NFL 2011 Off-Season thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Didn't know about the Lee Evans rumor. That would be perfect depending on what they gave up for him. Gonna be weird seeing the Ravens without Heap at TE though but guess the writing was on the wall with his injury troubles and drafting a TE.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
I heard it on NFL network, i'll try to find it and get it posted. And yeah it's going to be weird honestly never thought he'd be anything but a Raven, then his body started to give out. Same with Derrick Mason thought he'd retire as a Raven the Jets signed him.

Kairi

Reaction score
Eagles sign ex-Giant Steve Smith
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 10, 2011, 7:02 PM EDT

Getty ImagesThe Philadelphia Eagles aren’t done signing free agents.

Wide receiver Steve Smith, formerly of the NFC East rival New York Giants, has signed with Philadelphia, the Eagles announced.

Details of the contract haven’t been announced, but it’s reportedly a one-year deal, and the Eagles apparently didn’t have to break the bank to get Smith, who may have thought his best chance at a major payday would come from signing with a good team now and then testing free agency again in March.

The Giants were interested in bringing Smith back, but they were also concerned that it would be a long time before Smith’s injured knee was sufficiently healed that he could return any time soon.

The Eagles’ medical staff apparently checked out Smith’s knee and had a more optimistic diagnosis than the Giants’ medical staff.

If Smith can contribute, he’ll be yet another outstanding free agency addition in Philadelphia. He had a sensational season in 2009, catching 107 passes for 1,220 yards and seven touchdowns, and he was off to a very good start in 2010 before catching just one pass in the second half of the season.

If everyone is healthy and ready to go, a receiving corps of Smith, DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin and Jason Avant would be one o the best in the NFL.

Kairi

Reaction score
Source: Pats, Logan Mankins agreeEmailPrintComme nts176By Mike FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- When New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft said Wednesday afternoon that "probably you'll see our good friend Logan Mankins will be signed up soon, hopefully to be a Patriot for life," he wasn't kidding.

The guard agreed to a six-year deal with the team later in the day, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Kraft had said that the prospect of keeping Mankins long-term "couldn't have happened if we didn't do our planning for when we went into the lockout."

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Winslow Townson
Patriots guard Logan Mankins, left, shakes hands with owner Robert Kraft as tackle Matt Light, center, looks on Tuesday.
Mankins, an All-Pro in 2010, was assigned the franchise tag by the team this season. He was set to earn $10.1 million on a one-year contract but preferred the added security of a long-term deal.

Kraft had said that he wanted to get a deal done and hoped Mankins' camp did too, before the Sept. 20 deadline for tagged players to ink extensions.

"You can't sign everyone you want, so you need to plan and I think we did our planning knowing the kind of environment we were (in) coming into it," Kraft said. "We tried to position ourselves so we had our core veterans and we could continue to sign the people we want to sign. We think that Logan is among the best there is at the position. We drafted him and we want him here."

Mankins' desire for a long-term deal had led to a contentious relationship with the team over the past 16 months. Last season, he didn't report to the team until the eighth game of the season, unhappy with the decision to offer him a one-year, $3.26 million tender (which was eventually cut to $1.54 million) instead of a long-term contract. Earlier in this year's camp, though, Mankins said he saw this season as a chance to start fresh.

"This year, I'm putting everything behind me," Mankins said at the time. "I'm going to try to have a good year and help the team, and if I play good, things will take care of themselves."

Asked if it was encouraging to hear Mankins speak about the possibility of remaining a Patriot earlier in training camp, Kraft said Wednesday it was consistent with what he's heard from Mankins in his seven years with the team.

Reiss: Mankins deal is a win-win

Both the Patriots (cap relief, star player) and Logan Mankins (long-term security) get what they want in this deal, writes Mike Reiss. Story

Kraft also shared thoughts on one of the Patriots' new acquisitions, defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth, who comes with an impressive football resume and on- and off-field baggage.

"I met with him and I like the guy. He didn't come here for the money. He came here to be part of a team and win (and) I think in some ways improve his reputation," Kraft said. "So it's like a lot of meetings I have with these guys, I found him to be genuine and sincere. Now I hope he gets out on the field and does his thing."

Meanwhile, Kraft has enjoyed having receiver Chad Ochocinco on the team.

"I think you have to love the guy. I have people emailing me who would like to host him. I'm not sure I want the responsibility," Kraft said with a smile, one day after Ochocinco declared he would be living with a fan for the first few weeks of the season until he gets acclimated.

Kraft also retraced the Patriots' steps from before the lockout.

"One of the things I'm most proud of coming into the season is we knew this was coming, and we made an effort to tie up our key veterans, people like Tom Brady, Stephen Gostkowski and Vince Wilfork," he said. "Now, when you have this quick period where you have to react, we were able to get a lot of seasoned veterans on shorter-term contracts -- people like Albert Haynesworth and Chad Ochocinco, Andre Carter and Shaun Ellis.

"As you look out and look to the playoffs at the end of this year, I think you'll see those teams that had stability both in terms of their coaching and quarterback have the best chance, in my opinion. ... That's been done with a lot of thought and a lot of planning."

Kraft touched briefly on his role in labor negotiations while praising Indianapolis Colts center Jeff Saturday, who was a leading presence as part of the players' executive committee and who gave a public nod to Kraft for his role in the process just days after his wife's death. Kraft also revealed that he received a letter of thanks from Colts president Bill Polian, who has been one of the franchise's biggest adversaries over the last decade.

"I'm just happy football is back," Kraft said. "This is our 18th season and we never dreamt there would be a lockout like this.

