New Japan Pro-Wrestling General Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
Really enjoyed day 1 of the Super Juniors, Taguchi vs Kanamaru, Marty Scurll vs Will Ospreay and Dragon Lee vs Hiromu Takahashi were all awesome. It was so nice to see Will's smug face tap out!

But Dragon Lee and Takahashi as usual tried killing eachother, although compared to that Jr. Heavyweight match they had a little while back, this was much more tame. Love that rivalry.

I am really hyped about seeing Bushi vs Ospreay, Takahashi vs Scurll and Dragon Lee vs Scurll/Ospreay.

Jeffry Mason

Your Local Sports Team Sucks
Reaction score
Been busy, about to watch Day 1 right now, drinking game style. Shot of Crown for every dive to the outside. Wish me luck lol

On a side note...BUSHI or Takahashi in the finals would please me too much

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
Been busy, about to watch Day 1 right now, drinking game style. Shot of Crown for every dive to the outside. Wish me luck lol

On a side note...BUSHI or Takahashi in the finals would please me too much

lol good luck indeed! I hope you have a full bottle.

BUSHI deserves a push imo, I really enjoy his matches.

Reactions: Jeffry Mason

Jeffry Mason

Reaction score
lol good luck indeed! I hope you have a full bottle.

BUSHI deserves a push imo, I really enjoy his matches.
Thanks lol. 3rd match just started, already 3 deep. I apparently forgot to buy a full bottle, so hopefully this half is enough.

BUSHI might be one of the most underrated guys on the entire roster. Dude kills it almost every match he has, but I feel like he's been overshadowed by stablemate Takahashi being in the same division. Not that Takahashi doesn't deserve it, because he certainly does; his match with KUSHIDA at WK11 was my personal match of that night; but I feel like he's getting the push that BUSHI has earned for himself over the past couple of years.

Reactions: Geese

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
Thanks lol. 3rd match just started, already 3 deep. I apparently forgot to buy a full bottle, so hopefully this half is enough.

BUSHI might be one of the most underrated guys on the entire roster. Dude kills it almost every match he has, but I feel like he's been overshadowed by stablemate Takahashi being in the same division. Not that Takahashi doesn't deserve it, because he certainly does; his match with KUSHIDA at WK11 was my personal match of that night; but I feel like he's getting the push that BUSHI has earned for himself over the past couple of years.

Yeah that's pretty much how I see it too. Takahashi is one of my favourite wrestlers across promotions but Bushi is someone that definitely deserves a push. For a while he was doing the whole EVIL, Sanada, BUSHI never 3 man tag championship, and that's not a waste but he deserves a singles push. I think eventually we might see Takahashi move up to IC and Bushi take his spot with Naito going down to the Never Openweight title to feud with Minoru Suzuki or the IWGP World Championship. Well that's the hope anyway XD

Jeffry Mason

Reaction score
Spoiler alert (lol): Only 10 shots to get through Day 1. And yes, I counted both Dragon Lee dives from the inside to Takahashi on the apron.

Overall, show was about what was to be expected from the opening night. Lee/Takahashi was an amazing main as expected. TAKA/Liger was a decent opener, better than I expected at least. Only really forgettable matches IMO were Ospreay/Scurll and Taguchi/Kanemaru, which is less than surprising considering those 2 matches contained 3 of the 4 people in the tournament who I don't care for. Overall, I'd recommend this show to anyone with a NJWorld subscription

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
Spoiler alert (lol): Only 10 shots to get through Day 1. And yes, I counted both Dragon Lee dives from the inside to Takahashi on the apron.

Overall, show was about what was to be expected from the opening night. Lee/Takahashi was an amazing main as expected. TAKA/Liger was a decent opener, better than I expected at least. Only really forgettable matches IMO were Ospreay/Scurll and Taguchi/Kanemaru, which is less than surprising considering those 2 matches contained 3 of the 4 people in the tournament who I don't care for. Overall, I'd recommend this show to anyone with a NJWorld subscription

Actually, Day 1 is free. So even if you don't have the subscription you can watch that. (just day 1 though)

Jeffry Mason

Reaction score
Actually, Day 1 is free. So even if you don't have the subscription you can watch that. (just day 1 though)
That makes even more sense then, with them giving the Lee/Takahashi match for the actual fans, the Liger/TAKA match for the long time casuals, and the Ospreay/Scurll match for the shitty mainstream internet Smarky Mark and the Funky Bunch. May not be able to watch these live due to working graveyards and going to indie shows, but for anyone who's actually interested, I'll be giving these shitty half-assed reviews for the remainder of the BOTSJ shows, drunkeness pending on how many dives happen each show ;).

Anyone who has Skype, doesn't mind watching these delayed or for a second time, and who is somewhat more of a knowledgeable New Japan fan than me, I'd love to record some amateur English commentary with me for these, since I can't seem to find any online. Just throwin it out there

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I haven't seen the NJPW Dominion show yet, but as an American, I need to speak up.

The card for the G1 special is looking really solid. I'm really pumped for this tournament!
However, seeing Cody and - especially - Billy Gunn challenge for titles is such a terrible idea.
I don't see why you'd expect them to draw American fans. The current New Japan product that's more widely accessible can do okay business in the States.
You don't need to do this. Don't pander to us. Same goes to you, Smackdown.

Mike Thunder

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
I haven't seen the NJPW Dominion show yet, but as an American, I need to speak up.

The card for the G1 special is looking really solid. I'm really pumped for this tournament!
However, seeing Cody and - especially - Billy Gunn challenge for titles is such a terrible idea.
I don't see why you'd expect them to draw American fans. The current New Japan product that's more widely accessible can do okay business in the States.
You don't need to do this. Don't pander to us. Same goes to you, Smackdown.
Come on! You're acting like you don't want to see Mr. Ass vs Mr. Ace!

Tanahashi probably wants to have a slower safer match due to his injury and Billy Gunn is an experienced wrestler. It makes sense.

Jeffry Mason

Reaction score
Billy Gunn is the best member of the Bullet Club Hunters currently on the roster, why is it so unbelievable that he would get a title shot? Cody Rhodes on the other hand...blatant pandering, and holy shit I could not care less about the dude and his uber-WWE style of wrestling.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Favorite Wrestler
wAjEdMB
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero2
The real appeal of the US specials is the Championship tourney tbh. The title matches are just there to get a cheap pop and a fun time out of the audience. Although, I would have gone for Sabre Jr against Tanahashi instead of Billy Gunn tbh.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
The specials card to me says that either New Japan don't get what it is that is attracting western fans to their product (but at the same time how do they not know that?). Or they put a whole lot of faith in guys like Cody and Gunn putting extra eyes on the shows from the casual market. Despite the fact of Cody being Cody and Gunn being irrelevant in western wrestling since his last WWE run.

But the shows sold out way before any cards were announced so jokes on the fans in attendance I guess.

Reactions: Snowman1