New Japan Pro-Wrestling General Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jeffry Mason

Your Local Sports Team Sucks
Reaction score
The specials card to me says that either New Japan don't get what it is that is attracting western fans to their product (but at the same time how do they not know that?). Or they put a whole lot of faith in guys like Cody and Gunn putting extra eyes on the shows from the casual market. Despite the fact of Cody being Cody and Gunn being irrelevant in western wrestling since his last WWE run.

But the shows sold out way before any cards were announced so jokes on the fans in attendance I guess.
If Cody is allowed to speak or do ANYTHING character related whatsoever, it will be worth it. This, in addition to the (somewhat) subtle story they have been building between Cody and Omega, will make this match work for both Western and native fans. Billy Gunn...well he was probably just easy to book since he's kinda sorta part of New Japan, but also lives stateside. I'd imagine they'd try to get all the Americans they can on this tour, since it is cheaper than flying them to Japan (presumably; I can't claim to know much about costs of flights to and from to Japan). He may not be Naito, but he can certainly bring it when he is needed to in order to get a match that isn't easy to shit all over after it happens

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
If Cody is allowed to speak or do ANYTHING character related whatsoever, it will be worth it. This, in addition to the (somewhat) subtle story they have been building between Cody and Omega, will make this match work for both Western and native fans. Billy Gunn...well he was probably just easy to book since he's kinda sorta part of New Japan, but also lives stateside. I'd imagine they'd try to get all the Americans they can on this tour, since it is cheaper than flying them to Japan (presumably; I can't claim to know much about costs of flights to and from to Japan). He may not be Naito, but he can certainly bring it when he is needed to in order to get a match that isn't easy to shit all over after it happens
For all we know old Billy Cancer could be involved in the new japan US territory that is being set up.

Or they just let Tanahashi chose because it's Tanahashi

Jeffry Mason

Reaction score
List of G1 competitors announced this morning:

• Hiroshi Tanahashi
  • Togi Makabe
  • Michael Elgin
  • Kazuchika Okada
  • Hirooki Goto
  • Tomohiro Ishii
  • Toru Yano
  • Yoshi-Hashi
  • Kenny Omega
  • Bad Luck Fale
  • Tama Tonga
  • Tetsuya Naito
  • Sanada
  • Evil
  • Satoshi Kojima
  • Yuji Nagata
  • Juice Robinson
  • Minoru Suzuki
  • Zack Sabre Jr.
  • Kota Ibushi

Mostly unsurprising, but I could not personally be happier that Juice will be getting his chance to shine here. Not super excited to have to watch 9 ZSJ matches, but the additions of Ibushi, Juice, and Suzuki make it tough for me to even be mad

Mike Thunder

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
List of G1 competitors announced this morning:

• Hiroshi Tanahashi
  • Togi Makabe
  • Michael Elgin
  • Kazuchika Okada
  • Hirooki Goto
  • Tomohiro Ishii
  • Toru Yano
  • Yoshi-Hashi
  • Kenny Omega
  • Bad Luck Fale
  • Tama Tonga
  • Tetsuya Naito
  • Sanada
  • Evil
  • Satoshi Kojima
  • Yuji Nagata
  • Juice Robinson
  • Minoru Suzuki
  • Zack Sabre Jr.
  • Kota Ibushi

Mostly unsurprising, but I could not personally be happier that Juice will be getting his chance to shine here. Not super excited to have to watch 9 ZSJ matches, but the additions of Ibushi, Juice, and Suzuki make it tough for me to even be mad
I'm very excited for Ibushi!
I have a feeling he and Omega will face off in the final.

Jeffry Mason

Reaction score
I'm very excited for Ibushi!
I have a feeling he and Omega will face off in the final.
Anyone but Omega again I'd be happy with being in the finals. I feel like since the last match between Okada/Omega didn't have a winner, Omega already has a claim to another title match, and they could use this tournament to boost someone else and give them a shot. I feel more like those two (Omega/Ibushi) will be in the same block and be on either the first or last show of the tournament, since those two normally feel like they get the biggest matches. Perhaps Omega/Okada 3 happens during this tournament, giving Omega the win over Okada and earning him a title match (creating a 4th match in this series) without having to give Omega the win 2 years in a row just to make it happen. I know the wrestling is gonna be good throughout, but I'd just like a tournament that isn't WWE levels of predictable

Reactions: Snowman1

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
The specials card to me says that either New Japan don't get what it is that is attracting western fans to their product (but at the same time how do they not know that?). Or they put a whole lot of faith in guys like Cody and Gunn putting extra eyes on the shows from the casual market. Despite the fact of Cody being Cody and Gunn being irrelevant in western wrestling since his last WWE run.

But the shows sold out way before any cards were announced so jokes on the fans in attendance I guess.

The thing is, if they think Cody and Gunn are draws, it's built like this year's Wrestlemania in that way. They have those two getting title shots but the tournament is your usual quality New Japan. If Cody really draws some extra eyes then they'll get plenty familiar with the Japanese talent putting on stellar tournament matches.

As you say, it's just annoying to see if this becomes a trend. One match I'll get over, but NJPW should know that the Japanese talent can get over stateside fairly easily

JUUUUIIICCCCEEE!!!!

Reactions: ¡Tranquilo!

Mike Thunder

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
NJPW G1 CLIMAX 27 BLOCKS ANNOUNCED!

A BLOCK
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Togi Makabe
Tomohiro Ishii
Hirooki Goto
YOSHI-HASHI
Bad Luck Fale
Yuji Nagata
Zack Sabre Jr.
Kota Ibushi
Tetsuya Naito

B BLOCK
Kazuchika Okada
Toru Yano
Satoshi Kojima
Michael Elgin
Juice Robinson
Tama Tonga
SANADA
EVIL
Minoru Suzuki
Kenny Omega

THE HYPE IS REAL!

Jeffry Mason

Reaction score
Perhaps Omega/Okada 3 happens during this tournament, giving Omega the win over Okada and earning him a title match
NJPW G1 CLIMAX 27 BLOCKS ANNOUNCED!

B BLOCK
Kazuchika Okada
Toru Yano
Satoshi Kojima
Michael Elgin
Juice Robinson
Tama Tonga
SANADA
EVIL
Minoru Suzuki
Kenny Omega
New Japan obviously reads all my posts for booking suggestions. So yeah, hey Gedo:
I want Juice to win the IWGP Heavyweight championship
;)

Reactions: Mike Thunder

Jeffry Mason

Reaction score
Hey Josh, JR...how about shutting the fuck up and letting us listen to the introductions

Reactions: seabs