raiders.

Smith felt right at home in a stadium he wasn't sure he'd ever play in again. He was a question mark to return to San Francisco after last season's disappointing 6-10 finish, but the NFL lockout and the 49ers' new coaching staff gave him another chance with the team.

"It was a great day to come up here before we play," Smith said. "The sun's out and it's nice and windy. That's really familiar."

Smith is also familiar with training camp competitions. This is his fourth since the 49ers chose him No. 1 overall in the 2005 draft.

Smith lost out to veteran Tim Rattay during camp as a rookie, but was handed the starting job in each of the next two seasons. In 2008, the 49ers allowed journeyman J.T. O'Sullivan to compete for the starting job under new offensive coordinator Mike Martz. O'Sullivan was San Francisco's opening-day starter that season.

Smith was beaten out by Shaun Hill in 2009. Smith regained the starting job midway through that season and was San Francisco's regular starter last season.

The 49ers drafted Kaepernick in the second round this year to challenge Smith, who completed just 2 of 7 passes for 10 yards on Friday against the Saints. Harbaugh hasn't committed to either player as the starter, and he reiterated that stance Sunday.

"Alex is No. 1 on the depth chart right now, and Colin is No. 2," Harbaugh said. "They're still competing. We'll determine it on who's practicing better and who's playing better."

Smith completed five consecutive passes on a practice-ending drive Sunday that was stopped short of the end zone. That draw boos from fans after Smith was denied on a fourth-down scramble at the 2-yard line.

Kaepernick had drawn cheers when he ended the previous session by connecting with tight end Delanie Walker in the corner of the end zone. The rookie said he feels no different about the competition than he did when Smith arrived for his first practice with the team on Aug. 4.

"From the start, (Harbaugh) said the best player is going to play," Kaepernick said. "We're both out there working hard and competing for that starting spot. Ultimately, it's going to be up to Coach where the chips fall."

Undrafted rookies Jeremiah Masoli and McLeod Bethel-Thompson are the other quarterbacks on San Francisco's training camp roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.