"Football is back in Foxborough."

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Not a suprise there, no way were the Patriots letting him go.

Also thought this was kinda funny

The Washington Redskins haven't won the NFC East since 1999. A confident Rex Grossman believes that drought will come to an end this season.

The defending division champion Philadelphia Eagles have grabbed the offseason headlines with their free-agent spending spree, which included CB Nnamdi Asomugha, DT Cullen Jenkins and DE Jason Babin, and the talented Dallas Cowboys are a candidate to rebound with new coach Jason Garrett and a healthy Tony Romo at quarterback. The New York Giants won the division as recently as 2008 and are the last NFC East team to win the Super Bowl.

But Grossman says the team no one is talking about will come out on top.

"We're fine being the sleepers right now," Grossman said Tuesday in an interview with Comcast SportsNet. "You know, we're just waiting in the wings, ready to take over the NFC East.

"Nobody's talking about us. That's right where we want to be. You look at us from top to bottom out here, there's a bunch of great players. And we don't need people saying we're the best right now, but when it's all said and done, I really feel like this team's gonna win the East."

Grossman, who is listed at No. 1 on the Redskins' depth chart at the quarterback position, was the starter for the Chicago Bears when they played in the Super Bowl in the 2006 season. He says the Redskins' offensive talent is better than the offense he led in Chicago.

"I look around, this offense from top to bottom is better than that offense I had in Chicago," Grossman said. "The defense is gonna make a ton of strides this year. I know they are. It's gonna be fun. I know we're gonna be a good team."

Giants defensive end Justin Tuck, when asked to respond to Grossman's comments, told reporters Wednesday that he "couldn't care less."

Giants offensive tackle David Diehl said he and his teammates were keeping their focus on themselves and on their season opener -- which happens to be against the Redskins in Washington.

"Well, you're gonna hear from every team, they're gonna say the same answer. We're just continuing to take each and every day," Diehl said. "I just know that we're moving in the right direction, and we're gonna be ready to go on Sept. 11."

While Grossman is talking big, he's not guaranteed to be the Redskins' starting quarterback. John Beck also has a chance to start at quarterback this season, but a groin injury has slowed him in training camp. Coach Mike Shanahan had praised Beck in April, and the quarterback said during the lockout that he was approaching the season as if he were the team's starter.

The Redskins finished 6-10 last season, their first under Shanahan. Their last winning season was in 2007, when the team made the playoffs as a wild card under former coach Joe Gibbs.

The Redskins have undergone a transformation this offseason. Gone are Donovan McNabb, Albert Haynesworth and Clinton Portis. Several players have been added to the roster through free agency and trades.

Donte' Stallworth and Jabar Gaffney were added to the receiving corps, and top wideout Santana Moss was re-signed.

In the backfield, Tim Hightower was acquired in a trade with Arizona and can give Ryan Torain a break on third down and step in if Torain, who missed four games in 2010 with a hamstring injury, gets hurt again.

On defense, ex-Giant Barry Cofield is an upgrade at nose tackle, the position Haynesworth refused to play. The Redskins also improved at defensive end, signing ex-Cowboy Stephen Bowen.

Cornerback Josh Wilson and safety O.J. Atogwe were added to strengthen the secondary

Sorry but there is no way the Redskins are going to win that divsion, not with the Cowboys having Tony Romo back and wanting to rebound from last year. Then you have the Eagles, who have picked up pretty much every big free agent that was avalible maybe the Redskins will do better than the Giants, but even thats a longshot.

Kairi

Reaction score
<table border="0" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="pbn5" vAlign="top" width="75%">Chad Ochocinco is looking for a roommate.
The NewEnglandPatriots wide receiver told reporters that he plans to move in with a Patriots fan as he becomes accustomed to his new surroundings in Boston.
"I'm going to do something different, I'm actually going to stay with a fan for the first two, three weeks of the season," Ochocinco said Tuesday after practice. "That should be fun, until I get myself acclimated and learn my way around."
When asked if he was being serious, Ochocinco replied: "Have I ever lied to you before?"
New England Patriots wide receiver Chad Ochocinco told reporters he plans to move in with a Patriots fan as he becomes accustomed to his new surroundings in Boston. (AP Photo)
The wide receiver maintains he has just two qualifications: The fan must have Internet access and an Xbox.
Ochocinco made headlines in the offseason for his whimsical approach to the NFL lockout. He rode a bull, drove a car at a NASCAR track, tried out for Major League Soccer club Sporting Kansas City and considered going alligator hunting.
The CincinnatiBengals traded Ochocinco to New England days after the NFL lockout ended for a pair of late-round draft picks.

<!-- / message -->

</td></tr><tr><td class="pbn4" vAlign="top"> </td></tr></tbody></table>

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
^ I thought that was really weird when i first read about it the other day, really curious to know if he'll actually go through with it.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
bets on how long it takes till bob sanders gets hurts

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
i'm surprised he has not injured himself just by walking around.

that first drive by the Chargers was impressive

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
fuck this new kick off rule, i know it's for players safety and all but all we are going to get is touch backs.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Preseason games are going on? They are still a waste of time to watch.

I do hate the new kick off rule, too. It's eliminating one of the most exciting parts of the game pretty much.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
i only like watching the first quarter because all the starters play, after that i don't give a fuck.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I might want to check out McNabb before the season starts, but I doubt he'll even try to impress outside a real game.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
The kickoff rule pisses me off, i loved kickoff returns for touchdowns. But hey we can't really complain too much they could still be in a lockout.

Status
Not open for further replies.